The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 February 2019, 09:36 PM   #61
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Haven't been inside a Rolex only AD in many months, maybe even a year, been in Omega, Breitling, VC, BP etc.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 09:38 PM   #62
Brew
"TRF" Member

No drama for me at the AD, I don't want any of the hawt Rolexes.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 09:52 PM   #63
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I paid apremium for my Daytona C (<$16K). Basically when I asked the local ADs about hot watches I was discounted and couldn't even get on a list. That being said, I finally decided to divest of my collection and purchase the Daytona 50th. I never thought of asking for hard to get pieces because I'm done collecting as such and really don't want to become a flipper. They did say to give them a chance when it came time to buy another watch!!! (That was the GM; the sales guy said "you heard him," implying they'd be able to get me what I want).

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:17 PM   #64
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

There is only 2 pieces that are overly priced on the grey. BLRO and the Daytonas.
LVc, BLNR etc are minimally (2-3K) over the MSRP in comparison.
Not if, but when there is a price hike of 5%, you have recouped some of your money back. If yiu hold onto that watch fir 2 price hikes it’s even less. If you do decide to sell before 1 or 2 hikes you will get your money back on resale. What’s the issue?
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:31 PM   #65
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I have stop looking at Rolex, I don't pay over list, I don't want debt of gratitude to an AD and I never beg to buy a product.

For me there is a lot of brands out there that is more interesting nowdays IMHO.

The Rolex market is a sad history and sometimes I feel for the guys that paid double retail for a watch so my money go elsewhere.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:35 PM   #66
WJGESQ
Banned

500k?

To qualify for a Daytona?

It's getting real nutty.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:36 PM   #67
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
I have never and doubt I would ever pay a premium.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:44 PM   #68
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXster View Post
At the end of the day ... everyone will pay extras for the BLNR, BLRO, HULK, 500C etc.

98% of people that bought the hard to get pieces are whales.
They have bought multiple high end watches and jewelry at MSRP to get a 500C.
So, technically, they did pay extras.

Most people that don't need a Day/Date at MSRP to get on a phantom list.
Will consider paying extra to get a watch they want.

You will pay extras one way or another.

The 2% that bought high demanded pieces without any previous purchases :
1) knows someone
2) super lucky
3) lying

I paid extras for my Daytona cuz there are too many high rollers in my area.
Let me just say:

1 I don’t know 'anybody'
2 I don’t consider myself super lucky
3 I have no reason to be untruthful
4 I don’t suck up to anybody

In the last 20 months I have purchased 3 Rolex from my local AD.:
A SubLVc (just as they were becoming difficult to obtain)
An easy to obtain lady Datejust – with diamond bezel (with an appreciated discount)
DaytonaC

20 months ago the AD had no previous dealings with me. They have proved to be honest and have always been friendly.

I believe there are plenty of dodgy ADs that are using questionable sales methods to maximise profits - I am fortunate that my AD is not one of them.
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 10:56 PM   #69
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I agree, this has gotten absolutely ridiculous! Six months after I bought my BLNR from them, I was in contact with my AD at Christmas 2017 asking him to put me on the list just in case a new Pepsi happened to show up at Basel in 2018. I had wanted a Pepsi for the past forty years and the new ceramic BLRO with the jubilee was perfect! He agreed and said as soon as he got the first one he would let me know. When June deliveries started, I remained patient throughout the summer expecting mine at any time. We kept in contact and I even popped into the AD a couple times to let him know I was still very much interested. I even offered to pay for it in full, but he declined. Come Christmas, I walked in and was approached by another salesman. We started chatting and I mentioned I was there to check on the Pepsi. He said they had already gotten two in and they were very hard to come by. Needless to say, I felt betrayed but have come to realize this is (now) the nature of the Rolex beast. With that said, I refuse to pay $15K for a $9K watch so I'm still just sitting on my BLNR. The whole disappointment and drama has me so mad that I honestly feel like I would be better off just selling the BLNR and moving back to a simpler watch line without all the B.S! Honestly, all the flippers and greys buying up the Pepsi just to make a quick buck absolutely disgusts me because I've wanted one for forty years and can't get one because of their greed! Sorry, for the rant but I've been bottling this up for a while and had to get it off my chest!
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:03 PM   #70
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Nope nope nope. Bought both of mine at MSRP and will enjoy them until I get my next at msrp. If I have to go 5 years without acquiring one at msrp than so be it. It’s just a hobby and I appreciate what I have acquired already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:13 PM   #71
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I think that the market is what it is. If you stay in the game long enough and watch the price fluctuations you will see it both up and down. I think that at some point the air will be let out of the bubble or it will burst. Then we will be discussing how some people paid crazy prices for a few watches and now they will lose a lot of money when they sell or trade. Ok, so many of us are passionate about the hobby and take so much of the current situation personally. Business is business. No more or no less. Certain AD's are taking advantage just like they always will, no matter what the business. Other are playing it straight. For me it comes down to do I want a watch and can I access it though what channels and for what price. I purchased my SD43 for over retail and I love the watch. It was worth it for me. I do not want a SS Daytona or SS BLRO so I am not put to the test to see if I would pay the premium but I doubt it. I enjoy reading these threads and seeing the comments of new members, which a lot of times are very strong. Nothing wrong with that but I hope they will hang around long enough to see the Rolex collecting when the bubble bursts and we can get the watches we want at close to the prices we want.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:52 PM   #72
Watchdaytona
"TRF" Member

Crazy that one has to buy a PM Daytona to get a LV Hulk, when you can buy a hulk at a grey for $13k. I can't see the appeal of a green watch but they obviously appeal to some people.
If I wanted a hulk it's a small premium to pay to get what you want at grey and not bother with all the hassle at an AD.
I was fortunate to buy a white Daytona 116500 walking in to an AD, had a friend buy a watch at the same time, so it was kind of a bundle I suppose.
Watchdaytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 11:57 PM   #73
tng11
"TRF" Member

Not for me. There's no drama with my current AD. I've just simply bought pieces that I've wanted at fair prices and the hot pieces have been coming my way. I'm already far ahead of buying from a TS even though I've only dealt with them for a few months. No bundling nonsense or games. And above all, I actually enjoy stepping in there all the time and just chatting up a storm with them. No overt ass kissing needed, we just genuinely enjoy chatting with each other.

Now with the wrong AD I can see why one would go the TS route.

The problem is that it seems people want to have it both ways. In the past, people were ridiculed for going with the AD when TS were offering Subs for 10% below retail. But now that the tables have turned, those who were loyal to begin with are having a much easier time without having to overpay.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:29 AM   #74
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
I do not like premiums because I do not think watches are investments, a premium is the future price of a watch purchased today, but if you are not buying as an investment it feels like a rip off

It is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:24 AM   #75
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
I went to an AD and was practically laughed at for asking if they had a Sub. Was told the wait list was over a year long.

But if I purchased a Milgauss it may go faster. So I did, and then I flipped it, and went gray for my GMT.

Bobs was a dream to work with, and I got a good price for a full kit, less than what I paid for my Milgauss.

Had my new watch on my wrist in almost 24 hours.
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:30 AM   #76
quakeroatmeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Watch
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
I agree, this has gotten absolutely ridiculous! Six months after I bought my BLNR from them, I was in contact with my AD at Christmas 2017 asking him to put me on the list just in case a new Pepsi happened to show up at Basel in 2018. I had wanted a Pepsi for the past forty years and the new ceramic BLRO with the jubilee was perfect! He agreed and said as soon as he got the first one he would let me know. When June deliveries started, I remained patient throughout the summer expecting mine at any time. We kept in contact and I even popped into the AD a couple times to let him know I was still very much interested. I even offered to pay for it in full, but he declined. Come Christmas, I walked in and was approached by another salesman. We started chatting and I mentioned I was there to check on the Pepsi. He said they had already gotten two in and they were very hard to come by. Needless to say, I felt betrayed but have come to realize this is (now) the nature of the Rolex beast. With that said, I refuse to pay $15K for a $9K watch so I'm still just sitting on my BLNR. The whole disappointment and drama has me so mad that I honestly feel like I would be better off just selling the BLNR and moving back to a simpler watch line without all the B.S! Honestly, all the flippers and greys buying up the Pepsi just to make a quick buck absolutely disgusts me because I've wanted one for forty years and can't get one because of their greed! Sorry, for the rant but I've been bottling this up for a while and had to get it off my chest!
A part of me is super jealous, and a part of me wants to tell you to be happy with your batman!

But thats the jealousy speaking xD
quakeroatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 12:29 PM   #77
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
I’m a long time client of NY AD. I have never bought anything I didn’t want. And nope I don’t have a day date or PM or any silly over priced jewelry.

My last 6 watch purchases included 4 Rolex watches all at MSRP all received less than a year.

I don’t kiss ass. No games

My last 6:

Tudor black bay - immediate
BLNR - 1 week
Daytona SS white - 7 months
Daytona SS black - 4 months
Panerai PAM911 - 1 month
BLRO - 9 months

The 2% that bought high demanded pieces without any previous purchases :
1) knows someone
2) super lucky
3) lying

Yes, you fall in the 2%
1) knows someone
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 12:43 PM   #78
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Supply vs demand at work here and Rolex is very good at this.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote