The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 24 October 2014, 11:31 AM   #1
El Cascarrabias
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16613LB
Fitting the bracelet

When buying from a trusted seller how difficult is it to size the bracelet yourself?

This would be a 216750.

Thanks!
El Cascarrabias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 12:05 PM   #2
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
With the proper driver (size and cut) and patience - easy.

You want a hollow ground screwdriver at 1.6mm

This one is particularly nice for the $....... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-mm-Jumbo...item27eefbefa5
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2014, 11:46 PM   #3
iclick
"TRF" Member

If you mean minor sizing at the clasp, for the first four decades I always used a paperclip for all spring bars--case and clasp, which worked fine--but since that time have acquired a Bergeon 6767F tool for the job. I didn't need it for this purpose, but the tool has a forked spring-bar tip on one end and the straight tip for this purpose on the other. I needed the former for the Daytona that has no outer spring-bar holes in the case.

OTOH if you want to add or subtract links, ideally you'll need a 1.6mm cut-out screwdriver. I bought mine on Ebay and it works fine, but during my unenlightened paperclip period I used a regular jewelers screwdriver for this task. It worked okay until I became more conscious of keeping things unscratched and pristine, as the tapered tip may damage the screw from the imperfect fit or scratch surrounding metal surfaces should it slip out in use.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2014, 05:42 AM   #4
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Bracelet screws are secured with thread locking compund like Loc Tite; use heat (a hair dryer will work fine) to free them up and be sure to use fresh comopund upon reassembly.

(Hint: apply to the threaded hole, not the screw itself.)

It might take a few adjustments until you get it exactly the way you want it so hold off on the compound until you are sure it is right...
Old 3 November 2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Mfrankel2
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43,d-Blue, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Bracelet screws are secured with thread locking compund like Loc Tite; use heat (a hair dryer will work fine) to free them up and be sure to use fresh comopund upon reassembly.

(Hint: apply to the threaded hole, not the screw itself.)

It might take a few adjustments until you get it exactly the way you want it so hold off on the compound until you are sure it is right...
x2 this. Use the purple loctite as it's "less permanent" than the red. Heating the links beforehand also helps get out the screws without using much force (loosens the previously applied loctite).
Mfrankel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 11:42 AM   #6
Sirschwag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I purchased Loctite 222 on Amazon, curious to see if it bonds as well as what was applied at the factory...trying some out on spare links now..
Sirschwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 06:18 PM   #7
Adam from Oz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirschwag View Post
I purchased Loctite 222 on Amazon, curious to see if it bonds as well as what was applied at the factory...trying some out on spare links now..
Please advise on your experimentation!

Also, does anyone have advise on heating the link with a hairdryer before attempting to remove the screws? How hot are we talking here?
Adam from Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2014, 07:45 PM   #8
wristwatches
"TRF" Member

fantastic post, i am happy to see this post , after seeing this great products i have maintain my stylish life with my family & friends, and git more stylish bracelets & watches.
wristwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 04:17 AM   #9
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
With the proper driver (size and cut) and patience - easy.

You want a hollow ground screwdriver at 1.6mm

This one is particularly nice for the $....... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-mm-Jumbo...item27eefbefa5
Chinese-made tools make me nervous; their steels are notorious for inconsistent quality, and a broken or bent screwdriver blade is a great way to gouge a band...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam from Oz View Post

Also, does anyone have advise on heating the link with a hairdryer before attempting to remove the screws? How hot are we talking here?
Just get it hot to the touch and don't worry, a hair dryer will not generate enough heat to damage your band in any way...
Old 11 November 2014, 04:47 AM   #10
Friar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 216570
Quote:

I've used running hot tap water to warm the appropriate links--so probably not terribly hot with a dryer.
Friar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Adam from Oz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmfnla View Post
Just get it hot to the touch and don't worry, a hair dryer will not generate enough heat to damage your band in any way...
I wasn't worried about melting the band, it was my hands I was worried about!!

I've got to move a half link from one side to the other to centre the clasp hinge on my SubC and have never attempted it before.
Old 11 November 2014, 10:02 AM   #12
sdiver68
"TRF" Member

I always apply loctite to the screw not the hole. A very thin layer applied all the way around from the bottom to about 1/3 of the threads. You can use light tack tape to help protect bare metal from scratches.
sdiver68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2014, 10:57 AM   #13
RollieVerde
Banned

Loctite also works great on eyeglass screws, if you have a pair that seems to loosen frequently. It's another good reason to have some on hand.
RollieVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2014, 03:44 AM   #14
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wasn't worried about melting the band, it was my hands I was worried about!!
I've got to move a half link from one side to the other to centre the clasp hinge on my SubC and have never attempted it before.

If it's hot to the touch you are good; no need to cook it (or burn yourself!)...
Old 19 November 2014, 07:19 AM   #15
Sirschwag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:

Update - the Loctite 222 from Amazon worked perfectly., it provided the same resistance from removing the screw that my brand new Explorer links had from the factory! I didn't need to heat the link., just used the right-sized screwdriver and it came off easily... This one is a good deal for the price and real close to OEM..
http://www.panatime.com/scexoemcocue.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
I always apply loctite to the screw not the hole. A very thin layer applied all the way around from the bottom to about 1/3 of the threads. You can use light tack tape to help protect bare metal from scratches.
Note that it should only be applied to the hole, not the screw (if you apply it to the screw it will get inbetween the link and possibly bind up)! I just applied a tiny bit to the end of a toothpick and got a couple tiny drops in the hole is all that's needed...I also cleaned up any excess over the inside hole before attaching and the outside hole once it was screwed in...
Sirschwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2014, 05:50 PM   #16
Adam from Oz
"TRF" Member

I finally adjusted the bracelet on my SubC using the hints and tips here. I taped around the screw heads roughly with some blue masking tape in case the screwdriver popped out but I need not have done this: over cautious with my Rolex isn't a bad thing, is it??!

I held the bracelet over gentle steam from the kettle for about 10 seconds to heat it up a little bit and used a hollow/slotted screwdriver that I got from eBay to ease out the screws, which came out with a little constant force, not too much, just a steady twist.

Swapped my half link over and added a tiny amount of loctite 222 (the purple stuff in a red bottle) to the hole and retightened the screws until they started to grab, and eased off.

My watch sits so much better on my wrist now, so I'm really glad I found this, and other threads (no pun intended), on the forums to enable me to do it myself as it's a 3.5 hour drive to my closest AD.

As others have said, I throughly recommend a hollowed/slotted screwdriver for the job, it fits in the screw head perfectly and didn't jump out at all.

Thanks all.