The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 October 2008, 06:54 AM   #1
craig66
"TRF" Member

dssd flipped and bought a gmt 2c....

bought one of the first dssd to hit the north west of the uk back in mid september. never got to take the plastics off as the watch never really smiled at me...eventually flipped the watch for a reasonable profit even with its resale value falling by the day, should be readily avialable at mrsp come new year in my opinion so if it one your after i'd wait. definitely a marmite watch!!! bought a bnib gmt2c today and definitely a keeper...
craig66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 06:55 AM   #2
vzmax
"TRF" Member

Congrats on your new GMT-IIc, great choice.. I probably would have done the same.
vzmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 06:58 AM   #3
harvey
"TRF" Member

craig im pleased you managed to off load it and pick up something which is more suited...

just out of interest why did you get the gmtIIc and not something else?
Old 17 October 2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Skippy

I guess you where just in time selling this baby as I already seen a brand new SDDS go below list. Now if I can only find a Milgauss GV below list then I would be realy tempted to get one(but I do feel this day will also come pretty soon).

Enjoy your new GMTIIc, mutch more versatile watch then the SDDS.
Skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 07:19 AM   #5
craig66
"TRF" Member

harvey - i'd narrowed my choice down to the gmt2c, milgauss gv and a daytona ss. opted for the gmt2c mainly for having the date feature apart from being a beautiful watch. intend to pick up a milgauss gv as a second watch when they reach mrsp which wont be long in my opinion as they falling fast in the current market conditions. i'll hold out for a daytona until they add the date feature, told this is probably going to be added when the new one comes out... as for the dssd, i'll not be after a new one as it doesn't smile at me, expensive, too bulky even with 7.5"wrist so took the opportunity to make good profit while it was there!!! this watch won't sell over mrsp in a few mths time...
Old 17 October 2008, 07:31 AM   #6
harvey
"TRF" Member

thanks for the explanation... congrats on getting the gmtIIc again... a few months ago i made a few calls to ernest jones for one, for a forum member here... i was quoted anywhere from six to eight month lead time for it...

some times i regret flipping my deepsea but the opportunity to make 25% was too good to miss... since i can get it again at rrp minus 10%, i can wait...

due to the limited number of watches this country gets... i dont really see much discounting going on ss models... there will always be buyers who are more than willing to pay rrp...
Old 17 October 2008, 07:36 AM   #7
fania123
"TRF" Member

WOW a DDSD for a GMTII me thinks you will regret that someday. I love my GMTII but

would never trade my DSSD for it. Hope you got a good deal on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig66 View Post
harvey - i'd narrowed my choice down to the gmt2c, milgauss gv and a daytona ss. opted for the gmt2c mainly for having the date feature apart from being a beautiful watch. intend to pick up a milgauss gv as a second watch when they reach mrsp which wont be long in my opinion as they falling fast in the current market conditions. i'll hold out for a daytona until they add the date feature, told this is probably going to be added when the new one comes out... as for the dssd, i'll not be after a new one as it doesn't smile at me, expensive, too bulky even with 7.5"wrist so took the opportunity to make good profit while it was there!!! this watch won't sell over mrsp in a few mths time...
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 07:38 AM   #8
craig66
"TRF" Member

seems the ad cases are filling up fast as i've seen 4 gmt2c ss, 3 sub lv's, 1 milgauss white dial and even yesterday a gmt2c tt selling new at old £5340 price tag...the milgauss gv will be next in my opinion with the daytona the only on to hold out but the market condition could even bring that one down too..................
Old 17 October 2008, 07:55 AM   #9
mike
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the GMT. It'a a fantastic watch.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 11:40 AM   #10
gone2vegas
"TRF" Member

Congrats on the new watch. Sounds like it was the right move.

PAM 312
gone2vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 11:57 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
bought one of the first dssd to hit the north west of the uk back in mid september. never got to take the plastics off as the watch never really smiled at me...eventually flipped the watch for a reasonable profit even with its resale value falling by the day, should be readily avialable at mrsp come new year in my opinion so if it one your after i'd wait. definitely a marmite watch!!! bought a bnib gmt2c today and definitely a keeper...
Excellent move, good choice, well done!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 11:58 AM   #12
rolex_addict
"TRF" Member

Well done
rolex_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 12:36 PM   #13
marshallr47
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,TT Sub,GMT
The GMT IIC IMO is a more useful watch. Congrats and enjoy.
Old 17 October 2008, 12:50 PM   #14
Ivy League
Banned

Watch: 116710LN
Good for you. And don't let those DSSD supporters doubt your decisions. You don't owe anybody any answers and You did what you felt was right for YOU!
Ivy League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 12:57 PM   #15
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
congrats, would have done the same. Great watch

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 01:10 PM   #16
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Icon16

super smart move, time will prove you right.
DARK_KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 01:35 PM   #17
mickeydainish
Banned

Watch: Sub Date 16610
Well done..... :-)
mickeydainish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 01:41 PM   #18
mdtddd2007
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, AP, GS
nicely done. congrats...
mdtddd2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 02:34 PM   #19
Nigel Tufnel

Great move and great timing.
Nigel Tufnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 05:51 PM   #20
craig66
"TRF" Member

dssd prices do seem to be falling daily as i've already said its a marmite watch you either love it or hate it. although its alot of watch and extremely well made with alot of new features the price and thickness of the case are its downfall to me, really wanted to like this watch but it just didnt smile at me.........told lists are shortening by the day as people see it and pass and with any profit for flippers dropping daily it will soon be sitting in the dealers case...imo
Old 17 October 2008, 05:56 PM   #21
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
well done. the right choice IMO. the GMT IIC is just the best

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 06:19 PM   #22
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
i'll hold out for a daytona until they add the date feature, told this is probably going to be added when the new one comes out...
You might be waiting a while if you believe one report (check the "Rolex VIP night in Tampa: RESULTS!" thread). I asked this question about the Daytona as I don't want to purchase one until they offer a date...as you'll see in that thread, there is a credible report that Rolex is never planning on adding a date. Then again, never say never - right? With Rolex, I guess you never really know...Cheers!
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 06:50 PM   #23
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
great choice!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 11:29 PM   #24
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
People can look at watches and disagree about which looks the coolest, but the utility of GMT-IIC over the SDDS is almost indisputable. Congrats and enjoy. You'll spend far more time in another timezone than you will at 3899 meters underwater.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2008, 11:35 PM   #25
petespendthrift

The DSSD is rapidly turning out to be a flop. Hope Rolex learn their lesson by this - stay away from fashion/bling and get back to basics with no nonsense practical, classy watches.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 12:34 AM   #26
wristworks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petespendthrift View Post
The DSSD is rapidly turning out to be a flop. Hope Rolex learn their lesson by this - stay away from fashion/bling and get back to basics with no nonsense practical, classy watches.

??????????????????????????????????Turning into a flop??????????

My AD has closed his waiting list. Are you from the planet zob?

Edit: now I see why you don't like it...you have the old one.
wristworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 02:46 AM   #27
petespendthrift

There was a huge waiting list but as they come in to ADs lots of people are going in, looking and then deciding that they are not that keen after all. The credit crunch is not helping but lots of people wanted an updated SD and that's not what they are, so expectations are not being met.

The proof is there for all to see - rapidly diminishing waiting lists and amongst owners selling them on, a drop in price from way over list to some now actually selling (brand new in box) below list.

There are of course some who are loving theirs but for many they are a bit too extreme in price and size. There are lots of great features - brushed finish and lovely bracelet but its not really an everyday kind of watch.

Also, I actually sold my SD which I regret doing.
petespendthrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 04:09 AM   #28
dcvelo
Banned

Nothing wrong with the DSSD, I think it is a great watch. I happen to own both, and it's been two weeks since I got the "beast", and it has not come off my wrist yet, except when I go to sleep. Give the watch its own merits, it is definitely "NOT" a flop. I think people that form an opinion on this new Rolex, are people that either own the old SD (great watch BTW), or have the GMT IIc. And they haven't tried the watch on, or bought another model before this one was introduced, and they are a little upset about it.
Just my 2c..........
dcvelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 04:14 AM   #29
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcvelo View Post
. And they haven't tried the watch on, or bought another model before this one was introduced, and they are a little upset about it.
Just my 2c..........
Or they think Rolex made a huge error -- adorning a "hockey puck" with graffiti in order to attain a meaningless depth rating.

Glad you like yours though.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2008, 04:41 AM   #30
dcvelo
Banned

Love my hockey puck, and just an observation, with a name like that, you should be the proud owner of a DSSD!!!
dcvelo is offline   Reply With Quote