The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 February 2019, 02:23 AM   #31
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
LOL, another Daytona thread...I have fallen into the hype 5 times. But I have never kept one more than 2 months. Keep trying to love them but just not for me. I doubt I will ever buy another one.

The weird thing is they were the worst selling pro model from inception until the 5 digits came out. Not sure if it was the self winding versus automatic or what, but they would drastically reduce them all the way up to late 80's/Early 90's. Rolex is still playing catch up...I love the looks of the 4 digit models especially the later 6263 big Reds.

We would have to have production and sales numbers to truly see what is the most "sought" after. My guess is more people seek a DJ more than any other model but I believe many more are produced.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:24 AM   #32
ROLEXster
"TRF" Member

Watch: is on BS wait list
Seems like there are a lot of Daytona haters here.
Will they buy a 500C at MSRP ... ofc they will.

If haters will buy it ... that seems pretty sought after to me.
ROLEXster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:27 AM   #33
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakalwe View Post
I’m sorry to be that guy, I’m not usually a grammar/spelling Nazi but this is one of my pet peeves.

“The proof of the pudding is in the eating” is the idiom.

“The proof is in the pudding” makes no sense, unless you’ve created a dessert out of alphabetti spaghetti.

I understand if I get a bollocking for pointing this out, but I’d never stop twitching if I didn’t get it out of my system.

While I agree it makes little sense this way, the “Proof is in the pudding” is a an accepted modern urban version.
Old 15 February 2019, 02:28 AM   #34
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Who says it IS the ‘most’ sought after?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It does seem to come up pretty frequently in the "what are you after, what should I add" threads. It and the standard superhero watches.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:29 AM   #35
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Would people prefer we call it the most flipped?

zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:29 AM   #36
pandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
In my case very simple. I have a Blk and a Wht 116520 that sit in the safe going to be gifts to my nephews, both bought from AD.
Have a WG Meteorite that I bought myself as a gift for passing the Bar exam, this one is on a leather strap and gets worn mostly with a suit in the evening, bought from my local AD.
Most recently, my beautiful wife bought me a SS White Ceramic for my 50th birthday so this one is the most sentimental to me and gets most of my wrist time on office days, bought from local AD.
I have also purchased several other Daytonas from ADs out of USA and sold them at cost to friends on the promise that they would never resell them to others. I see each one of those guys at least once a month and each one still has and wears their Daytona.
Why the Daytona?
1. I like the watch
2. My SS from the wife is special to me
3. The ones I have sold/gifted to others the joy of seeing the excitement on their face, the fun of having a group of friends that share a common watch
4. While the Daytona is certainly not limited it is sometimes lucky to get one and that makes the act of scoring one (at msrp cost) just a little more fun than other watches.
pandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:31 AM   #37
ctzn
2024 Pledge Member

I don't think the hype would be as strong were it not a legitimately good watch at its core, and the Daytona most certainly is, in my opinion. I wear mine regularly, and the hype doesn't dictate how comfortable or attractive I find it.
ctzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:34 AM   #38
pandrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Meteorite Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby81 View Post
I have had a few Rolex’s over the past few years & although the Daytona I purchased is not the much sought after S/S Ceramic I am still in love with the one I got. I only purchased this last May but it means a lot to me. The T/T Daytona 116503 (New Model) with the White MOP 8 Diamonds Dial

I am generally not a fan of TT watches but your watch is just great looking. Congrats and wear it in good health.
pandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:46 AM   #39
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Would people prefer we call it the most flipped?

^^^Winner^^^
Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:48 AM   #40
2024 Pledge Member

I must be living under a rock. I thought everyone wanted a Pearlmaster.

Since I can't yet justify a 6263, my modern will have to do. I'd rather it not be so hyped but it is what it is. I actually like it regardless of the noise.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:52 AM   #41
Bebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: U macallit
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
Who says it IS the ‘most’ sought after?

People that sells them.

--- __0 __0 __0
----_-\<,_ -\<,
_(_)(_)/_(_)/ (_)
Bebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 02:53 AM   #42
HappyFish
Banned

After Paul Newman there were only pimps and would likes wearing Daytonas!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:12 AM   #43
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avega357 View Post
It’s a collectors piece, to be a Rolex collector or watch collector you need to consider owning one. It a defining piece.

It’s like having a car collection and not owning a Porsche

I really think that is it.

Well said. It truly is a collector piece based on it's iconic status and a review of auction results. Mine is the only Rolex in my collection. It seems many on here want to disparage the Daytona, because of the frustrating waiting lists that have spread to pretty much the entire SS sport model line.
1watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:27 AM   #44
HappyFish
Banned

Ways more Dodge Viper than Porsche!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:33 AM   #45
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
It’s simple limited supply. They don’t mass produce them so it’s not that they are the most sought after. I would argue a simple sub , datejust etc is the most sought after. They sale so many more of them and people still wait for them
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:43 AM   #46
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Why the Daytona?

I love Daytonas - but in my collection I like (and enjoy) all references equally....else there’s no real point for a ‘collection’.

I’ve paid MSRP (or less) for all of my watches - and that is what they are worth to me. The Ceramics are engulfed with hype - and getting one is like finding the grail — that’s all. Another piece that exacerbates the hype and the desire is the price point — double it — it becomes a different story....enter the secondary market...

If they were sitting in cases everywhere - this thread would be QUITE different.

More people ask my AD for Stainless SkyDwellers (on average) than Daytonas. Make the stainless Daytona the same price as an AP ROC or other haute horology Chronos....would be interesting.

Just my .02

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:45 AM   #47
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
It's a great all round watch but certainly over-hyped, I like mine very much but it is probably the least treasured of my 3 SS.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 03:56 AM   #48
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
It's currently the most sought after as of the last decade or so, in another decade or two, it maybe become the least popular in the lineup.

I say popularity and taste of a particular item is a time sensitive thing. What's popular now doesn't mean it will always be popular. As everyone knows the Daytona was a dime a dozen back when it was introduced and frankly a few years after that. It's exploded exponentially in value only in the past 5 or so years.

It may be a bit resilient now... but that's until the next generation thinks otherwise.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 04:03 AM   #49
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Call it hype if you will. It was the hype that kept me from buying one earlier in my collecting career. It was hype that caused the search for one to become an obsession. It was hype that caused me to get a black dialed 116500 at over MSRP (the only watch I've done that on). Finally it was hype that caused me to trade most of my collection in on the Platinum version. Now it's hype that causes me to wear the heavy weight Rolex champion on my wrist 24/7 to the near exclusion of all other watches.

I do use the chrono movement frequently. I love the way it fits my 6.5in wrist. It is one of the few remaining Rolex watches that has the traditional Rolex shape and hasn't turned into an exaggeration of itself. For those of us with smaller wrists it's great to have a popular, modern, Rolex watch that I can still wear (that and the SD4K are the only 40mm Rolex watches I feel look right on me).

Could there be improvements? Potentially. I'd like to not have to use the screw downs on the pushers when I swim laps as I am always overtightening them and fighting to get them loose. It could have a date. The black face could be more legible in darkened lighting. Regardless, for me the Daytona is "THE" Rolex watch!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 06:43 AM   #50
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Spot on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Call it hype if you will. It was the hype that kept me from buying one earlier in my collecting career. It was hype that caused the search for one to become an obsession. It was hype that caused me to get a black dialed 116500 at over MSRP (the only watch I've done that on). Finally it was hype that caused me to trade most of my collection in on the Platinum version. Now it's hype that causes me to wear the heavy weight Rolex champion on my wrist 24/7 to the near exclusion of all other watches.

I do use the chrono movement frequently. I love the way it fits my 6.5in wrist. It is one of the few remaining Rolex watches that has the traditional Rolex shape and hasn't turned into an exaggeration of itself. For those of us with smaller wrists it's great to have a popular, modern, Rolex watch that I can still wear (that and the SD4K are the only 40mm Rolex watches I feel look right on me).

Could there be improvements? Potentially. I'd like to not have to use the screw downs on the pushers when I swim laps as I am always overtightening them and fighting to get them loose. It could have a date. The black face could be more legible in darkened lighting. Regardless, for me the Daytona is "THE" Rolex watch!!!

JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 07:02 AM   #51
Shaney
"TRF" Member

Thought I posted and it said waiting to be cleared by a mod but wanted to try this to see if it works and also try and get all the points I made down before I lose my flow

For me it's all about the friends you keep, the forums you read, the pictures you like on your social media platforms, the videos you watch on youtube..

For me the most popular or sought after at the moment is the hulk, is that because it is the one I am currently gunning for? Probably

Is the daytona the most sought after after the PN auction sale? Possibly

Now I'm not saying I don't like the daytona, I thing it's cracking.. but is it as nice as the green on the Hulk or the pepsi on that jubilee bracelet? Not for me.

Again, all about your own preference
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 07:10 AM   #52
Danwealth
"TRF" Member

Daytona sought after ??? I dont agree

IMO, the most sought after Rolex is the submariner.
Danwealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 07:44 AM   #53
Robertolewis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I had a black one and sold it because I didn't think it lived up.

After I sold it I realized how nice it was on the wrist.

I got a hold of a white now which I currently own and wear almost every day.

I have an offer to sell it for $20k, my brain says do it, my heart says don't.

Answering the questions, yes it lives up and it's not just that it's hard to get.

Great size.
Great weight distribution.
Wear it with anything.
Great movement.
Pure class in every situation.
Cool heritage.
Robertolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 07:48 AM   #54
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
Is it the new white ceramic that you’ve got?

Don’t sell!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertolewis View Post
I had a black one and sold it because I didn't think it lived up.

After I sold it I realized how nice it was on the wrist.

I got a hold of a white now which I currently own and wear almost every day.

I have an offer to sell it for $20k, my brain says do it, my heart says don't.

Answering the questions, yes it lives up and it's not just that it's hard to get.

Great size.
Great weight distribution.
Wear it with anything.
Great movement.
Pure class in every situation.
Cool heritage.
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 07:54 AM   #55
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
I find it useless with out a date, rather buy and Explorer and save 15k LOL
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:12 AM   #56
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
It is a wonderful amazing watch.

But legibility is less than optimum and the single reason I have not kept one (3 tries) in my collection for more than a year.
Old 15 February 2019, 08:18 AM   #57
klenboy
"TRF" Member

I've lusted after this watch for 19 years (since the 116520 came out). Now that I have one my ownership (short to this point) confirms why I lusted after this. I was unaware of the hype until 6 months ago when I was actively hunting for it.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 08:36 AM   #58
1watch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaney View Post
Thought I posted and it said waiting to be cleared by a mod but wanted to try this to see if it works and also try and get all the points I made down before I lose my flow

For me it's all about the friends you keep, the forums you read, the pictures you like on your social media platforms, the videos you watch on youtube..

For me the most popular or sought after at the moment is the hulk, is that because it is the one I am currently gunning for? Probably

Is the daytona the most sought after after the PN auction sale? Possibly

Now I'm not saying I don't like the daytona, I thing it's cracking.. but is it as nice as the green on the Hulk or the pepsi on that jubilee bracelet? Not for me.

Again, all about your own preference
To each their own and that's the fun of collecting. Everyone has different tastes. Objectively speaking, based on history and auction results of the Daytona lineage, it's the undisputed king among Rolex unless a different reference sets an auction record or establishes a history of "hard to find at AD" beyond the level the Daytona's established since launching the 16520.
Old 15 February 2019, 09:04 AM   #59
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

Maybe it really isn’t that popular.

Think about it. It is small, very hard to read, and the screw down pushers are annoying at best, if one actually wants to use the Chronograph.

Also It seems as soon as anyone actually gets a hold of one, they turn around and sell it.

It’s all an allusion...
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 09:19 AM   #60
1watch
"TRF" Member

Sounds like some on this thread are having trouble getting their hands on a Daytona.