The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 10 October 2020, 10:35 PM   #31
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Skip for me. Impossible for me to separate Mel from Mel.
Old 10 October 2020, 10:39 PM   #32
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Looks great! I’ve been a huge fan of Walton Goggins since Justified, so I’ll watch it for sure.
I agree; a really great character actor!!! He was absolutely stellar in Justified!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
Old 10 October 2020, 11:14 PM   #33
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I agree; a really great character actor!!! He was absolutely stellar in Justified!!!

I really liked him in Justified, but have yet to see anything else I like him in.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 October 2020, 11:25 PM   #34
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Really, and just by saying he's an adduct I somehow denigrated him. Is there a new PC way to say this that's more acceptable to you, or without offending your sensibilities? He's supposedly an addict or acholic, it is what it is.
you start by calling him a racist, then follow up with he's possibly abusive, then add that he's an addict or possible alcoholic. if you truely weren't trying to add that as another character flaw, you chose extremely poor form in expressing your knowledge of the actor.

What would I find acceptable?

not mentioning peoples disabilities and illnesses when describing their character flaws. he's not an alcoholic or an addict, he suffers from an addiction.

judging others for a mental illness is just as bad as judging someone for the color of their skin. reading your posts is like the pot calling the kettle black imo
Old 10 October 2020, 11:30 PM   #35
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Really, and just by saying he's an adduct I somehow denigrated him. Is there a new PC way to say this that's more acceptable to you, or without offending your sensibilities? He's supposedly an addict or acholic, it is what it is.
people and their feelings in 2020 sheesh. Obese people are big boned, alcoholics just have an overzealous enjoyment for alcoholic drinks, and 2nd place almost won the race....trophies for everyone
Old 10 October 2020, 11:30 PM   #36
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I always get the feeling that Mel Gibson is a creep playing a nice guy in movies and Walton Goggins is a nice guy playing a creep in movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Looks great! I’ve been a huge fan of Walton Goggins since Justified, so I’ll watch it for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Quote:
I really liked him in Justified, but have yet to see anything else I like him in.
I agree with all of these. I enjoy his work as well.

Dan, Justified is where I first learned of him as well but he was also great in SIX, Tomb Raider (the one without Jolie), Ant Man/Wasp and a few others I can come up with now. He actually had smaller parts in a few movies that pre date justified where he was good as well, I didn’t recognize him originally only after rewatching them. They also escape me right now. IMDB would probably clear it up for me.
Old 10 October 2020, 11:36 PM   #37
donas
Banned

Watch: 116619
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post

Dan, Justified is where I first learned of him as well but he was also great in SIX, Tomb Raider (the one without Jolie), Ant Man/Wasp and a few others I can come up with now. He actually had smaller parts in a few movies that pre date justified where he was good as well, I didn’t recognize him originally only after rewatching them. They also escape me right now. IMDB would probably clear it up for me.
Don't forget his great scumbag cop role in The Shield!!
Old 10 October 2020, 11:42 PM   #38
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post

Your probably right. I've only seen him in a few other things but none of the ones you've mentioned. Thanks.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 October 2020, 11:46 PM   #39
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
people and their feelings in 2020 sheesh. Obese people are big boned, alcoholics just have an overzealous enjoyment for alcoholic drinks, and 2nd place almost won the race....trophies for everyone
Exactly

OMG, I am so glad I grew when I did. Just too bad, I have to see what and how we have all become.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 10 October 2020, 11:50 PM   #40
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Love this post.

So true.

Everyone WANTS to be upset today.

I truly think this all started with participation trophies.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
Old 11 October 2020, 12:00 AM   #41
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Don't forget his great scumbag cop role in The Shield!!
I hear about that show a lot and it’s always getting recommend but admittedly I’ve never seen the shield. I’m going to have to look into that next.
Old 11 October 2020, 12:10 AM   #42
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Fatman Trailer w/Crazy Mel Gibson & Walton Goggins

I understand quite a few are calling him racist. I just watched the trailer posted as the YouTube link and the “racist” is kissing a woman of another race. I don’t think many people that have beliefs of racism would do that for any amount of money. I do not know of the context or the incident in which he was being racist. I do know he played a character that didn’t like aliens very much though. Hold the judgement for something someone said once unless you know them. Social media has given platforms to anyone that can edit anything and make any of us look vile. Don’t throw rocks when you live in a glass house. I’m sure 90% of us here would be in the same boat but for a litany of different reasons if there were cameras present during some alcohol fueled tirades and we were celebrities. Get more facts before making judgements on just one instance.

Also, the movie looks like a fun watch. I like the different take on Santa Clause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 October 2020, 12:11 AM   #43
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
I won’t see anything with Mel attached. He’s human garbage in my opinion.
Old 11 October 2020, 12:13 AM   #44
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Love this post.

So true.

Everyone WANTS to be upset today.

I truly think this all started with participation trophies.
plenty in here bashing Mel for being racist, and rightfully so. Judging others based on the way they were born is unacceptable.

whether people realize it or not, Alcoholism and Addiction are both legitimate mental illnesses, and while there are many unknowns. it's a pretty wide held belief there's a genetic link to it.

I don't want to be upset, and this doesn't bother me all that much, but 15 million people in this country currently suffer from this illness and there aren't enough resources to help half of them, a majority won't seek help because no one wants to admit "they have a problem" so the first step is to destigmatize the condition so people are more averse to getting help, and ultimately getting control of their lives in a healthy manner again.
Old 11 October 2020, 12:33 AM   #45
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
plenty in here bashing Mel for being racist, and rightfully so. Judging others based on the way they were born is unacceptable.

whether people realize it or not, Alcoholism and Addiction are both legitimate mental illnesses, and while there are many unknowns. it's a pretty wide held belief there's a genetic link to it.

I don't want to be upset, and this doesn't bother me all that much, but 15 million people in this country currently suffer from this illness and there aren't enough resources to help half of them, a majority won't seek help because no one wants to admit "they have a problem" so the first step is to destigmatize the condition so people are more averse to getting help, and ultimately getting control of their lives in a healthy manner again.
Supposedly his father is where he got his anti-semantic beliefs. So in effect since this is how he was brought up maybe we shouldn't hold him accountable for this either.

What you think?

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 October 2020, 01:30 AM   #46
Mifune
Banned

I am kind of excited for this... and I hate action films.
Old 11 October 2020, 01:43 AM   #47
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Nature doesn’t care about feelings.

We are not all equal, even if we want to play like we are. Some of us have strengths and weaknesses.

Some people compensate for their weaknesses and get stronger. And others motivate and grow. And get stronger.

Others still fall back on their weaknesses and use them as excuses. And some give them a pass because they were born that way.

Nature doesn’t care one way or another. We are the only species that promotes procreation of the weak. And it weakens our species as a whole. If someone doesn’t want to seek help, so be it. If they do, the more power to them. Life is not supposed to be easy. That’s a made up thing our species has created.

Giving participation trophies has the same effect. Some people deserve to be successful through skill and effort. Some don’t. Not everyone is supposed to win.

I personally don’t care one bit if Mel is anti Semitic. And I’m Jewish. I watch his movies because they are good. I don’t want to be his pal. He’s got his demons and his weaknesses. He clearly has been able to overcome them and live a successful life. Doesn’t change the laws on nature.

Our emotions and our “sensibilities” don’t change facts of life.

Old 11 October 2020, 03:01 AM   #48
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
Quote:

We are not all equal, even if we want to play like we are. Some of us have strengths and weaknesses.

Some people compensate for their weaknesses and get stronger. And others motivate and grow. And get stronger.

Others still fall back on their weaknesses and use them as excuses. And some give them a pass because they were born that way.

Nature doesn’t care one way or another. We are the only species that promotes procreation of the weak. And it weakens our species as a whole. If someone doesn’t want to seek help, so be it. If they do, the more power to them. Life is not supposed to be easy. That’s a made up thing our species has created.

Giving participation trophies has the same effect. Some people deserve to be successful through skill and effort. Some don’t. Not everyone is supposed to win.

I personally don’t care one bit if Mel is anti Semitic. And I’m Jewish. I watch his movies because they are good. I don’t want to be his pal. He’s got his demons and his weaknesses. He clearly has been able to overcome them and live a successful life. Doesn’t change the laws on nature.

Awesome post. Not many people understand this nor will even consider this because it would challenge their preconceptions.
Old 11 October 2020, 03:44 AM   #49
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Seth, a very United States centric response which parts of it I may agree with, BUT in a lot of places the zero sum game has been or attempted to be replaced with more of the "social contract" concept.

The winner take all concept that is prevalent in a lot of US thinking often mistakes financial gain or financial hording for "winning", which has held parts of the US population in good stead but has also created a very unequal society for other people.

The social contract used more by other countries where survival of the fittest and I win, you lose is replaced with a more humane division of resources so everyone benefits not just the lucky or the 'deserving", works just as well with a happier and more content population.

We all know that at times "man" can be benevolent and at times he can vicious, and the social contract we attempted to agree with as we formed societies was an attempt to mitigate our worst tendencies.

Life is messy.

As for Mel Gibson and his demons, I may forgive him for being a jerk, I just don't believe in supporting any financial gain from it.
Old 11 October 2020, 03:48 AM   #50
McLovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Quote:

Except we’re not in a state of nature. We’re in a complex civilization that is very far from the hunter-gatherer cultures of a few thousand years back. There are systemic inequities that make otherwise unfit people “successful,” i.e., well off, while putting a thumb on the scale against otherwise fit people who weren’t born to the right parents, class, nationality, what have you. I agree with you though that Mel’s movies are worth seeing.
Old 11 October 2020, 03:52 AM   #51
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Some deserve it for many reasons, but not all just because it came naturally. Losing can be a great motivator as well and unfortunately those who decided to give away participation trophies didn't quite understand this. Winning takes hard work and effort. There are those who like to win and are willing to do what it takes to get there. Giving away participation trophies has done nothing but teaching generations that there's no need to work when you can be perfectly satisfied and live life easy doing very little. There are consequences for most everything we do and don't do and if you don't believe that all you have to do is look at todays work force.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 11 October 2020, 07:00 AM   #52
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Utterly reprehensible!
I like it!

It's just all about health, happiness & family. The rest are just necessary inconvenience we have to deal with.
Old 11 October 2020, 07:15 AM   #53
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Look forward to it and love Mel Gibson movies.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Old 11 October 2020, 07:18 AM   #54
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Appreciate what you guys above are saying about my comment. Thank you for your thoughts.

Hard to respond to all that without getting political.

So I’ll leave it at, I appreciate your perspective. Which I very much so do.

Old 11 October 2020, 07:55 AM   #55
Brenngun

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
you start by calling him a racist, then follow up with he's possibly abusive, then add that he's an addict or possible alcoholic. if you truely weren't trying to add that as another character flaw, you chose extremely poor form in expressing your knowledge of the actor.

What would I find acceptable?

not mentioning peoples disabilities and illnesses when describing their character flaws. he's not an alcoholic or an addict, he suffers from an addiction.

judging others for a mental illness is just as bad as judging someone for the color of their skin. reading your posts is like the pot calling the kettle black imo
Unfortunately his addition is racism. That effects everyone.

Quote:

And therein lies one of the biggest problems of our modern society. Too may people don't care or think it doesn't affect them within a specific context i.e. movies, actors, politicians etc. But guess what it does.

I don't care if you're Jewish or a member of any other group, racism and it's associated hate is completely unacceptable behavior in a civilized society. It needs to be eradicated in any and every aspect of life. Failing to do this accepts the peripheral resulting actions inviting the inevitable growth. Next thing you know. There it is. Right in front of you having a direct affect on your life.

Old 11 October 2020, 08:03 AM   #56
Romeojk

Watch: Submariner 114060
Unfollowed and moving on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 October 2020, 08:04 AM   #57
Knappo 1307

Watch: Sea Dweller
Ibtl...
Old 11 October 2020, 09:12 AM   #58
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Unfortunately his addition is racism. That effects everyone.

And therein lies one of the biggest problems of our modern society. Too may people don't care or think it doesn't affect them within a specific context i.e. movies, actors, politicians etc. But guess what it does.

I don't care if you're Jewish or a member of any other group, racism and it's associated hate is completely unacceptable behavior in a civilized society. It needs to be eradicated in any and every aspect of life. Failing to do this accepts the peripheral resulting actions inviting the inevitable growth. Next thing you know. There it is. Right in front of you having a direct affect on your life.
Good luck with that.

If you think bigotry can be eradicated, you simply aren’t paying attention.

Many of you give our species too much credit. But from fighting someone, and causing them physical harm, based on their sport team preference, to choosing sides with a friend because you want to believe they didn’t act a certain way, having a bias is as natural as eating and breathing.

Don’t hate the player. Hate the game.

Bias is not just ingrained. It’s a natural part of our evolution. You can fight it, or flow with it.

I have big hopes for our species too. Have always had them. And then I look around. And then I look at history. Literally since the beginning of our recorded history.

Nature doesn’t care what we want. Or if we live in a city rather than the jungle. It simply is. And bias is part of nature. Accept that or not. But it’s indisputable and factually proven through centuries.

Again, don’t hate the player. Hate the game.

Old 11 October 2020, 09:16 AM   #59
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

And civilized, cmon...

Are you watching what’s happening in the world. Literally today. Like, right now genocide is happening. This very second.

Words like “civilized” and “humane” are a coverup and they are fiction. I hate it as much as you do. Doesn’t change what it is. Doesn’t change nature. Regardless of your geographical location or identity.

Old 11 October 2020, 11:59 AM   #60
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Looks like a fun film.
Closed Thread