The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 January 2018, 03:41 AM   #31
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I think it's not a popular watch and the release of the SD43 may play a role. I still love my SD4000 though
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 03:59 AM   #32
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=lhawli;8200991]In relative terms, it wasn’t the most successful model and most people preferred the Sub. I don’t see that changing at all and now with the new SD43, the ones with bigger wrists have that to chose from where is the Sub is still the most popular.

PS. Not directed at OP but I’m really perplexed by the fascination people have with the thought of investments in watches. Even the LVc, BLNR, SD43 and DayC can still be had at MSRP. Only reason people paying over is the fact that they are not patient enough to wait for it at an AD. And if i think of the Pepsi, Coke and Kermit - they went up in value but after how many year and by how much? I can think of a few better ways to invest your $10k.
__________________________________________________ ____

Not directed at OP but I’m really perplexed by the fascination people have with the thought of investments in watches.

Quite the contrary indeed. Many classic models have appreciated substantially the past nine to ten years. GMT 16710s have risen 120% or more, the same goes for the Submariner 16610LV and Submariner 16610s are up at least 100%. Several vintage models are up 200%-300%.

Buying right can reap future rewards indeed.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 04:34 AM   #33
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

It prob won’t go back down but it prob won’t go up much either. Only time will tell.
Old 20 January 2018, 04:53 AM   #34
lhawli
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=springer;8201947]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
In relative terms, it wasn’t the most successful model and most people preferred the Sub. I don’t see that changing at all and now with the new SD43, the ones with bigger wrists have that to chose from where is the Sub is still the most popular.

PS. Not directed at OP but I’m really perplexed by the fascination people have with the thought of investments in watches. Even the LVc, BLNR, SD43 and DayC can still be had at MSRP. Only reason people paying over is the fact that they are not patient enough to wait for it at an AD. And if i think of the Pepsi, Coke and Kermit - they went up in value but after how many year and by how much? I can think of a few better ways to invest your $10k.
__________________________________________________ ____

Not directed at OP but I’m really perplexed by the fascination people have with the thought of investments in watches.

Quite the contrary indeed. Many classic models have appreciated substantially the past nine to ten years. GMT 16710s have risen 120% or more, the same goes for the Submariner 16610LV and Submariner 16610s are up at least 100%. Several vintage models are up 200%-300%.

Buying right can reap future rewards indeed.

Are you factoring in the fact that you waited 10 years for that appreciation minus the inflation rate. Not saying it’s not a positive investment, just not the best!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:14 AM   #35
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
I bought one for 6k just 18 months ago. The same place now sells them for more then 9k. That's more than a 50% jump. Not all that bad, surely.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:25 AM   #36
dave023
"TRF" Member

Watch: Classics
Patience...
dave023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 05:58 AM   #37
TitanCi
"TRF" Member

I paid $8,1 (?) for mine at the end of 2016. Now they're selling at MSRP. I'd say that's a healthy jump for a watch that was selling below MSRP just a year or so ago.

Personally, I'd never sell this one. It's too great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TitanCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 06:04 AM   #38
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Search in the For Sale forum; early sales pricing was in the <$9K current are in the >$10K. Midway they were in the <$8K range. Seems like prices have increased!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 06:20 AM   #39
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Search in the For Sale forum; early sales pricing was in the <$9K current are in the >$10K. Midway they were in the <$8K range. Seems like prices have increased!!!
And they will continue to do so. These will follow same trajectory as the 16610LV. Up, up, up, up

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 10:26 PM   #40
SamP
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680/8 & '88 16528
Quote:
In relative terms, it wasn’t the most successful model and most people preferred the Sub. I don’t see that changing at all and now with the new SD43, the ones with bigger wrists have that to chose from where is the Sub is still the most popular.

Interesting point, however when most people mention investment re Rolex SS models, I believe they really mean hold their value well.
So buy for 10k, sell for 9k three years later. That not an investment, but didn’t lose much money and had the benefit of wea4 fo4 three years.
SamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2018, 11:10 PM   #41
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Simply because Rolex discontinues what was an unpopular and low selling model to begin with doesn’t mean it should or will skyrocket in price.
ronricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 12:34 AM   #42
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave023 View Post
Patience...
Agreed. Long term I think it will appreciate. Same with the mk1 Explorer. But it's going to take a long time. If you have one, enjoy it. It's a great watch.
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 12:35 AM   #43
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Simply because Rolex discontinues what was an unpopular and low selling model to begin with doesn’t mean it should or will skyrocket in price.
Desirability (popularity) and sales volume don't necessarily track. Many would like a Platona however the pricing is prohibitive. I feel the same with the SDs. Maybe more desirable but less purchased because of the up charge over the Sub and Sub Dates. Now that they're limited by end of life sales it means that their more worth owning due to the limited supply. I wonder what would happen with Platona sales if they stopped producing them. I personally always wanted a SD bit in comparison to the 114060/14060 didn't want to spend the extra.

Old 21 January 2018, 05:48 AM   #44
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Because at 40mm, most people prefer the Sub. The SD4K was criticised from day one for a series of features, namely thicker case, protruding crystal, misaligned end links. Not a popular watch.

A paralel could be drawn with the Yacht-Master 116622 platinum dial, manufactured between 2013 and 2016, an equally short production run. Its value has not sky rocketed because it's never been a sought after piece for most enthusiasts. Preowned price has been slowly increasing though. There might be a small fan club for the monochromatic and versatile look after all.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 06:00 AM   #45
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
Because at 40mm, most people prefer the Sub. The SD4K was criticised from day one for a series of features, namely thicker case, protruding crystal, misaligned end links. Not a popular watch.
All its most endearing features. Pretty hard to have increased water resistance without increased thickness. If you can find away you might let Rolex know. I love its aspect ratio in all aspects (lugs, case thickness, and protruding crystal)!!! I guess most never envisioned it as the end of the line for traditional Sea Dwellers!

Old 21 January 2018, 06:04 AM   #46
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
That's right. After all the poor selling and unpopular Explorer 2 1655 and Milgauss 1019 never went up in value....oh wait a minute, they did.

Collectiblity is a funny thing. The SD4K has gone up a bit and may stagnate or take off, who knows. Really hard to predict the future.
Old 21 January 2018, 07:14 AM   #47
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
Quote:

Well said
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 09:07 AM   #48
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
[QUOTE=lhawli;8202094]
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post

Are you factoring in the fact that you waited 10 years for that appreciation minus the inflation rate. Not saying it’s not a positive investment, just not the best!

Preowned "Batmans" or 116710 ceramics will not be $19,000 (at $120% appreciation) in another four or five years, inflation or no inflation.

Nine years ago preowned 16710 GMT II sets were selling for around $3600-$3800.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 10:24 AM   #49
joejoe1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
It will go up!!!

Nicest Modern Diver - in my opinion!!!

Old 21 January 2018, 10:34 AM   #50
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe1225 View Post
It will go up!!!

Nicest Modern Diver - in my opinion!!!

This thread is ridonkulous. 16610's bnib or unpolished are selling for more than what they sold for.

The 116600 is as no brainer as it gets. Its a 10000000000% lock to hold its value and increase significantly. Duh

The simple fact the Seadweller truly is a 40mm watch with no cyclops makes the 116600 THE last TRUE seadweller. SD43? nope....extra large sub...to refer to as a seadweller is blasphemous.

16610LV was selling for UNDER msrp first 2years once discontinued. This past year has shown extreme increases because of something Rolex has never done before and rampant speculation. Once the dust settles it does not change the simple fact that the SD4K has the shortest run in modern rolex history. History.

SD43 getting rid of red text?

SD4K. The last of the true sea dweller.
Old 21 January 2018, 10:41 AM   #51
aquatimerfla
Banned

A true Legend.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ce-116600.html

For those that felt somewhat alienated by the Sea-Dweller Deep Sea, the reference 116600 came as a relief, as it sported the exact same case diameter as the very first Sea-Dweller from 1967.
Old 21 January 2018, 10:44 AM   #52
ragingcao
"TRF" Member

Watch: cha talking about?
Because it's missing a cyclop
ragingcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 10:48 AM   #53
aquatimerfla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingcao View Post
Because it's missing a cyclop
How can a 50th anniversary be 43mm when at no point in SD history did Rolex have a 43mm case?

SD4K is the true last of the seadweller model and shortest run in modern rolex history.
Old 21 January 2018, 11:12 AM   #54
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoddu View Post
After scrolling through the "Modified Rolex" thread and seeing everybody post pictures of their Rolex without a Cyclops as well as the current SS boom we've had I'm curious...

Why hasn't the SD4K's value rose much? From my knowledge it appears to be a short production run for the world of Rolex ('14-'17)?

Would love to hear opinions as to why you believe the value hasn't gone crazy the past few months, and do you think it will ever?

Happy Friday!
No red on dial.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 11:14 AM   #55
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTX I View Post
Exactly. JKWatchstore is asking 11.5k for one. That's a huge jump.
Asking!!
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2018, 12:42 PM   #56
aquatimerfla
Banned

The Importance of Sea-Dweller 4000

Not only is the Sea-Dweller 4000 ref. 116600 the model that brought back the Sea-Dweller collection, but it’s also the last one to keep traditional Sea-Dweller design elements prior the big changes that the brand new ref. 126600 brought about. And for these reasons, the Sea-Dweller ref. 116600 is an important reference in the history of this Rolex diver’s watch collection. Its significance will be further emphasized thirty years down the road when it becomes a vintage Sea-Dweller.

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...ef-116600.html
Old 21 January 2018, 09:00 PM   #57
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
Could not agree more.
Old 21 January 2018, 09:06 PM   #58
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjogger View Post
Could not agree more.
Justification for their obsession!!!

Old 21 January 2018, 11:14 PM   #59
arizonapaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: All 3 Sea-Dwellers
Great thread, .many good points and many not so good points in my humble opinion.
Being fortunate to have acquired the SD D-blue, the Sd4k 116600, and the SD43 within the last 18 months, it is somehow a special feeling when I chose to wear the SD 4K 116600 for that particular day.
It just feels like a part of Rolex history now, and again, that's just my humble opinion but love it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Rolex TT Sub-
Rolex SD4000
Omega Ploprof 1200 m
Panerai 510
Panerai 785 set-NIB
Rolex Airking
arizonapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2018, 12:35 PM   #60
JCC296
2024 Pledge Member

SD4K price has gone up quite significantly in the last 12 months and the trend will continue. The 116600 reference is the last of the traditional SD (40mm and no cyclops). The matte dial is also my personal preference over glossy dial.
JCC296 is offline   Reply With Quote