The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2021, 07:32 AM   #61
CEG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116505
20% off available now in UK on Speedy 1863 or 007. Inbox if you need the AD.

CEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 07:41 AM   #62
Cassidy776
Banned

How will they sell any watches if they stop discounting???
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 08:51 AM   #63
jj312
"TRF" Member

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN29X0MU

Swatch Group posts first annual loss in 40 years, I think they’ll be looking to move some watches.
jj312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 09:20 AM   #64
Nordicbeast
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
^Interesting

I love Omegas and have owned several but I can't imagine paying full retail for one as they seem to depreciate by 50% the moment that you receive them. By contrast I wouldn't lose a dime if I sold my DSSD today....
Nordicbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 09:43 AM   #65
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Well, I just got 20% off a new Speedy 1861 so thank goodness there are still some ADs out there willing to work to get the sale. Hope the discount going away is just hype.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2021, 10:21 AM   #66
cts
"TRF" Member

Recently got 12% off my beautiful 1863. Would have paid full retail though. I love it!
cts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 05:13 AM   #67
quadraaa
"TRF" Member

As I see it, discounts exist for a reason, and this reason is not the generousity of Omega, but the balance of supply and demand. If Omega stop discounting, they will face a decrease of demand. It can be that the customers will accept the new level of prices over time though. The question is who will blink first - Omega and OBs bearing sales drop or the customers wanting a new watch. And to succeed with this move Omega need to have a tighter control over their distribution, so that their watches don't pop up at greys with big discounts.
This does not apply to the very-much-in-demand watches like the new Speedy.
quadraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 08:41 AM   #68
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraaa View Post
As I see it, discounts exist for a reason, and this reason is not the generousity of Omega, but the balance of supply and demand. If Omega stop discounting, they will face a decrease of demand. It can be that the customers will accept the new level of prices over time though. The question is who will blink first - Omega and OBs bearing sales drop or the customers wanting a new watch. And to succeed with this move Omega need to have a tighter control over their distribution, so that their watches don't pop up at greys with big discounts.
This does not apply to the very-much-in-demand watches like the new Speedy.
I think you make some good points here. Another is whether the watch buying public sees enough value in the Omega brand to start to pay full retail. We've been used to getting discounts for so long I think that's going to be a difficult challenge, especially given past resale values being so low.

" I don't have a microwave oven but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks $h!t" - Mitch Hedburgh
Old 1 February 2021, 09:25 AM   #69
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
4 years ago almost all Rolexes were purchased with a discount with the exception of the Daytona. Now just about all of them are MSRP from an AD. If Omega really wanted to, they could stop the discounting.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 09:33 AM   #70
khalifam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
4 years ago almost all Rolexes were purchased with a discount with the exception of the Daytona. Now just about all of them are MSRP from an AD. If Omega really wanted to, they could stop the discounting.
The Daytona was given away for free when you bought a ladies datejust on a serious note, Omega can deffo pull it back.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk
khalifam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 01:18 PM   #71
Muzikman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub (116610LN)
Internet and specially the YouTube watch reviewers/dealers have spoiled it. They have created such hype around rolex and now it’s slowly catching to all brands. Wait till someone like Mayer will talk about how he finds a particular omega special and thinks it’ll appreciate in value! 3 years back I could get a SS sub at a 12% disc and I picked one. Also was available at the same time a batman at retail. Omegas were available at 25% off! Now I believe max 8% if you’re lucky! Atleast in my side of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Muzikman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2021, 02:42 PM   #72
ganiccus
Banned

Watch: Exp II
If Omega tells their AD network to stop discounts and their sales plummet in consequence, they will simply tell Omega to stuff it or they drop the brand from their store.
ganiccus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 03:51 AM   #73
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganiccus View Post
If Omega tells their AD network to stop discounts and their sales plummet in consequence, they will simply tell Omega to stuff it or they drop the brand from their store.
I think this is true. Aside from us WIS, the Omega brand just doesn't resonate with the general public like Rolex. Heck, to the untrained watch buyer, TAG has just as much cache!

Old 2 February 2021, 04:55 AM   #74
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
I think this is true. Aside from us WIS, the Omega brand just doesn't resonate with the general public like Rolex. Heck, to the untrained watch buyer, TAG has just as much cache!
Not sure about that. Before I bought my first nice watch I knew of only two luxury watch brands. Rolex and Omega. I think most non-WIS people know of Omega. It's a distant #2 to Rolex, but I do think there is quite a bit of awareness of the brand out there.

Beyond those two brands, most people can't tell the difference between a Patek and a Michael Kors
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2021, 07:54 AM   #75
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Not sure about that. Before I bought my first nice watch I knew of only two luxury watch brands. Rolex and Omega. I think most non-WIS people know of Omega. It's a distant #2 to Rolex, but I do think there is quite a bit of awareness of the brand out there.

Beyond those two brands, most people can't tell the difference between a Patek and a Michael Kors
I'd like to add the most younger folk know Omega better than baby boomers simply because of Bond connection.

I think about 10 years ago Tag was bigger than Omega or seemed to have more presence but Omega for sure has overtaken all other brands (except the Crown ofc) in recent years.

Its not about the WIS only. Visit any watch forum and you will find Omega section is pretty noisy. Tag might as well be dead to WIS crowd. LOL.

The only time someone has commented on my watch has been on my Omega and Galaxy S

Edit: and yes, growing up I loved Rolex and then found Omega. Didn't really know much about anything and nothing else really peaked my interest. You know come to think of it, that might as well be true today. Omega has the most models I desire with Rolex being second and Patek third.

Most people will perhaps notice Rolex and not say anything, assuming dude can be a snob
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2021, 04:09 AM   #76
AdamW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've got to give you this!

Old 3 February 2021, 08:07 AM   #77
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

So...Michael Kors or ... Invicta?
trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2021, 04:47 AM   #78
n3rd
"TRF" Member

When the markets crap the bed the discounts will reappear.
n3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2021, 11:06 PM   #79
rich-96db
"TRF" Member

Just received a 15% discount on a new 41mm Constellation that is arriving tomorrow. Was told no discount on the new Speedmasters for the time being.
rich-96db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2021, 11:57 PM   #80
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeKenny View Post
Yup I agree. I will happily pay full retail when my AD finally gets them back in
I really like Omega, and the Seamaster is a great line, but I don’t happily pay full retail for anything!!
Old 4 February 2021, 11:59 PM   #81
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
So...Michael Kors or ... Invicta?
Invicta for sure; comes with an complimentary dose of testosterone.
Old 5 February 2021, 01:26 AM   #82
C0d
Banned

Watch: Dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
Invicta for sure; comes with an complimentary dose of testosterone.
Michael Kors might come with more lady love.
C0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2021, 01:59 AM   #83
Cassidy776
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich-96db View Post
Just received a 15% discount on a new 41mm Constellation that is arriving tomorrow. Was told no discount on the new Speedmasters for the time being.
10%-12% discounts on new Speedmasters at my AD....since the 3861 will be the regular production Moonwatch for years, I'll wait until the discounts are larger. Got 20% off of my recent 1861 purchase.
Cassidy776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 10:00 PM   #84
Mini2
"TRF" Member

My AD saying no discount what so ever but has anyone got any discount recently thanks
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 10:44 PM   #85
Sherwooddavid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
From what I've been hearing the 1861's are becoming very scarce at AD's and they aren't discounting what little stock they have and the price has actually been going up a bit on the secondary market.
Sherwooddavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 10:49 PM   #86
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
My AD saying no discount what so ever but has anyone got any discount recently thanks
This is a very good thing.

Brands need to stop devaluing themselves.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 11:19 PM   #87
Mini2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
This is a very good thing.

Brands need to stop devaluing themselves.
What about retailers who need to move stock and cover cash flow?
Mini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2021, 11:58 PM   #88
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini2 View Post
What about retailers who need to move stock and cover cash flow?
What about them?

If they cannot afford to be a dealer then perhaps they should not be.

Why does driving down the value of Omega help them in that scenario?

What about Breitling or TAG?

Rolex and Patek have it right, luxury jewlery should not be available to everyone.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 12:14 AM   #89
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Omega still makes far, far too many watches for this to stick.

Perhaps the Speedy can hold for a bit, but ultimately Omega will crank these out subsequently reducing demand and forcing discounts to move dead Omegas out the door.
Pretty much…
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2021, 12:49 AM   #90
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Over on Omegaforums there was discussion that Omega raised wholesale prices on dealers while keeping MSRP the same. If that really happened then discounts will get even smaller for new watches.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote