The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2018, 10:15 PM   #1
Cloitus
"TRF" Member

Original Rolex Box importance

Hello TRF, have a quick question if anyone could help me out.

I have a full set 116520 Daytona 2015. The original box is pretty munged up and doesn't even open properly. I am after another box to make it a full set.

My question is, are all modern rolex boxes the same or will I need to hunt down a specific box to make it a 'correct' complete set.

I know this is really picky, but just wondering if it actually matters to have the original box of the watch and if there is a difference to other modern boxes

Kind regards, Cloitus
Cloitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:16 PM   #2
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Does this matter to you or are you trying to sell it?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:26 PM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloitus View Post

I have a full set 116520 Daytona 2015. The original box is pretty munged up and doesn't even open properly. I am after another box to make it a full set.

My question is, are all modern rolex boxes the same or will I need to hunt down a specific box to make it a 'correct' complete set.

I know this is really picky, but just wondering if it actually matters to have the original box of the watch and if there is a difference to other modern boxes

Kind regards, Cloitus
There is no real correct box for most all Rolex watches only perhaps a box type from that period between X&Y years.Most of the SS will come in small boxes watches like the DSSD most times will come in larger boxes but this not always the case.Basically its whatever the AD has at point of sale on his shelf,boxes are made in several parts of the world.So say a box in the USA could have a different numbers to say a box from Europe so any time period small box will do for your Daytona the numbers are not important a box is just a box.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:32 PM   #4
Ian Macdermott
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
If ones buys a new box to replace the original one then surely that's not a "full set"

A bit like having the watch and then buying all the other bits from eBay and selling it as a full set.
Old 11 December 2018, 10:46 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Peter has it right, of course.

And the definition of a “full set” is so ambiguous that the “originality” to the watch itself is beyond tracking. Even the papers/card can be faked - even for a genuine Rolex.

So don’t spend good money for something you just keep in the closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:58 PM   #6
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
I dont have a "full set" for my SD, that box went South years ago and I've no intention of ever spending the insane amounts I see posted on auction sites etc for what will sit in a cupboard while I wear the watch. Papers (as in service (important to know) and if possible, original warranty papers/card) are more important in my opinion when it comes down to moving the watch on to its next keeper. Its always nice to see these things, but a bashed up and milldew covered original box will always be preferable to a new attempt at creating a full set in my opinion.
Old 11 December 2018, 11:10 PM   #7
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
I dont have a "full set" for my SD, that box went South years ago and I've no intention of ever spending the insane amounts I see posted on auction sites etc for what will sit in a cupboard while I wear the watch. Papers (as in service (important to know) and if possible, original warranty papers/card) are more important in my opinion when it comes down to moving the watch on to its next keeper. Its always nice to see these things, but a bashed up and milldew covered original box will always be preferable to a new attempt at creating a full set in my opinion.
I agree. I would just keep the old original box.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 11:34 PM   #8
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’ll play devils advocate here.

Many watch enthusiasts are also collectors at heart. Collectors are a unique breed of people. They enjoy many aspects of the hobby that extends further than just the watch it’s self.

We all know a box is just a box. We know you can’t wear a box. We know the watch is the most important part. But that doesn’t mean that the collecting part of this hobby is invalid or silly or wrong.

If you want a new box, I don’t blame you. I get it. Truthfully, I would to. That’s just how I am. So I would source a period correct box to replace your old one. It has already been mentioned that there is a typical assignment of watches for the size of the box. But it’s not a hard rule as the ADs often just grab whatever is in back. So I would probably be happy with either a small or medium sized period correct box.

As far as what makes up a complete set? Personally it’s nice to know that everything is “original” to the watch. But that’s virtually impossible to know. In fact, I’d submit if you’ve bought a watch from a gray dealer it’s highly likely that items have been added to complete your set without you even knowing. (Dealers often ship without boxes to save in shipping costs.) So as long as it’s period correct it’s good enough for me. Of course this doesn’t apply to the warranty card/papers which would need to be original.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 December 2018, 12:23 AM   #9
Cloitus
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone that replied. TRF members come through again. I will source a period correct box. I would keep the original one but literally the metal is sticking out and needs to be squeezed into the outer box.

When people say period correct, it just means the box that matches in appearance? Not necessarily anything to do with the numbers on the box?
Cloitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:35 AM   #10
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloitus View Post

Kind regards, Cloitus

What is important to you?
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:08 AM   #11
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I just bought a SDDS D-Blue and when they brought out the “small” box, it wouldn’t even fit fully because of the size of the box. Given it was grand opening and I got what I wanted, I didn’t think too much about it. After seeing some YouTube I boxing’s of this watch I learned it should have come in the “large” box. Texted the AD and he said that was his fault and he’d be happy to trade out the box, just bring it in.

Once I do the swap, to the correct size box, will I now not have a complete set? Absolutely not! It’s just a period correct box and will soon be correctly sized for the watch. That said, I bring this up to illustrate that while you may purchase a DSSD from someone in a small box and wonder if they just bought it to make it complete, it is completely plausible and likely that it came that way by mistake.

Cheers from my new DSSD in its current cramped quarters.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:44 AM   #12
ZOOK
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
I just bought a SDDS D-Blue and when they brought out the “small” box, it wouldn’t even fit fully because of the size of the box. Given it was grand opening and I got what I wanted, I didn’t think too much about it. After seeing some YouTube I boxing’s of this watch I learned it should have come in the “large” box. Texted the AD and he said that was his fault and he’d be happy to trade out the box, just bring it in.

Once I do the swap, to the correct size box, will I now not have a complete set? Absolutely not! It’s just a period correct box and will soon be correctly sized for the watch. That said, I bring this up to illustrate that while you may purchase a DSSD from someone in a small box and wonder if they just bought it to make it complete, it is completely plausible and likely that it came that way by mistake.

Cheers from my new DSSD in its current cramped quarters.

Hi Mark,

FYI, the white tag has the reference number and the serial number but also the size box Rolex expects the watch to be placed in when sold, S, M, L. You might point that out the next time you purchase a watch, if the salesperson is going to give you the wrong size box. Unless the suggested box size is small and they are going to give you a medium box, then just be quiet. The small box is too small.

Congrats on the DSSD.
ZOOK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:35 AM   #13
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
What is important to you?
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote