The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2019, 12:52 PM   #31
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Rolex brand perception (force) is strong among the general public.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:03 PM   #32
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
Diving and Aviation , Rolex takes the crown , Antimagnetic don't know haven't paid attention to those models since I have no interest in them.
epc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:16 PM   #33
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post
For actual functional performance there is zero difference and they ALL perform miserably compared to a gshock or citizen ecodrive ( possible exception is a spring drive grand seiko). Rolex holds value a bit better, that is all.
Soooooo . . . WHAT DO YOUR COMMENTS HAVE TO DO WITH MECHANICAL WATCHES?
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:27 PM   #34
jason10mm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
Soooooo . . . WHAT DO YOUR COMMENTS HAVE TO DO WITH MECHANICAL WATCHES?
Simple. Asking which mechanical watch is better is kinda like asking if titanium horseshoes perform better than carbon fiber horseshoes. The entire conversation has been technologically superseded and better much all mechanical watches perform within a reasonable margin of each other, and they are all left in the dust by quartz by any rational measure of performance.

Dont get me wrong, I love my mech watches and I have Rolex and omega. But as a wrist borne timing device they are all beaten by quartz that is powered by light and never needs to be set and has a dozen extra functions.

So this question is really missing the forest for the trees in my opinion.
jason10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:31 PM   #35
mangoseed
Banned

-Diving use- How does the Sub line stack up against those from Omega or the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms? ; Submariner, much more durable movement

-Aviation- Rolex GMT vs the Breitling Navitimer ; Totally different watches, one is a GMT and the other is a chronograph with a slide rule

-Use in heavy magnetic scenarios- Rolex Milgauss vs Omega Aqua Terra ; insufficient knowledge to comment
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 01:37 PM   #36
G8RDPM
2024 Pledge Member

Beauty is in the eye of the....
Rolex retains great resale value.
G8RDPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:01 PM   #37
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoseed View Post
-Diving use- How does the Sub line stack up against those from Omega or the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms? ; Submariner, much more durable movement

-Aviation- Rolex GMT vs the Breitling Navitimer ; Totally different watches, one is a GMT and the other is a chronograph with a slide rule

-Use in heavy magnetic scenarios- Rolex Milgauss vs Omega Aqua Terra ; insufficient knowledge to comment
What proof do you have that the Rolex movement is more durable than the Blancpain 1315 movement?
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:06 PM   #38
mangoseed
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
What proof do you have that the Rolex movement is more durable than the Blancpain 1315 movement?
What proof do you have that putting a dress watch movement in a diver warrants an explanation?
mangoseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:09 PM   #39
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

The Sub and Planet Ocean are comparable in terms of features, function, and accuracy.

The Sub ABSOLUTELY TROUNCES the Planet Ocean in comfort.
No SUBctitute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:14 PM   #40
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrcigar View Post
You think 15 thousand gauss is “close”?

No. The Omega is the clear, clear winner in the specific area (anti-magnetism). It is this area that makes the Omega close overall.

But overall the Sub wins.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:39 PM   #41
d0wnShifT
"TRF" Member

I'm in the aviation world and would love getting a Navitimer next however the resale values are less than a Rolex. I'll be looking for a GMT Master for my next purchase.
d0wnShifT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 02:56 PM   #42
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
What proof do you have that putting a dress watch movement in a diver warrants an explanation?
What idiots they are.....perhaps you should volunteer your wisdom and insights on what a dive watch should be....

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/decon-blancpain
Old 17 February 2019, 02:57 PM   #43
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown5.0 View Post
In the different manifestations of its offerings? For example-

-Diving use- How does the Sub line stack up against those from Omega or the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms?

-Aviation- Rolex GMT vs the Breitling Navitimer

-Use in heavy magnetic scenarios- Rolex Milgauss vs Omega Aqua Terra

I love the history of mechanical watches in general, and it would be interesting to see how Rolexes fare across a multitude of different scenarios. I am not just talking about the aesthetics, but the actual functionality of the watches.

SD4K>>> Omega or Blancpain

GMTII >>>>Navi

Milli >>>> OAT

Can't separate out aesthetics. Just buy a wrist computer if you don't care about aesthetics.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 08:39 PM   #44
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
What idiots they are.....perhaps you should volunteer your wisdom and insights on what a dive watch should be....

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/decon-blancpain
Thanks for sharing, the BP after all is the original diver, nicely copied by Rolex
Old 17 February 2019, 09:20 PM   #45
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
In the different manifestations of its offerings? For example-

-Diving use- How does the Sub line stack up against those from Omega or the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms?

-Aviation- Rolex GMT vs the Breitling Navitimer

-Use in heavy magnetic scenarios- Rolex Milgauss vs Omega Aqua Terra

I love the history of mechanical watches in general, and it would be interesting to see how Rolexes fare across a multitude of different scenarios. I am not just talking about the aesthetics, but the actual functionality of the watches.
Well they all function mostly the same as for dive watches most bought today are mainly desk divers. As for GMT watches basically all the same they all tell the time and have a GMT time zone function.As for the heavy magnetic scenarios its very doubtful today if anyone would be, or work, in a environment that would need strong magnetic protection.Today its mainly bragging writes marketing, mine is bigger than yours and today many buy into marketing hype.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:21 PM   #46
Exploradori
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270, 1803
Here's how frustration with Rolex stack next to other brands given their ridiculous shortage and way of treating their potential customers:

Rolex >> all other brands.

Ridiculous.
Exploradori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 10:28 PM   #47
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Huh? The FF movement is not a dress watch movement. It’s 5.65mm thick. Also. It’s arbitrary to say “dress watch” movements are not tough. Who defines such things?
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2019, 11:07 PM   #48
zengineer
"TRF" Member

This thread is clearly the winner in one category I can think of.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:16 AM   #49
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
In the different manifestations of its offerings? For example-.....

-Aviation- Rolex GMT vs the Breitling Navitimer....

....... I am not just talking about the aesthetics, but the actual functionality of the watches.
The GMT Master is by my favorite Rolex and probably favorite watch overall.

However, as to the question of pure aviation functionality the Navtimer with it's chrono and slide rule/whiz wheel takes it. The Rolex displays 2 or 3 time zones, which is great, but that's very little compared to the Navitimer designed for making time/fuel/distance/rate calculations and conversions.

For performing aviation-related functions, Navtimer takes this one, easily. One has to get into digital-age watches designed for aviation (such as the Garmin D2B) that incorporate GPS, altimeters, wireless, etc etc to find ones with more all-around usefulness. Even so, a whiz wheel is bulletproof as it never dies or fails.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:23 AM   #50
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
This thread is clearly the winner in one category I can think of.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:52 AM   #51
avalvo
"TRF" Member

Hmmm... For Dive, I think the Pelagos is an awesome choice. Lume is the best I have ever seen. Bremont's S2000 is also a great Diver. I love MY SMP 300 for desk diving, but it's not a practical Diver. Other choices would be the Sea Dweller or Deepsea.

Aviation... A Sinn 903, better implementation of the slide rule than the Navitimer and water resistent because of it. Though I don't see these slide rules as practical for most pilots and hard to use for those with aging eyes. Otherwise, a Sinn 358 Diapal makes a dam nice chrono with a gmt function.

What Rolex brings to the table is wonderful execution. The movement is top notch along with other nice implementations, but they are not practical tool watches. I say this owning every watch mentioned here and as a Diver and Pilot.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk
avalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 04:48 AM   #52
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm View Post
Simple. Asking which mechanical watch is better is kinda like asking if titanium horseshoes perform better than carbon fiber horseshoes. The entire conversation has been technologically superseded and better much all mechanical watches perform within a reasonable margin of each other, and they are all left in the dust by quartz by any rational measure of performance.

Dont get me wrong, I love my mech watches and I have Rolex and omega. But as a wrist borne timing device they are all beaten by quartz that is powered by light and never needs to be set and has a dozen extra functions.

So this question is really missing the forest for the trees in my opinion.
i’ve found that a well regulated rolex outperforms some of my analog quartz watches. a high end breitling type cosc thermocompensated quartz is a different conversation but I’m not 100% any citizen will keep better time than any rolex.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 04:50 AM   #53
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
I realize I would get some bias on a Rolex forum, but I guess the reality is most are pretty capable. It's just a question of how well the company crafts their narrative.
why didnt you just ask that question?
Old 18 February 2019, 04:52 AM   #54
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_Omega View Post
Ok, I'll try to actually answer your question without just screaming Rolex.

Diving Use-Rolex is king. There is an excellent article online where a diver compares various different popular divers and he states that the Submariner is the best. The "Bond" 300m Seamaster is a joke of a professional diver. The rotating bezel is hard to grip and use which is a big no no when you are wearing diving gloves and need to actually use the thing. Not to mention a manual helium escape valve for a watch with 300m of water resistance...

Aviation- Would you rather have a GMT or a slide rule calculator on your wrist? I'll take the GMT hand. Rolex wins again.

Magnetic Resistance- This where Rolex loses. Milgauss is using very outdated technology and Omega has surpassed Rolex in anti-magnetism. Strong rumors of a 2019 Milgauss which will probably come with a new top of the line anti-magnetic movement.
nice post — enjoyed reading it.
Old 18 February 2019, 09:47 AM   #55
jagwap
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC IW389001
Anti-Magnetism is actually a practical feature. I work in engineering, and there are some large magnets about. It affects my watches.

I have had to de-magnetise my Tudor Heritage Chono multiple times. So many time that I built my own de-magnetising rig.

I am looking for an Omega I like which also has their proprietary 15000 gauss protection. I have't found one to my tastes yet.
jagwap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:40 AM   #56
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Probably, but there may have been some interesting paths different companies took in pursuit of being "superior" in a specific application and I figure there are many on this board with that historical and technical knowledge which they could share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
why didnt you just ask that question?
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:53 AM   #57
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
So let me put it this way... Rolex is the only watch when I was once in South Africa on business and was wearing my Pepsi GMT outside of Capetown ...that a true Bushman actually called out my watch as a Rolex. I can guarantee no other watch gets that recognition!
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:11 AM   #58
tymonster
"TRF" Member

So considering aesthetics are 100% subjective, comfort depends on your wrist size, strap vs bracelet, etc. and will vary from person to person, I'll focus solely on the function of the watch. Assuming only mechanical watches here's my take (I will start off by saying that my Tudor Pelagos LHD is by far and away a better tool watch than it's Rolex counterpart and comes in at 1/2 the MSRP and 1/3 of the price in the current market):

Dive watches:
Longevity/Lack of Depreciation: Any Rolex Diver
Depth rating = Rolex Deep Sea
Accuracy = Grand Seiko Spring Drive Diver
Pure Heritage = Blancpain 50 Fathoms
Value for the money: Pretty much any Seiko Diver, Sinn U1, Aquadive, Doxa
Value/Build Quality: Tudor Pelagos
Power reserve: Panerai Luminor 8 Days (192 hours blows everything else away)
Lume = so many... but Rolex would definitely not win here
Availability: Any brand BUT Rolex
Complete Package: Depth + Accuracy + Lume + Antimagnetism = Omega Planet Ocean 600m Co-axial

Aviation watches:
Longevity/Lack of Depreciation: Rolex GMT
Accuracy: Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT
Pure Heritage: Breitling Navitimer
Value for the money: Hamilton Khaki Aviation
Value/Build Quality: Tudor GMT
Power Reserve: IWC Big Pilot Top Gun: 168 hours
Availability: Any brand BUT Rolex
Complete Package: Omega Planet Ocean GMT has all your bases covered

Antimagnetic:
Longevity/Lack of Depreciation: Rolex Milgauss
Value for the money: Sinn EZM3
Value/Build quality: Omega AT
Accuracy: Omega AT
Pure heritage: Tissot made the first antimagnetic watch in the 1920's but most people think of Rolex Milgauss, JLC Geophysic, IWC Ingenieur
Power reserve: Panerai Submersible Amagnetic: 72 hours

Bottom line is nothing out there is close to Omega's movements with 15,000+ gauss. That's ~1,200,000 A/m... other offerings are coming in at 40,000-80,000 A/m.

Rolex makes great watches. They always have and they always will. They hold their value more than most any other brand out there save for a few (Patek, AP). But there are also so many other brands out there with amazing build quality, reliability, history, and value that are readily available TODAY. Anyone looking to purchase a watch for themselves, and by that I mean what they really want and not what they think other people think they should want, is doing themselves a disservice if they don't do their research and shop around. I love my Sub. It's my favorite watch. But it is by no means my "best" watch.
tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:22 AM   #59
tymonster
"TRF" Member

double post
tymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 03:48 AM   #60
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Rolex is ultimate
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote