The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 October 2020, 07:43 AM   #121
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
95% of the people almost anywhere in the world don't know the difference between a Rolex and a Timex. The OP had a jeweler possibly notice his watch, which proves nothing. Probably more than half the people working in jewelry stores don't know the difference between a Rolex and a Timex. One lady in the local Tiffany store said nice watch to me and that is the only comment I have gotten in about 5 years.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 07:46 AM   #122
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
So you're saying that a jewelry store owner possibly noticed your Rolex in the 5 seconds you peeked in the window.

Got it. Great example.
Exactly! Like saying another WIS noticed it...
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 07:50 AM   #123
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I’ve said it time and again; you cannot determine how many people notice a Rolex, you can only quantify how many comment on it. How many notice? The unquantifiable yet reasonable deduction is......more than you realize.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 07:52 AM   #124
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overwound View Post
Pssst, hey buddy, is that a hand wind or auto?
Haha
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 08:04 AM   #125
Rollright
"TRF" Member

I think a daytona and some other rolex models are not really subtle. So even though not everyone may immediately recognize it as a rolex, they will notice the watch.

A five digit explorer 2 for instance would more likely slip under the radar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Rollright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 08:48 AM   #126
PSTW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
Recently there was a great discussion on whether Rolexes get noticed or big. This literally just happened to me: I’m on vacation in a coastal town in SoCal. I brought my dog with me so I’m walking him along some of the tony “village shops” along the waterfront. I was just doing some general browsing and stopped briefly in front of a jewelry store that looked closed, nobody was inside. I stopped just long enough to read their sign that said they’re appointment only or visit the web site. Couldn’t have been more than 5 seconds.

After walking away I could hear a lock and a door quickly opening, “Sir! Good morning! Would you like to come in??? We’d love to help you!”

I had my dogs leash in my left hand and my 116503 on the same wrist, left side towards the jewelry shop door. With my dog moving around, I think the Daytona must have been glinting in the sun while looking in the shop’s window. I’m presuming the shop owners noticed it and thought I was a business prospect.

Say what you will, Rolexes do get noticed.
Once, I thought it might rain, and it did. My thoughts can influence the weather.
PSTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 08:56 AM   #127
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Happens occasionally and when I'm wearing my dssd but I have the excuse, I'm a diver. End of story

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 09:08 AM   #128
flytier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I’ve said it time and again; you cannot determine how many people notice a Rolex, you can only quantify how many comment on it. How many notice? The unquantifiable yet reasonable deduction is......more than you realize.
I'll probably get beat on for this, but that's OK, I've been beat on before.
I think most of these "Rolex Gets Noticed" threads are started by the young
punk a$$ kids on here who want their watch to get noticed, and make every effort to get it noticed. They think they are cool for wearing a Rolex and want everyone to know it. It is a watch, nothing more, nothing less. It is not a VIP pass into special clubs, bars and events like some think it is, it is still just a
f*&%ing watch.
flytier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 09:08 AM   #129
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
i’ve said it time and again; you cannot determine how many people notice a rolex, you can only quantify how many comment on it. How many notice? The unquantifiable yet reasonable deduction is......more than you realize.
exactly

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 09:27 AM   #130
Randy9999
"TRF" Member

Watch: red 1680; 6542
For those who think Rolexes don’t get noticed

As the sun brushed across your wrist, the Daytona’s dial crown glimmered, catching the shop owner’s attention. Until that very moment, he did not intend to reopen his shop, especially since it was mid-afternoon and his fibromyalgia was flaring again. But something about the glimmering dial crown cried out! “Here is someone worth your attention, Irving. The man is wearing a bonafide Daytona, for chrissakes! A Daytona! Open the damned door!” Almost tripping over his own gait as he rushed for the commercial Yale lock, the shopkeeper yelled out with an unexpectedly friendly cadence that caught you completely by surprise: “Halloooo! Would you like to come in and browse a bit?” By now, you’d become accustomed to the fact that others really were paying attention to your Rolex. It actually mattered, and so did you so long as the Daytona embraced your forearm’s worthy extremity. “No,” you answered slowly, reciprocating comity with collegiality, “not today.” The shopkeeper’s countenance betrayed disappointment. “But thanks for noticing my Daytona.” The end.
Randy9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 09:53 AM   #131
JCw463
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
As the sun brushed across your wrist, the Daytona’s dial crown glimmered, catching the shop owner’s attention. Until that very moment, he did not intend to reopen his shop, especially since it was mid-afternoon and his fibromyalgia was flaring again. But something about the glimmering dial crown cried out! “Here is someone worth your attention, Irving. The man is wearing a bonafide Daytona, for chrissakes! A Daytona! Open the damned door!” Almost tripping over his own gait as he rushed for the commercial Yale lock, the shopkeeper yelled out with an unexpectedly friendly cadence that caught you completely by surprise: “Halloooo! Would you like to come in and browse a bit?” By now, you’d become accustomed to the fact that others really were paying attention to your Rolex. It actually mattered, and so did you so long as the Daytona embraced your forearm’s worthy extremity. “No,” you answered slowly, reciprocating comity with collegiality, “not today.” The shopkeeper’s countenance betrayed disappointment. “But thanks for noticing my Daytona.” The end.

awesome haha
JCw463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 11:07 AM   #132
HiDive
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Seadweller50
Noticing Rolex

I worked for 8 years part time in a high volume REI store talking to customers and employees all the time, and I taught classes in bicycle mechanics, compass and map reading and wilderness skills. I even sold watches made by Garmin, G-Shock, Timex, Suunto, Momentum, Bertucci and a couple of others. I wore a bunch of different Rolex watches including a Kermit and couple of regular Subs, a two tone GMT, a DSSD, a couple of Seadwellers and many other nice mechanical watches and I only once remember someone commenting by saying "how much does REI pay that you can wear a Rolex." I told them that I worked at REI for fun and it had little to do with my income. I noticed other people wearing nice watches but I do not think that even the average Rolex wearer knows that much about them. I could be wrong but you would think that with the amount of people that I was in direct contact with, in a very friendly environment, I would have gotten a few more comments.
HiDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 11:59 AM   #133
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
I have 3 PM’s Rolex watches. They get noticed and some people comment or not. Usually is nice watch or I like your watch. If someone asks how much about anything I wear or own, either I say Miss Manners said not good to talk about how much we paid for something, but usually I say it was a gift .... “from
me to me”.... and I skip the quilted part. Usually that ends the conversation.

I have found that sometimes saying “I am a watch collector” also ends the conversation.....
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 12:18 PM   #134
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
Yesterday my boss said to me "nice watch". I was wearing my beater G-Shock. He was wearing his 5711/1A-011. What an a**!
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 01:59 PM   #135
phamou
"TRF" Member

On my end, people see a nice watch and the first question is: is it a Rolex?

Even non watch people know what a rolex is. I think if you wear a rolex you expect people to notice or at least don’t mind having someone asking if your watch is a rolex.

Its like driving a super nice red sports car and not expecting to be complimented!
phamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 02:24 PM   #136
snyde
"TRF" Member

100% that an AD sales associate can spot a Rolex from across a room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 04:49 PM   #137
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy9999 View Post
Excellent!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 10:42 PM   #138
Toproll85
"TRF" Member

I must say that people have noticed my Rolex since I bought the new two-tone Sub !
For all steel Rolly's, I have never had so many stares, head turns or sidelong eyes on my wrist, for years...
The Bluesy is not discreet.

Grönefeld 1941 RCF ¦ H. Moser Heritage Dual Time ¦ JLC Q1308470 ¦ L&S 1815 Up/Down ¦ L&S Zeitwerk Date ¦ UN Freak X carbonium
Toproll85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 10:47 PM   #139
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
A brief shopping trip today, popped into my AD, no customers so able to walk in, when I came out there was a guy looking in a rather empty window wearing a Milgauss, then as we wandered we saw him again, watch proudly displayed on his wrist, sleeves pulled back so the watch could be seen.

I doubt that anyone other than me noticed that it was a Rolex.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2020, 11:08 PM   #140
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

In my part of the UK we look, we smile, we may occasionally give a nod of approval but knowing that we know that other watch lovers know is enough. It's a bit uncouth to actually talk about it. The only place where reserve and modesty gets thrown to the wind is inside my AD, where the watch talk never stops and peoples' watches, including mine, sometimes get taken off and handed around for others to examine and admire. Although not this year.

One advantage of wearing a Rolex is that most people who are inclined to look will assume its a fake. You get under the radar in plain sight.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 12:25 AM   #141
flytier
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
A brief shopping trip today, popped into my AD, no customers so able to walk in, when I came out there was a guy looking in a rather empty window wearing a Milgauss, then as we wandered we saw him again, watch proudly displayed on his wrist, sleeves pulled back so the watch could be seen.

I doubt that anyone other than me noticed that it was a Rolex.
How do you know he had his sleeves pulled back just so the watch could be
seen? Maybe having the watch seen was not his intent at all.
flytier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 12:33 AM   #142
Faze101
"TRF" Member

As a watch person I’m automatically drawn to people’s wrists. I notice a nice watch almost daily. Quite a few Rolexes each week even in my small town. It’s always passing so no chance to say anything. Even then as much as I wanted to say something it’s neither the place nor the time. I’ve owned various Rolex’s for many years and i can count on one hand the amount of comments I’ve received. So yes people do notice but don’t say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Faze101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2020, 01:11 AM   #143
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by swink6112 View Post
Yesterday my boss said to me "nice watch". I was wearing my beater G-Shock. He was wearing his 5711/1A-011. What an a**!
G-Shock IS a nice watch.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:07 PM   #144
MBNY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
They do, and not in the good way. I brought my dog to a local vet, and they ordered a ton of vaccines. Anyone with any sense would know that they were ordering way too many. They didn't see me, or my dog. They saw my watch and they saw a cash machine. I took my dog to another vet in town and what a shock, he didn't need 2/3rds of the vaccines that the first one wanted to give him! Shocking right?

I love nice watches, I make sure to wear long sleeve shirts more often.
THIS! i have long said this to many of my friends and they didnt agree. I do not wear the watchs much either. you automatically refuse the right to bargain basically and will be charged through the roof. it makes people very mad to see you have one. i did not expect that.
MBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 02:15 PM   #145
MBNY
"TRF" Member

also will say almost everyone does notice. i wore mine to the barbershop with hoody sleeve half covering. barber told me everyone was talking about my watch as soon as i left. i was shocked.
MBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:27 PM   #146
andrewjb88
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16302 Rolex OP
On holiday in Montenegro last year I wanted to visit the Rolex store in the yacht marina, I'm heavily tattooed and was in shorts/tshirt so didn't look like their "average" customer.

The store is in the "VIP" marina.

Security guard was about to tell me to do one, when the sales guy interrupted him by saying "is that a Tudor GMT"

few minutes later sat down with a cup of tea trying things on haha.
Luch one hand
andrewjb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:29 PM   #147
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agreed. I think people are inherently uncomfortable talking and or commenting to strangers, especially compliments. Different for a WIS and a hobby we are genuinely passionate about while enjoying a WIS conversation.

Think how many times you have noticed someone else's watch and never said anything and that is coming from someone who genuinely appreciates watches.

Here in LA, i've gotten a fair share of compliments from strangers. The most by far was with my old RM but still plenty for my old RG AP and even batman/daytona. Definitely also dependent on case material, always more compliments with my RG pieces which would make sense as they grab your eye more. Oddly enough, never a compliment on my Patek 5980
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:31 PM   #148
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

The fact of the matter is... some people will notice, some won't.. only few will actually say something.

As a watch enthusiast, I find myself scoping out peoples wrists all the time out of curiosity (this is true in person, and even while watching tv or on the internet). I'm sure many folks here can relate :P
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:32 PM   #149
David001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post

One advantage of wearing a Rolex is that most people who are inclined to look will assume its a fake. You get under the radar in plain sight.
I think that used to be the case, I'm in my late 40's but when I was in my 20's if I was wearing a nice watch I'd occasionally get people asking if it was fake - I think mainly because they weren't terribly fashionable for youngsters and were usually worn by the older generation, people under 35yrs old either couldn't afford them or didn't think them fashionable at the time - unless they were merchant seamen or expats and then buying a Submariner was almost compulsory.

But in the last few years they've become very fashionable and the thing to have, so it's not that unusual to see a fashionable 20-something person wearing a luxury SS watch.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:36 PM   #150
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
In my part of the UK we look, we smile, we may occasionally give a nod of approval but knowing that we know that other watch lovers know is enough. It's a bit uncouth to actually talk about it. The only place where reserve and modesty gets thrown to the wind is inside my AD, where the watch talk never stops and peoples' watches, including mine, sometimes get taken off and handed around for others to examine and admire. Although not this year.

I notice nice watches all the time but I would never dream of commenting unless I knew the person or was already in some kind of conversation with them.
For every person that comments there will be another 50-100 that dont
I often get people say to me "Is that real?"
I just smile and reply " I hope so"
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote