The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 8 July 2013, 01:49 PM   #61
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The end links are aftermarket but how about the bracelet? Does it have the crown stamped on the outer clasp? How about any Rolex script or writing on the clasp blade?

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2013, 02:00 PM   #62
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Yup, maybe you would like a full gen 67 for that one
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2013, 09:39 PM   #63
bboris
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 1675
Yes, there is Rolex stamped on the clasps. Attached are the pictures of the clasp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.1 KB, 120 views)
bboris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2013, 10:56 PM   #64
bboris
"TRF" Member

Here is the outside of the clasp...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.9 KB, 108 views)
Old 9 July 2013, 12:00 AM   #65
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
The complete bracelet is counterfeit.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 12:07 AM   #66
bboris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
The complete bracelet is counterfeit.
Hopefully not the watch itself...any reason for concern in regard to that?

Thanks,

Boris
Old 9 July 2013, 05:31 AM   #67
bboris
"TRF" Member

Any input greatly appreciated

Does anybody else have thoughts on the band? I am worried as I am surprised that somebody would put a counterfeit band on a genuine Rolex. Did somebody have the same experience?

Thanks,

Boris
Old 9 July 2013, 05:59 AM   #68
JCW1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
Congratulations! What a catch, and how exciting to get the "extras" too - that original insert has a very cool fade!

Bracelet looks suspect to me too. I'm no expert, but you should have codes on the underside of the endlinks, on the underside of the last links of the bracelet (closest to the case on either side), and that picture makes it look like the Rolex symbol on the blade is etched instead of stamped. Sorry that you ended up with an aftermarket bracelet, but at the deal you found, you'll still be ahead of the game if you source an original bracelet to replace it.

Wear it in the best of health!
JCW1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 07:02 AM   #69
bboris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
Congratulations! What a catch, and how exciting to get the "extras" too - that original insert has a very cool fade!

Bracelet looks suspect to me too. I'm no expert, but you should have codes on the underside of the endlinks, on the underside of the last links of the bracelet (closest to the case on either side), and that picture makes it look like the Rolex symbol on the blade is etched instead of stamped. Sorry that you ended up with an aftermarket bracelet, but at the deal you found, you'll still be ahead of the game if you source an original bracelet to replace it.

Wear it in the best of health!
Thanks for your reply. If it is just the bracelet, I won't complain - as long as the watch itself is beyond doubt genuine. It will be much cheaper and less trouble to replace the watch band than to go back to the store and having to prove them that watch is countfeit. Although, maybe I should tell them that there is serious doubt about the band!?
Do you or anybody else know the best source tomlocate a watch band from approx. 1965/66?

Thanks,

Boris
Old 9 July 2013, 07:17 AM   #70
JCW1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster
I'm pretty sure that watch head is kosher. If it wasn't, these guys would have jumped all over it.

I've seen bracelets on eBay, claiming to be genuine and in excellent condition, for the $1k range, but I'm sure some of the other members will have better ideas than that. I've never searched for a bracelet before, so I'll be interested to see what suggestions others have too. I have a feeling, the membership will suggest you look to the forum sales wall and/or trusted members/dealers, which always sounds like good solid advice.

If it were me, I would definitely contact the shop and bring your concerns about the bracelet to their attention. If you have another vintage bracelet, you might even bring it along to illustrate the differences. It maybe worth a bit of a refund since the bracelet's probably worth $20 at best, versus $1000 (or whatever) for genuine Rolex. Good Luck!!
JCW1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 07:31 AM   #71
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW1980 View Post
I'm pretty sure that watch head is kosher. If it wasn't, these guys would have jumped all over it.

I've seen bracelets on eBay, claiming to be genuine and in excellent condition, for the $1k range, but I'm sure some of the other members will have better ideas than that. I've never searched for a bracelet before, so I'll be interested to see what suggestions others have too. I have a feeling, the membership will suggest you look to the forum sales wall and/or trusted members/dealers, which always sounds like good solid advice.

If it were me, I would definitely contact the shop and bring your concerns about the bracelet to their attention. If you have another vintage bracelet, you might even bring it along to illustrate the differences. It maybe worth a bit of a refund since the bracelet's probably worth $20 at best, versus $1000 (or whatever) for genuine Rolex. Good Luck!!
I would take the watch band back and explain to them hey, its a fake band, can you do anything, to which their reply will probably be no since it was a consignment. but its always worth a shot, if not you still got a deal and a half, and can easily source a bracelet for less than a grand.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 10:40 AM   #72
mdw3
"TRF" Member

The band is no good, as I (nicely) suggested about 12 posts up. Just the band. That's all. It is not unusual for some idiot to put on a fake band when the original is no longer serviceable. If I had to hazard a guess, I would put my money on the shop you bought it from. But as was said above, the deal was still a good one. Not that hard to find the band you need.

Michael
mdw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 11:31 AM   #73
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Watch is great band not. Not period correct.
If you go aftermarket bracelet there are a lot better ones on the market.
I would go with a super jubilee until I could afford the real deal.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2013, 11:51 AM   #74
MP5
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

A super jubilee will be more than a nice folded link, rivet and jubilee put together. Pm me Boris, this isn't a big deal
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2013, 07:12 AM   #75
Tcaviglioli
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5512, 6263, 6265
great price and very good looking gilt 1675 !
Tcaviglioli is offline   Reply With Quote