The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 November 2020, 01:42 AM   #31
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
FWIW cigarette smoking was glamorized and in vogue in the 1950's and 1960's. It was in most movies, TV shows and everywhere else back then. Times have certainly changed, big time.
When I was growing up in SE Michigan, the guy who lived across the street from us smoked PAL MAL None Filters and would have one continuously in his mouth as he would light one from the other after he could not hold it any longer.. Even when I was a kid late 60's it just grossed me out to the max but what a hell of a addiction it must have been....
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:01 AM   #32
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
FWIW cigarette smoking was glamorized and in vogue in the 1950's and 1960's. It was in most movies, TV shows and everywhere else back then. Times have certainly changed, big time.
Yep. Spot on.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:07 AM   #33
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
When I was growing up in SE Michigan, the guy who lived across the street from us smoked PAL MAL None Filters and would have one continuously in his mouth as he would light one from the other after he could not hold it any longer.. Even when I was a kid late 60's it just grossed me out to the max but what a hell of a addiction it must have been....
My dad could never stop. It's such a powerful addiction because it was later learned that the cigarette companies manipulated the various drugs in a cigarette to be more addictive.

The other problem was, that it was also socially addictive, lighting up with a friend, sharing a smoke, it created a social activity, with strangers, etc etc.

I smoked a pack a day (25 cigs in Canada) and really only enjoyed the one with coffee in the morning and the ones when drinking in bars at night, when it wasn't uncommon to chain smoke a whole pack sitting with friends.

To stop smoking one of the things that you had to do was change the social aspects at the same time. Get up from the table immediately after meals, go for a walk on your coffee breaks, don't go to bars drinking for a while etc.

The social stuff was the most difficult for me.

An interesting anecdote, I read, after smoking became frowned upon, and smokers were pariahs, and had to go outside to the back of the building to have a smoke, that top execs that smoked at a company would then mingle with the great unwashed from lesser departments and they found that the smoking friendships that developed, the underlings would advance through the company ranks faster because they were now known acquaintances of the top dogs. The bond was established by sharing a smoke out back during coffee breaks.
Old 27 November 2020, 02:09 AM   #34
AzPaul
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex 1501
Quote:
I still see characters in movies lighting up more than I'd expect and it annoys me. I understand it's an element of the character, but any competent actor/writer/director should have no trouble developing memorable characters without smokes. Wish Hollywood would retire the practice for good. Whether they want to accept the blame or not, what's seen on the screen has a big influence on those watching. In particular, the young.
Old 27 November 2020, 02:17 AM   #35
austinp
"TRF" Member

It’s so rare when I smell cigarette smoke from a smoker that it catches my attention. It seems a lot less people are doing it. I agree with Patton that it’s easy to quit once you are truly ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:17 AM   #36
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzPaul View Post
I still see characters in movies lighting up more than I'd expect and it annoys me. I understand it's an element of the character, but any competent actor/writer/director should have no trouble developing memorable characters without smokes. Wish Hollywood would retire the practice for good. Whether they want to accept the blame or not, what's seen on the screen has a big influence on those watching. In particular, the young.
That was one of the biggest hurdles in the stop smoking crusade was to get Hollywood to stop glamoring the act of smoking.

The other was to get them to stop advertising to teens with campaigns like Joe Camel, Virginia Slims and others. And for stores to stop selling to kids.
Old 27 November 2020, 02:31 AM   #37
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci View Post
how is that hypocritical?
it's how society gets better.
4 of the 6 people in my small family of friends smoked, now 1/6 of us smokes. and we all give him shit about it. everyone who quit prior to me gave me a hard time when I smoked, eventually I was able to quit myself, but likely never would've had those around me not been kind of jerks about it.

there's nothing wrong with calling out poor behaviors once you've corrected it. it takes like a month to get over nicotine, it's really not that bad with even the slightest bit of self control. and once you've done it, it's quite aggravating realizing others are constantly killing themselves instead of taking a bit of initiative for their health.
Yeah...... ok

Remarkably scary words.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:40 AM   #38
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Ibtl
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:43 AM   #39
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Ibtl
Why? Did someone hurt your feelings?

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 November 2020, 02:53 AM   #40
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
In 1962, when I was about 16 my Dad caught me down on the street corner smoking as he drove by and decided he may as well let me smoke in he house. Funny thing was he smoked filtered Winston's and I smoked Camel's and Pall Mall's unfiltered. I quit smoking on February 19, 1982 when I was 35. My Dad continued to smoke until he developed a heart condition forcing him to quit. Fortunately I was a racquetball player for about 30 more years so my lungs and heart recovered from whatever damage my years of smoking may have caused.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:58 AM   #41
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2late View Post
In 1962, when I was about 16 my Dad caught me down on the street corner smoking as he drove by and decided he may as well let me smoke in he house. Funny thing was he smoked filtered Winston's and I smoked Camel's and Pall Mall's unfiltered. I quit smoking on February 19, 1982 when I was 35. My Dad continued to smoke until he developed a heart condition forcing him to quit. Fortunately I was a racquetball player for about 30 more years so my lungs and heart recovered from whatever damage my years of smoking may have caused.
Almost everybody on my mother’s side including her parents died from smoking in their late 60s or early 70s. It’s definitely going to kill most people if they don’t quit by the time they’re 40. Lung problems is definitely a hard way to go. My mother has COPD and she quit smoking at the age of 55. She’s 74 now.

Instagram - patton250
Old 27 November 2020, 03:03 AM   #42
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I’m surprised I didn’t end up a smoker.

Most of my friends smoked and some still do. Whenever I tried it, it made me sick and ooosie feeling. I remember having to go to the nurses office in high school because I had a cigarette that didn’t agree with me.

Bonus: I missed my French exam and they gave me my term Mark ... I would’ve failed miserably
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:11 AM   #43
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinp View Post
It’s so rare when I smell cigarette smoke from a smoker that it catches my attention. It seems a lot less people are doing it. I agree with Patton that it’s easy to quit once you are truly ready.

These figures are off the top of my head so probably aren’t exact, but I’m the early 60s, the average of Americans that smoked was over 50%, today it is somewhere around 15%. I truly hope it continues to decline until someday is 0%.

Yes, it was part of the culture decades ago, highly glamorized. We lost so many to smoking, John Wayne, Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen etc. Steve was 50 years old, I think William Hopper was 55. Jackie Gleason smoked up to six packs a day, even after bypass surgery. It boggles the mind how such a poison can be accepted and glamorous in our society for so long and kill so many.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:11 AM   #44
never2late
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
My Dad had five brothers, he and all of them
smoked and all had heart attacks in their mid 50s.
Tudor Black Bay Bronze, Tudor Pelagos, (Blue).
never2late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:21 AM   #45
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
When I was between 12 to 15, both a grandfather and an uncle met a slow and painful end from being life-long smokers.
Both were in their early 70's; they made it a long time through life.
G'pa had smoked cigarettes; uncle was big into cigars.
They both developed lung cancer and emphysema, and both ended up in oxygen tents their last few months.
As a teenager, watching my uncle die slowly was a real eye opener.
I never saw my G'pa at that time as he lived far away and dad alone dealt with a few long trips.
From experiencing all that, I never desired to smoke, and fortunately neither had my parents or brother been smokers. Dad "broke the cycle" so to speak.
Oftentimes you reap what you sow.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:33 AM   #46
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
I wonder what they’ll look back on in 50 years and wonder why we did that. Probably some chronic mental disorder from looking at social media.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 03:51 AM   #47
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

My great grandfather smoked Camels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 04:06 AM   #48
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowaco View Post
I wonder what they’ll look back on in 50 years and wonder why we did that. Probably some chronic mental disorder from looking at social media.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There will be a social media thread started about the mental disorders caused by reading and posting on TRF
Old 27 November 2020, 04:20 AM   #49
TheVTCGuy
Banned

This is good news. It actually states right now is about 13%
Attached Images
File Type: png 73D6BD15-13D7-4DD1-9970-D64AD293624A.png (154.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 27 November 2020, 07:06 AM   #50
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I smoked from age 16 to 47. Ended up doing approximately 2 1/2 packs a day. I was told by my doctor, in 1987, to quit or forget about a retirement. I quit in one night and have never looked back. I retired nineteen years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 07:11 AM   #51
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I started smoking at 13 and quit at 18. Glad I did. My mother was a smoker and bought them by the case. Had a lady I worked with have to have both eyes removed because of cancer behind them. She was a chronic smoker. She died a bit after the second eye was removed. Stay away from tobacco and nicotine!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 08:16 AM   #52
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It should be banned in much the same way as cigarette/ tobacco advertising in many countries.

I could never believe it was permitted to advertise cigarettes in Germany.

Way more smoking there than the UK, no doubt partly as a result.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 08:18 AM   #53
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The tobacco companies sponsored the movies and tv, BIG time.
Governments made big bucks in taxes.
Then the bills from cancer wards started rolling in and the taxes no longer covered the cost to health services.
We then are told, smoking's bad for you.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 09:09 AM   #54
White Collar Boy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PAM111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
My dad could never stop... The bond was established by sharing a smoke out back during coffee breaks.
Great post Blansky.
White Collar Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 09:56 AM   #55
erhein
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
In January, 1966, my dad developed pain in his upper back and shoulder. It persisted and he finally went to the doctor. The doctor said he thought it was pleurisy, an infection/inflammation of the lining of the lungs, and ordered a chest X-ray to confirm. It turned out to be lung cancer and he died in June at the age of 46. Left six kids, a housewife and $5,000 in life insurance. I was a junior in high school. I went to work at a laundry/dry cleaners from 4:00pm until midnight, unloading the route trucks and counting and sorting the pieces and went to school during the day. He had smoked for 25 years, but had quit two or three years before he got sick. I was a smoker at the time and for the next 10 years smoked a pack a day. In 1976, I developed chest and upper back pain that wouldn't go away. I went to the doctor who said he thought it was pleurisy, but ordered a chest X-ray to confirm. Turned out to be pleurisy but the scare was such that I not only never smoked another cigarette, but I never [I]wanted[I] to smoke another cigarette. Even though my wife continued to smoke for another five years, I was never even tempted. I'm 72 now and there is no doubt in my mind that if I had continued to smoke, I'd have departed the planet a long time ago. Some people continue to smoke even after a bad diagnosis. I'm grateful every day that I was scared out of the habit. Good luck to everyone who smokes but is trying to quit.
Old 27 November 2020, 10:55 AM   #56
Beo3

Watch: Too Many
One of the things that made me want to quit the most is when a Doctor said to me that dying from smoking related emphzema is like drowning in oxygen.

That statement truly terrified me.
Beo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 11:25 AM   #57
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Wow, so many touching stories posted in this thread.

Quote:
Ironically the last cigarette I smoked was on the drive to meet my future wife on our first meeting at a restaurant. Never picked one up after that. BTW, she is a non-smoker and doesn't like alcohol.
I'm glad to hear that! It's a lot easier to achieve the difficult thing you did with those surroundings.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 01:11 PM   #58
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
I love the taste and process of smoking a fine cigar, but it’s been a while now since my last. Watching people around you die from a bad habit will do that to you even if you aren’t inhaling.... I’ve always said though if I make it til my 80’s unscathed I’ll indulge cuz by that point you might as well go all out...

airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 01:37 PM   #59
ROLEX MAN

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
Started smoking at 16, pack a day, Camel, Marlboro, stopped at age 29!

I regret every "Fag" I have ever smoked!

Now if I smell Cigarette smoke I hold by breath because it stinks like burning socks!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 01:44 PM   #60
Paul7
Banned

You could buy a Rolex or two for what many spend on cigarettes over a few years.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote