The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 24 November 2020, 05:03 PM   #1
scipio27
"TRF" Member

Rolex 14060m vs Tudor BB58 (nato strapped)

Hi guys

Posted not long ago about the best sub on a nato for a skinny wrist of 6.25in and was recommended the above. I’m very close to pulling the trigger on this.

The only other option I found was a BB58 which is slightly narrower at 39mm. I’ve not been able to see it in person to feel the weight and quality or try it on unfortunately. I have another daydate equivalent Tudor which I do like.

The Tudor would come in half the price of the Rolex and new, but a Rolex is a Rolex and given it has no yellow accents as the BB does, I’m inclined to still go for it.

Any opinions on which I should pick?
scipio27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:12 PM   #2
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

The real question is, do you want a Rolex? The Tudor can never substitute a Rolex if that's what you want.

I have the same wrist-size as you and the BB58 is the perfect size, it also looks good (and sits good) on the factory fabric strap. Wouldn't wear a NATO personally but to each his own.

Keep in mind that wearing a NATO strap on our wristsize is just going to make everything seem a lot more bulky than necessary.

Just based on your:

Quote:
but a Rolex is a Rolex
It sounds like you really want a Rolex and not a Tudor. Subs are going up in price across the entire range. Not long ago you could snap these up at almost close to new MSRP on Tudors, now they're easily double and that's for a well-worn one.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:33 PM   #3
PizzaAndCheesecake
"TRF" Member

My wrist is slightly slimmer than yours at 6.1 inches and my BB58 (on a bracelet) fits my wrist perfectly
PizzaAndCheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:38 PM   #4
Emery
"TRF" Member

It sounds like even if you were to get the bb58 today, you'd still want the Sub somewhere down the line.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:39 PM   #5
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Bb58 and 14060 will wear very similar (I have both, 6.75 inch wrist). But honestly it sounds like you would be settling by getting the bb58. So go for the sub. It’s not like they are going to get any cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 10:53 PM   #6
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
I foolishly let my 14060m go some time back, recently grabbed the black bay 58 blue. Did I buy it as a consolation, more or less. Its likely I will never be able to get the 14060m back at a price id be happy with. Newer updated watch tho in the blue bay. And yes, I still want a 14060m. My advice, is try on the 58 first. I had wanted the black bay 58 but was never able to try it on until one of the watch dinners. Only gripe so far is its bracelet, too few microadjustments / lack of half link.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 11:17 PM   #7
Gerry62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Panerai
The Tudors are very beautiful, and are always and easily available. Good value for money
But a Rolex Submariner is always a great buy, an Excellence! , a daily watch, yes, but also a collector's item.
I'd choose the 14060

Old 24 November 2020, 11:22 PM   #8
inglewood1026
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonSomething View Post
The real question is, do you want a Rolex? The Tudor can never substitute a Rolex if that's what you want.
I always tell my buddy - save for your grail pieces; stop trying to distract yourself with cheaper pieces you dont really want.

Another thing to consider - the case thickness on the BB is much more significant than the Sub. That - plus the lack of crown guards - are probably why I never picked one up to date.
inglewood1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 11:23 PM   #9
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Both watches are a good match for your wrist. Based upon your post, if financially viable for you, I’d recommend the 14060m. It is pretty close to the quintessential perfect Rolex diver...just plain awesome. This advice is coming from someone who owns and loves his BB58. As has been said many times, if what you want is a Rolex, nothing else will scratch that itch.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 11:24 PM   #10
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Both are great watches. Get both if you can. If you can only choose one, then save up for your grail.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:18 AM   #11
scipio27
"TRF" Member

thanks guys, a lot of think about, seems like I will go with the 14060m though!
scipio27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 12:58 AM   #12
bronxbombers42
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red Sub, GMT
I'd spend more now and go with the 14060. It'll be a lot cheaper in the long run to take the hit and buy a 14060 now than it is to buy a BB58, decide it doesn't scratch that "Sub" itch, and then buy a 14060 down the road when their values may appreciate further (and you may have to take a loss on selling the BB58). Best of luck!
bronxbombers42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 02:19 AM   #13
Swiss_Time_Watches
2024 Pledge Member

The 14060m every time. For your information the 14060m is also a 39mm watch, contrary to popular opinion it is not 40mm.
Swiss_Time_Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 02:50 AM   #14
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I went through the exact same thing 2 years ago. I got the sub and never regretted it. I had wanted a sub for a loooonnnng time and the advice I received on this forum is the same you are mostly hearing now. If you want a Rolex sub, get the sub.

Since it was my first Rolex I wanted a nearly perfect copy, Box and papers/yada, and paid some extra for that. Those have gotten pretty pricey... If I was to do it again I would buy a worn watch with no B&P and just price in a full service, bracelet restoration, whatever it needs.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 05:04 AM   #15
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

Buy the watch you want.

I would and have chosen the Tudor. Rolex makes amazing watches but, in my social circle, I see Rolex watches non stop. Everyone I know has a submariner of some type. I have owned them as well in the past. Great watches.

Right now I am rocking the BB58 and am happy. However if you want the Rolex, then wait and get the Rolex.
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 05:21 AM   #16
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
If you want a Rolex, get the Rolex. Only get the watch that you want or you will never be satisfied
kieselguhr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:37 AM   #17
RayRay89
"TRF" Member

I have 6.5” wrist. I have a 14060 and have to wear it loose (even with all links taken out) due to the micro adjustment really throwing off the location of the clasp. Great watch but the main reason it doesn’t get much wrist time. I have a 114060 and LOVE it. Fits perfectly and well balanced. I tried on the BB58 and it’s a great watch. If you can go with a 114060 if not the BB58.
RayRay89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:57 AM   #18
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Sub. No question. Anyone that believes the BB58 is the better watch has serious mental problems.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:03 AM   #19
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
I am gonna be like the Tudor gang who storm in suggesting BB58 when someone asks SMP300 versus Submariner :)

OP - SMP 300 Diver is what you should get...

</being a hole>

If you like Tudor better get it. However once you have the Rolex itch, it cannot be cured with anything else. You will get the sub eventually. There is just nothing like it.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:11 AM   #20
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Sub. No question. Anyone that believes the BB58 is the better watch has serious mental problems.

I think 58 is better in every way with one exception, name. The build quality, movement (though not proven like 3130) it has better reserve, is very accurate, the size is perfect, etc.

Looks are subjective and I like them both.

I think my 116610 is leagues ahead of both 14060 (or 16610) and 58 on paper but I have more of an emotional attachment to my 58. It is more interesting in every way. Perfect, no. Though I have yet to find a perfect watch.

Some just think Rolex is better. That is fine. However, others disagree. I guess I have mental problems.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:29 AM   #21
Max 66
Banned

I like very much the 14060, but I consider the current street price ridiculous; therefore I would say that the BB58 is a more rational choice.
Max 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:32 AM   #22
holdingon
"TRF" Member

14060 can buy you a BB 58 + speedy....so unless you have a large collection strongly recommend the BB 58+Speedy.
holdingon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:45 AM   #23
pulseyou
"TRF" Member

I may go against the grain but I would say go for the BB58.

For the price/value, it is an unbelievable watch.

I also believe wearing it on a NATO is a gorgeous homage to the US Navy/French Marine nationale who very famously purchased Tudor Submariners in bulk and put them on NATO's for their units.

I have a 6.5 inch wrist and I believe the BB 58 fits wonderfully. I am a full-on Rolex fanboy but this Tudor feels special to me.
pulseyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:53 AM   #24
LFFL
"TRF" Member

I'd say you go for the Rolex-- if you do, you won't be thinking about what if I got the BB58.
LFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:22 PM   #25
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
I think 58 is better in every way with one exception, name. The build quality, movement (though not proven like 3130) it has better reserve, is very accurate, the size is perfect, etc.

Looks are subjective and I like them both.

I think my 116610 is leagues ahead of both 14060 (or 16610) and 58 on paper but I have more of an emotional attachment to my 58. It is more interesting in every way. Perfect, no. Though I have yet to find a perfect watch.

Some just think Rolex is better. That is fine. However, others disagree. I guess I have mental problems.
Not many. Tudor better than the equivalent Rolex 5 digit Sub? Or any Sub. Or equivalent Rolex anything. Price justification for aluminium and stamped clasp to a SubC owner obviously plays a large part. That's all I can think of.
Old 26 November 2020, 11:41 PM   #26
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
Not many. Tudor better than the equivalent Rolex 5 digit Sub? Or any Sub. Or equivalent Rolex anything. Price justification for aluminium and stamped clasp to a SubC owner obviously plays a large part. That's all I can think of.

Not 100% sure I follow, but I am saying the 58 is better than a 5 dig sub on paper (and 6dig sub is better than both on paper). I do acknowledge that doesn’t mean much as a 116500 is better than Paul Newman’s Paul Newman in every way on paper as well lol.

Regardless, many would prefer a tangibly better watch for less $ than a perceived better watch (history, collectibility, etc) where as others would not and prefer Rolex irrespective of value for the $.

To the members post I responded to, I don’t think it takes “mental problems” to appreciate a 58 &gt; a 5dig sub. Or, maybe I am just mental!
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 11:48 PM   #27
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

It's worth noting that the BB58 sits much flatter on the wrist due to the slimmer caseback. If you want to put a NATO on a Sub it's going to be "flying" on your wrist.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 11:59 PM   #28
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselguhr View Post
If you want a Rolex, get the Rolex. Only get the watch that you want or you will never be satisfied

Amen. Substitute watches lead to more watches. I’m guilty of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 12:35 AM   #29
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brny11 View Post
Not 100% sure I follow, but I am saying the 58 is better than a 5 dig sub on paper (and 6dig sub is better than both on paper). I do acknowledge that doesn’t mean much as a 116500 is better than Paul Newman’s Paul Newman in every way on paper as well lol.

Regardless, many would prefer a tangibly better watch for less $ than a perceived better watch (history, collectibility, etc) where as others would not and prefer Rolex irrespective of value for the $.

To the members post I responded to, I don’t think it takes “mental problems” to appreciate a 58 &gt; a 5dig sub. Or, maybe I am just mental!
After owning a modern Sub the 58 offers a lot for much less than a 5 digit so the current price is hard to justify is what I was getting at. I agree actually. The BB58 is excellent bang per buck. Even as a non-SubC owner. No way is it better though. Longer reserve doesn't make a better movement. Gold plated indices. Faux homage rivets etc. Steve Mcqueen didn't wear a Tudor.
Old 27 November 2020, 12:37 AM   #30
Glock2710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 14060M
Go with what you really want. If you settle now it will nag at you and most likely cost more in the future. I searched for my 14060M years ago trying to get a specific year and have never looked back. It’s not going anywhere and is worn daily doing everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glock2710 is offline   Reply With Quote