The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 February 2019, 09:29 AM   #61
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

The Daytona is hard to get in stainless steel which drives a large part of the desire. It's also not a very large chrono whereas most of its primary competitors are 42-43mm in size. It's the only chrono Rolex makes. It's dial and hands are unique among the sport models. All these things drive the demand.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 09:36 AM   #62
bestkepttime
"TRF" Member

Daytona is a forever watch for me got mine at 17 and still have it..
bestkepttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:30 AM   #63
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestkepttime View Post
Daytona is a forever watch for me got mine at 17 and still have it..
And you are now 18?

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:34 AM   #64
GSBC
"TRF" Member

As an owner of the 116500LN in white dial, I can attest that it does absolutely live up to the hype. Along with my DD40, these are my two keepers. All else are dispensable.
GSBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 10:39 AM   #65
jeffnnj
"TRF" Member

I kept mine for about a year before unloading it. Was just a bit too small for my wrist and I missed having the date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jeffnnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:22 AM   #66
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
I’m not one to follow hype or future value when deciding on a watch. It’s up to the individual to decide whether the Watch lives up to the hype...if you think in those terms.
I just personally love this watch....the overall look, the size, the pushers, and the way it makes me happy when I look at it on my wrist. I wish it had a date, it’s the one complication I use most in a watch (other than the time) but I couldn’t imagine it with a date...if that makes sense. I hope Rolex never sticks a date anywhere on that dial. I like the PM, SS, the TT, 4, 5, and 6 digital models. It’ll always be one of my favorites!
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:11 PM   #67
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I like having date on my watches. That said, Daytona has never appealed to me because it does not have a date.

I do appreciate its beauty. It's a well-balanced beautiful watch with a nice history.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:14 PM   #68
oncogene1
"TRF" Member

I agree that it has near perfect proportions and it absolutely the most comfortable watch I own. I have a small 6.25 in wrist and it’s the best fit in a modern sports watch I have found! I love the fit so much I am thinking about selling my YG Day date 40 and buying PM Daytona to replace it. I know it gets s bad rap for legibility but I honestly have not had any problems with it in that department!
oncogene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:29 PM   #69
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

I love mine even though I can’t barely read the time. It’s mainly a wrist jewelry.
lamnyc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:45 PM   #70
subprimero
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060
I collect chronographs, so it was a must have for me.
subprimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 01:07 PM   #71
jjmack
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD black
I too need a date so I can date a number of things I do daily, so a date is basically a necessarily for me. However, that WG oysterflex Daytona is making me question myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
I like having date on my watches. That said, Daytona has never appealed to me because it does not have a date.

I do appreciate its beauty. It's a well-balanced beautiful watch with a nice history.

jjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 01:50 PM   #72
carlhaluss
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer 1
Sometimes it's just the "X Factor" that says why we like, dislike or are simply not interested in a brand/model of watch. I could never get interested in the Daytona, even the model which had the Zenith El Primero movement, and I love Zenith and have three El Primero models. I like the Zenith Chronomaster Original 38mm model a lot more. Although, I admit I could do without the date.

The first thing I have to like about a watch - as with most of us - is the aesthetics. And the Daytona never really caught on for me. I really don't know why, nor do I take the time to analyse my feelings. I can gaze at the photos, but no real "wow" factor ever pops up.

I also believe a lot of the time how we perceive a watch is dictated by how others perceive it, or like it. A couple weeks ago, I was talking to an acquaintance of mine at a coffee shop that has no big screen, or any other televisions. They do not show sports. Anyway, I expressed surprise that he wasn't watching the football. He reply was "I got tired of it, and realized that the only reason I used to watch or go to the games, is because most of my friends did." Turns out, he was never that interested in the sport. It made me think, I wonder how many others would be that honest. I'm a Canadian, and I am not the least bit interested in Hockey, or any other competitive sport.

And, I'm a WIS, but not really interested in the Rolex Daytona. I wonder how many actually are, or if they just got caught up in the hype?

Not meaning to offend anyone or diss the model. Just putting my thoughts out there. I will say, however, that I am very sorry that those who really would be interested in a Daytona for the long term are finding it so difficult to obtain.

Cheers,
Carl
Old 15 February 2019, 02:20 PM   #73
jbsmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas
I was a victim of hype a few years ago with a white dial 116520. Flipped it only after a few months as it was too small and not enough contrast. I like the look of the ceramic bezels more, but still may appear too small for my liking. I would only buy at msrp with the thought I could always flip for profit. It's sad I even think that, but it's the truth. To each their own, but I bought for the wrong reason....hype.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
jbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 11:09 AM   #74
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Call it hype if you will. It was the hype that kept me from buying one earlier in my collecting career. It was hype that caused the search for one to become an obsession. It was hype that caused me to get a black dialed 116500 at over MSRP (the only watch I've done that on). Finally it was hype that caused me to trade most of my collection in on the Platinum version. Now it's hype that causes me to wear the heavy weight Rolex champion on my wrist 24/7 to the near exclusion of all other watches.

I do use the chrono movement frequently. I love the way it fits my 6.5in wrist. It is one of the few remaining Rolex watches that has the traditional Rolex shape and hasn't turned into an exaggeration of itself. For those of us with smaller wrists it's great to have a popular, modern, Rolex watch that I can still wear (that and the SD4K are the only 40mm Rolex watches I feel look right on me).

Could there be improvements? Potentially. I'd like to not have to use the screw downs on the pushers when I swim laps as I am always overtightening them and fighting to get them loose. It could have a date. The black face could be more legible in darkened lighting. Regardless, for me the Daytona is "THE" Rolex watch!!!

Nice
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 11:44 AM   #75
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

All the analysis aside, you have to experience it to truly appreciate it. I also love having the date etc blah blah. None of that the matters when you strap this on your wrist

Old 17 February 2019, 01:06 PM   #76
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
It’s not
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:25 PM   #77
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Here's my take. The meat of the "sports" line up are the subs/GMT's/Exp/Exp2, IMO. Not to mention what solid performers the DJ and DD are.

And then there's the Daytona. Brings a little something different to the table. I mean, after all, how many subs and GMT's can a man have.

Seriously though, I believe it's the only model offered in steel, all three golds, oyster flex, TT, and Platinum. That should tell you something.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:31 PM   #78
801rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
classic beast
801rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:15 PM   #79
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Daytona is all hype.
Sure it’s a chuckable reliable watch, but so are all the other Rolexs.
Prior to the Zenith movement of 1988, Daytonas couldn’t be given away. Zenith struggled to give Rolex enough movements, hence the slow release and instant I want what I can’t have culture propping up demand.
Come 2000, Rolex brought in their in-house movement, but realised that they could perpetuate this Daytona demand by limiting the supply.
That’s where we are today. On the back of this demand previous Iterations of Daytona get bushed up in price. The unsaleable wacky Art Deco subs of yester year rocketed as they’re were scarce in the first place.
I think Rolex really back peddled with the mark 3 dial of the 116520 in 2003 when they surplanted the 27 & 33 markers of the minutes sub dial. Tool watch history - really? A chronograph with missing markers???
Mark 4 dial saw the reintroduction of the missing markers but only until the mark 6 dial.
Not only does the Daytona have 6 markers missing from the minutes dial, but it’s hard to read. My 500 black dial is incredibly hard to read, time or chronograph; but the dial is gorgeous. Sometimes it takes quite a while to tell the time - but that’s time we’ll spent.
Thus the Daytona can not be classed as a tool watch or even an effective chronograph.
But, like everybody else, I have a Daytona, 5 actually.
I would love Rolex to permanently reintroduce the missing markers and also throw in flyback function.
So, that’s why the Daytona. Zenith created the demand, Rolex perpetuated it.
The nobleman is dead, long live the nobleman. (Reference to the coronet)
Regards
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:28 PM   #80
Casey VP-26
"TRF" Member

Well as for myself, I believe we are all kids at heart and love to have things to play with (regardless of our age) When I wear mine I find myself timing everything. Joy in pushing them buttons anytime you want . Why a Daytona? Hey I'm a Rolex guy. OMHO
Casey VP-26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 09:33 PM   #81
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
I’ve now come to realise it’s the best watch that Rolex make.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:02 PM   #82
shoppy
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP and daytona
I have owned a daytona now for almost 14Years now. It’s a simple lovely watch that just ticks all the boxes. It’s comforyable, stylish and a robust watch. Mine have deployed with me on operational deployments and exercises worldwide. I now have the latest ceramic version. I would love a platinum version and will most likely get one when I retire in 6 years.
PP, JLC, VC, Swatch ,Casio, Timex.
shoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:18 PM   #83
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Spot on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorologyK View Post
Nice
Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamP View Post
Daytona is all hype.
Sure it’s a chuckable reliable watch, but so are all the other Rolexs.
Prior to the Zenith movement of 1988, Daytonas couldn’t be given away. Zenith struggled to give Rolex enough movements, hence the slow release and instant I want what I can’t have culture propping up demand.
Come 2000, Rolex brought in their in-house movement, but realised that they could perpetuate this Daytona demand by limiting the supply.
That’s where we are today. On the back of this demand previous Iterations of Daytona get bushed up in price. The unsaleable wacky Art Deco subs of yester year rocketed as they’re were scarce in the first place.
I think Rolex really back peddled with the mark 3 dial of the 116520 in 2003 when they surplanted the 27 & 33 markers of the minutes sub dial. Tool watch history - really? A chronograph with missing markers???
Mark 4 dial saw the reintroduction of the missing markers but only until the mark 6 dial.
Not only does the Daytona have 6 markers missing from the minutes dial, but it’s hard to read. My 500 black dial is incredibly hard to read, time or chronograph; but the dial is gorgeous. Sometimes it takes quite a while to tell the time - but that’s time we’ll spent.
Thus the Daytona can not be classed as a tool watch or even an effective chronograph.
But, like everybody else, I have a Daytona, 5 actually.
I would love Rolex to permanently reintroduce the missing markers and also throw in flyback function.
So, that’s why the Daytona. Zenith created the demand, Rolex perpetuated it.
The nobleman is dead, long live the nobleman. (Reference to the coronet)
Regards

Geeze, missing ticks kind of like missing paragraphs and misspelled words make posts incredibly difficult to read through. I use mine as a timer all the time and have never had an issue. I can understand the principle but so far it's not an issue. What really bothers me more is the second subdial having only 5 second intervals. I don't have an issue reading mine either, fwiw.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:32 AM   #84
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Sold my Daytonas with no regrets (especially the SS due to horrible legibility, the WG was much nicer to read and wear).
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:32 AM   #85
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS View Post
Why is the Daytona the most sort after Rolex?

Does it live up the hype once it is finally owned or is it a letdown?

Love hearing people's opinions...
Probably cause the SS DayC is cheaper than a DD40
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:35 AM   #86
Charlie3755
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16520:18239:16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
IMHO ever since the Daytona was launched way back in 2000 it was hard to get at retail.So perhaps the thought of wearing a watch thats hard to get, plus the internet hype that has generated the must have watch.Speaking for myself not a fan of the modern Daytona all forms,yes its a great movement but to me thats all,but not sort after by myself.

Launched way back in 2000??

Charlie3755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:06 AM   #87
Wedders
"TRF" Member

Don’t like the Daytona, don’t want a Daytona, sick of hearing about Daytona.
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:28 AM   #88
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Daytona’s are the best, get a patrizzi and a cream 520 and you will be a happy camper
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:46 AM   #89
FloridaRolexGuy23
Banned

Been wearing a 116500 white dial pretty much every day since summer 17 and I really can’t explain the love I have for it. I got gmts, subs, and dress watches but the day I got that Daytona it was like we clicked n had a bond like Jake and his flying dragon in the movie Avatar.
FloridaRolexGuy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:59 AM   #90
tourspecgolfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP 15400 OR
I have the Daytona C in white, I like its size and balance on my 6.5" wrist but I prefer my black sub to it.

My ideal would be a black sub with the same weight, size, and dimensions of the Daytona.

I also wish they made a sky dweller in the Daytona's size and dimensions.
tourspecgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote