The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 February 2019, 11:15 PM   #1
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Tried on my Holy Grail, what’s yours?

So I am in Philly for a meeting and was able to sneak away and walk down Walnut street before dinner. First, I swung by Tiffianys to check out the engagement ring I am building my soon to be fiancé’s off of. Good news is it’s absolutely perfect.

Okay now to the good stuff. I was able to swing by the local AD, Govberg, and started chatting with the sales manager. He asked what I was looking for and I told him blue skydweller / white Daytona. He started giving me the supply speech and I jokingly interrupted to let him know I knew the gig.

He then asks “what are your thoughts on the white gold, blue face Daytona; you get the best of both worlds.” I immediately said that is my holy grail watch (actually exact words haha). He comes from the back with the piece and let me try it on, gosh was is beautiful! I was actually so excited I didn’t even think about taking a pic for all of you!

He then does his sales speach and let’s me know that “just for you, I’ll let this go for 34k out the door”. At this time I can fathom spending that on a daily watch, but lord knows I want to! Who knows! By the time I can actually get the white Daytona / blue skydweller I may just bite the bullet on the blue Daytona!

Would love to see any pics of those who own one!
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:29 PM   #2
meyers
Banned

Watch: 16710
So the watch you actually want is... which one again?
meyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:29 PM   #3
Shaney
"TRF" Member

34K.. I'd have cried!

For me my holy grail is the hulk, it really is the only watch I have my eye on at the moment and would genuinely be happy if it was the only luxury piece I ever got to own.

My fiancé's director is a huge watch guy and naturally with me rabbiting on about saving up it was brought up to him, he said he could potentially organise something with his AD south of the border which would be amazing, I'd just need a good chunk of the % to secure it.. so that's my plan for now.

Sorry for the ramble mate, really glad you got to wear your holy grail!
Shaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:30 PM   #4
Gaijin
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
I'd fancy a White Gold Olive Dial Day Date.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:31 PM   #5
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Preowned should be around 27-28k, nobody should be paying 34k for that
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:32 PM   #6
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
It's a great watch, for sure. This is strictly my opinion and I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I would rather have this one than the blue Sky.

Seems the prices have jumped up on the PM Daytona's...a couple of months ago you could have got that one BNIB from a grey for 30k, now it looks like it's closer to 32. So, I guess 34 isn't all that outlandish...relatively speaking of course.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:33 PM   #7
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyers View Post
so the watch you actually want is... Which one again?
+1
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:35 PM   #8
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
First, congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

Second, I too love that blue Daytona. I think I've seen them (last year) going for as little as low twenties, used, but I think the market is a bit stronger now. No way would I buy one new. Actually, I've got a WG Daytona now (white face), of which I'm experiencing some buyer's remorse as it was quite expensive and I'm thinking of all of the other things that I could spend my money on. Still, it is a Daytona and it's gorgeous, even if it's not blue.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2019, 11:36 PM   #9
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyers View Post
So the watch you actually want is... which one again?
The blue face Daytona, just out of the financial question at that price range!
Old 16 February 2019, 12:05 AM   #10
emtee
"TRF" Member

Tried on the WG Sub the other day. Not sure if I would call it my grail but damn what a beautiful watch!
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:40 AM   #11
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I actually tried that exact Daytona on in NYC a week or two ago. Insanely beautiful watch, I really loved it.
Old 16 February 2019, 12:45 AM   #12
rw2008
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex AP Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkg1616 View Post

He then asks “what are your thoughts on the white gold, blue face Daytona; you get the best of both worlds.”

He then does his sales speach and let’s me know that “just for you, I’ll let this go for 34k out the door”.
Cringe
rw2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:49 AM   #13
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2008 View Post
Cringe
any AD that calls a dial a face i would cringe too. Its like nails on a chalkboard to me. Probably worse than an AD using watch nicknames.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:52 AM   #14
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
any AD that calls a dial a face i would cringe too. Its like nails on a chalkboard to me. Probably worse than an AD using watch nicknames.
To be honest, he did not seem to know the rolex brand very well.

He continued to try and sell me on their robust "used" watch collection; where the blue SkyD was $24K...check their website

I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex decided to check these guys out and their practices
Old 16 February 2019, 12:53 AM   #15
Hodog16
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Olive DD40
If my math is right that's about 15% off before tax. I wouldn't buy a PM watch from an AD unless it was at least 20% off and no tax.

I currently have my eye on either a rose gold GMT or a rose gold DD40 with olive dial pending what Basel holds.

For me, the good news is getting that discount isn't my problem, but the bad news is my wife has put a moratorium on watches currently.
Hodog16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 12:57 AM   #16
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To be honest, he did not seem to know the rolex brand very well.

He continued to try and sell me on their robust "used" watch collection; where the blue SkyD was $24K...check their website

I wouldn't be surprised if Rolex decided to check these guys out and their practices
i dont like AD's having a robust modern preowned business because i think the optics are terrible.... however its the way these AD's are able to grow and take out all the smaller AD's. Its only going to get worse

My AD has zero used watches in the store... none. I think they have trouble competing with the giant chains too. They rarely discount anything which is good for the brands they are selling and it should be rewarded. AD's selling used and making additional profit on that can then also discount new watches more easily too because they have multiple revenue streams. Discounting is always bad for the brand and people gravitate to the highest discounting AD's and most of them also sell preowned also.

Rolex seems to prefer high volume dealers and you can't be high volume when selling everything at retail so they dont seem to care.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
Old 16 February 2019, 01:23 AM   #17
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i dont like AD's having a robust modern preowned business because i think the optics are terrible.... however its the way these AD's are able to grow and take out all the smaller AD's. Its only going to get worse

My AD has zero used watches in the store... none. I think they have trouble competing with the giant chains too. They rarely discount anything which is good for the brands they are selling and it should be rewarded. AD's selling used and making additional profit on that can then also discount new watches more easily too because they have multiple revenue streams. Discounting is always bad for the brand and people gravitate to the highest discounting AD's and most of them also sell preowned also.

Rolex seems to prefer high volume dealers and you can't be high volume when selling everything at retail so they dont seem to care.
Tyler - i couldn't agree more! Optically it looks like they do "trades" with other large ADs and just sell at the grey market prices. They "claim" people just come to them and trade them in, yet most of them are new or like-new.

I bet the reason ADs claim they only get 1-2 Blue SkyD per year is because they do sketchy backdoor trades on the other 1-2...
Old 16 February 2019, 01:45 AM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tyler - i couldn't agree more! Optically it looks like they do "trades" with other large ADs and just sell at the grey market prices. They "claim" people just come to them and trade them in, yet most of them are new or like-new.

I bet the reason ADs claim they only get 1-2 Blue SkyD per year is because they do sketchy backdoor trades on the other 1-2...
my AD might do trades no idea, but if they do they go to a broker wholesale who then resells them. they have nothing to do with retailing used watches in the store. Im not against trade ins, i am against a dealer being heavily into the pre owned business as i think you should be primarily an AD if you are an AD.

Too many used watches and it looks like a used car lot and that's not very "luxury" is it? Luxury is what they are selling and used is used regardless of the price and if its more or less than retail
Old 16 February 2019, 02:24 AM   #19
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I like the WG Daytona with the blue dial. I've tried one on at a local AD. I have a yellow gold 116508 that I love, but if I were going to add a white gold sport model to my collection, it would be that 116509 with the blue dial.
Old 16 February 2019, 02:26 AM   #20
SearChart
TechXpert

The one this belongs to...

SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:27 AM   #21
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The one this belongs to...
Ha... that's mine as well!
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:27 AM   #22
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
Ha... that's mine as well!
You have good taste
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 02:47 AM   #23
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
We all have our grails and some of us have our crosses to bear after getting them!!! Good luck and condolences when you finally get yours!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:21 AM   #24
Zuger
"TRF" Member

Watch: me set the time
That AD carries a pretty good selection of preowned but prices are on the high side. If you shop around mom and pop ADs, you can find a brand new piece for less than their price of a preowned. Another way to support those rural ADs who are having a tough time keeping their AD status.
Zuger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:21 AM   #25
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

govbergs is famous for terrible prices on 2nd hand watches. Reputation confirmed.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:34 AM   #26
Twinkie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
We all have our grails and some of us have our crosses to bear after getting them!!! Good luck and condolences when you finally get yours!!!

The truest statement

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 03:47 AM   #27
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs

Not my pic

IWC Portoguese Grande Complication
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:16 AM   #28
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
I'd have to say that my new grail would be a minty 1675 GMT, Speedy 2998-2.

Modern grail would be a Lange Datograph.
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:39 AM   #29
bp1000
"TRF" Member

PP 5270

Never tried one sadly
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2019, 04:49 AM   #30
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

Patek Pilots watch

Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote