The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 May 2023, 12:30 AM   #1
G-UK
"TRF" Member

Best AD to build relationship with in London

Hi there - what's been your experience with the various Rolex AD in London and which one would you recommend?

I stopped by Mappin & Webb in Old Bond and registered for a Yacht Master 37mm a few months back. Although they didn't specific timelines (expected!), they said that it was a piece that could be possible to get but 2 months later I still haven't received a call. I wonder if I should be looking into a different AD?

I bought a few Rolex before (not via AD) and I'd like to build a relationship with an AD in London for modern pieces (and to potentially tap into Patek, AP and other things at retail for when the time is right).

Suggestions? Thank you!
G-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 01:02 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Try Watches of Switzerland as they have many locations globally and use a unified database.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 01:13 AM   #3
RogerOP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Try Watches of Switzerland as they have many locations globally and use a unified database.
M&W is WoS in the UK.

I would continue with a WoS group and try and find some village-style local AD you can frequent.

I stuck with WoS and they did a really huge favour for me last month.
RogerOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 01:31 AM   #4
Rickkk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-UK View Post
Hi there - what's been your experience with the various Rolex AD in London and which one would you recommend?

I stopped by Mappin & Webb in Old Bond and registered for a Yacht Master 37mm a few months back. Although they didn't specific timelines (expected!), they said that it was a piece that could be possible to get but 2 months later I still haven't received a call. I wonder if I should be looking into a different AD?

I bought a few Rolex before (not via AD) and I'd like to build a relationship with an AD in London for modern pieces (and to potentially tap into Patek, AP and other things at retail for when the time is right).

Suggestions? Thank you!
Any previous purchases with them?
Rickkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 02:54 AM   #5
Rozzski999
"TRF" Member

Watches of Switzerland
Rozzski999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 05:06 AM   #6
G-UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickkk View Post
Any previous purchases with them?
No previous purchase.
Old 30 May 2023, 05:17 AM   #7
G-UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerOP View Post
M&W is WoS in the UK.

I would continue with a WoS group and try and find some village-style local AD you can frequent.

I stuck with WoS and they did a really huge favour for me last month.
The fact that they're one of the biggest in the UK isn't a limitation in your opinion? Just need to be patient with them?
Old 30 May 2023, 08:23 AM   #8
SamArj
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Suggestions? Thank you!

You do realise that if you're wanting to 'potentially tap into Patek, AP at retail' you're looking at spending a minimum of £30k on stuff that you probably don't want? Maybe even more.

Getting a sought after Rolex is a walk in the park compared to Patek. And buying a Rolex won't help you get the Patek, you'll have to buy a rubbish Patek to be 'allowed' to then register for a sought after model.
Patek brand seems to operate almost independently within WOS stores, your purchase history for other brands will not help

Good luck.....think you'll need it
SamArj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 09:24 AM   #9
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Any family-owned ADs left in London where a new buyer can quickly build a strong relationship with the owners?
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 09:56 AM   #10
Callmepeshy
"TRF" Member

Stay away from M&W and WoS on Regent St. Mixed messages, high staff turnover so impossible to build any relationship and a lot of incompetence/lack of knowledge.

Last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago) I asked about a CHNR, the SA asked what I meant… I then pointed to it next to me and she said ‘oh, that one is called the rootbeer’

After a good purchase history, they were very unhelpful, almost losing my warranty card etc so I went elsewhere and that has been a breath of fresh air to say the least!
Callmepeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2023, 03:34 PM   #11
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Most ADs will want your relationship/business when you have to spend £10k on overpriced jewellery to get your YM. Go grey , you can buy BNIB near retail
Old 30 May 2023, 03:44 PM   #12
waxy88
"TRF" Member

I don’t think a 2 month wait is excessive, ultimately they can only sell what has been delivered.

Personally I have met with great sales associates at both Regent Street and Oxford Street WoS
waxy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 03:54 AM   #13
shiftar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callmepeshy View Post
Stay away from M&W and WoS on Regent St. Mixed messages, high staff turnover so impossible to build any relationship and a lot of incompetence/lack of knowledge.

Last time I was there (about 2 weeks ago) I asked about a CHNR, the SA asked what I meant… I then pointed to it next to me and she said ‘oh, that one is called the rootbeer’

After a good purchase history, they were very unhelpful, almost losing my warranty card etc so I went elsewhere and that has been a breath of fresh air to say the least!
More or less had the same experience with WOS, have had about 3 different reps and still haven't picked up a watch. Which AD did you go to?
shiftar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 04:00 AM   #14
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Pragnell is probably your best bet in London
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 04:12 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Suggestions? Thank you!
Most all this so called AD relationship stuff mainly exists in internet fantasy land.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 04:30 AM   #16
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Suggestions? Thank you!
If you’re just starting out then why would you not choose Bucherer?
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 08:14 AM   #17
SpecialK888
"TRF" Member

You should be aware that WoS have already announced that the M&W on Old Bond St will become a flagship Tudor store (not sure when but I think the announcement was quite a while ago).
SpecialK888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2023, 08:18 AM   #18
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
“build a relationship”

Still gets me every time
Old 20 October 2023, 04:05 PM   #19
Halifax Daytona UK
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Suggestions? Thank you!
Go grey, you will be able to purchase that watch under retail
Old 20 October 2023, 06:43 PM   #20
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Building of relationships takes time and a large number of intangibles because that's how humans behave. When you can walk into a shop/Rolex AD/car dealer/etc. and they greet you by name, ask after you, you family, your watch/car/whatever you bought from them, possibly years ago, you've established "a relationship". If they all look busy or tell you exactly what they said last time, or something completely different, or appear to be reading from an internal script, you either haven't established "a relationship" or you're bugging them.

London is easy to get around, why not do some knocking on doors and see what shakes out? Tone, demeanour, body language, what they say, what they don't say. It ain't rocket science. Just don't over think it and go with your gut. It takes time.

I have not dealt with WOS in London but they've taken plenty of my money on non Rolex purchases down in the South West. Can't fault them at all for service or after sales service.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote