The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 11 July 2013, 12:05 AM   #1
cruvon
"TRF" Member

All original Red Sub?

Not buying but just curious if is all original!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1973-Vint...item5d4139f511

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Clay
Banned

Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 12:43 AM   #3
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
Not buying but just curious if is all original!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1973-Vint...item5d4139f511
What I see is a bezel insert that has been replaced and the original bracelet missing as well as a replacement bracelet! For $9,000, two GMT's would be a much wiser purchase.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 01:06 AM   #4
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
I believe this is Andrew shears watch he has up for sale. His user ID just a couple days ago was sheartime. Looks like he changed his ebay ID.. I was looking at this.. Andrew always has beautiful pieces up on his site, This probably didn't pass the test so he through it up on the bay. In general he is a bit over priced IMO. esp on this particular red sub.. hands are cracked, dial is beautiful, insert is a service insert. Not worth 9k..

IMO I wouldn't pay more than $6500 for this piece. better to spend more sometimes on a complete watch then buying a watch that needs parts. in the end, buying the parts is more expensive and time consuming. I have learned that the hard way.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Andrew overpriced on ebay? Not overly I'd say...
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 03:29 AM   #6
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Andrew overpriced on ebay? Not overly I'd say...
sure he has to cover his cost and ebay fee's.. but 9k for a red sub with service insert. cracked hands and no bracelet is infact over priced compared to what the rest have sold for recently. a member from VRF was kind enough to send me an excel sheet of all 1680 red subs and white subs that have sold on VRF within the last 2 years. going by that price sheet as well, I would say this is over priced for what it is. Also, this watch was clearly not pristine enough for Andrew to sell on his web site. What ever doesn't make the mint condition list, he sells on ebay. from what I have noticed over time.
Old 11 July 2013, 06:48 AM   #7
SubKing
"TRF" Member

i'm going to do the math on this particular watch, what it would cost to restore it as it sits.

Me personally, I would never want to buy a vintage that has mixed service parts and not want to restore it to vintage condition.

From what I have paid on VRF in the past, the prices would go as fallows, in USD

Nice condition fat font insert- $500 to $700
Tritium cream pearl $200 to $300
Correct bracelet $1000 to $1,300
cream matching handset not cracked $500 to 800 (depending on condition)
So let's be generous and add up all the parts using the lowest figures, it comes to $2,200

IMO you subtract that price from 9k and you get $6,800.00 and that's what you should pay for the watch.

Now if it doesn't bother you that this watch has a 100 dollar service insert and luminova pearl, cracked hands that to me are not in the best shape and no bracelet, then buy the watch, but I suggest you not to pay 9k. it would be very hard for you to get your money back if you decide to sell...

Now, add another 1k to the 9k price and you could get a red sub that is complete. adding another grand is better then spending over 2 to bring this particular sub back to it's former glory. just my 2cents.
Old 11 July 2013, 09:36 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubKing View Post
sure he has to cover his cost and ebay fee's.. but 9k for a red sub with service insert. cracked hands and no bracelet is infact over priced compared to what the rest have sold for recently. a member from VRF was kind enough to send me an excel sheet of all 1680 red subs and white subs that have sold on VRF within the last 2 years. going by that price sheet as well, I would say this is over priced for what it is. Also, this watch was clearly not pristine enough for Andrew to sell on his web site. What ever doesn't make the mint condition list, he sells on ebay. from what I have noticed over time.
That is how it works, or nobody from his call list wants it. But, he can ask whatever he wants and bless him if he gets it!!! I know NYC prices don't fly here in Dallas...at least for most buyers.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2013, 12:30 PM   #9
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
That is how it works, or nobody from his call list wants it. But, he can ask whatever he wants and bless him if he gets it!!! I know NYC prices don't fly here in Dallas...at least for most buyers.
yeah, for sure. Things in major cities like NY or LA definitely can at times have their premiums.. cost of living in these places alone are much more expensive compared to here in MI where I live so it's understandable.

I have purchased few vintage watches in the past, I would always try to cut a corner and go with a fixer upper. with vintage, you get what you pay for and it always comes out to cost way more time and money to fix a watch up. Now I know better and just pay the premium to get the whole package when I find it.
Old 11 July 2013, 09:07 PM   #10
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the red sub evaluation guys, didn't realize it was Andrew Shear's Ebay id. He is offcourse amongst a few sellers who does sell great examples of vintages on his actual website!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2013, 08:06 AM   #11
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
This is what I mean by prices jumping. I think some sellers are testing the waters, not that there is anything wrong with that at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote