The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Picture & Video Gallery

Old 30 July 2006, 07:18 PM   #1
The Dude

Street Photography: "Spirit of Discovery"

It has been a long time since I had this many pictures in a post but here we go today with more than 10 pictures - some are for something I am working on and others are just for fun but man - what a f..king pain to process all these RAW files - it just takes time. Most of today's pic were shot in RAW and the few I shot in JPEG I wish I had shot in RAW.

Some images are way too grainy - played with the ISO setting and kinda/sorta screwed it up for the day... Oh well so a few I switched to black and white and one to Sepia. I'll keep the comments to a minimum as it is now 4:53 a.m. and I want to get these out before going to bed... Why don't YOU guys comment for a change... Which picture you like and why - that would actually help me get better - and if you don't like any - which one is the worst and why - thanks!

Okay that's a cool one 12X louder! he he he

Who's going to see that Movie? "Snake on a Plane" ???? Errrrr not me, without having seen it I give it two thumbs down and a fart...

Now that's what I call a Manly Sunblock! Chain mail!!!!!

Half Mast

Good in color but...

... better in B&W!

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2006, 07:21 PM   #2
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Great diversity, Patrick!! Excellent pics as always!!

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2006, 07:42 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Great pictures Patrick .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
Atomic

Two things here....

1. You're stalking all my old haunts. Having also lived in the beach, I've spent many hours in 'Licks' and at the 'Sunset Grill'.

2. That Ferrari is THE Ferrari I rode in up here in Ottawa during the Ferrari festival. Seriously, the licence plate JAY 1, Jay is the owner's last name. His daughter has Jay 2 up here on Ottawa.
Old 1 August 2006, 10:30 AM   #5
Rodentman
Banned

Splendid! What is better about the RAW files, and why are they a pain to deal with, other than file size. My camera doesn't use that format.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2006, 01:27 PM   #6
The Dude

RAW Files >>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentman View Post
Splendid! What is better about the RAW files, and why are they a pain to deal with, other than file size. My camera doesn't use that format.
Well is a comparison, but first lets just say I can make an average picture look good and a good one look very good easily with a RAW file which is an uncompressed data file. When you shoot JPEG the camera compresses the captured data. RAW is all left for you to do as you please with (within reason) but you then have to compress the files to a usable format i.e. JPEG... Takes time but gives me better results.

JPEG Basic versus Normal, Fine and RAW converted to JPEG

So here I am wondering what the difference is once they have been resized - all of those below have been resized to 41% of the full size of 3008 X 2000 pixels (6.2 Mega Pixels of the Nikon D70S... It is all Slugo's fault but he openned my eyes - no more fine - Normal is more than good enough when shooting JPEG- and RAW for some stuff, but that was my thinking a few weeks ago and now I almost exclusively shoot RAW unless I am about to run out of memory on my card.

First: JPEG BASIC Resolution

Second: JPEG NORMAL Resolution

Third: JPEG FINE Resolution

Lastly: RAW converted to JPEG, adjustments done to the RAW file before the conversion and resize using Nikon Capture are,

Exposure compensation = + 0,17
Sharpenning = Medium High
Tone Compensation = Medium High
Hue Adjustment = -6
Color Balance = Blue +4

Now the same files in the same order not resized, 100% of original size just cropped...

JPEG BASIC

JPEG NORMAL

JPEG FINE

RAW to JPEG

So what do you think... I think I like the easy creative control RAW gives me but ... JPEG Normal or BASIC resolution is fine for the web and Normal for prints ...

But for stuff like this here... I'll keep shooting RAW.

So with RAW I can turn an ordinary looking picture into a good picture - quality wise - I used a run of the mill ordinary subject for the comparison - there is a difference between FINE and BASIC, see here.

FINE

BASIC

But nothing significant in this example to me however thansk to the RAW format I could obtain this one below - much better results than if I would have shot in JPEG. I finally figured that the less I play with the control the better the final results will be... Well what do you think of this one here?

Now between Normal and Fine - no fucking difference and not much of a difference between BASIC and FINI IMHO... So when I shoot JPEG - I'll shoot Normal but I'll still shoot RAW, more work but the results!!!

Are worth it!
The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote