The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 12 February 2019, 01:48 AM   #1
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Rolex AD report 2/10/19

Visited and AD in Columbia, MD yesterday. First time I have visited this location. Their cases looked as bad (empty) as everywhere else I have been in the last year or so. Only sports models were one Milgauss and one Yacht Master 40. They had maybe a dozen other watches - all Datejusts and and occasional PM. They did have a bunch of Subs in their pre-owned case. Not sure how much they were asking.

I talked to the manager for a little bit while they were adding a half link to my Sea Dweller. He said they are "getting out of the Rolex business" and planning to drop the brand. Same complaints were are used to about not being able to get stock in to sell. Said Rolex has really gone for the high luxury market, and the Asian market is killing them around the world (basically implying the Asian countries are eating up all the stock). Said not worth it for them to carry the brand if they never have anything to sell.

More of the same I guess. Wonder if we are going to see a lot more AD's abandoning Rolex here in the states and elsewhere? Bummer.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 01:52 AM   #2
mgsooner
"TRF" Member

It really is sad, and is going to drive those of us who do not care about acquiring the "hot" models to other brands.
mgsooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:17 AM   #3
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
I know which AD you're talking about and it's probably for the best.

Bought a 116610LN there a few years ago and noticed the sapphire was scratched as soon as I brought it home and there was some other damage to the watch. Brought it back in and they claimed I probably damaged it myself and didn't offer any remedy.

On another occasion, a friend brought their Rolex there to be serviced and the AD recommended they send it to a non-authorized service center. They were very shady about this and wouldn't tell my friend the name of the service center or that the price they quoted them was actually higher than going direct to Rolex.

Long story short, it's a good thing Rolex is culling ADs like this from their network.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:26 AM   #4
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
We have several Rolex AD's where I am and they always seem to have a good stock, albeit few SS, as is normal. But, we do live in a somewhat affluent area here where the AD's have a lot customers.

Smaller AD's where business is poor will not survive, as we have seen by some previous posts.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:29 AM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Wonder if we are going to see a lot more AD's abandoning Rolex here in the states and elsewhere?
Best possible thing that could happen.

Fewer dealers mean more stock to go around and this ups the prestige and exclusivity. Those who only seek value retention should be thrilled with this prospect.

Those who enjoy watches can look at other fine brands with a better history and a better dealer network.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:37 AM   #6
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

When Rolex launches a DTC website, there will be even fewer ADs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:38 AM   #7
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
Best possible thing that could happen.

Fewer dealers mean more stock to go around and this ups the prestige and exclusivity. Those who only seek value retention should be thrilled with this prospect.

Those who enjoy watches can look at other fine brands with a better history and a better dealer network.
This is just my opinion but I can't think of other brands with any better history. As much as I love Patek, Lange, and some others I don't think their dealer networks are any better either. Longer history maybe, more innovative and influential, probably not. I guess best is subjective ....
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 02:45 AM   #8
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
I know which AD you're talking about and it's probably for the best.

Bought a 116610LN there a few years ago and noticed the sapphire was scratched as soon as I brought it home and there was some other damage to the watch. Brought it back in and they claimed I probably damaged it myself and didn't offer any remedy.

On another occasion, a friend brought their Rolex there to be serviced and the AD recommended they send it to a non-authorized service center. They were very shady about this and wouldn't tell my friend the name of the service center or that the price they quoted them was actually higher than going direct to Rolex.

Long story short, it's a good thing Rolex is culling ADs like this from their network.
I have to say I was completely unimpressed with them. Store was dead for a Sunday afternoon. The guy definitely gave off a vibe like he didn't want to talk to me at any length. Just kind of an unfriendly exchange. And again there may have been one other customer in the entire store and three other employees. They did put the link in without charging me so I'll give 'em that. I know they aren't supposed to charge for that, but I have been charged at other ADs.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I said maybe they should consider adding Tudor to fill in the mid-luxury market. He said something like I can sell 300-400 watches of the brands I carry but only 30-40 Tudors. I assume he was talking about per month. Again that lends itself to the dismissive attitude I was picking up on.

Keep in mind this AD is the only AD in Howard County Maryland, one of the richest counties in the entire country. Sad that they are consisting dropping Rolex and won't even bother with Tudor.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Old 12 February 2019, 02:50 AM   #9
Ahfe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Highly doubt rolex would go to that route, unless they stated it before and want to be like Omega
Ahfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 03:05 AM   #10
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Quote:

This is what I think is going to happen too. Would eliminate the back door Grey revolving door and Greys would become a true used watch supply chain.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 03:12 AM   #11
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
I have to say I was completely unimpressed with them. Store was dead for a Sunday afternoon. The guy definitely gave off a vibe like he didn't want to talk to me at any length. Just kind of an unfriendly exchange. And again there may have been one other customer in the entire store and three other employees. They did put the link in without charging me so I'll give 'em that. I know they aren't supposed to charge for that, but I have been charged at other ADs.

One thing I forgot to mention was that I said maybe they should consider adding Tudor to fill in the mid-luxury market. He said something like I can sell 300-400 watches of the brands I carry but only 30-40 Tudors. I assume he was talking about per month. Again that lends itself to the dismissive attitude I was picking up on.

Keep in mind this AD is the only AD in Howard County Maryland, one of the richest counties in the entire country. Sad that they are consisting dropping Rolex and won't even bother with Tudor.

Yep, that sounds like just about every experience I’ve had with that AD. Dismissive, condescending and rude. Having grown up in Howard county, I was hoping to give a local dealer my business, but not thanks.
Old 12 February 2019, 03:28 AM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yep, that sounds like just about every experience I’ve had with that AD. Dismissive, condescending and rude. Having grown up in Howard county, I was hoping to give a local dealer my business, but not thanks.
This is the crux of the argument that most people seem to overlook.

This store is a jewelry store. They sell lots of shiny things. There is nothing special about Rolex in their store. When they have no stock to sell, they have no opportunity to make money. Simple.

Some people believe that Rolex is magical and should convey a sense of awe and wonder on anyone who is fortunate enough to see or touch one.

It is a watch. Period.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 12 February 2019, 03:30 AM   #13
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
This is just my opinion but I can't think of other brands with any better history. As much as I love Patek, Lange, and some others I don't think their dealer networks are any better either. Longer history maybe, more innovative and influential, probably not. I guess best is subjective ....
Many brands have a longer and more storied history in the world of horology.

Patek, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Vacheron, Breuget, Blancpain . . .

Rolex is the king of marketing.
Old 12 February 2019, 03:45 AM   #14
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
This is the crux of the argument that most people seem to overlook.

This store is a jewelry store. They sell lots of shiny things. There is nothing special about Rolex in their store. When they have no stock to sell, they have no opportunity to make money. Simple.

Some people believe that Rolex is magical and should convey a sense of awe and wonder on anyone who is fortunate enough to see or touch one.

It is a watch. Period.
Oh I agree, and empathize with frustrated ADs without stock. Even when this store had ample stock (relatively speaking), they were still not very friendly and cold.
Old 12 February 2019, 04:52 AM   #15
77T

Quote:

Yes, that County is #2 in US counties ranked by per capital income. In census data about 287,000 citizens. But that doesn’t mean they buy many Rolexes. Wealth, and what those people spend on jewelry, are not directly linked.

I think your encounter was with a classic pompous salestron - doubt they sell 300-400 watches per month. But I do get their frustration with Rolex.

Besides low stocking levels by RUSA, they are expected to do free work for complete strangers who will likely never visit again...

Old 12 February 2019, 07:26 AM   #16
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, that County is #2 in US counties ranked by per capital income. In census data about 287,000 citizens. But that doesn’t mean they buy many Rolexes. Wealth, and what those people spend on jewelry, are not directly linked.

I think your encounter was with a classic pompous salestron - doubt they sell 300-400 watches per month. But I do get their frustration with Rolex.

Besides low stocking levels by RUSA, they are expected to do free work for complete strangers who will likely never visit again...

LOL at that last part. Hey I would have paid them if they asked!

Old 12 February 2019, 07:44 AM   #17
77T

Yes I was in jest - glad you didn’t take offense.

Old 12 February 2019, 09:22 AM   #18
train-time
"TRF" Member

Watch: All gone!
I know the location well and have done business with them for close to 15 years. I have purchased at least a dozen pieces and referred another dozen or so. My current watch and my wife's both came from them. Since Rolex is their only high-end offering and ADs can't get stock it's really hurt them so they are looking to bring in a couple other high-end offerings to fill the revenue gap and I expect Rolex will pull the plug. It's all about sales and if the brand can't deliver product then I guess it time to move on.
train-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 09:32 AM   #19
TimeToWatch
Banned

Quote:

Having grown up in Howard County, it always surprises me that it's in the top 5-10 richest counties in the country. Yes, it is a well-off area, but pales in comparison to the concentrated wealth seen nearby in Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Washington, DC, and McLean/NoVa. Howard County has a high number of HENRYs (high earning not rich yet) pulling in low six-figures, which gives it a very high household income number. Thus, the median number, which everyone cares about is quite high. I'm guessing if you looked on the high-end, however, households with a $10M+ net worth are far and few between in Howard County. Lot's of people doing quite well, just not dripping in money like a top-5 ranking might have you assume.
Old 12 February 2019, 10:20 AM   #20
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Girlfriend and I went to 3 AD’s on Saturday. All 3 had SS sport models in the back. One offered me a Sub no date but I wasn’t interested. One wouldn’t sell me anything SS. The last AD even had his two tone Subs and GMT’s in the safe and not the display case and offered to sell me one. AD’s have stock they just won’t display it and unless they know you likely won’t even admit they have anything. It is a game at this point.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 11:00 AM   #21
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
I’ve purchased a few Rolex from the AD you’re talking about and have a great relationship with the folks there. I’ve been similarly disappointed to see barren cases in there the last two years.

They always treated me well but haven’t been able to get me any of the watches I’ve wanted the last few years, so I’ve spent my money elsewhere.

It’s my understanding Omega and Tag will be going in there in place of Rolex...not that either really interests me, but still. At least there will be watches in the case when I pass through.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2019, 10:12 PM   #22
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Having grown up in Howard County, it always surprises me that it's in the top 5-10 richest counties in the country. Yes, it is a well-off area, but pales in comparison to the concentrated wealth seen nearby in Chevy Chase, Bethesda, Washington, DC, and McLean/NoVa. Howard County has a high number of HENRYs (high earning not rich yet) pulling in low six-figures, which gives it a very high household income number. Thus, the median number, which everyone cares about is quite high. I'm guessing if you looked on the high-end, however, households with a $10M+ net worth are far and few between in Howard County. Lot's of people doing quite well, just not dripping in money like a top-5 ranking might have you assume.
I know what you mean but most counties have some rich, some poor, many in the middle. Howard Co is a completely suburban county to both Baltimore and Washington. No big urban area to worry about. Just a lot of suburbanites making good money. Howard may not have as many multi-millionaires as other counties, but it also has significantly fewer low-income residents as well. Like you say, lots of people doing quite well without any big pockets of low income that you see in nearly all counties rich or poor.
Old 12 February 2019, 10:18 PM   #23
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
I’ve purchased a few Rolex from the AD you’re talking about and have a great relationship with the folks there. I’ve been similarly disappointed to see barren cases in there the last two years.

They always treated me well but haven’t been able to get me any of the watches I’ve wanted the last few years, so I’ve spent my money elsewhere.

It’s my understanding Omega and Tag will be going in there in place of Rolex...not that either really interests me, but still. At least there will be watches in the case when I pass through.
Good info. I didn't have a BAD experience there, just not the most warm and fuzzy exchanges I've had with an AD. I normally go to Annapolis and they are terrific. However they have never been able to get me the watch (SD43) I wanted even though I was like #4 on their magic list. I imagine AD's get at least a little upset when people like me show up with watches they very rarely ever get in stock, knowing that most likely I got it from a grey (which I did). But blame Rolex, not me.

Omega and Tag make sense, but not sure why they wouldn't want to add Tudor to the stable? From their website it appears there is a grand total of ONE Tudor AD in the entire state. Makes no sense.
Old 12 February 2019, 11:25 PM   #24
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
I am happy to hear that many people have had a positive experience at this HoCo AD. I tried to purchase a watch there, but it felt like I was buying a used car (“let me talk with my manager,” who happened to be very rude.) I walked away, and ended up buying from an AD in Northern Virginia (great experience!)

This AD is also located in a mall. Every time I walk into a mall, I feel like I have stepped back in time. I find myself thinking, “this is how people used to buy things.” This mall, while in a “wealthy county,” is not a high end mall.

With this AD reportedly giving up it’s AD status, it would be nice to see another one pop up in the area. It the meantime, I have no problem traveling down 95, to visit an awesome AD in NoVa!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 12:59 AM   #25
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Good info. I didn't have a BAD experience there, just not the most warm and fuzzy exchanges I've had with an AD. I normally go to Annapolis and they are terrific. However they have never been able to get me the watch (SD43) I wanted even though I was like #4 on their magic list. I imagine AD's get at least a little upset when people like me show up with watches they very rarely ever get in stock, knowing that most likely I got it from a grey (which I did). But blame Rolex, not me.

Omega and Tag make sense, but not sure why they wouldn't want to add Tudor to the stable? From their website it appears there is a grand total of ONE Tudor AD in the entire state. Makes no sense.

I asked that question when I popped in there to drop off my Hulk for service a month or so ago. I can’t remember the particulars of the answer, but it was something to the effect of the relationship with Rolex had gone south, therefore Tudor was a non-starter from one/both parties’ perspectives.

Radcliffe may be the only Tudor AD in the state, but I like doing business with them too. Good people and I’ve had excellent experiences there.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 01:06 AM   #26
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
I asked that question when I popped in there to drop off my Hulk for service a month or so ago. I can’t remember the particulars of the answer, but it was something to the effect of the relationship with Rolex had gone south, therefore Tudor was a non-starter from one/both parties’ perspectives.

Radcliffe may be the only Tudor AD in the state, but I like doing business with them too. Good people and I’ve had excellent experiences there.
Correct on Radcliffe. I like them too. FYI I take a ride up 301 to my favorite Rolex & Tudor AD in Christiana Mall Delaware (no sales tax being a big plus!). Nice people there and they secured my Tudor GMT for me
Old 13 February 2019, 01:19 AM   #27
CK9366
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712G & 5205G
Because Asia market AD collaborate with grey dealer , selling premium price . The premium profit to cover the cost of keeping Rolex dead stock . They still making profit !!
CK9366 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 01:21 AM   #28
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Visited and AD in Columbia, MD yesterday. First time I have visited this location. Their cases looked as bad (empty) as everywhere else I have been in the last year or so. Only sports models were one Milgauss and one Yacht Master 40. They had maybe a dozen other watches - all Datejusts and and occasional PM. They did have a bunch of Subs in their pre-owned case. Not sure how much they were asking.

I talked to the manager for a little bit while they were adding a half link to my Sea Dweller. He said they are "getting out of the Rolex business" and planning to drop the brand. Same complaints were are used to about not being able to get stock in to sell. Said Rolex has really gone for the high luxury market, and the Asian market is killing them around the world (basically implying the Asian countries are eating up all the stock). Said not worth it for them to carry the brand if they never have anything to sell.

More of the same I guess. Wonder if we are going to see a lot more AD's abandoning Rolex here in the states and elsewhere? Bummer.
... How can Asian countries be eating up all the Rolex stocks when the shelves of our Rolex ADs here are just as empty.
Old 13 February 2019, 01:43 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I don't think we can blame China or any country for this global pandemic of overdemand, the greys in most countries are full of stock and not because they are being bought and flipped by only the Chinese. Everyone is getting the watches and the majority are flipping them.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2019, 01:43 AM   #30
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
Quote:
Correct on Radcliffe. I like them too. FYI I take a ride up 301 to my favorite Rolex & Tudor AD in Christiana Mall Delaware (no sales tax being a big plus!). Nice people there and they secured my Tudor GMT for me

Good Call! Radcliffe has an excellent selection of watches! I have not been up to the AD in the Christiana Mall. Is it worth the drive, and the tolls? FYI... NoVa ADs are also happy to deliver to Maryland tax free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote