The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 4 December 2021, 11:43 PM   #1
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116900
New Air-King shows +2 sec a day

My new 116900 (which is the coolest watch ever) has been running consistently at +27 seconds a day. I got it on Sept. 9, wore a day, and noticed the gain. I took it off and didn't touch crown up. The watch held perfectly for just under 48 hours. I have not taken the watch off since (shower and sleep with watch on). On this past Thursday I took to a CW-21 cert. watchmaker. We sat and talked watches and I saw with my own two eyes that both of his machines my watch ran at +2 sec a day with an amplitude of 316 I think. He refused to regulate which I agreed with. Anyone know what is going on? I'm a type A personality, could that be it? Thanx
Kap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:47 AM   #2
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Over banking, most likely. This has been a common thread recently. Take it to the watchmaker and have him perform this test - put it on the timing machine and wind the watch and just keep some resistant on the crown. The watch will most likely start to gallop like a horse. That is most likely the cause. It’s a very common problem with 3135 movements.

They would come in to the service center all the time with this issue.
Ashton_Horologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:56 AM   #3
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Thanx. What does it take to fix this issue? Have to leave it kinda deal?
Old 5 December 2021, 03:54 AM   #4
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Hope that it gets figured out. If the issue can't be repeated, it is impossible to address.
Old 5 December 2021, 04:16 AM   #5
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

No, it can be fixed. Sometime the tip of the mainspring can be polished, you could also adjust the escapement so the pallet stones lock a little deeper on the escape wheel. Or a weaker strength mainspring. The problem will be able to be replicated at the watchmaker by doing the above test. 316 is on the high end.
Old 5 December 2021, 07:23 AM   #6
shofzr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 218235 BronzeWaves
If it is over-banking it would not be running,. Over-banking is a failure of the escapement safety.

Re-banking is probably the cause.

Re-banking is a result of excessive amplitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speedmaster 125
shofzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:35 PM   #7
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

Re-banking, over banking and knocking are all the same thing. It’s excessive amplitude.
Old 5 December 2021, 01:50 PM   #8
shofzr
"TRF" Member

Over banking is when the escapement safety fails allowing the pallet fork to bank to the wrong side.

Re-banking / knocking is excessive amplitude.

Speedmaster 125
Old 5 December 2021, 11:15 PM   #9
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

I’ll concede this one, you are correct. I think the terms have been confused and end up being used interchangeably. Knocking is what I’m referring to.
Old 6 December 2021, 02:35 AM   #10
shofzr
"TRF" Member

You are correct Sir, the terms do get incorrectly interchanged.

I believe you are also correct about re-bank/knocking/ galloping being the issue. It’s pretty unlikely an Air-King would be magnetized.

Speedmaster 125
Old 6 December 2021, 07:27 AM   #11
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Back to your AD. There are 2 strenghts of mainsprings, so they should swap to the weaker one. Problem solved.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 04:49 AM   #12
Kap007
"TRF" Member

So after talking to my watchmaker he said it is called overbanking. However, he said watch works fine. He is not going to mess with it. He said this is how a Rolex will work. Not perfectly accurate. The +2 -2 specs are under perfect conditions. Will not happen when actually worn. I have 14000 AK that is recently serviced that is at about +5 a day. My new AK stays like +30 like I said. Any thoughts? Thanx
Old 22 December 2021, 05:29 AM   #13
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

That's not how a modern Rolex will and should work. Everyone I know with a modern day Rolex have watches within specs. My personal two are +1s/week or better. My fathers is basically spot on. I wear them while exercising and doing construction work too and they are still running perfectly.
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 07:37 AM   #14
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Go for specialized Rolex watchmaker. Rolex should easily run within the -2 / +2 seconds if properly serviced. Max amplitude is 300 degrees according to Rolex, this value gives headroom when the balance gets additional momentum due to movements of your arm when wearing the watch.
Old 22 December 2021, 09:07 PM   #15
George58
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek Aquanaut
put in a weaker main spring that's what rolex did to solve the same problem i had years ago with DS
George58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2021, 10:33 PM   #16
Ron P
"TRF" Member

A weaker mainspring was the remedy for the 3135 range of movements. Not sure if they also have a weaker mainspring for 3235 range of movements.
Bas, maybe you can chime in here?
Old 22 December 2021, 11:15 PM   #17
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Thanx for all of the replies. It's a 3131 movement. What I don't understand is how Rolex may have put the wrong mainspring in a newly made watch. I got watch new in Sept. Looking at warranty card a date of I think June/2021. Again, the watch shows a perfect +2 when put on time grapher. I would hate to have the movement tampered with possibly creating more problems. If I send to Rolex which I don't want to do, they would change out mainspring?
Old 23 December 2021, 12:57 AM   #18
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap007 View Post
Thanx for all of the replies. It's a 3131 movement. What I don't understand is how Rolex may have put the wrong mainspring in a newly made watch. I got watch new in Sept. Looking at warranty card a date of I think June/2021. Again, the watch shows a perfect +2 when put on time grapher. I would hate to have the movement tampered with possibly creating more problems. If I send to Rolex which I don't want to do, they would change out mainspring?

Warranty issue. Why aren’t you going to rsc or ad?

GGGMT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 06:09 AM   #19
Kap007
"TRF" Member

I really don't want to send to RSC. Intially get the 4-6 week thing but it will probably turn into three or four months until I get it back. Just got off the phone. We all know the Rolex number in NY? 212 758 7700. They were very nice and explained everything. However, I was told not to mail until Jan. 3, 2022. They are closed for the holidays as of tomorrow.
Old 27 December 2021, 01:41 AM   #20
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap007 View Post
So after talking to my watchmaker he said it is called overbanking. However, he said watch works fine. He is not going to mess with it. He said this is how a Rolex will work. Not perfectly accurate. The +2 -2 specs are under perfect conditions. Will not happen when actually worn. I have 14000 AK that is recently serviced that is at about +5 a day. My new AK stays like +30 like I said. Any thoughts? Thanx

The prior comments were correct and your watchmaker is incorrect. it’s not overbanking it’s rebanking. It needs to be addressed otherwise much more damage will occur with continued use. A quick remedy is using a heavier weight oil for the balance jewels. Something like HP 1000 or 1300 should do the trick. Probably no need to change the mainspring. In the meantime don’t wear it 24/7 keep it off for a few hrs to let the mainspring power down a touch.

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2022, 11:24 PM   #21
Kap007
"TRF" Member

This was probably the most unhelpful group of responses. I'm not going to touch it. I got like four or five different things to do. Yeah right. I can live with it running fast. Watch is a work horse. I have a very hard time believing from an earlier post that his Rolex is +1 sec a week. Nonsense. There is absolutely no way unless a quartz movement.
Old 3 January 2022, 01:18 AM   #22
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

I’m not sure what you are upset about? Anyway, your watch is not running correctly and it is re-banking. To say there is nothing that can be done is incorrect. You came here for advice, it was given, and now you don’t want to take it. That’s fine, you don’t have to. But your watch has a problem, irrespective of what the timing machine is displaying. It’s a very common problem that can be fixed. As has been mentioned, multiple times.
Old 3 January 2022, 02:10 AM   #23
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Overbank? Rebank? Different weight lubricant. Different spring. Come on. I'm not upset. I hope this is the worst thing that happens to me. I find it hard to believe that Rolex would let the watch leave factory with the wrong lube etc. I have gotten some wonderful advice through this forum. Not this time. My CW-21 guy used the term fan boy. Haaa.
Old 3 January 2022, 03:42 AM   #24
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

You clearly don’t understand mechanical machines. Your watch has too much amplitude. Simple. It is re-banking. It’s a common horological issue that can develop. Happens all the time. A solution is to use a weaker mainspring. Rolex produce them. It’s an official rolex part. Heavier lubrication is a solution as it will create drag and increase friction. It’s not the solution I, or rolex would go with. Another solution is to polish the tip of the mainspring and re-lubricate the barrel wall.

Also, I’m not a fan boy. I’m a WOSTEP and Rolex trained watchmaker so I have some idea of what I’m talking about.

Also, just because you don’t recognize good advice doesn’t mean you haven’t been given it. This thread is full of good advice that you repeatedly ignore and Burch off as quackery. You have chosen to listen to your watch repairer who has given you bad advice and not fixed the problem with the watch.
Old 3 January 2022, 05:52 AM   #25
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Why would a new Rolex that has never been opened need work and parts changed and polished on the inside? I just don't get it. The watch works correctly.
Old 3 January 2022, 06:01 AM   #26
Ashton_Horologist
"TRF" Member

I’m confused. The watch works perfectly or the watch is gaining time out of spec?

To address your question. If a watch is gaining time excessively even if a timing machine says it’s within spec the issue is usually re-banking if magnetism has been checked. Amplitude is affected by a number of factors. A new watch movement is put together, lubricated and adjusted. These parts are made in large quantities and quality control isn’t always what it should be. Often, the bridle of the mainspring can be too rough and it catches the barrel wall. Possibly the barrel wall could have too little lubrication.

All automatic watch movement have upper amplitude limits and if those limits are exceeded, the watch can gain considerable time because it is re-banking. When the automatic work winds the mainspring it is increasing the amplitude at the balance.

Why do you think warranties exist? If new Rolex’s, or any product for that matter, didn’t need issues addressing there would be no such thing as warranties.
Old 3 January 2022, 06:57 AM   #27
Kap007
"TRF" Member

Thanx for the explanation. That seems to clear it up for me. As I said watch works great. It does gain more than the +2 a day but I can live with it. If I rest it, which was once, the watch stayed exactly where it was +0.