The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 28 October 2018, 05:05 AM   #1
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Yacht Masters gaining time

My first Yacht Master is the mid-size, bought in 2005. Within 2 years, I noticed it was gaining about 2 minutes a week. I took it to Tourneau, the local AD. They tested the watch and told me it was within new watch parameters. It now gains almost 3 minutes a week, and of course, is long out of warranty. I normally wear this watch about 2 months a year. I recently bought full size Yacht Master and after two months of wearing it daily, noticed it was gaining about 2 minutes a week. The AD confirmed it was gaining too much time, and sent it to Rolex in NY. I have not worn it since I got it back. I am not a sedentary person. Any suggestions?
carl3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 05:27 AM   #2
2024 Pledge Member

If you haven't worn it since it returned from Rolex NY then you'll have to wear it and report back.

My only thought is that movements can run faster as the mainspring winds down to the last 10 or so hours of power reserve. If you aren't active enough then you could be in that zone of power and causing a slightly faster rate.

Give your watch 50 full turns of the crown to wind the spring, then monitor it for 24 hours. Check the atom clock at the same hour when you start and the following day. It should be roughly in the +/-2 second range if it's just been regulated by Rolex.
037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 October 2018, 03:14 PM   #3
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post
If you haven't worn it since it returned from Rolex NY then you'll have to wear it and report back.

My only thought is that movements can run faster as the mainspring winds down to the last 10 or so hours of power reserve. If you aren't active enough then you could be in that zone of power and causing a slightly faster rate.

Give your watch 50 full turns of the crown to wind the spring, then monitor it for 24 hours. Check the atom clock at the same hour when you start and the following day. It should be roughly in the +/-2 second range if it's just been regulated by Rolex.

All work done in the good ol’ U.S. of A.
ROLLiWORKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 03:34 AM   #4
Valenciawatchrepair
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 037 View Post

This. If it's still gaining minutes per week you have a problem. Most likely magnetism or oil on the hairspring.
Valenciawatchrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 03:55 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If it's running fast, have it regulated - this ain't rocket science...

Sutter's in Chicago is an RSC, I wouldn't take service work to Tourneau.
Old 29 October 2018, 10:18 AM   #6
carl3150
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenciawatchrepair View Post
This. If it's still gaining minutes per week you have a problem. Most likely magnetism or oil on the hairspring.
For the mid-size watch, it never improved, so I reset it every few days. Maybe that's par for a chronometer.

For the full size, I will be returning home next week and will switch watches to see if it is now running correctly.
carl3150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 04:06 PM   #7
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Ahhh must be a mid size with the cal 2030. Oddly that watch has a magnetic pinion but magnetism can still be in play.

Best to get it checked out and have it timed. Curious to know what the graph looks like. It will tell you a lot.

Old 29 October 2018, 04:42 PM   #8
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post
Ahhh must be a mid size with the cal 2030. Oddly that watch has a magnetic pinion but magnetism can still be in play.

Best to get it checked out and have it timed. Curious to know what the graph looks like. It will tell you a lot.

A 2005 midsize Yacht-master does not have caliber 2035. The 2235 has been in use since 1999 and the 2135 was before that.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 04:46 PM   #9
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLiWORKS View Post

Hi R,

What is a magnetic pinion?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 04:57 PM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hi R,

What is a magnetic pinion?
The seconds hand is attached to a long axle with pinion, this thing is magnetic so that it moves more smoothly when under the bridge.
Rolex developed this as a solution to having a spring pressing on the pinion like in the 15××.
Instead of the spring there is a small bit of iron above the magnetic pinion to insure smooth movement.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 October 2018, 05:40 PM   #11
ROLLiWORKS
"TRF" Member

Haha. Its a YM missed that. Also read it as non chronometer. Single tasker.