The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 6 July 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
bboris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Update and help request RE: 1675

Dear all,

In one of my previous posts I had asked if anybody has heard of a 16750 with a small 24h hand, as the sale person insisted the watch in question was a 16750.

Here an update. Now, they said it was a 1675 (as we all knew already). Anyway, I got quite excited about it and am thinking of purchasing it but was wondering what the experts verdict is.

I attached some representative pictures I took with my cell phone 10 min before they closed their store (sorry for the bad quality, but I took them in a hurry).

The serial number is: 1.3xx.xxx
It is a 1675.
The movement is a 1570.

Unfortunately, the bezel is stuck and cannot be moved.

These were some of the questions that came to my mind:
- I am no expert but was wondering if it is a gilt dial or simply a strong overall patina.

- Can the bezel be easily repaired?

- It seems to have a closed 6 - is that OK for a watch from the 1960's?

- What do you think about the quality of the watch and how much would you be willing to pay for it.

Any input is appreciated!!!

Thank you very much for your help,

Boris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000132.jpg (81.4 KB, 453 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000133.jpg (76.8 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000135.jpg (69.8 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000136.jpg (60.6 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000138.jpg (63.4 KB, 457 views)
bboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 10:45 AM   #2
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
Looks like a gilt dial to me. Bezel could just need cleaning or a new retention piece. Bracelet is a later replacement. What are they asking?
Old 6 July 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
bboris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Looks like a gilt dial to me. Bezel could just need cleaning or a new retention piece. Bracelet is a later replacement. What are they asking?
Thanks for your immediate reply. The asking price is close to $5000, which would be an excellent price for a gilt dial I guess.
Old 6 July 2013, 12:32 PM   #4
RC2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675
Ah yes excellent price

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
RC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 12:34 PM   #5
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
You have stumbled upon a very nice, vintage gilt-dialed GMT. It appears to wear the original dial and hands. As far as the date wheel goes, it too appears original based on your photo.

I wouldn't worry about the insert not turning. Many of the older watches have bezels that have not been cleaned properly and are full of "DNA" and other crud which keeps them from turning and/or sticking. Also the older GMT's did not have ratcheting bezels like the later GMT's. They older 1675's are press fit in to the case. Normally, according to the bezel instructions provided by Rolex, you need to push the bezel in toward the case to rotate it.

Looks like you found a nice catch.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 12:48 PM   #6
bboris
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the input. I asked to hold it for me until tomorrow - hopefully, they did. Two more questions:

- should I have the bezel insert cleaned or rather leave it not to cause damage?
- is it normal for watches from this era (I assume approx. 1965 based upon the serial number) to these thick but rather inaccurate lumeplots?

Thanks,

Boris
Old 6 July 2013, 12:54 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboris View Post
Thanks for all the input. I asked to hold it for me until tomorrow - hopefully, they did. Two more questions:

- should I have the bezel insert cleaned or rather leave it not to cause damage?
- is it normal for watches from this era (I assume approx. 1965 based upon the serial number) to these thick but rather inaccurate lumeplots?

Thanks,

Boris
The dial looks fine for circa 1965. Have the jeweler/watchmaker clean the bezel if it bothers you, or it can easily be removed yourself and cleaned. There have been a few threads here in the past on removing bezels. Try the search function here on TRF or google "removing a Rolex GMT bezel" or "changing a Rolex bezel insert." You might try this thread for changing an insert found in the Reference Library and placed there by moderator Tools. The first post in the thread has a link to a bezel insert photo tutorial done by TRF member Jocke. Although you are not changing your insert, the process to remove the bezel is detailed in this post by Jocke.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=49732

Below are some before and after pics of one that I cleaned up a while back - it was turning very easy either. Notice how dirty the back of the bezel/insert is along with the dirt and grime around the crystal where the insert fits next to the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small3.jpg (42.1 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg small23.jpg (45.3 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg small10.jpg (34.8 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg small24.jpg (83.9 KB, 425 views)

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 6 July 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
bboris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The dial looks fine for circa 1965. Have the jeweler/watchmaker clean the bezel if it bothers you, or it can easily be removed yourself and cleaned. There have been a few threads here in the past on removing bezels. Try the search function here on TRF or google "removing a Rolex GMT bezel" or "changing a Rolex bezel insert." You might try this thread for changing an insert found in the Reference Library and placed there by moderator Tools. The first post in the thread has a link to a bezel insert photo tutorial done by TRF member Jocke. Although you are not changing your insert, the process to remove the bezel is detailed in this post by Jocke.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=49732

Below are some before and after pics of one that I cleaned up a while back - it was turning very easy either. Notice how dirty the back of the bezel/insert is along with the dirt and grime around the crystal where the insert fits next to the case.
Thanks a lot. That loomes quite nice after you cleaned it. Did it significantly improve the turnability of the bezel? The reason why I am asking is that the bezel on my (not yet, though hopefully tomorrow) did not turn at all. I tried its, the sales person as well as their watchmaker using a towel.
In general, I am not very handy. But maybe, I will give it a try unless they offer that their watchmaker can do it.

Thanks,

Boris
Old 6 July 2013, 01:21 PM   #9
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Looks great! Im driving down from Austin to get that one myself! Now, where did you say it was? ;)
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 01:26 PM   #10
bboris
"TRF" Member

I just found one more picture I took with a white paper as background hopefully giving a better view of the dial.
It sounds like everybody feels pretty good about the watch based upon my pics and description, as well as the price.

Please let me know if there are any concerns otherwise, as I am panning to go ahead and buy it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Boris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.8 KB, 418 views)
Old 6 July 2013, 01:47 PM   #11
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboris View Post
Thanks a lot. That loomes quite nice after you cleaned it. Did it significantly improve the turnability of the bezel? The reason why I am asking is that the bezel on my (not yet, though hopefully tomorrow) did not turn at all. I tried its, the sales person as well as their watchmaker using a towel.
In general, I am not very handy. But maybe, I will give it a try unless they offer that their watchmaker can do it.

Thanks,

Boris
Yes, the bezel worked properly after the cleaning I gave it. Remember, these older bezels do not ratchet like the newer ones and they do not turn as easy as the ratcheting bezels.

Old 6 July 2013, 01:49 PM   #12
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
Looks great! Im driving down from Austin to get that one myself! Now, where did you say it was? ;)
Let's have a Cannonball Run to Houston. I'm leaving from Dallas in the morning.

Old 6 July 2013, 01:54 PM   #13
bboris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Let's have a Cannonball Run to Houston. I'm leaving from Dallas in the morning.
You guys are killing me!!! I won't be able to sleep tonight awaiting the morning...
Old 6 July 2013, 02:02 PM   #14
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

These bezels you need to push down and turn
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 02:08 PM   #15
bboris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
These bezels you need to push down and turn
I was trying to push it down holding it in my hands rather than wearing it on then wrist. However, despite counter pressure from the underside, the bezel did not move at all.
Old 6 July 2013, 04:56 PM   #16
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Nice find ! These don't come up often that looks like a keeper

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Nice gilt dial. Bezel not a problem - pop it off and clean it. It may need a new retention spring underneath too. Mine's a 1966 (1.4 mill) and has an open-6s date-wheel. Great price. I'd be all over it like a prisoner on a hooker.

Edit - the only downside for me, although it's not a deal-breaker, is the case has had quite a lot of polishing. See the 'bowled out' lug holes, for example. Just a note.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 09:16 PM   #18
RC2
"TRF" Member

I'm in dc - I won't make it there in time - wonder if that store has any other gems?

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 6 July 2013, 09:30 PM   #19
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
What a great find and for a fantastic price!! Look forward to seeing it on your wrist so congrats in advance!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 09:35 PM   #20
BaltimoreBrian
"TRF" Member

Watch: iZ
I too missed this thread and only just now jumped in to enjoy the excitement if this find. Congrats!
BaltimoreBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFan65 View Post
What a great find and for a fantastic price!! Look forward to seeing it on your wrist so congrats in advance!
+1. Dreamcatch.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 July 2013, 11:23 PM   #22
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

That is a bargain, gilt GMT's are amazing!
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2013, 12:50 AM   #23
RC2
"TRF" Member

Ok; you must have purchased it - where are the pics

Member of Nylon Nation
Red Sox Nation
Instagram watchguy97
Old 7 July 2013, 01:16 AM   #24
joe100
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer
$5k is a pretty good price for a gilt small hand
Old 7 July 2013, 01:28 AM   #25
bboris
"TRF" Member

New update

Here is an update. I went to the store this morning and they had disassembled the watch and put the case in an ultrasound bath in order to get it clean enough for the bezel to move. They showed me the bezel which puzzled them a little bit. It was missing the "inside black ring" (sorry, I do not know the technical term) shown in the pictures of Springer's post, and they said the other bezel part was quite snug.
Is it normal??? Or maybe indicating trouble?

They will let me know when it is ready. Assuming that the bezel still does not move - is that a concern as it may not be fixable?

I will keep you updated.

Thanks,

Boris
Old 7 July 2013, 02:30 AM   #26
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Like I said - it needs a tension spring under the bezel - no big deal at all. If that 'puzzles' them I'd be a bit worried about that though.
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2013, 02:49 AM   #27
mdw3
"TRF" Member

The watch looks good. The bezel is a non-issue, an easy fix by a competent technician. I would say the longer you leave the watch there the less likely you are going to own it. You should have just bought it today, if you like it. The price asked represents a significant discount to market, and I can assure you that either (a) they are going to figure this out if you wait long enough, and then not sell it to you at all, or (b) someone else who DOES know more will see it (possibly inadvertently, possibly not), and will offer more, and then you will not see it again. Trust me, I know how this story ends.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2013, 02:53 AM   #28
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post
The watch looks good. The bezel is a non-issue, an easy fix by a competent technician. I would say the longer you leave the watch there the less likely you are going to own it. You should have just bought it today, if you like it. The price asked represents a significant discount to market, and I can assure you that either (a) they are going to figure this out if you wait long enough, and then not sell it to you at all, or (b) someone else who DOES know more will see it (possibly inadvertently, possibly not), and will offer more, and then you will not see it again. Trust me, I know how this story ends.

Michael
Excellent advise I would personally go pay for it now if it was me

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2013, 03:09 AM   #29
pdoukas
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing Duke bball
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdw3 View Post

Michael
Michael is spot on! Grab this now! The bezel is a non- issue.
pdoukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2013, 03:35 AM   #30
bboris
"TRF" Member

Got it!!!!!!

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your help and excellent advice. Following your recommendations, I went ahead and got it.

Attached I send you some pictures including the obligatory wrist shot plus an additional surprise I got after I purchased it. The gave me the other "things" that came with it including the original bezel insert, maybe the original tension spring (?) and a swiss chronometer certificate. While the certificate turned out to be the wrong one (the serial number did not match), I was excited about the original bezel insert and the possible solution to the bezel problem if this is indeed the correct bezel tension spring.

As I received some questions if they had additional hidden gems, I was looking around a little bit and the only more interesting watch between a lot of modern and some used Seikos and Movados, was a Patek Philippe from 1945 for $9,000; however, it looked micro on my rather smallish wrist (probably just because one is used to large watches these days). I asked for more Rolex watches but they said that this was a consignment piece and not the regular thing for them.

Again, I really enjoy having this watch and thank all of you again. This is an amazing forum and the expertise of all of you unbelievably impressive.

Thanks again,

Boris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000142.jpg (75.7 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000143.jpg (56.7 KB, 315 views)