The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 November 2020, 06:28 AM   #61
Letsgodiving
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD 16600
Although it can't be discussed here I think anyone who wants to fully understand the emotions regarding the "hand of god" goal and subsequent win over the English needs to also look at the international context of these two nations at that time and I'll just leave it that.
Old 28 November 2020, 07:51 AM   #62
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
If anyone is interested, there is a BBC interview on YouTube where he admits to hitting it with his hand. I can’t copy the link for some reason but search and you will find
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 09:54 AM   #63
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Netflix had a documentary on him 6-12 months back. I quite enjoyed it having not known his story.

What a character
Old 29 November 2020, 03:56 AM   #64
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
One thing no one has mentioned, (OK, I mentioned it) to me is the saddest part of the story. Here is a former world-class athlete, dies from a heart ailment at 60 years old. I can only surmise it is due to the Cocaine addiction he battled for years. It’s just a guess, but he should have lived another 20 years at least and I believe without the drug addiction probably would have. It is a shame such a talented and successful man succumbed to a terrible addiction.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 05:37 AM   #65
Nickn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
Asking this as one of the world's least knowledgeable people regarding soccer, so bear with me. Got interested reading through this thread, so I watched the video of the infamous goal and my question is this: Why the outrage at Maradona? He couldn't have reached the ball otherwise so he used his hand. Now, I get that it's against the rules and that the goal should have been disallowed. But the player was just doing what he could, wasn't he? Shouldn't the outrage be directed at the officials who missed the call? In basketball, if a guy scores a basket when he travels, he's not called a 'cheater'. If a reciever is awarded a touchdown when he only got one foot in bounds, he's not called a 'cheater'. Why would Maradona be considered a 'cheater' in this instance? One of the reasons games have officials is to make determinations on whether points are legal or not. Seems to me you can't blame the player for trying.
“Can’t blame the player for trying “
With his fist???
It’s not called football for nothing!
And as for being respectful once a person is dead should we forget the awful way they lived there personal lives?
Amazing footballer but not so amazing person drugs drink affairs
Nickn is offline   Reply With Quote