The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 5 February 2019, 12:57 PM   #1
phdezra
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Icon15 Why is Omega Seamaster *SO* much more expensive than Seiko Presage?

Hi all.

I was set to get a Seiko Presage (approx $500) though I've grown to really like an Omega Seamster Aqua Terra I am looking at (though my swap out the band). In any case, why is the Omega Seamaster approx $3000 vs Seiko Presage $500? Brand?

Are the # of jewels *that* different? I know that Seiko uses a hardlux crystal vs Omega's sapphire, I believe,.... but what are the real cost difference creating a 6x higher price for the Omega model here?

Thank you.
phdezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:10 PM   #2
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by phdezra View Post
Hi all.

I was set to get a Seiko Presage (approx $500) though I've grown to really like an Omega Seamster Aqua Terra I am looking at (though my swap out the band). In any case, why is the Omega Seamaster approx $3000 vs Seiko Presage $500? Brand?

Are the # of jewels *that* different? I know that Seiko uses a hardlux crystal vs Omega's sapphire, I believe,.... but what are the real cost difference creating a 6x higher price for the Omega model here?

Thank you.

Im no Omega Expert, but their inhouse movements are very accurate and many models hold up well to magnetic fields. Also the seamaster is also using ceramic bezels and can take a pounding. I used to own a seamaster and it was a daily beater (lawn care, mountain biking, etc) for years and held up well. There is also the prestige factor. I mean to some degree, a Hamilton with an ETA movement or gshock will hold up well and keep accurate time same a a rolex. I think with all high end watches there are diminishing returns so to speak once one spends about 10000 for a watch. After this, you are just paying for increasing degree of hand finishing, status, and perhaps the idea that the watch you bought was made in small quantities.

Really one of the reasons I have never ventured into the AP market. Cant justify the price for a watch that is supposed to be a "sport watch" but cant actually play sports with them on the wrist.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:15 PM   #3
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Such a seemingly simple, innocent question...

I won't pretend to know the answer, and you're probably right that some of it has to do with the name, but I suppose it's also related to the quality and cost of the materials and components, and to the degree each watch is assembled and finished by hand.

For example, one might argue that the Omega's dual mainspring components and coaxial escapement made from high-tech anti-magnetic materials are probably more valuable than the Seiko's components. It's also likely there are more steps in the assembly and finishing of the Omega that are done by hand.

Why is a Patek Philippe Nautilus exponentially more expensive than an Omega Aqua Terra? Both are self-winding steel watches with three hands and and date display :-)
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Soarer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner LV
This is like asking why the Lexus SUV is more expensive than the Toyota RAV4.
Old 5 February 2019, 02:40 PM   #5
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Hi all.

I was set to get a Tag Heuer Aqua Racer Calibre 5 (approx $2300) though I've grown to really like an Rolex Yachtmaster 116622 I am looking at (though my swap out the band). In any case, why is the Aqua Racer approx $11500 vs Tag Heuer Aqua Racer $2300?

Brand?

Are the # of jewels *that* different? I know that Tag Heuer uses a Fine-brushed and polished steel bezel vs Rolex's platinum, I believe,.... but what are the real cost difference creating a 6x higher price for the Rolex model here?

Thank you.

Paul_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 02:51 PM   #6
phdezra

@ Paul_I. Thank you for underscoring it's all about the brand, not the watch build that creates a 6x distortion. Appreciate your post.
Old 5 February 2019, 03:18 PM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
... it's all about the brand, not the watch build...
It's not all or none of either; it's some of both.

Put a Rolex Oyster bracelet and glidelock clasp next to those components from less expensive brands. The tolerances, fit, finish, and quality of materials and construction are noticeably better in the Rolex components, and these are just the bracelet and clasp.

Rolex watches leave the manufacture running within +/- 2 seconds per day, but they don't run that way the moment they're assembled. A very highly skilled Rolex watchmaker (whom Rolex trained for two years at its own expense in its own watchmaking school) spends time (hours? days?) adjusting the movement to make it run like that. Then the watchmaker makes sure the cased movement runs with that level of precision after the watch is fully assembled!

Rolex makes its watches and bracelets from 904L-grade steel, and the hands and indices on the dial are solid 18k white gold. These are costlier, higher quality materials than other makers use.

These things have value and come at a cost. The benefit is a watch that's more precise, reliable, and durable. Over time, these traits pay the owner back. These are examples of tangible reasons why some watches cost more.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2019, 11:27 PM   #8
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
@ Paul_I. Thank you for underscoring it's all about the brand, not the watch build that creates a 6x distortion. Appreciate your post.
That wasn’t my point at all, but it went over your head. Similar to the differences between Omega and Seiko. If YOU don’t notice the difference, does it matter?

Old 10 February 2019, 08:47 AM   #9
Albe100
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
That wasn’t my point at all, but it went over your head. Similar to the differences between Omega and Seiko. If YOU don’t notice the difference, does it matter?

I’m assuming, but is the OP’s question that bad. We are all new to this game at one point or another. How are we suppose to learn if we don’t ask the question?

He may not notice the difference now, but by asking the question will and come to appreciate them and in turn understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Albe100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 10:23 AM   #10
phdezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albe100 View Post
I’m assuming, but is the OP’s question that bad. We are all new to this game at one point or another. How are we suppose to learn if we don’t ask the question?

He may not notice the difference now, but by asking the question will and come to appreciate them and in turn understand.

Actually, I understood the biting wit and sarcasm of the reply from the other poster. I chose to take the high road. Thanks, all.
Old 10 February 2019, 10:33 AM   #11
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

He already bought the Omega as per the other thread. This question could be posed for any two watches, that’s what prompted the response.

Old 10 February 2019, 10:37 AM   #12
Air Rescue 5
Banned

Watch: GMT MII
Do you notice a difference between your 116233 and your miscellaneous Seiko watches? If not, buy the presage.
Air Rescue 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 10:46 AM   #13
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albe100 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do get your point, but the differences between watches are easily discovered in a google search: materials, movements, history, prestige. A seiko is not an omega and one can find that information from google faster than asking this forum. If at the end of the day those differences don’t justify the cost increase to the buyer - do what many do and buy the seiko.

Old 10 February 2019, 12:05 PM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have some of the best and most expensive watches in the world, but I really enjoy my inexpensive Seiko divers.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 February 2019, 01:39 PM   #15
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I am not sure how you can even compare them. They are of different class and quality all together hence the big gap in price point.

That said, Seiko Presage are lovely watches regardless of price.
Old 11 February 2019, 05:18 AM   #16
Cabaiguan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTII
Why is a MB more expensive than a Honda? I’d argue that they are both equally suited to reliably getting you from A to B. Innovation, history, brand positioning, etc. All of these factor into perceived “value” in any asset/object.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 February 2019, 10:53 AM   #17
TemerityB
"TRF" Member

Others have noted it, but a lot of it is in the quality of the materials. I mean, yeah, in this case, it's two completely different realms.

It's very cool to be on a forum with such reasoned and rational discussions of topics both big and small. Quite refreshing.
TemerityB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:32 AM   #18
WJGESQ
Banned

Guys-he's kidding.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 12:20 PM   #19
phdezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Guys-he's kidding.
Old 15 February 2019, 12:22 PM   #20
Paul_I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
Guys-he's kidding.
Quote:
No he wasn't - but a good way to save face.

Old 17 February 2019, 03:31 PM   #21
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_I View Post
No he wasn't - but a good way to save face.
Lessened learned-either way.

We all get here in our own time.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 February 2019, 10:17 AM   #22
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
A very pertinent rational explanation by AEC. The return through hard service from an original owner purchase -of a 1680 Submariner has spoken volumes about value.
Ridden hard and put up wet-while still increasing exponentially in value-cannot be ignored. And-shot at-literally in a combat zone.

My vintage Seamaster Cosmic of 1969 has also suffered the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Both of these fine Swiss timepieces deserve the same respect accorded to a vintage Winchester or a loyal hunting dog companion.
The perceived value may partially lie in what the watch has endured, although it is considered an inanimate object-or an object of ultimate arrival, depending on one's age.

Vintage survivor watches do encourage waxing a bit philosophical.....
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote