The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 December 2017, 12:21 PM   #1
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

DSSD D-Blue vs SD43

Hello all,

New member here, great forum.

I have a general question.

I am currently looking at the DSSD D-Blue and the SD (new 43 model). I know both are difficult to get atm.

I prefer bigger watches and have a decent sized wrist (7.5").

I previously owned the DSSD, it was a little top heavy and the bracelet tapers in a fair bit. For this reason, I am considering the SD43, which is almost as big, without the the thickness of the DSSD. I like the looks of both, so that really isn't an issue.

Anyone in the same position, or mulled over the same decision?
Do members here have any advice? I have a gut feeling that the D-Blue will be worth more in the future, but potentially, so can the SD43 50th Anniversary (that's if they stop making either, which I feel they may for both
).

Cheers.
PPFANBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Uppersouth
"TRF" Member

Watch: SWISS
The SD 43 is a much more comfortable watch in my opinion. I love the dial on the deep blue, but do wish Rolex would update the bracelet on the DSSD to the new SD bracelet as it’s much more proportional.
-ROBERT FROST
Uppersouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 03:29 PM   #3
Tmac478
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Skydweller
I also have a 7.5" wrist and recently purchased the SD43. I've never owned the deep blue but I can tell you, the SD43 is the perfect size for a 7.5" wrist. Super comfortable. Highly recommend this watch.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Tmac478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 03:33 PM   #4
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Hey, SD 126600 sounds like the obvious choice for you.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 05:47 PM   #5
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

I'm leaning towards the SD43 TBH.

I think the new bracelet is what gets it over the line and I actually like the way the date looks.
Old 3 December 2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Forget about future value; no point going down that road if the watch is going to irritate the living daylights out of you because it's not comfortable.

When you previously owned the DSSD, did you remove the diver's extension link? That advice was given to me and it makes a world of difference in terms of comfort.

As for the choice between the two, I would go D-Blue because it looks that bit more special. The SD43 looks, to me at least, like a Sub on steroids and no one would be able to tell the difference from five metres away.

Apart from trying both on and seeing what works best for you, wait for Brian (Brandrea) to chip in. He owns both and loves both but, if he was forced to choose with an unmentionable to his head, I think he would lean slightly towards the SD43.

Good luck.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:33 PM   #7
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I tried both on and love both.

The SD43 just had a look of a big sub whereas I felt the D-Blue was a bit more imposing and just felt special.

I also love the story with the D-Blue etc.

Size wise the SD43 suited me better but as it won’t be a daily wearer I went for D-Blue as it’s a bit more badass.

Can’t go wrong with either, but there’s just something about the D-Blue IMO.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 06:54 PM   #8
rudestew
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD SD43 Mk1 50TH
I have both , the deepsea is as you described and for that reason the sd43 being a slimmer more attractive model gets to go out all the time . Iv a 8” wrist and it’s just about bang on .
rudestew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:19 PM   #9
ade
"TRF" Member

Watch: depends on my mood
I have both, and the DBlue is just really special. In looks, back story, and engineering it is the daddy. The domed crystal sets it apart, and other than the Ringlock creating height, i actually think the DBlue optically wears smaller than the SD43.

The SD43 is a super watch, but it feels like a heavy marketing exercise that combined many features of previous different Subs and SDs. It’s very nice, but not special like the DBlue.
ade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 07:39 PM   #10
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
The general consensus appears to be that the SD43 is pretty much the perfect dive watch.

The DSSD is notoriously top heavy and like you say the thin bracelet looks disproportionate to its size.

I'm not hating on the DSSD, at the end of the day its a tool watch designed for one thing.

Rolex make it first and foremost as an instrument of the deep.

The fact we choose to wear it on a daily basis and then complain that it doesn't fit under a dress shirt cuff really is irrelevant to Rolex!

Having said that if you do want a divers tool watch that CAN be worn on a daily basis, the SD43 is the one.

Cheers
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 08:52 PM   #11
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I own both, but haven’t had the Deep Blue nearly as long.

If I was to choose only 1, it would be the SD43. It is very comfortable and , while the Deep Blue is very cool, I find its less versitile than the SD43 (eg I’ll be wearing the SD43 as my only watch with a suit and casually while I’m traveling this week, but I would be reluctant to bring only the Deep Blue on a biz trip)

Fully agree with Ruud’s comments above about ignoring future value...you’re buying this to enjoy not to trade
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:17 PM   #12
Barrier25
"TRF" Member

DSSD seems like a more unique watch. That being said, I haven’t seen the SD43 in person yet.
Barrier25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:30 PM   #13
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Sounds like the DSSD proportions didn't play well with you. Go SD43!
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:45 PM   #14
Barrier25
"TRF" Member

DSSD seems like a more unique watch. That being said, I haven’t seen the SD43 in person yet.
Barrier25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 10:46 PM   #15
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
Forget about future value; no point going down that road if the watch is going to irritate the living daylights out of you because it's not comfortable.

When you previously owned the DSSD, did you remove the diver's extension link? That advice was given to me and it makes a world of difference in terms of comfort.

As for the choice between the two, I would go D-Blue because it looks that bit more special. The SD43 looks, to me at least, like a Sub on steroids and no one would be able to tell the difference from five metres away.

Apart from trying both on and seeing what works best for you, wait for Brian (Brandrea) to chip in. He owns both and loves both but, if he was forced to choose with an unmentionable to his head, I think he would lean slightly towards the SD43.

Good luck.
We'll Paul, it may surprise you to hear that I'd pick the Dblue if forced to choose.

OP it sounds like the DSSD didn't work out too well for you the first time. Did you remove the diver extension for a better fit as Paul asked? I also sourced a half link for mine through my AD and found that it helped to make for a perfect fit.

Both are incredibly cool watches with great wrist presence, but there's no denying the special feeling I get when I slip on the Dblue.

In your neck of the woods I'd get on the list for both and take whichever comes first

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:09 PM   #16
A.I.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LV
So,

I tried on the DSSD. A nice watch with huge heft which I might have been able to get used to but it just looked like I had Big Ben on my wrist. Very top heavy. The 'Ring Lock Sytem' print just didn't sit well with me either. It just said ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX and that's not me.

The SD43 however was perfect in every way and that's what I ended up with.

Try them both on - and buy whichever you like the most.
A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2017, 11:48 PM   #17
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Thanks again guys. Great feedback and food for thought.

So the DSSD was fine, it didn't bother me as such, it just felt top-heavy, sat quite high. But I do like big watches, especially AP ROOs. All my watches are min 43-44mm (whoops I lied, AP 15400 is 41 from memory, but it wears a little bigger).

I did not remove the diver extension. Didn't realise that could make a difference.

I'm still fairly torn. I really love the DSSD D-Blue.....The SD43 also looks very nice, it is different. I guess I'm better off getting what I can get first.

I know I sound crazy- but now I'm leaning towards the DSSD haha.

Also before anyone says it, I don't want both. Has to be one or the other. (Because the original decision was SS YMII vs DSSD/SD43. Now it is YMII + DSSD/SD43).
Old 4 December 2017, 12:00 AM   #18
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I owned the DSSD and feel the SD43 is better balanced, however the DB dial is the most interesting of all so depends where you place most value. Brian's opinion should have significance too as he owns both.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:09 AM   #19
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I owned the DSSD and feel the SD43 is better balanced, however the DB dial is the most interesting of all so depends where you place most value. Brian's opinion should have significance too as he owns both.
Good summary. I guess that's what it comes down to.
Better balance vs better looking dial. Slimmer body with a nice face vs a very pretty face with a little bit of a chunky bod. (I'm still talking about watches here )

I did read his post, hence now leaning towards the DSSD again.
Old 4 December 2017, 09:06 AM   #20
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
Good summary. I guess that's what it comes down to.
Better balance vs better looking dial. Slimmer body with a nice face vs a very pretty face with a little bit of a chunky bod. (I'm still talking about watches here )

I did read his post, hence now leaning towards the DSSD again.
That looks great on you, Congrats !!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 11:03 AM   #21
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

they are both beautiful watches, i have the sd43, and i really like it, it s a nice watch, if you know your watches, you can tell it s not a SUB, as the proportions are different..but if people think i am wearing a SUB so what, who cares.
back to the topic, they are both really nice watches, you cannot go wrong.
i like the deep blue, because i like blue faces on a watch, and it s a cool watch. i like wearing big watches too, and the sd43 feels small compare to my Breitling chronospace...the SD43 is very classy like a sub, you can wear it with anything dressed up or down. i also feel like the SD43 is like killing 2 birds with one stone, you own a special sea dweller, with some red in it " wink"..that resemble a classic sub for the amateurs..saves you buying a Sub, later.
now go with your guts, do you want a cyclops? do you want 2 colors or just black? do you want Rolex all around or else. do you want a thicker watch? deep sea.
etc.. write the pro and cons of each watch and then pick.
good luck and good choice, whatever you pick.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:17 PM   #22
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I went with the SD for just the reasons you mentioned in your post.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 12:26 PM   #23
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
We'll Paul, it may surprise you to hear that I'd pick the Dblue if forced to choose.

OP it sounds like the DSSD didn't work out too well for you the first time. Did you remove the diver extension for a better fit as Paul asked? I also sourced a half link for mine through my AD and found that it helped to make for a perfect fit.

Both are incredibly cool watches with great wrist presence, but there's no denying the special feeling I get when I slip on the Dblue.

In your neck of the woods I'd get on the list for both and take whichever comes first

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
In the words of Mr Garrison, “Well spank my ass and cal me Charlie!” I would have bet money you’d lean towards the SD because of it being a 50th anniversary and you (us!) being ‘67 babies.

If you can make the D-Blue fit, it’s an incredible piece and it’s the one I would go for, all day every day

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 01:31 PM   #24
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
In the words of Mr Garrison, “Well spank my ass and cal me Charlie!” I would have bet money you’d lean towards the SD because of it being a 50th anniversary and you (us!) being ‘67 babies.

If you can make the D-Blue fit, it’s an incredible piece and it’s the one I would go for, all day every day
I'd go D-Blue for 2 reasons. I love the dial and not a cyclops fan. Just dreamn' anyway now that I'm poor after buying 3 Rolex's in the past 6 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 02:40 PM   #25
jets
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post
I also have a 7.5" wrist and recently purchased the SD43. I've never owned the deep blue but I can tell you, the SD43 is the perfect size for a 7.5" wrist. Super comfortable. Highly recommend this watch.

This.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 07:45 PM   #26
maton12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPFANBOY View Post
(Because the original decision was SS YMII vs DSSD/SD43. Now it is YMII + DSSD/SD43).
Do you already own the YMII?

For just one do it all well balanced watch, the SD43 is hard to go past as a friend has one and have been lucky enough to wear it for a few hours whilst out. Proportioned bracelet, perfect case size with a splash of red and really like the cyclops - plus I think Subs are just a touch small for over 7.5" wrist

I wear DBlue every day and love it, yes it's bigger, bulkier, out of proportion - but it's Rolex's alpha diving watch, with a link to James Cameron - but if it didn't fit you last time, maybe try to get it properly sized at the AD without the extension

And then how are you even going to choose? These are pretty hard to come by in Australia, or are you going to travel?
maton12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 10:05 PM   #27
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I have owned several DSSD in black and found them to be great watches but they did not stick. The proportions of the watch are slightly off but with proper adjustment it works. If the DSSD had a bracelet that was the size of the SD43 I think it would change the watch up. Before the release of the SD43 I kicked around getting the Blue but could not bring myself to pay 2-3K more just for the dial. The black dial DSSD can be sourced for around 8.5K. I own the SD43 and could not be more pleased. The watch is perfect for me in size, proportion, bracelet, dial and red text. I also like the cyclops. If I had to only have one watch it would be the SD43. Worth every dollar I paid for it and more, in my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 21858.jpeg (216.7 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 20170725_111707.jpg (134.7 KB, 284 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 10:36 PM   #28
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
If I had to only have one watch it would be the SD43. Worth every dollar I paid for it and more, in my opinion.
Well that sums it up especially when it is coming from William who had Rolex watches of almost all types.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2017, 11:10 PM   #29
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I went with the SD for just the reasons you mentioned in your post.
Compelling reasons both ways. Haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by maton12 View Post
Do you already own the YMII?

For just one do it all well balanced watch, the SD43 is hard to go past as a friend has one and have been lucky enough to wear it for a few hours whilst out. Proportioned bracelet, perfect case size with a splash of red and really like the cyclops - plus I think Subs are just a touch small for over 7.5" wrist

I wear DBlue every day and love it, yes it's bigger, bulkier, out of proportion - but it's Rolex's alpha diving watch, with a link to James Cameron - but if it didn't fit you last time, maybe try to get it properly sized at the AD without the extension

And then how are you even going to choose? These are pretty hard to come by in Australia, or are you going to travel?
I'll have the YMII in around 2 weeks. Tried it on, really loved it.

I'm thinking if I do go for the D-Blue, I can probably address the top heavy feeling with proper fitment and by removing the extension as mentioned by others.

I'll grab one from Dubai- I travel through Dubai at least 2 or 3 times a year. There are some here, but people are chasing around 3k AUD over RRP. Not hanging for the watch, so I'll get either one at my convenience.
Old 5 December 2017, 12:48 AM   #30
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac478 View Post

Yikes, it’s really starting to hit me why watches are getting bigger. I can’t imagine wearing a watch over the wrist that close to the hand ever being comfortable, but it does make the watch look smaller compared to the traditional way of wearing a watch:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 5142AB44-6C57-4EFC-B53B-F3F6A7FC9031.jpeg (78.5 KB, 241 views)
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote