The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 October 2020, 05:30 AM   #31
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by never2late View Post
In my 32 years of owning and wearing a Rolex I've only been asked about it on 3-4 separate occasions.
Same here........and it was usually by someone who was also wearing one.
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 05:33 AM   #32
matt_Denver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (no date)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Or perhaps you didn’t seem homeless, he had no other appointments and simply wanted to see if you were possibly interested in something since he was at the door anyways? He didn’t catch a Daytona glimmer from 20meters away and come sprinting
^ Agree 100%, that is MUCH more likely!!
Old 13 October 2020, 05:33 AM   #33
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Or he liked your dog? ;-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 05:35 AM   #34
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
The topic of whether Rolexes get noticed is a tricky one to quantify. I personally suspect that they get noticed a lot more often than we think. But to illustrate the circular nature of the positions taken on this question:

1. The only way to definitively know that someone notices your Rolex is if they tell you.

2. Just because no one mentions your Rolex does not = no one noticing. It is entirely possible that many people notice your Rolex but don’t say anything.

3. So the data pool is limited to the subset of noticers who say something. I’m guessing that many don’t mention an owners Rolex because it might be perceived as impolite or poor form. The main folks who do say something are either 1) tacky (a minority of the population) or 2) WIS (and even smaller minority in the population).

4. So we can neither confirm nor deny that Rolexes are noticed because there is likely “reporting bias” in our “data set”

True, I always notice a rolex but never say anything 9/10 times.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 05:53 AM   #35
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Totally plausible. I notice watches within a nano second glance and can usually tell what they are. What's so hard to understand???
With you on this one! I guess I interpreted it a lot differently than many. Maybe I’m missing something!
pjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 05:58 AM   #36
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Totally plausible. I notice watches within a nano second glance and can usually tell what they are. What's so hard to understand???
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsmith View Post
With you on this one! I guess I interpreted it a lot differently than many. Maybe I’m missing something!
Where's the whoosh emoji when you need it?

I was being facetious. If the watch was indeed noticed at all, I would think a jewelry store owner certainly could pick up on it. My point is that it's not a great example of making a case for a Rolex to be noticed. That being said, it's more likely the store owner just wanted business, even if the OP was wearing a G-Shock, he was being kind to a customer peeking in. Maybe he loves dogs.

But if that's validation for the OP that his Daytona didn't go unnoticed, then it's a win .
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:08 AM   #37
flytier
Banned

The person opening the door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
Recently there was a great discussion on whether Rolexes get noticed or big. This literally just happened to me: I’m on vacation in a coastal town in SoCal. I brought my dog with me so I’m walking him along some of the tony “village shops” along the waterfront. I was just doing some general browsing and stopped briefly in front of a jewelry store that looked closed, nobody was inside. I stopped just long enough to read their sign that said they’re appointment only or visit the web site. Couldn’t have been more than 5 seconds.

After walking away I could hear a lock and a door quickly opening, “Sir! Good morning! Would you like to come in??? We’d love to help you!”

I had my dogs leash in my left hand and my 116503 on the same wrist, left side towards the jewelry shop door. With my dog moving around, I think the Daytona must have been glinting in the sun while looking in the shop’s window. I’m presuming the shop owners noticed it and thought I was a business prospect.

Say what you will, Rolexes do get noticed.
The person opening the door made no mention of your Rolex, he/she may not have seen it at all. Anyone looking in the window is a possible business
prospect.
flytier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:11 AM   #38
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
They sure as hell do and ive got to be honest I dont like it one bit. Its to the point that I can't wear my SD43, DJ41 or Sub to work. In truth even when I'm not at work I get so sick of the first three questions about my watching being...is that a rolex? Is it real? How much was it?

I work in sales and deal with a relatively blue collar clientele. Ive had some nasty comments made to the point ill no longer wear them. Blessing in disguise really as that's what sent me to Tudor and ive got to be honest...its fast becoming my favorite brand. Im actually considering selling the SD43 and picking up a Pelagos while the market is hot. The average person has no idea what a Tudor is LOL

The thing is...im not a financially wealthy person by any standards in the western world. I like watches and have a modest collection. The same people that will bitch and make nasty comments on a 5k or 10k Rolex are in many cases the same people who will buy a 20k side by side or spend 10 grand jacking up a pickup truck.

Life is about priorities
A bit of a side track from me (fellow michigander), those ORV's and such are exactly how I justify owning my SubC, I'm disabled and can't ride anything like that or even choose what vehicle I'd prefer. I've been into watches my whole life and I hope to acquire at least a 3 piece collection of Rolexes, those I CAN enjoy :)

I say let them keep their comments, or ask what they spent on their "fishing' boat" they probably have. Spend your money how you choose! Enjoy the hobby friend!
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:18 AM   #39
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Of course they noticed, thats their business. They saw your wrist and immediately qualified you as a customer.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:21 AM   #40
whitelightning
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post

Not what I think of when I hear "side by side"
whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:23 AM   #41
sean1976
"TRF" Member

I used to work in hospitality and was discussing an issue with one of the VP bigwigs from the corporate office, in my office. He looked at my wrist and said “nice Seiko Monster”. I corrected him letting him know that it was a Rolex Submariner 116610LN. Awkward and uncomfortable silence. Moral of the story, even a peasant like me can afford to wear a Rolex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sean1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:26 AM   #42
Bigblu10
Banned

They most likely paid more attention to the dog than what was on your wrist.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:30 AM   #43
XtraCrispy
"TRF" Member

Watch: me closely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Sauce View Post
The topic of whether Rolexes get noticed is a tricky one to quantify. I personally suspect that they get noticed a lot more often than we think. But to illustrate the circular nature of the positions taken on this question:

1. The only way to definitively know that someone notices your Rolex is if they tell you.

2. Just because no one mentions your Rolex does not = no one noticing. It is entirely possible that many people notice your Rolex but don’t say anything.

3. So the data pool is limited to the subset of noticers who say something. I’m guessing that many don’t mention an owners Rolex because it might be perceived as impolite or poor form. The main folks who do say something are either 1) tacky (a minority of the population) or 2) WIS (and even smaller minority in the population).

4. So we can neither confirm nor deny that Rolexes are noticed because there is likely “reporting bias” in our “data set”

Totally agree.
Rolex Submariner TT 116613LB • Tudor 1926 41mm M91650-0005 • Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY201B.FT6150 • Oris Artelier Date OR733-7670-4051LS • Luminox XS.3505.SC • Alpina AlpinerX AL-283LNO5NAQ6L • Steinhart GMT-OCEAN 1 BLUE RED.2 • Casio G Shock GW-5000-1JF
XtraCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:31 AM   #44
vianouche1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
So you're saying that a jewelry store owner possibly noticed your Rolex in the 5 seconds you peeked in the window.

Got it. Great example.

Exactly! The utter level of Rolex snob: "let's find way to put in any random conversation that I have a Daytona."
And you probably left without buying anything to the store owner, proud of yourself.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
vianouche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:33 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I agree most likely they were slow and saw you standing there peering in and simply asked you in to make a sale. Did they ever mention your watch?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:35 AM   #46
vianouche1
"TRF" Member

Also, nobody ever said such definitive sentence "Rolex don't get noticed", and many Rolex owner know that their Rolex get noticed. I do not understand your choice for the title of this thread.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
vianouche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:45 AM   #47
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
Same here........and it was usually by someone who was also wearing one.
Exactly.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:52 AM   #48
pjsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

I was being facetious. If the watch was indeed noticed at all, I would think a jewelry store owner certainly could pick up on it. My point is that it's not a great example of making a case for a Rolex to be noticed. That being said, it's more likely the store owner just wanted business, even if the OP was wearing a G-Shock, he was being kind to a customer peeking in. Maybe he loves dogs.

But if that's validation for the OP that his Daytona didn't go unnoticed, then it's a win .
Gotcha, just reading for entertainment!
pjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 06:53 AM   #49
sambb
"TRF" Member

Someone told me once "Women notice watches as much as men notice their handbags. But men notice other men's wathces sometimes. And sometimes women notice other women's handbags. On the other hand, everyone will notice anything to get you to buy something"

I have no idea if this is true.
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:11 AM   #50
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Ideal bloke at the window.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:36 AM   #51
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
Not what I think of when I hear "side by side"
It’s a thing over here.
Easy E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:49 AM   #52
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
So you're saying that a jewelry store owner possibly noticed your Rolex in the 5 seconds you peeked in the window.

Got it. Great example.
This

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 07:58 AM   #53
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

Mr. Beam, is it important to you that others notice your watch?
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 08:11 AM   #54
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Cool story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 08:41 AM   #55
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
They sure as hell do and ive got to be honest I dont like it one bit. Its to the point that I can't wear my SD43, DJ41 or Sub to work. In truth even when I'm not at work I get so sick of the first three questions about my watching being...is that a rolex? Is it real? How much was it?

I work in sales and deal with a relatively blue collar clientele. Ive had some nasty comments made to the point ill no longer wear them. Blessing in disguise really as that's what sent me to Tudor and ive got to be honest...its fast becoming my favorite brand. Im actually considering selling the SD43 and picking up a Pelagos while the market is hot. The average person has no idea what a Tudor is LOL

The thing is...im not a financially wealthy person by any standards in the western world. I like watches and have a modest collection. The same people that will bitch and make nasty comments on a 5k or 10k Rolex are in many cases the same people who will buy a 20k side by side or spend 10 grand jacking up a pickup truck.
Which are quickly depreciating assets.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 08:44 AM   #56
FriendlyTotodial
"TRF" Member

projection
FriendlyTotodial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 09:04 AM   #57
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
As an aside I've had sports cars, luxury cars, convertibles and women never cared about any of them. Only got comments from dudes. But my Tesla Model S has been a babe magnet. For whatever reason chicks really like it and want a ride in it. They couldn't care less about a 500hp BMW convertible or a Bronco or a Fast n Furious car tho.
Noted!
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2020, 09:34 AM   #58
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilemma View Post
Mr. Beam, is it important to you that others notice your watch?
Exactly
Old 13 October 2020, 09:51 AM   #59
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

I was standing outside the Rolex AD at the Vendome in Paris last November, I was wearing my JC Deep Blue and before I could ring the bell next to the armed guard, the door opened and I was invited inside. I was actually trying not to show the watch too much in Paris!!
Old 13 October 2020, 10:27 AM   #60
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
As someone that lives in a SoCal Beach and small CentralCal Beach town, tourists are easy to pick out by shop owners. If you have a dog, even more so, because we locals walk our dogs on nearly the same route every day.

The jeweler, noticed your not-the-dogs-I-see-every-day, then noticed your Daytona as a potential customer.

The same thing happens with the local real estate offices along the Beach. It’s always the tourist that browse to look at the listings in the windows.

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is online now   Reply With Quote