The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 October 2018, 01:25 AM   #211
harvey
"TRF" Member

I didn't think this thread would have any traction.
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 01:25 AM   #212
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
The 'screws' in the bezel are fixed in place... You take the bezel off from inside the case. Whereas the screws in the caseback are regular screws, so they don't line up perfectly.
yeah, they are the receiver bits that the screw tightens into from the back. the appearance of it being a screw is aesthetics AFAIK. Either way, you are not tightening it from the front.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 01:26 AM   #213
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
yeah, they are the receiver bits that the screw tightens into from the back. the appearance of it being a screw is aesthetics AFAIK.
Correct
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 02:08 AM   #214
darkside7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C
Hell no
Old 19 October 2018, 02:13 AM   #215
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
The 'screws' in the bezel are fixed in place... You take the bezel off from inside the case. Whereas the screws in the caseback are regular screws, so they don't line up perfectly.
They are called “binding posts.”
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 02:15 AM   #216
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Rolex decided. In all their adverts and by doing it on the Skydweller.

So now OCD is an insult? lol at you "cool" Rolex fans. I bet if Rolex started to make all the crowns the same as the Skydweller, you "doesn't care" folk would change your tune. Like when Rolex made the cases bigger, added the ceramic bezel, changed the bracelet, went to SELs, etc.
The better option and more cost effect would be to remove the emblem off the crown altogether, then everyone's would line somewhere, that's if they supposed to line up with anything.Myself could not give a hoot where the crown emblem is upright or downside up it's a winding crown for winding a watch nothing more.And not something that's must be looked at and checked 24/7 whether its upright or not.Some say that the ceramic inserts and bracelets were functional improvements, cannot see any functional improvement in a upright or downside up winding crown, as no matter where the emblem is, its only function is to wind and adjust the watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 02:17 AM   #217
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The better option and more cost effect would be to remove the emblem off the crown altogether, then everyone's would line somewhere, that's if they supposed to line up with anything.
That’s a valid point, to which I would respond; If it doesn’t matter, and it’s just an aesthetics issue, and as many have mentioned that you can’t see it while you’re wearing it anyway.....why does Rolex embellish the crown at all?
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 02:46 AM   #218
Petern8551
"TRF" Member

Definitely wouldn’t pay extra - I’ve got OCD but it’s not that bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Petern8551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 03:19 AM   #219
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

N
ap1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 03:59 AM   #220
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Watch: IIc,1680 Red,16660
Would you pay more for a correctly oriented crown?

I don’t think wanting an object to be “perfect” is wrong, especially one that establishes its value (and quite an elevated value) by being “perfect”.

I don’t think it’s eye-rollable, bang-head-into-wallable, OCD, or misguided.

If it weren’t “better” when aligned, then I’d challenge Rolex to start shooting marketing photos with coronets off kilter.

The marketing materials entice customers with an image of perfection, so why should it be ridiculous to desire the enticement even though it’s not attainable (reliably)?

TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 04:23 AM   #221
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
I don’t think wanting an object to be “perfect” is wrong, especially one that establishes its value (and quite an elevated value) by being “perfect”.

I don’t think it’s eye-rollable, bang-head-into-wallable, OCD, or misguided.

If it weren’t “better” when aligned, then I’d challenge Rolex to start shooting marketing photos with coronets off kilter.

The marketing materials entice customers with an image of perfection, so why should it be ridiculous to desire the enticement even though it’s not attainable (reliably)?

Perhaps you should read this thread from start to finish to get your answer. Rolex images in advertisements are just that. Marketing images. How many items do you order at a particular restaurant that don't look nearly as appealing as they do in an Ad on the TV. There is no such thing as crown "alignment". It stops turning on the case tube when the O ring stops it. You can argue your point 'till the cows come home, but it is what it is.
And I will add, the OP started this thread, and never jumped back in.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 04:39 AM   #222
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
Perhaps you should read this thread from start to finish to get your answer. Rolex images in advertisements are just that. Marketing images. How many items do you order at a particular restaurant that don't look nearly as appealing as they do in an Ad on the TV. There is no such thing as crown "alignment". It stops turning on the case tube when the O ring stops it. You can argue your point 'till the cows come home, but it is what it is.
Classic BC move, he's back
Old 19 October 2018, 04:39 AM   #223
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Why would you think I hadn’t read it? I’m well aware of the realities of the situation.

We don’t agree on this one. Someone who doesn’t adopt your opinion isn’t automatically misinformed.

This thread is fun, but you’ve somehow got an urge to quiet the dialog... to teach us all how flawed our thinking is. My observation was meant to defend the right to voice the desire without being beaten back with switches.

Old 19 October 2018, 05:00 AM   #224
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Classic BC move, he's back
....and has logged back on as recently as yesterday.
Old 19 October 2018, 05:02 AM   #225
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
AP lines up their screw heads on the front but not the back...can't say I've ever noticed their crowns.

Would it bother you if the screws didn't line up?
Bezel screws are purely cosmetic, non functional.
Old 19 October 2018, 05:13 AM   #226
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Exactly and since they are 6 sided and not round there is no way they could turn anyway!
Old 19 October 2018, 05:24 AM   #227
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
My blnr is pointing up by pure coincidence and I rather like it but in no way would pay for for it to be this way.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 05:28 AM   #228
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
Nope, doesn’t bother me in the slightest. If you care, then take a look at sky-dwellers, I believe they come aligned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amochosto View Post
My Sky-Dweller crown is not aligned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
That's why I bought my RG SkyD, always aligned
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatHarry View Post
Neither is mine, although it is only a SS model, somebody mentioned that the PM SkyD's crown is aligned "correctly". And by the way, no I wouldn't pay anything extra for a "correctly" aligned crown, whatever that means. A mate of mine tells me his Milgauss crown is pointing to the "12" position, i.e. in a horizontal position.
By the way, why is that only the PM SkyD's crowns aligned "correctly the DD is the Flag Ship watch). As far as I can tell/work out, it has nothing to do with the command bezel, more likely, & I'm no watch maker, the position of the crown tube, after insertion into the case and the orientation of the "male" screw threads, with the "female" crown screw threads, would surly determine alignment.
I think that it's kind of quaint that the crown is "off centre" and not "perfect". I can understand that in the Rolex brochures it will be aligned as a marketing ploy. Some wise guy might suggest that Rolex aren't any good, since they can't get the coronet aligned up/down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
Sky-D is always straight up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Rolex decided. In all their adverts and by doing it on the Skydweller.

So now OCD is an insult? lol at you "cool" Rolex fans. I bet if Rolex started to make all the crowns the same as the Skydweller, you "doesn't care" folk would change your tune. Like when Rolex made the cases bigger, added the ceramic bezel, changed the bracelet, went to SELs, etc.

Only PM Sky Dwellers have the crown always up alignment feature. I agree it does define the crown up as the standard. My take is that Rolex must be in financial difficulty in that they haven't made this apart of all their watches. It's a tough market they live in. It's amazing that this topic has over 200 responses. I have a hard time seeing the crown on my watches without the aid of reading glasses. No way I'd notice casually.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 06:10 AM   #229
Norbert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Skydweller.
Norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #230
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Only PM Sky Dwellers have the crown always up alignment feature. I agree it does define the crown up as the standard. My take is that Rolex must be in financial difficulty in that they haven't made this apart of all their watches. It's a tough market they live in. It's amazing that this topic has over 200 responses. I have a hard time seeing the crown on my watches without the aid of reading glasses. No way I'd notice casually.
My eyesight is the same.
Personally i am just thankful our Rolex watches are arguably the most reliable water proof watches on the market. And it's due in part to the patented Rolex Screw down crown as it currently is.

I'm not convinced the PM Skydweller arangement necessarily defines the Coronet up allignment as being the standard, or for that matter even correct.
It does sadly validate it

I thought there will be increased volumes of threads(no pun intended) around the Coronet allignment when the PM Skydweller came out.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 October 2018, 06:39 AM   #231
TheDude
"TRF" Member

https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...39&postcount=6

Old 20 October 2018, 03:41 AM   #232
smym18
"TRF" Member

I've never cared about this.
smym18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 08:15 PM   #233
SearChart
TechXpert

Brand new crown and tube, doesn't line up. Too bad

Old 20 October 2018, 09:22 PM   #234
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Blueface View Post
Quote:
Exactly and since they are 6 sided and not round there is no way they could turn anyway!
AP Royal Oak bezel screws are functional. The hex is locked into the bezel and threads into a hollow screw on the bottom to sandwich the entire case assembly between gaskets. If all eight screws went missing, the case would fall apart. Aligning the bottom screw heads perfectly would be near impossible since there are only two positions where the top screw aligns aesthetically. Misalignment of the lower screw heads happens for the same reason a Rolex tube and crown assembly rarely align.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 10:11 PM   #235
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
No I would not
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2018, 10:34 PM   #236
andyxxx
"TRF" Member

Watch: with confusion
Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Let’s go back to a previous post in this thread.

If this really bothers you wind the crown in until it is tight and back it off to where ever you want.

It will make no difference to water resistance.

There you go....fixed for no cost.

This
andyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:36 AM   #237
phillip ridley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
My first Rolex - a GMT ceramic I bought in 2007 has perfect alignment.

A few years later during a service, Bob Ridley replaced the crown and tube on a 1680 red I had recently purchased.

I asked Bob if he could align it and he educated me that this just wasn’t done, and not in his usual gentle way. If Bob Ridley says no...

APs don’t line up, and let’s be honest - those watches get a ton more TLC during assembly...

I will add that things have changed somewhat with the Rolex case tubes and crowns. I have a 50% chance of lining up the coronet...it is all with the case tube, when the thread catches and/or how much torque is applied.
phillip ridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 12:51 AM   #238
TheDude
"TRF" Member

Would you pay more for a correctly oriented crown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip ridley View Post
I will add that things have changed somewhat with the Rolex case tubes and crowns. I have a 50% chance of lining up the coronet...it is all with the case tube, when the thread catches and/or how much torque is applied.

Interesting feedback Phillip. Your dad shut me down pretty quickly as my post explained. LOL

Does having a 50% chance represent an increase in the likelihood compared to pre-change? Sounds like maybe that’s what you’re saying.

Old 23 October 2018, 01:14 AM   #239
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Brand new crown and tube, doesn't line up. Too bad

I'm not so sure the OP could handle this "imperfection" and would have a meltdown.
Old 23 October 2018, 02:15 AM   #240
Manu77
"TRF" Member

Nope
Manu77 is offline   Reply With Quote