The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 November 2020, 07:29 AM   #1
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Watch: 226570
New 2020 DJ 3235 magnetized

I had my watch regulated a couple weeks ago. It was running -4, the repairman stated he increased the timing by 3 seconds and to wear it a couple of weeks and see how it does. It was running a vary consistent -2 each day of the two week trial. That includes being VERY active for 5 day straight and very inactive for two days straight. X 2 weeks. Each day still measured -2. Like I said, very consistent. (Also worn 24/7). I went back today and was told it's magnetized.
Has anyone experienced this behavior on the 3235 yet?
DJ2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 08:23 AM   #2
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
My understanding is that the 3235 is insensitive to magnetism. Here’s what I read in an article from millenarywatches.com.

“Almost half of the calibre 3235’s increased power reserve can be ascribed to the new Chronergy escapement itself. This escapement has been made of nickel-phosphorus, which also makes it insensitive to magnetic interference. To reduce its weight, the escape wheel is skeletonized, using a cutout design”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 08:27 AM   #3
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I think its pretty hard to magnetize a modern Rolex movement in most day-to-day use scenarios. You'd practically have to place the watch in direct contact with a strong magnet. Perhaps your watch brushed up against the magnetic clasp of some sort of case or electronic device?

Anyway, you can buy a compass and use that to test the watch yourself to see if it's magnetized. I got this one from Amazon and it works like a charm. It'll react if you bring a magnetized object close to it. I also bought one of those cheap-o blue demagnetizers, and they work.
TimeAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 09:34 AM   #4
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

I do use a compass to check my watches. I used to carry pocket watches and they would get hit all the time.(I work around magnets all the time) but they would be running crazy fast or stop all together. My date just was running fine, still is. Funny thing is I did check my Rolex a couple days ago and only a slight variation on the compass needle. So I checked it after I got it home from the AD. Same slight variation. I think the movement is fine. Escapement anyway, but I wonder if its possible for the case, bezel or band can be slightly magnetized. Not sure if 904L can be. Does anyone know?
Old 29 November 2020, 02:28 PM   #5
shipitfresh
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41
My DJ 3235 bought in January 2020 needed to be regulated. One of the bigger local AD's has their own ASC that did the job. Now my watch is approx +1 sec every 2-3 days. Very happy.
shipitfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 03:57 PM   #6
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Well,my question remains ...

3235 lubrication issues and second hand pinion wear are well noted .Leading to slow running and then much slower running .
I had a 3235 sent to Rolex this year ,runs fine now .

Has Rolex addressed the issue on the 3235s in the 2020 release 126610LN and LV ??
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:42 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

OP, even though most parts in the escapement are made of materials that are either non magnetic or very hard to magnetise, there are still plenty of steel parts in the movement that can get magnetised and have some effect on the timekeeping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
Well,my question remains ...

3235 lubrication issues and second hand pinion wear are well noted .Leading to slow running and then much slower running .
I had a 3235 sent to Rolex this year ,runs fine now .

Has Rolex addressed the issue on the 3235s in the 2020 release 126610LN and LV ??
I've answered your question several times now... And the answer is still the same. There is no permanent fix for the 32×× yet.
The new models are a bit too young to be having this issue yet, but sadly I am sure we will see them coming in for warranty repairs in a year or so.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 05:05 PM   #8
Oldfellow
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Bas, a genuine question.
I have a 32xx under a year old now, keeping excellent time.
Have to say that I am a little apprehensive that it could possibly succumb to the documented problem. I understand that it will be sorted under warranty, and accept this.
However, it seems that this problem has been occurring for some time.
If that is so, I am nervous about purchasing one of the new series Subs, when Rolex has continued to release new models knowing that the problem continues to exist.
Surely this is questionable business practice.
Should I be concerned with the purchase of a new Sub.
Thank you for your viewpoint.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 06:22 PM   #9
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfellow View Post
Bas, a genuine question.
Have to say that I am a little apprehensive that it could possibly succumb to the documented problem. I understand that it will be sorted under warranty, and accept this.
If that is so, I am nervous about purchasing one of the new series Subs, when Rolex has continued to release new models knowing that the problem continues to exist.
There's a decent chance that if you buy one it will eventually developed that dreaded issue.
Old 29 November 2020, 06:31 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ2020 View Post
I had my watch regulated a couple weeks ago. It was running -4, the repairman stated he increased the timing by 3 seconds and to wear it a couple of weeks and see how it does. It was running a vary consistent -2 each day of the two week trial. That includes being VERY active for 5 day straight and very inactive for two days straight. X 2 weeks. Each day still measured -2. Like I said, very consistent. (Also worn 24/7). I went back today and was told it's magnetized.
Has anyone experienced this behavior on the 3235 yet?
When any watch gets magnetised in general they speed up and not slow down so would doubt thats the problem. There are a few problems with the 32 series movement mainly down to lubrication of certain movement parts that make the run slow.But cannot understand why anyone would want to open a watch for just 2 seconds difference out of 86400 in a day.And just because it was regulated on a machine dont mean always it will perform exactly the same every day on the wrist

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 07:04 PM   #11
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But cannot understand why anyone would want to open a watch for just 2 seconds difference out of 86400 in a day.

Agree - even if it’s averaging 4-6 sec. per day over a month’s time.

I don’t know who is the “repairman” in the OP’s narrative, but if it wasn’t the RSC then the 2020 DJ is now out of warranty for tampering.

And if it was the RSC, how they came to “magnetized” is curious - it would mean any work is at customer’s expense, right? Magnetization isn’t a defect in factory workmanship...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 07:08 PM   #12
Oldfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
There's a decent chance that if you buy one it will eventually developed that dreaded issue.
Thank you for your response.
Oldfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 07:14 PM   #13
bmb15
Banned

@OP
The last two answers summarize it completely.
I have a few watches with 32xx movements, bought early after they were released, these had severe problems, but nothing to do with magnetization.
The key for yours is the "repairman".
Did you ask him how he identified that your watch is magnetized?
If your watch is running very consistenly -2 s/d (as you wrote in post #1) than the movement is very well regulated.
That corresponds to an accuracy of 0,000023 = 2,3 E-5
May I ask how you determine the - 2 s/d and what is the precision of your meadurement?
bmb15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 11:59 PM   #14
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

Magnetized watches run faster not slower
-2 sec is within specs, I would be happy with it and not worry about it!
Mechanical watches will never (or close to never) run exactly like an atomic clock
Old 30 November 2020, 12:01 AM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
OP, even though most parts in the escapement are made of materials that are either non magnetic or very hard to magnetise, there are still plenty of steel parts in the movement that can get magnetised and have some effect on the timekeeping.

I've answered your question several times now... And the answer is still the same. There is no permanent fix for the 32×× yet.
The new models are a bit too young to be having this issue yet, but sadly I am sure we will see them coming in for warranty repairs in a year or so.
always appreciate your expertise Bas, truly.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 12:08 AM   #16
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfellow View Post
Bas, a genuine question.
Quote:
Oh great, I HAVE one of the new subs Bas, I heard (who knows if it’s true or not) that with the absolutely latest, like my 2020 sub, Rolex improved that issue(?).
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 04:32 AM   #17
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Another 3235 running slow story. Mine runs slow and will probably run slower after time.
Old 30 November 2020, 04:54 AM   #18
samuel019

Watch: Me go broke!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
Another 3235 running slow story. Mine runs slow and will probably run slower after time.
Yep. Same here.

Out of my entire collection, all of em, my 126610 is the only one that runs slow. Every other one is either spot on or fast. Never experienced a slow running Rolex. NEVER.

Oh well. I can live with it for sure. The slowness is not worth packing up my watch and sending to RSC or my AD. It’s just not. Now if it stops, gets crazy erratic then that’s a different story.

A few slow seconds? Don’t care
Old 30 November 2020, 05:15 AM   #19
Annan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116233
I bought my DJ41 new in June 2017. Started out at -2s/day and ran progressively slower so finally shipped it to RSC in October 2018. It came back running great, on average about +1.5s/day. That lasted until early 2020 when I noticed it was approaching -2s/day.

My wear pattern has been 12 hrs./day and leaving it dial up overnight. It seemed to start losing time on my wrist and then gaining 1-2 seconds overnight. I am fairly active (even for an old guy) so am sure I was giving it enough motion to keep it sufficiently wound. I even checked the power reserve and found it to be fine at 70 hours.

So lately, I've tried winding it weekly. On day 1 of the week I give it 50 full turns. It runs great at +2s/day but starts to slow by day 4. So now I'm wondering if the auto wind is not functioning? As much as I wear the watch it should not be running down.

I should add......I'm also concerned about the latest models with the 3235 movement developing issues. As Bas has mentioned Rolex has not yet rolled out a fix for the reported problems and apparently has not made any updates to the latest movement. It would seem those of us with the 3235 are doomed to repeatedly sending our watches back to RSC for a temporary fix.

Last edited by Annan; 30 November 2020 at 05:22 AM.. Reason: add comment
Annan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 05:30 AM   #20
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
I'm not overly worried about any issues with my DJ41 as the watch is well covered under warranty, 5 with Rolex and a further 5 with Watches of Switzerland.

My question concerns the new 3230 movement in the no date watches, is this the same movement as the 3235 (just minus the date complication) or is the 3230 completely different?

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 05:43 AM   #21
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
We really need Bas back in this thread!

Could someone in the Netherlands please go wake him up? Or catch up with him if he is in one of his 4,390 KM races he always runs?
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 05:48 AM   #22
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
I'm not overly worried about any issues with my DJ41 as the watch is well covered under warranty, 5 with Rolex and a further 5 with Watches of Switzerland.

My question concerns the new 3230 movement in the no date watches, is this the same movement as the 3235 (just minus the date complication) or is the 3230 completely different?
It's the same as 3235 but just without the date function. So slightly thinner.

So far all three previously released versions (3255, 3285, 3235) have had the issue. The 3230 was released not long ago, but will most likely develop the same issue.

As of Nov. 2020 there is no permanent fix yet, just the extra point of lubricaton, in the manual.
Old 30 November 2020, 06:02 AM   #23
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
When any watch gets magnetised in general they speed up and not slow down so would doubt thats the problem. There are a few problems with the 32 series movement mainly down to lubrication of certain movement parts that make the run slow.But cannot understand why anyone would want to open a watch for just 2 seconds difference out of 86400 in a day.And just because it was regulated on a machine dont mean always it will perform exactly the same every day on the wrist
Agreed.
I would only have the watch opened up after a trend was well established in terms of declining accuracy with a threshold of COSC standards as a loose yardstick.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:04 AM   #24
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
It's the same as 3235 but just without the date function. So slightly thinner.

So far all three previously released versions (3255, 3285, 3235) have had the issue. The 3230 was released not long ago, but will most likely develop the same issue.

As of Nov. 2020 there is no permanent fix yet, just the extra point of lubricaton, in the manual.
Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

Another question if I may, any affected watches go to their respective RSC and are repaired, if there isn't a permanent fix yet are the repairs completed actually resolving the problem or just a temporary resolution which will require further visits to the RSC to resolve?

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:18 AM   #25
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Oh great, I HAVE one of the new subs Bas, I heard (who knows if it’s true or not) that with the absolutely latest, like my 2020 sub, Rolex improved that issue(?).
Quote:
O.

Bas answers above .. no permanent fix yet .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:18 AM   #26
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Thanks for the reply, very helpful.

Another question if I may, any affected watches go to their respective RSC and are repaired, if there isn't a permanent fix yet are the repairs completed actually resolving the problem or just a temporary resolution which will require further visits to the RSC to resolve?
You have already come to the ultimate conclusion as the situation currently stands

Perhaps we will hear in the not too distant future of a new lubricant specially developed by Rolex just for the new generation movements.
The lube will have a propriety name and everything so that Rolex can market it as a distinctive feature.
I wonder what they'll call it
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:28 AM   #27
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
I'm surprised and disappointed that this is still an issue. However, I am glad to have acquired a 2020 31xx movement!
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:40 AM   #28
seabreeze60
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Carl F. Buc
Is there a link to the warranty rate estimate on the 3235 issue? I own a 2020 version and am curious what the chances are of having a problem?

Rolex news releases have nothing but wonderful reports on this movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seabreeze60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:41 AM   #29
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmb15 View Post
@OP
The last two answers summarize it completely.
I have a few watches with 32xx movements, bought early after they were released, these had severe problems, but nothing to do with magnetization.
The key for yours is the "repairman".
Did you ask him how he identified that your watch is magnetized?
If your watch is running very consistenly -2 s/d (as you wrote in post #1) than the movement is very well regulated.
That corresponds to an accuracy of 0,000023 = 2,3 E-5
May I ask how you determine the - 2 s/d and what is the precision of your meadurement?
I use time is to check my timing. The "repairman" is employed by rolex (1 of2) at this location in Winston-Salem NC. They have a very nice service center inside the store. Looks like a operating room. They wear white over coats and the whole bit. The checking of magnetism is routine and no charge. He explained to me that although the material used in 32xx movements are mostly non magnetic, that the pivots are still made of a magnetic material. When they get magnetized they will increase the bearing load in the jewels and slow the watch down slightly due to increased resistance on the train. The results are only noticeable by a few seconds a day slow relative to how the movement was running previously. My AD ask me when I purchased the watch to wear it two weeks at a time and not to baby it. Wear it under every day conditions. Then report back to him. I have done this twice and is running currently at 0 sec per day. He states these movements are perfectly capable of running at or near -0/+0 for years. He said they were asked to wear watches while in training to demonstrate just that. He uses a calibrated gauss meter to check magnetism btw.
Old 30 November 2020, 08:34 AM   #30
DJ2020
"TRF" Member

I might also mention that if you own a new Omega 8800's or 8900 and pull your certification results, you will see the beat rate slows at 1.5 telsa while being tested. You will also notice in the Omega video explaining the METAS testing, that after the watch is exposed to 15,000 gauss that it is then " demagetized".
I may also point out the the only reason a magnetized watch runs fast, is the hair spring in contracting under magnetic fields or the coils are stuck together. As such, Si14 and Parachrome hair springs are not affected by magnetic fields. Given that aspect, a watch that is equipped with such a escapement slows rather than speeds up when magnetized. Due to other components other than the escapement being magnetized and increasing the resistance in the train, thus reducing the beat rate.
Just saying.