The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 25 May 2009, 07:28 AM   #1
lm21

Watch: Breitling+Rolex
In-House Movements???

Wondering how people perceive and/or value Panerai's in-house movements versus non. Are these models priced or valued higher? Are the models with in-house movements more sought after than the non, or is it even an issue with fans/collectors?
lm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
BigHat
Banned

Watch: Lange One MP
I like having jumped on Panny train with a p2002 as they will all eventually be all in-house. Of course, I'd buy plenty pre-Vendome models and well as a California (JLC movement) if given the chance.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 08:07 AM   #3
argee1977
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Almost every sought after watch has a non in-house movement, none of the in-house models are hard to get. The hard to get models recently have all been fitted with basic ETA movements, such as the 26, 28, 292, etc.

PANERAI, MORE THAN A WATCH, LESS THAN A KITKAT
argee1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 09:02 AM   #4
JRA
2024 Pledge Member

Given that most high-end watches are totally over priced, it's nice to purchase a piece that has some degree of exclusivity and an in-house movement provides that. I've waited for Panerai to produce an in-house movement in a "relatively affordable" price range and I think they've accomplished this with their new line. While the design has always been pretty interesting, I just couldn't see paying top dollar for a sharp, exclusive case design and a movement you could buy for less than $100. Now, with his new line of movements, they will certainly open up the universe of interested buyers.....like me.
JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 09:25 AM   #5
lm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Given that most high-end watches are totally over priced, it's nice to purchase a piece that has some degree of exclusivity and an in-house movement provides that... While the design has always been pretty interesting, I just couldn't see paying top dollar for a sharp, exclusive case design and a movement you could buy for less than $100...
I find Panerai's designs to be second to none, and several chrono models have me COMPLETELY hooked. However, I must agree with you - I feel uneasy about paying what I consider to be a lot of money for 'just' a design (even though it's one seriously BADASS design!). No offense, but it's akin to buying a Porsche with a VW engine.

Dissenting opinions?
Old 25 May 2009, 10:17 AM   #6
JRA
2024 Pledge Member

Agreed, Mark. The design is great and I'm sure it's a robust product over all but it's not cheap. Clearly, the move to in-house movements is pretty much a recognition of the need produce a more exclusive product and open up their client base - otherwise, they'd simply use ETA movements or some other mass-produced supplier at leave it at that.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:19 AM   #7
JRA
2024 Pledge Member

And by the way, your analogy with the Porsche and the VW is spot on - back in the day, buyers of the Porsche 914 were essentially doing just that.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:52 AM   #8
brainbizz

It just depends on how much. I do not mind the ETA in low to mid range prices 249, 26 etc. Just want it to be rugged, dependable and proven. In the higher end watches ie 289 I expect more. I own several PAMs with in house movements 270,233,289,268 and recently the Ferrari 24 with Minerva mvmt. They are all awesome and great but my 249 is the favorite. Is it worth any less to me due to the movmt? No way. I purchased it for its style. I due not care what the movmt cost to make. The watch is worth what it is worth. IMHO the porsche analogy is misleading. If Porsche could provide the same performance and reliability while at a lesser price with a VW engine then why not? I personally would like the new Panerai mvmts to be proven before I fork over my cash. In the end some watches I buy for the movement some for the design. The watch sometimes is more than the sum of its parts.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2009, 11:53 AM   #9
lm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbizz View Post
It just depends on how much...The watch sometimes is more than the sum of its parts.
Good point - in fact, I believe many would say exactly that about Rolex given their lack of complications...

Background on all this... I'm 99% set on a new Deepsea, but then I look around and see these Panerai folks - fanatical. Go to the store to rule them out, but end up getting blindsided by a 213. Beyond words - love everything about it - look, fit, complications, exclusivity. Problem is it's $14k - nearly 50% more than the Deepsea!
So I do some research - am I willing to stretch the budget for it? Bottom line: if the movement was proprietary, I'd find a way. Ignorance is bliss...
Old 25 May 2009, 12:06 PM   #10
B. Doggy
"TRF" Member

You can buy a 111 or 112 and get a very fine timepiece. I'm talking style, accuracy, prestige, etc. These watches exemplify Panerai and they have ETA movements. Folks- A PAM is not just about movement. Let's not forget about the history because if that's any indication then this post needs some good sensibility. Many old school PAM have a Rolex, Angelus, or whatever kind of movement. Is Panerai, or should it be, an in-house movement is the question?

P.S. I love me a good in-house movement.
Old 25 May 2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Is this a Panerai or Rolex Forum?
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 12:05 AM   #12
brainbizz

I own the deep sea and several panerai cronos. I believe the 213 is rat. flyback crono. It is a beautiful watch but is always the last to sell at the AD and I always see one in the case. It also takes a large resale hit. Point being you may get a discount. I must say that I like the DSSD and wear it frequently. At that price range I would opt for the 233. In house 8 day movement 1950 case. If you are a crono guy check out 251 daylight or one of my favorites 236 (daylight on a bracelet).
Old 26 May 2009, 06:07 AM   #13
lm21

Quote:
I own the deep sea and several panerai cronos. I believe the 213 is rat. flyback crono. It is a beautiful watch but is always the last to sell at the AD and I always see one in the case. It also takes a large resale hit. Point being you may get a discount. I must say that I like the DSSD and wear it frequently. At that price range I would opt for the 233. In house 8 day movement 1950 case. If you are a crono guy check out 251 daylight or one of my favorites 236 (daylight on a bracelet).
Thanks for the recommendations and the info - much appreciated! I guess I have some more research to do...

Dude at the AD offered me 15% without even asking. I have a feeling getting it lower wouldn't be too hard, but just not sure if I even want to go there.
Old 26 May 2009, 11:31 AM   #14
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
Mark, I notice that you have a Datora and that has a Valjoux based movement and I'm sure you are very happy with it as it is a great timepiece. I wouldn't worry too much about ETA/Valjoux based movements because let's face it every Omega has one and they are certainly good watches. Here's a link to a thread I started after doing a little research on these movements. Good info I think. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ht=ETA+Valjoux

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2009, 12:37 PM   #15
lm21

Quote:
Originally Posted by buz-lh View Post
Mark, I notice that you have a Datora and that has a Valjoux based movement and I'm sure you are very happy with it as it is a great timepiece. I wouldn't worry too much about ETA/Valjoux based movements because let's face it every Omega has one and they are certainly good watches. Here's a link to a thread I started after doing a little research on these movements. Good info I think. http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...ht=ETA+Valjoux
I appreciate everyone's response to my post - thank you all!

Excellent point, Buz. Hence my previous comment - ignorance is bliss. In my 'defense' I will say that at the time I was young, naive, and prone to accepting offers on the spot. I am indeed happy with it now, but initially I was not because it spent more time in the shop than it did on my wrist during the first six months of ownership! I guess the biggest difference b/t the two situations is that the Panerai I'm looking at is nearly 3x more than the Breitling. Good info regarding Omega - I had no idea...
Old 26 May 2009, 11:59 PM   #16
brainbizz

A few cronos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00749.jpg (53.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00778.jpg (57.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC7777.jpg (53.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 27 May 2009, 12:18 AM   #17
Trurolexer
Banned

Watch: 5513MaxiI+PreComex
Quote:
A few cronos
GREAT!!!
Trurolexer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2009, 02:09 AM   #18
lm21

Quote:
A few cronos
Sweet! I love the bracelet and the carbon fiber strap...