The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 10 November 2020, 01:05 AM   #1
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Why so many "HIP & KNEE" Replacements..?

Why do so so many americans having knees and hips replaced so frequently..? Surely it has to do with overweight and lethargic people I assume or can it be due to something else... I am referring to here in the good ole of USA....!
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:10 AM   #2
nolan386
"TRF" Member

Called being the fattest country in the world...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nolan386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:24 AM   #3
BreguetRolex
Banned

FYI everyone, I am not one of the ones with replacement of neither ... Still operate with all the correct factory parts and pieces...I have so so many of my classmates from 1972 constantly getting the knees and hips but mainly knees..
Old 10 November 2020, 01:30 AM   #4
ZOOK
2024 Pledge Member

The new profit center in the medical industrial complex. Not everyone can shuff a flashlight up your butt and retire at 40.
ZOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:35 AM   #5
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think it's actually the epidemic of people not taking responsibility for themselves.

It's basically going to a doctor and saying fix me, and the fact that the medical community is in bed with Pharma/Device Mfg and they all say OK, just do as we say.

And people go, my doctor said I should do this or that.....and the dollars roll in.

The entire medical model is to address the symptom and not the cause. And companies are making billions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (6.7 KB, 408 views)
Old 10 November 2020, 01:44 AM   #6
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

I think you try and be motivating with your posts but find them to be mostly self aggrandizing.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 01:47 AM   #7
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

You tell us.....
Is this BR?
Old 10 November 2020, 01:51 AM   #8
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Looking like I will probably need to do this at some point in my future but I have arthritis. My father had to do this as well so I'm pretty sure this has more to do with genetics in my case more than anything else. I'm pretty sure I can't just diet or exercise my way out of this no matter what anyone says.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 02:00 AM   #9
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Is this BR?
Yep, before his weight loss.
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 02:01 AM   #10
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knappo 1307 View Post
Yep, before his weight loss.
Oh boy! Guess he can start answering his own question.
Old 10 November 2020, 02:05 AM   #11
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
It may have something to do with the actual procedure. It is much easier to do now and the results are also much better. I think the US has perfected the procedure probably why you see so many MB in Germany. Things are not always as they appear.
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 02:08 AM   #12
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

The average price for an inpatient knee replacement is $30,249, compared to $19,002 in an outpatient setting. – The average price for an inpatient hip replacement is $30,685, compared to $22,078 in an outpatient setting.

The most common total joint replacement procedures in the U.S. are total knee replacements (approximately 700,000 a year) and total hip replacements (approximately 400,000 a year).

We promised no math but.....let see, carry the 2......subtract the 9........ummmmmm

A pretty big industry. (these numbers taken from the internet, so they must be right)
Old 10 November 2020, 02:11 AM   #13
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Oh boy! Guess he can start answering his own question.

Yah think so ehhh...? I highly doubt it ever but anything can happen I guess..

017F2799-8504-4B7D-8ACB-DF6496BFD1D8.jpeg

1EE5A48F-5EC0-4CDD-A63D-6D3A7569E5D7.jpeg
Old 10 November 2020, 02:13 AM   #14
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
The average price for an inpatient knee replacement is $30,249, compared to $19,002 in an outpatient setting. – The average price for an inpatient hip replacement is $30,685, compared to $22,078 in an outpatient setting.

The most common total joint replacement procedures in the U.S. are total knee replacements (approximately 700,000 a year) and total hip replacements (approximately 400,000 a year).

We promised no math but.....let see, carry the 2......subtract the 9........ummmmmm

A pretty big industry. (these numbers taken from the internet, so they must be right)

BIG and Quick Money for the medical industry... Cant blame it all on them as we are destroying our own bodies at a much quicker pace now a days due to the "GARBAGE" we stuff in our face...:)
Old 10 November 2020, 02:19 AM   #15
330ci
"TRF" Member

While weight probably has a lot to do with it, most the people I know with replacements were in their 70s+ when they got them. So I’d say another contributing factor is people are just living longer and wearing out parts that normally wouldn’t have time to fail.
Surgeries are also getting safer, less recovery times, more willing participants I’d imagine.
Then costs have also come down considerably since they’re more routine, making it a viable option for more people.
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 03:07 AM   #16
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

My dear Mother in Law, has had both hip joints replaced recently.
She just turned 90.

She's a little whippet of a girl, and as sharp as a tack!
She's proud to tell us repeatedly, that she never played sport or did any unnecessary exercise throughout her life. (so far)
Speedbird-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 03:38 AM   #17
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’m not an epidemiologist but a simple causation is difficult to apply to this scenario.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 03:44 AM   #18
austinp
"TRF" Member

Good insurance. I think in the old days people would just deal with a bum knee or hip. Now it’s just too easy to get it fixed. My business partner is in very good shape and needed a hip replacement in his 40s.

austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 04:40 AM   #19
NAVY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
I think you try and be motivating with your posts but find them to be mostly self aggrandizing.
More like being a show off How many times do we need to hear him tooting his own horn? Tiring.
NAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 04:43 AM   #20
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
Quote:
I think it's actually the epidemic of people not taking responsibility for themselves.

It's basically going to a doctor and saying fix me, and the fact that the medical community is in bed with Pharma/Device Mfg and they all say OK, just do as we say.

And people go, my doctor said I should do this or that.....and the dollars roll in.

The entire medical model is to address the symptom and not the cause. And companies are making billions.
This.

I'm American, 45, and at one point I was overweight. I had back issues, knee problems, ankle problems, high blood pressure.

I took responsibility, started exercising and eating right, lost the weight and am in the best shape of my entire life.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 04:54 AM   #21
RJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
My mom had a hip replaced back in the mid Eighties...she was 36 y/o at the time. Since then shes had the other hip and a knee replaced.

Some people are just falling apart. Genetics? Diet ?

Cannot say.

I'm almost 50 and still running on all OEM parts.
RJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 06:16 AM   #22
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I think it was on Netflix - but there was a fascinating program on about poisoning from artificial joints caused by cobalt in them. Interesting watch

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 07:15 AM   #23
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
I think it was on Netflix - but there was a fascinating program on about poisoning from artificial joints caused by cobalt in them. Interesting watch

Seen that on House as well, Cutty’s mum!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 07:28 AM   #24
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Does not always correlate with Obesity and lack of exercise. Sometimes quite the opposite...as in athletes wear out their parts.

I work out most days and have been active my whole life. Played 3 sports through HS and baseball in college. Arthritis is bad in my hands and knees. At some point will probably need new knees. I am too young 54 at this point as I may outlive the replacements. Arthritis sucks, in pain 24/7 but keep fighting the good fight. My Doc tells me if I stop lifting I may not be able to start again....
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 07:45 AM   #25
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post
Does not always correlate with Obesity and lack of exercise. Sometimes quite the opposite...as in athletes wear out their parts.

I work out most days and have been active my whole life. Played 3 sports through HS and baseball in college. Arthritis is bad in my hands and knees. At some point will probably need new knees. I am too young 54 at this point as I may outlive the replacements. Arthritis sucks, in pain 24/7 but keep fighting the good fight. My Doc tells me if I stop lifting I may not be able to start again....
I think this is true as well however over-exercise can be as damaging as under- exercise and both are actual choices people make in their health.

Professional athletes in actuality are not necessarily in great shape although they may look like it. They stress their bodies, causing inflammation and injury and are obviously perfect candidates for contact injury.

That's the trade off. Money/fame short term for long term pain and disability.

But I agree some people are actually more prone to things like arthritis. Genetics. My wife had a new knee done a few years ago.

The dirty little secret with new joints is that lots of them are not overly successful and pain free afterwards, even if people do the rehab and exercises.
Old 10 November 2020, 08:02 AM   #26
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
I think this is true as well however over-exercise can be as damaging as under- exercise and both are actual choices people make in their health.

Professional athletes in actuality are not necessarily in great shape although they may look like it. They stress their bodies, causing inflammation and injury and are obviously perfect candidates for contact injury.

But I agree some people are actually more prone to things like arthritis. Genetics. My wife had a new knee done a few years ago.

The dirty little secret with new joints is that lots of them are not overly successful and pain free afterwards, even if people do the rehab and exercises.
For sure. My Dad and Grandfather both played pro ball. Took its toll on both. Dad had friends from the NFL that died young and tons of issues/pain as young men when they were still alive. We generally do not hear those stories.

I am against surgery unless absolutely necessary. They have been trying to get me to do back surgery for 25+ years. I manage it with core specific exercises, hot tub, and yoga. Still have flare ups but for the most part I manage it pretty well and still golf and work out...
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 08:05 AM   #27
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVY View Post
More like being a show off How many times do we need to hear him tooting his own horn? Tiring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
Agreed
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2020, 08:12 AM   #28
BreguetRolex
Banned

Still for the most part rather you are a super jock and no exercise, usually the issues are brought on by the perpetrator ...! If you squat 1000LBs and bench 1500LBS or a couch potato its all the same...... I am sure that if I had continued to have been a super porker like I was there would be no reason that I would not have everything replaced....! :)
Old 10 November 2020, 08:14 AM   #29
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Why do so so many americans having knees and hips replaced so frequently..? Surely it has to do with overweight and lethargic people I assume or can it be due to something else... I am referring to here in the good ole of USA....!
Sort of seems like you have a pre-formed opinion here, but I'll weigh in.

I can't speak for those so fortunate as to have found low impact sports late in life, but I have my personal experience and opinion.

My generation has been the "extreme sport" generation and we're reaching our 50's. How many times have you slammed hard on pavement on your skateboard? How many times have you landed beyond the transition in a terrain park? Ever gone too big on a dirt bike and wrecked your knee? How many years did you play catcher?

Increases in replacement knees and hips in America is a combination of surgery advances, artificial joint lifespan, and the aging of the first generation of "jackasses." And based on the intensity/amplitude/standards increases across nearly all sports (extreme and otherwise), you "ain't" seen nothing yet."

I'm glad that there is an entire industry dedicated to making this surgery so viable and affordable. The quality of of life improvement has been amazing! I'd hate to have it out of my reach because it was arbitrarily deemed as too expensive to consider as a mainstream medical option! As with so many medical treatments over the years, I would guess that this American "trend" will spread around the world as its price continues to drop. Hell, a robot did at least half the work on mine.
Old 10 November 2020, 08:17 AM   #30
Cloudchaser
"TRF" Member

Watch: Watching
Quote:

So true on "over-exercise!" Guilty as charged! No regrets, though. It was so fun. And now I can golf or whatever, knowing I spent my bullets in my prime.