The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2019, 03:57 PM   #91
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post

Screws are ground and polished At the factory so each link has its ‘dedicated’ screw. If you place a new screw into a link, it will not be fitted like it would from the factory. Yes, you can refinish the link to make it flush....but just not as nice as the machines. :(

Well this is the thing that separates WIS.
While I agree the factory does a great job, at the end of the day a screw is a screw.

When one worries about the “flushness” of a screw, on the bracelet of the watch which is meant to keep time, we’ve gone a few degrees off the path of collecting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 05:08 PM   #92
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
So what remedy would you have effected had you done this damage yourself?

It is an unfair argument. I have scratched my watch less than a week after buying it. What have I done? Nothing. It still has a small scratch. I did use cape cod later, almost a year after buying a watch and it is pretty much unnoticeable.

But if they sold me a watch with same scratch, I would complain that they sold me a scratched watch. Same for the bracelet sizing of Jordanesque23. It doesn't matter that he could have made same mistake. It is them sizing it and when they size a new watch, one would expect the watch to be in new condition with the exception of having a link or a few links removed.

I am totally fine with dealing with my mistakes, but not mistakes of people who provide me service, I am their client, I pay them, therefore they have to own up and fix it.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 05:11 PM   #93
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

I'd ask for new links and screws and call it a day. Resize yourself in the future to save headaches.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 05:24 PM   #94
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgekart View Post
It is an unfair argument.

I’m not making any argument.

Rather was sharing an example of how we sometimes expect more from others than we expect from ourselves.

I think we sometimes lose sight of proportion when we sense a blunder by another that we’d otherwise forgive had it been self-inflicted.

Old 18 February 2019, 05:44 PM   #95
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
A few new screw pins, a quick touch on the polishing wheel and all good. Don't let your AD correct it
Old 18 February 2019, 05:47 PM   #96
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
When a bracelet is made the screws are put in, tightened down and the heads and the threads stick out/above the outer edge a little bit. Each screw stays in each hole and its sanded down flat with the outer edge and then polished.

You can tell that by the thread end being perfectly flat and polished on one side. The screwdriver end slot you can see where the buffer kinda elongated the slot into the link and they match up perfectly. You can always tell when someone puts the screw back in the wrong link because it doesnt match up perfectly flat.

If you get say 2 links the Jeweler may do a mix and match with parts and it wont look right or be flush. If you get a new bracelet everything will be flush and unmolested. The new bracelet will match up just fine onto your watch head. I wouldnt settle for anything less, but its up to you.

Bas, confirm this for Jim.

I would suggest the OP takes the watch to the nearest RSC and explain the situation.

The AD can then explain the situation to the RSC.

WISH I COULD BE THERE.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 06:10 PM   #97
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Ask for a new bracelet. Settle for new links.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 06:20 PM   #98
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
That’s why I do it myself.
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:13 PM   #99
bezler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I chew up rims all the time so have a wheel expert grinding and polishing every year.

If a dealer’s driver or tech did that, then the fair remedy is to refinish the rim like new. But we can disagree.

The theory of proportionality is to not take advantage of the other person to take more than you’d do for yourself. That is the point I was making.

The theory of proportionality says that he paid for a pristine new watch, and that's what he should have received.

My conversation with this AD would be very short: replace the bracelet, or take the watch back. That's already generous; he's completely within his rights to insist on the new watch he paid for.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 18 February 2019, 09:53 PM   #100
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
It is not good to have this happen but it can be fixed with a couple of new links and screws. Leave the emotion out of it as you will get further with the AD just explaining it and asking for a resolution. The watch will be made right and you can enjoy wearing it for years to come.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:03 PM   #101
DMM_78
"TRF" Member

A couple of things.

1. Most of us really enjoy the watch buying experience and receiving a watch in that condition kind of ruins it.

2. DO NOT allow them to polish your watch. It’s new and therefore should be delivered as such.

3. You can ask for a new bracelet but I agree with others I probably wouldn’t trust them to swap it out and leave the lugs unscathed.

4. Despite what others have said the watch can be returned. Warranty cards can be reissued. It is a bit of a process but that’s their problem, not yours.

5. I’d ask for an exchange or refund period. It’s not an over the top request. You spent a lot of money for a new watch and that’s what you should get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DMM_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:28 PM   #102
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Wow, I’m really sorry that that happened to you, OP. It’s still a gorgeous watch nonetheless but something you shouldn’t have to deal with

Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:04 PM   #103
sherlock40
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 41
This is unacceptable and the AD needs to remedy this one way or another. The watch was purchased brand new, and that is the way you should receive it.
sherlock40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:19 PM   #104
DMM_78
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanesque23 View Post
Just wanted to get your thoughts on what I should do about a brand new (unworn with stickers) white OP 39 that I bought four days ago from an AD. Exchange for a bnew watch or opt for link replacement?

Bought the watch in store and AD offered to resize the bracelet and ship out of state to save on taxes. Upon receiving the package, I inspected the new watch and was disappointed to see that the screw pins got mangled and the links were scratched during the adjustment. I was so disappointed since it's my first time to pay MSRP from an AD. It totally ruined the experience and the excitement of having my first Rolex watch. I was under the assumption that they would take care of the watch during sizing.

I'm heading to the AD tomorrow to discuss the issue but first I want to get your thoughts if it's reasonable for me to ask for a bnew replacement watch or should I just settle for link replacement. Tbh, I'm leaning towards the former since I paid for a bnew watch to ensure that it's free from any blemishes. Also, all the stickers are still in place and haven't worn it yet. I'm worried that they might damage the screws again if I opt for the link replacement.

Attached are some images for your reference. And any inputs and feedback are appreciated. Thanks.

Check the return policy. Most are stated right on the receipt. I know mine is 7 days as long as it’s unworn and hasn’t been altered.

DMM_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:32 PM   #105
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
When a bracelet is made the screws are put in, tightened down and the heads and the threads stick out/above the outer edge a little bit. Each screw stays in each hole and its sanded down flat with the outer edge and then polished.

You can tell that by the thread end being perfectly flat and polished on one side. The screwdriver end slot you can see where the buffer kinda elongated the slot into the link and they match up perfectly. You can always tell when someone puts the screw back in the wrong link because it doesnt match up perfectly flat.

If you get say 2 links the Jeweler may do a mix and match with parts and it wont look right or be flush. If you get a new bracelet everything will be flush and unmolested. The new bracelet will match up just fine onto your watch head. I wouldnt settle for anything less, but its up to you.
Must say I have never heard that screw heads are sanded down at time of manufacture/assembly. I would have thought that reducing the screw head depth in this way might create a problem at a later stage for anyone working on the bracelet? Unless of course the screw head has some additional depth when initally installed by Rolex?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 12:04 AM   #106
Dr Watches
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strafer_kid View Post
I would have thought that reducing the screw head depth in this way might create a problem at a later stage for anyone working on the bracelet? Unless of course the screw head has some additional depth when initally installed by Rolex?

They're a little too long, and then sanded flat.
Dr Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:02 AM   #107
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
New links and screws. And of course, your insistence that someone qualified actually does the job.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:11 AM   #108
Brian Page
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensui View Post
I'd ask for new links and screws and call it a day. Resize yourself in the future to save headaches.
This
Brian Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 03:12 AM   #109
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Wow, that is brutal.
Old 19 February 2019, 03:16 AM   #110
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Let’s be a bit more realistic...
If any of us did this damage ourselves, and the cost of remedy would come out of our own pockets, we wouldn’t rush down to get new links, or a new bracelet, or a new watch. So why would one expect more just because a third party did the damage?

I doubt the AD will do anything beyond moving the links taken out back onto the bracelet to replace the damaged ones and replace the damaged screws. Then polish and/or brush the various parts of the damaged links to look like new.

The links are still functional, would never be noticed once refinished, and be none the worse sitting in a box where they would normally reside until the watch is sold onward.

For those who are outraged at my practicality, please refer to the concept of proportionality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can't believe you are trying to downplay or defend the AD that cobbled up the links and pins on this watch. Your posts are most always the voice of logical reason, but I am big time in disagreement with your rationale on this one. That is a brand new out of the box watch. The OP deserves a watch in perfect new condition. It is not. And it is unacceptable that a Rolex AD does not have the proper Rolex bracelet sizing kit including hollow ground screwdriver and bracelet holding jig to properly do the job without incurring damage.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 05:03 AM   #111
77T

AD damaged screws and links on a new watch. Exchange watch or replace links?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I can't believe you are trying to downplay or defend the AD that cobbled up the links and pins on this watch. Your posts are most always the voice of logical reason, but I am big time in disagreement with your rationale on this one. That is a brand new out of the box watch. The OP deserves a watch in perfect new condition. It is not. And it is unacceptable that a Rolex AD does not have the proper Rolex bracelet sizing kit including hollow ground screwdriver and bracelet holding jig to properly do the job without incurring damage.

Thanks for your comments on my other posts.

I am not defending the AD who made these mistakes. I expect them to make it right.

What I have asked is:
If you had an accident that damaged the links as you’ve seen, what would be your remedy if paying out of your own pocket? Your thoughts?

IMHO, therein lies the most reasonable expectation of remedy by the AD. Those who think it is a false question are welcome to that opinion. Expecting a new watch to replace this one is not proportional.

I don’t mind saying if I did this damage, I would pull the perfectly good extra links out of the box, ask for 2 new screws, and replace the damaged ones. At that point (judging by this AD’s clumsiness) I would not ask for any work by them. I’d wait until the first overhaul, put the damaged links back on, and have the RSC do their magic.

But that is just me. The OP can and should follow his own judgement

Old 19 February 2019, 05:09 AM   #112
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
The ham-fisted incompetent who did the damage needs to have his butt kicked, and kicked HARD.

Not only for the damage, but also because he did not care what he did, and ignored it with an arrogant "so what" attitude. He knew exactly what he was sending out the door. Did he actually expect to get away with this?

I would demand a replacement bracelet or at least NEW parts to replace the damaged ones. I (that's just me) would not accept "reworked" / "repolished" items. OP paid for "new" and that is exactly what he is owed.

My AD's sales rep has been trained, doing bracelet sizing for decades, and you cannot tell your adjusted bracelet has ever been touched.

From the condition of the OP's screw heads, it would appear that the guy did not know about using heat to loosen the loctite, and as a result had a "mighty struggle" with the resizing attempt.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:25 AM   #113
Jordanesque23
"TRF" Member

To give you guys an update, the store manager without any hassles processed the exchange to give me a bnew watch. I am super satisfied with how they handled the situation. Going into the store, I calmly explained the situation and respectfully requested an exchange for the exact same model. I was actually ready to show the photos I shared here and she politely declined saying no need to show and that they are not the kind of store who makes it difficult for their customers and they want us to be satisfied. I was relieved upon hearing those words and thanked her on how she handled the situation. I also requested that they don't resize the watch anymore. To add, the salesperson who butchered the sizing wasn't there.

Anyway, I feel happy about how this got resolved. Pretty disappointing at first but I wouldnt hesitate to deal with the same AD.

Thanks everyone for all the insights shared to this thread. Lesson learned that I should not let anyone size the bracelet and inspect every little detail before handing the payment. I can't wait to wear my first Rolex ��
Jordanesque23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:35 AM   #114
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
To give you guys an update, the store manager without any hassles processed the exchange to give me a bnew watch. I am super satisfied with how they handled the situation. Going into the store, I calmly explained the situation and respectfully requested an exchange for the exact same model. I was actually ready to show the photos I shared here and she politely declined saying no need to show and that they are not the kind of store who makes it difficult for their customers and they want us to be satisfied. I was relieved upon hearing those words and thanked her on how she handled the situation. I also requested that they don't resize the watch anymore. To add, the salesperson who butchered the sizing wasn't there.

Anyway, I feel happy about how this got resolved. Pretty disappointing at first but I wouldnt hesitate to deal with the same AD.

Thanks everyone for all the insights shared to this thread. Lesson learned that I should not let anyone size the bracelet and inspect every little detail before handing the payment. I can't wait to wear my first Rolex ��
Fantastic result. Nicely done

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:37 AM   #115
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Thanks for the update. I'm glad to know they aimed to resolve the situation like any good business would.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:40 AM   #116
chieftd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sub, YM16623
Great news, glad you are getting a replacement. Best of luck.
chieftd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:42 AM   #117
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Happy ending, good for you.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:44 AM   #118
Paul7
Banned

Exactly why I won't pay AD prices to service my watch. Why?
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:51 AM   #119
Rolex.c6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller 116600
Incredible.... How hard can it be to place a screw without wrecking it and scratching the bracelet?
Rolex.c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:53 AM   #120
Simmer007
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Wonderful news! Hope you get the replacement in timely manner.
Simmer007 is offline   Reply With Quote