The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 December 2018, 07:02 PM   #1
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
Question to those who own a PM watch on OF- will I get bored of the rubber strap??

Considering buying a wg Daytona 116519, already have the 116500 and was wondering whether the OF strap is a novelty that will soon wear off. If that’s the case I’ll be a little stuck!! For owners of those, what has been your experience please??
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 07:32 PM   #2
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
Considering buying a wg Daytona 116519, already have the 116500 and was wondering whether the OF strap is a novelty that will soon wear off. If that’s the case I’ll be a little stuck!! For owners of those, what has been your experience please??
Not quite the same, however I bought a 116515 on the alligator strap and put it on a Rubber B almost immediately. And no, the novelty of a PM Daytona with a ceramic bezel on a rubber strap never wore off

Remember you have the option to put it on different straps if you want to go the other way.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:23 PM   #3
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

I wear a 116509, white gold with bracelet. For me, it isn't complete without the bracelet. That's how it was designed. I also suspect that, used, not a lot of buyers will fancy a rubber strap, they will probably want the real thing.
I suspect it is the sort of thing that will fall out of fashion. My guess anyway. I can assure you, , either way, it feels a lot better than the ceramic steel model. I stopped wearing that when the 116509 . arrived. You have to experience it to realise how different they feel. A shock at first.
Right now, a used 116509 seems well-priced against the inflation of the 116500. Good time to buy.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:27 PM   #4
peterpl
Banned

I would always pick bracelet over a rubber strap on any model.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 08:37 PM   #5
Rolex Essex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona, DJ & Sub
Why not just buy a rubber strap for your 116500 if you’re worried about getting bored with it and then swap it back to bracelet???
Rolex Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:07 PM   #6
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterskinner View Post
I wear a 116509, white gold with bracelet. For me, it isn't complete without the bracelet. That's how it was designed. I also suspect that, used, not a lot of buyers will fancy a rubber strap, they will probably want the real thing.
I suspect it is the sort of thing that will fall out of fashion. My guess anyway. I can assure you, , either way, it feels a lot better than the ceramic steel model. I stopped wearing that when the 116509 . arrived. You have to experience it to realise how different they feel. A shock at first.
Right now, a used 116509 seems well-priced against the inflation of the 116500. Good time to buy.
Perfect reply and my sentiments entirely.
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 09:36 PM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
A test you can do is pop over to an AP AD in London, Harrods, Selfridges etc, and try out the Royal Oak Offshores as they work best on straps; the ROs and Nautiluses and Subs are best on bracelets. See how they feel to you, I tend to find the manufacturers know what they are doing and put the right straps on their watches.

I had a RG CE Daytona on a leather strap and it worked fine, probably even better on rubber.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:07 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer the bracelet but I understand the appeal of the rubber strap.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 10:08 PM   #9
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve done a YG Daytona on it’s native alligator strap, and then one on OF. For me, the alligator was more comfortable.

But wrists are all different - I must’ve come equipped without OF wrists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 11:18 PM   #10
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I found the OF straps very difficult to find the perfect fit (because the wings can really dig into to your wrist if they are the wrong size).

Luckily, you have the best option of testing it out on your 116500 before committing the the PM OF.

The way I thought about it regarding if the novelty would wear off was by analogy the Audi R8. Did it just look fresh but would tire out or would it continue looking “modern” even after being out years? After months of wearing the OF, I decided for me the novelty did not wear off.

But of course you can decide for yourself after a few months.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 11:22 PM   #11
BzKneez
"TRF" Member

I bought the OF daytona in everose. It's a nice looking watch but after some time with it, i'd rather have a full bracelet.
BzKneez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 11:25 PM   #12
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

I personally like the bracelets on Rolex watches, but buddy of mine at work has a white gold Daytona with the black Oysterflex strap. It's actually really comfortable and the way the Oysterflex is made is quite ingenious. Way more interesting than a simple rubber or leather strap. You've got to try it out.
Old 11 December 2018, 11:26 PM   #13
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
I’m not s gift fold bracelet guy so I think I would prefer the daytona on an OF. But I’m sure a full gold bracelet is very appealing to more people than a rubber strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11 December 2018, 11:42 PM   #14
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
I’ve had my 116519LN coming up on a year and the novelty has not worn off in the slightest This is the most attractive modern Rolex IMO and this is largely thanks to the contrast between the dial, bezel and bracelet. It just works in a way that the 116509 does not. A modern Daytona incorporating all the latest tech while clearly paying homage to the 6263 Big Red. In terms of comfort, as long as the Oysterflex is sized correctly, it’ll be the most comfortable bracelet you’ve worn.

The 116519LN is a future classic - there’s a reason it’s already selling on the grey market for the same price as the 116509.

TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2018, 11:47 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
That's a question only you can answer. It doesn't feel like any other bracelet, IMO, so you're going to have to be the one to gauge once you try it on.

These are my thoughts. If you have a larger collection, I think it's a great change of pace b/c it is so different. Since you have the ceramic version, I believe it would pair up very nicely with it.

I actually think the OF would help you from getting bored with your other bracelets, and if you start to get bored with it, then you switch back. For me, variety is key. I have found a variety of bracelets and straps have really turned the switch for me and my collection....TBH, I was in kind of a stale place one year ago.

As far as all the opinions in this thread go, the 509 guys are gonna come out and say their watch is better, and then the 519 guys will do the same. The truth is, though, there is no better. There is just what will work better for you and your collection.

Whatever happens, my friend, I do believe you need to go in and try it on for yourself. Good luck!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:00 AM   #16
Easy E
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

For $600 you can know for sure. Go buy a OF set from an AD and try it out on your 500 for a while. Personally, I think the OF should be a bundled or add on accessory, not the presented option. I know I'm likely to get lit up for this one, but I find it ridiculous to pay PM prices for a watch that comes on a rubber strap.

I bought an OF set for my sub, it's pretty neat. It's a rotational option for me, there is no way I could wear that daily. Just my .02
Easy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:06 AM   #17
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
I like rubber straps however I'd just as soon chose a watch with a bracelet and purchase and after market rubber strap. I know they won't have the Rolex end links but for a rubber strap I'm happy to have it for summer use. Really don't want one any other time of the year.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:34 AM   #18
shafran
"TRF" Member

I have a 116518

and I love the rubber with ceramic. I also have other watches on bracelets, so its a nice change.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:37 AM   #19
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

I've been wearing my 116519 for only a few days and switched back to my SS BLNR. First thing I noticed was how heavy and chunky it feels! I really like the feel of the Oysterflex and I agree that the steel face provides a very nice contrast to the WG case and steel dial.

I haven't had my 116519 long enough to say if I'll get tired of it or not. I had a Tag Carerra on a rubber strap that I loved, so I don't think the Daytona will be going anywhere.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:42 AM   #20
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

519 is an amazing watch, do it
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:47 AM   #21
HONDABBQ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy E View Post
For $600 you can know for sure. Go buy a OF set from an AD and try it out on your 500 for a while. Personally, I think the OF should be a bundled or add on accessory, not the presented option. I know I'm likely to get lit up for this one, but I find it ridiculous to pay PM prices for a watch that comes on a rubber strap.

I bought an OF set for my sub, it's pretty neat. It's a rotational option for me, there is no way I could wear that daily. Just my .02
Not lighting you up at all.

When you look at the costs of a PM watch that naturally comes on an OF vs a bracelet, the cost is significant. The OF being more cost effective by about 11-12K CAD
HONDABBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 12:47 AM   #22
AdamG
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 digit ref
PM bracelet
AdamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 01:07 AM   #23
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
Visual aid. Tried it on today and left a deposit whilst I think on it.

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg
LPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 01:11 AM   #24
H-Watches
"TRF" Member

Love mine I thought I would miss the full gold bracelet but I don’t. First if love the balance of the black and gold. But second what I have learned is the oyster Flex bracelet when properly fitted. It is the most balanced feel with the weight. Also no anxiety over scratching the bracelet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
H-Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 03:08 AM   #25
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Rubber's hot now. Suspect it allows you to town down what could otherwise be perceived as a senseless show of wealth. Works well anywhere on the casual-to-active spectrum.
Old 12 December 2018, 04:01 AM   #26
fett1972
"TRF" Member

Collect my WG on OF this week. I was in a similar dilemma but my AD made the decision easy by offering me the next SS Daytona. Even without the deal I would still have purchased the 519
fett1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 04:15 AM   #27
hodie9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN,116519LN
I love mine and find it's my most comfortable watch. For me it's also about the aesthetics of it. The steel dial. The red Daytona text. The ceramic bezel that matches the sub dials. But also the different look of the OF.
As for those always stating they can't bring themselves to pay that much for a PM watch on a rubber strap, it's the same as buying an Aquanaut or RO/ROO (which I do have) on a rubber strap but those are mostly in SS for close to the same money. To each their own and I love rubber straps. Just lightens it up and makes it sportier in my opinion.
Old 12 December 2018, 05:35 AM   #28
Thewallin
"TRF" Member

Last 2 watches I had was a white 116500 and 116710LN. Both on bracelet of course.

Admittedly I am not a pcl bracelet guy so given a choice I would always pick something else, how I ended up with 2 watches with the same bracelet is something I just don’t understand :)

Anyway, I sold both watches about 2 moths ago and got the 116519LN and have not regretted it at all. Just like someone above me said, the combination of black bezel, black subdials and the strap just works so well. It is the total package.

Thewallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:22 AM   #29
Bobby T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPan View Post
What does someone else getting bored with something have to do with how you'll feel about it??? Never understand OPs asking others about their opinion on how they'll end up liking something. I understand asking about how comfortable something might be or is this a good trade/ price or not but if you'll like it a year from now or get bored???/
Bobby T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2018, 07:26 AM   #30
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

I really wish that Rolex would have retained the option of leather on Daytona's. Such a classic look, leather is so timeless.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote