The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2019, 07:13 PM   #61
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP63 View Post
This 100%

And in addition, the profit over retail being as little as it actually is, is exactly why you should wear it and enjoy it.
we need to get back to getting all or most of your money back as being a win. I love value retention... this investment stuff is different and makes the hobby a lot less fun.

Profit is an entirely different motivator than retaining a good/excellent amount of value
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:22 PM   #62
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
we need to get back to getting all or most of your money back as being a win. I love value retention... this investment stuff is different and makes the hobby a lot less fun.

Profit is an entirely different motivator than retaining a good/excellent amount of value
I agree, its killing the actual enjoyment of owning.
Old 18 February 2019, 07:26 PM   #63
cloudplay
Banned

In the US at least, the "bid" price from well-known resellers for a Seadweller doesn't seem to be much above retail (bobswatches.com quotes $100 less than retail). Probably that's negotiable for NIB, but to make any actual money it seems one would need to sell the watch privately (unless it's a Daytona, BLRO or Sky Blue). At that point it's definitely no longer risk-free, and eventually starts to resemble actual work. Not my cup of tea.
cloudplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:28 PM   #64
Seeking_balance
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126600
Thanks to those who have weighed in and given some sensible thoughts on my question.

In answer to some of the questions, I would not be looking to sell any time soon, two years out is more what I was thinking. Yes, I can afford it. No, I don’t need advice from a financial advisor.

And yes, I realise that brand new in box with all stickers still attached was always going to be more valuable for resale, but the point of my question (perhaps I badly phrased it) is that I had expected that to be the case by miles - at least a couple or few k difference between as good as new and worn, even if lightly. But I had seen suggestions from sources I was not familiar with that they could in fact resale for only a few hundred difference. So I thought, why not ask a forum of actual owners and sellers.

Now I better understand the protocols of this forum I’ll be more careful with my wording in future!
Seeking_balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:32 PM   #65
Seeking_balance
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudplay View Post
In the US at least, the "bid" price from well-known resellers for a Seadweller doesn't seem to be much above retail (bobswatches quotes $100 less than retail). Probably that's negotiable for NIB, but to make any actual money it seems one would need to sell the watch privately (unless it's a Daytona, BLRO or Sky Blue). At that point it's definitely no longer risk-free, and eventually starts to resemble actual work. Not my cup of tea.
Thanks, very useful. Wow, do they have a big bid/offer spread!
Seeking_balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:41 PM   #66
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

A lot can happen in a few years to the watch market. It’s quite evidently in a bubble at the moment. There’s no guarantee it will still be in the bubble in a few years. So just be willing to keep hold of it indefinitely if in a few years it isn’t worth what you paid for it. Odds are it will be, but nobody really knows. It’s why people will tell you that watches aren’t an investment.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:00 PM   #67
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Unworn with all stickers in place preferably with a blank warranty card always commands a huge premium over worn.

Don't let asking prices on chrono or elsewhere from private sellers fool you. Plenty people think they have a unicorn

As a private seller you will never be able to get the same price for a watch as a well known seller. Many potential buyers, myself included, don't even consider going that route. Not worth the hassle, gladly I pay more from a trusted source.

Just wear and enjoy it and forget about the finances, it's anybody's guess
Old 18 February 2019, 08:19 PM   #68
Left_at_the_lights
"TRF" Member

You purchased it at Heathrow, so presumably duty free?

Don't forget to factor tax/duty payable on return to the UK into your calculations. You will probably find it's not worth the bother of trying to sell it.
Left_at_the_lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:30 PM   #69
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
As others have said I doubt you will make the profit you are seeing on sites such as Chrono24 and Watchfinder. I have sold watches to WF and they offered between 20%-30% less than the prices they sell them for.

I would look at it from the point of view that you wont loose money but probably wont make much, if any either - so wear it and enjoy it!
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:35 PM   #70
Left_at_the_lights
"TRF" Member

Is anyone going to admit to paying 12 grand for a Sea Dweller or can we assume these prices are just chancers trying their luck...?

As the OP has found these aren't too tricky to track down so why anyone would pay a premium for a second hand one escapes me...
Left_at_the_lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:36 PM   #71
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_balance View Post
Thanks to those who have weighed in and given some sensible thoughts on my question.

In answer to some of the questions, I would not be looking to sell any time soon, two years out is more what I was thinking. Yes, I can afford it. No, I don’t need advice from a financial advisor.

And yes, I realise that brand new in box with all stickers still attached was always going to be more valuable for resale, but the point of my question (perhaps I badly phrased it) is that I had expected that to be the case by miles - at least a couple or few k difference between as good as new and worn, even if lightly. But I had seen suggestions from sources I was not familiar with that they could in fact resale for only a few hundred difference. So I thought, why not ask a forum of actual owners and sellers.

Now I better understand the protocols of this forum I’ll be more careful with my wording in future!

In defence of the members who seemed to (or did actually) call you out, you have to take in to account how they read this thread.

You were heading out on vacation, and your hankering seems to be as a result of a friend who bought Rolex purely as investment pieces, you were lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time to actually buy a sought after watch, with your original expectation to make 50% on your initial purchase (I can assume it was purchased at rrp minus tax as you were leaving the UK?).

You then state that it is "unworn so far", so the natural conclusion is that you hoped to sell and cash in .... nothing wrong in that, its a free world, you wont be the first or the last to do so, I'm sure.

However, to continue backing the members assumption up, you then you stated that your most expensive watch to date was a £100+ Seiko, so its fair to say a lot of people regarded you not as a WIS, but as a flipper who simply wanted some reassurance regarding how much you should expect to make.

For most, if not all, of the members here, that watch would have been on their wrist as they left the AD, the £100 Seiko in the bottom of the bag, and the new watch enjoyed for what it was during the vacation, adding to the memory of the purchase. I can guarantee you would have been welcomed with open arms by the forum if you said that in your original post.

In a nutshell, could you make a profit if you sold it now as unworn? Yes.
Would it be 50% over MSRP? Nope, and nowhere near that.
Will you make a profit in 2 years? Who knows?

Enjoy your watch .... in the current market, you are lucky to have landed it.
Old 18 February 2019, 09:02 PM   #72
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sell the watch. Unless they change the Red ‘Seadweller’ to white, this watch will be worth more now, unworn, during a “shortage” than being a worn example in the future. All bets are off if the font color changes, but who knows what Rolex will do.

This watch is not all that hard to find through AD, mainly because Seadwellers just aren’t that popular compared to other SS references. Even the 5 digit SD are valued noticeably less than their Sub Date and GMT brethren, so historically it is a bit of a softer reference. The previous SD C has been hyped value wise by the market sellers since it’s has a limited run after being abruptly discontinued, but the buzz just isn’t anywhere near the Daytona, Pepsi, Hulk, BLNR...etc.

So, take the money now and move on.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:06 PM   #73
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
You'll retain some value but will hardly make significant money, if at all.

Selling privately and making a gain is no easy task. The SD43 would have to become hot which is not really the case at the moment, it has deflated from the initial craze in fact. In the long run you might gain if people decide it's a collector's, being an anniversary edition like the Sub 16610LV is.

Too early to know if it's a "worthwhile investment" i.e. offering a yield of 7% a year which equates to doubling value after 10 years.

I bought my SD43 at retail at launch. It's gained 20% in almost 2 years but if I was to sell it to a reseller right now, they would probably give me retail for it, so no gain. If I sell privately I would probably be offered retail too.

They way I see it, it's better to enjoy wearing it with the bonus of having some decent value retention, which is very different from actually making money. If you're in it to speculate, then it's a long waiting game of many years hoping for it to be discontinued and sought after.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:14 PM   #74
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

I have 3 rolex watches. I wear all of them. I'll wear my yachtmaster everose if I'm going out at night, I wear my steel sky-dweller during the day and I wear my submariner hulk if I'm doing something active. I could easily have kept them with their stickers on in their boxes and watched them increase in value but if that's all I wanted I could have just invested the money in the latest wall street stock. No, I wanted to enjoy my investment too. Yes I realise that they might not go up in value as much had they stayed pristine and untouched but surely that is not the point of owning a luxury watch. If you don't like the watch you have, then sell it and let someone else enjoy it instead. However, if you do, then make sure you stick it on your wrist and don't be afraid to get the odd scratch. It adds authenticity to it. How sad it would be if you just locked it away never to be seen again. I'm afraid that's what so many so called, "watch lovers" do. I would love a daytona and the day I get one, the stickers will be off and I'll have it on my wrist, guaranteed!
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:43 PM   #75
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
I wear the hell out of mine! Just added a Rubber B. Wear it and don’t look back!
Nice strap, I have a similar red sided one on my AP ROO and a yellow sided one on my Breitling Seawolf, love this style.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:02 PM   #76
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I would not buy a watch with the expectation of selling later on for a profit.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:07 PM   #77
trelane
"TRF" Member

Watch: Apple Series 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregShakeshaft View Post
I have 3 rolex watches. I wear all of them. I'll wear my yachtmaster everose if I'm going out at night, I wear my steel sky-dweller during the day and I wear my submariner hulk if I'm doing something active. I could easily have kept them with their stickers on in their boxes and watched them increase in value but if that's all I wanted I could have just invested the money in the latest wall street stock. No, I wanted to enjoy my investment too. Yes I realise that they might not go up in value as much had they stayed pristine and untouched but surely that is not the point of owning a luxury watch. If you don't like the watch you have, then sell it and let someone else enjoy it instead. However, if you do, then make sure you stick it on your wrist and don't be afraid to get the odd scratch. It adds authenticity to it. How sad it would be if you just locked it away never to be seen again. I'm afraid that's what so many so called, "watch lovers" do. I would love a daytona and the day I get one, the stickers will be off and I'll have it on my wrist, guaranteed!
This whole “not wearing” thing is a bit lost on me. I went from an Apple Watch to my Rolex and I was ready to wear it out of the store (which I did). This seems like a reverse FOMO. I’m already eyeing a second watch now, an Omega Seamaster, cause I like the aesthetics and it’s availability. Not sure how resale value calculates into this. At the end of the day, it’s a watch. I didn’t buy my wife’s engagement ring thinking of resale value either.
trelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:34 PM   #78
Jojoshop
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
few months ago my AD had a deep sea and I did bring this up in this forum with AD name. 1) I don’t think it is that rare and 2) I won’t buy it if I’m not going to wear it.
I tried it and it was really big. It just doesn’t fit my daily style and small wrist for the watch
be careful with linking watches to investment. They are toys, true they hold their values a bit but sure not an investment.
Jojoshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:40 PM   #79
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Quote:
New to this forum, which seems to be the best populated Rolex forum around.

I have hankered after a Rolex for a while, and recently became friends with someone who has a couple for investment. On the way to NZ on holiday I jokingly asked the Rolex AD at Heathrow T4 whether they had a DeepSea - and they did! They also had a 126600 Sea Dweller which I liked better on my wrist, as the DeepSea was just too thick and bulky.

So I now find my self the owner of a brand new, boxed, unworn (so far) Sea Dweller watch that I now see is supposedly sellable for more than half again what I paid for it, and I am now wondering whether to hold it for resale some time down the line.

I have looked it up on a few grey sites and the suggestion (at Chrono24 at least) is that they are worth pretty much the same for resale worn as unworn, though I assume worn means still in excellent condition.

As I bought it to wear I plan to wear it, but I would be keen to understand other members’ view as to whether this will materially devalue what I could sell it for a year or two down the line, when I plan to have bought a Daytona, which would have been my ideal buy.

Is it fair to assume that as these watches are for sale online for almost £12,000 that is what they actually sell for in the aftermarket, and is it really the case that worn it would fetch almost as much?
Can I ask what you paid for the SD43 at Heathrow T4
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:41 PM   #80
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

You're going to get a lot of criticism for purchasing watches as investments. I think the reasons for this are numerous. In the past, getting stainless steel professional models wasn't very difficult. Right now there seems to be a shortage (for which people have offered many explanations). As a result, it's likely very true that if someone can buy a Submariner or GMT-Master II at MSRP, they can likely resell it for more than they paid. The flaw in this logic is that your money may be tied up. There may be investments in other things which offer a better return. Rolex may also increase production significantly without significant change in the model you purchased making it less valuable. What is going on right now isn't how things have always been and it may not be how things will be forever.

Then there's the unspoken notion in watch collecting that one should only purchase something that someone intends to wear. If it is difficult to get a particular model at the moment, it might be seen as rude to snatch it up only to hold onto it. This is not exactly how I feel. I'm more in the camp that if you buy something, you should use it. Rolex isn't stock or a Roth. Just my two cents on the subject.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:43 PM   #81
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Hope you're wearing it by now!
Old 18 February 2019, 11:54 PM   #82
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Nice strap, I have a similar red sided one on my AP ROO and a yellow sided one on my Breitling Seawolf, love this style.
Thanks Neil! Watch is much more wearable with the Rubber B for me now and love the look
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 02:13 AM   #83
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Big reason I find myself spending less and less time on this forum and especially this sub forum.

Does it do anything? It tells the time.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 02:22 AM   #84
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
I would think that for an SD43 to appreciate significantly it's going to take 10+ years. There is still some pent up demand as initial supply of a new model never meets demand, so folks pay a premium to get it now. As supply catches up with that demand over the next year or two I would expect the premium to shrink and eventually vanish. Gray market sellers will eventually offer them at discounts to move them.

If Rolex suddenly cancels/discontinues the model then the price may pop. How much depends on how many of that watch are out in circulation.
Old 19 February 2019, 02:38 AM   #85
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

The problem is new collectors want to buy modern Rolex and sit on it like an investment. Or are super concerned with value 10,20,30 years from now. There will never be a modern Paul Newman Daytona type demand again. Ever. The amount of watches produced are going to change what vintage looks like in 40-50 years. Buy what you like, but if you are flipping watches you could be wearing to make a grand or two. What happens when you can’t get that watch again? Unless you have an open source of watches at msrp, i would recommend wearing it and forgetting about the flip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 06:19 AM   #86
Seibei
Banned

Watch: 114060
Wear it, but make sure to keep the box and all the papers, tags, etc. Having the complete set of these will make life much easier for you should you one day wish to sell your watch. Keep them all in the same place, in the box.
Seibei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 06:48 AM   #87
Otto
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona and others
Quote:

Welcome aboard. There was nothing wrong with your initial question. If your ultimate goal is a Daytona, your current watch should get you a long way there in terms of paying for the Daytona when you find one. Since you said you intend to wear your new watch, I will say I have always worn my watches and have never had a problem with them retaining value.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 07:16 AM   #88
t65tampa
"TRF" Member

Firstly, I only buy a watch if I like it and want it. Secondly, I don't buy a watch as an investment.
Old 19 February 2019, 07:29 AM   #89
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
It is true that a lot of us have bought and sold but I've yet to see a recommendation to bung a new watch in the safe to maximize resale. It's pretty much universally held that wearing a watch is better than squeezing as much profit as possible out of it by sealing it up for the future enjoyment of the highest bidder. I'd have to agree.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2019, 08:16 AM   #90
Robertolewis
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Thanks, at last an actual answer to my question. And some thoughts to support my own re the process of selling.

To be clear, I bought this watch to wear. But seeing that it is so sought after that it is already “worth” more than I paid for it has given me pause. The most expensive watch I ever owned before this is a Seiko which cost me £106, so having an 8 grand watch is a big deal, and not something I imagined would ever happen.

All I wanted to know/confirm is whether wearing it would massively reduce future selling price, which I had fully assumed it would, and am fine with that. But looking online it seems that maybe that is not the case, and the possible future resale value would not be much less than if I had never worn it.

But as you say, it seems that thinking about this ahead of time is a no-no, yet selling to widen a collection or to get a different watch that “speaks more to me” is fine.

And this on a forum with a classified section with thousands of want and sell notices!
If you like this watch, which it sound like you do and the reason you purchased it?

Wear it, love it and become part of the other sick people in this community.

If you get down the road and its not everything you dreamed of, sell it and just try and get back to even $ and go a different direction.

It happens, you buy a watch that may be a hard piece to get and after you have it on the wrist for a while, the tastes change and personal preference gets all jacked up and you don't even know what you are thinking because you are so far away from where you started and thats part of the fun.

Cheers.
Robertolewis is offline   Reply With Quote