The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 February 2018, 02:24 PM   #91
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorA View Post
The SD43 is steaming the thunder and there are a lot of compitetion from similar rolexes
Why not share the limelight?I will show you guys another masterstroke by a Malaysian grey dealer on how to sell the SD4K in the local eBay market. You add on the SD43 (2017) with the SD4K (2015) in a package deal worth about US $24750
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 03:37 PM   #92
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
^^^Pricey^^^
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 11:40 PM   #93
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
dunno that that's a masterstroke, there's likely far more buyers want either, than both.
Maybe your market is different over there...

Anyhow, I think the sellers are testing the waters, there used to be relatively few SD's on the secondary market, partly because fewer many were sold, but I think the original buyers were more deliberate in making the choice of SD over the Sub, hence less likely to flip.

The price has jumped up as the supply is now officially more finite, but once every collector who simply must have one, has one, I don't see it getting that much higher...
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 07:23 PM   #94
Speeder757
"TRF" Member

Hi TRF,

Don't mean to thread jack. Ive been off the forums for quite sometime, so i am completely out of touch with the market.
I have a mint SD4K still under warranty from AD, with receipt and warranty card from AD, all papers, box, links, tags, etc etc. Only worn a handful of times. I have no idea what these are going for now. How much do you realistically think i could sell this for? I am building a new home and need to sell somethings. Where would be best place to list/sell my watch? The buy/sell here, eBay, ? I don't have a track record of selling anything on here or eBay. I don't usually sell my stuff.

Thanks!
Speeder757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:26 PM   #95
teo
"TRF" Member

When kermit submariner discontinued in 2010 price also never skyrocket much. It is only after 7years in 2017 price starts to move up fast. I think SD4k has alot more potential due to it's super short production years.
teo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 February 2018, 09:29 PM   #96
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeder757 View Post
Hi TRF,

Don't mean to thread jack. Ive been off the forums for quite sometime, so i am completely out of touch with the market.
I have a mint SD4K still under warranty from AD, with receipt and warranty card from AD, all papers, box, links, tags, etc etc. Only worn a handful of times. I have no idea what these are going for now. How much do you realistically think i could sell this for? I am building a new home and need to sell somethings. Where would be best place to list/sell my watch? The buy/sell here, eBay, ? I don't have a track record of selling anything on here or eBay. I don't usually sell my stuff.

Thanks!
check https://www.watchrecon.com/?query=116600 to get an idea of current pricing
asiparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2018, 05:53 PM   #97
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
The prices have increased significantly since it was discontinued, they were pretty low from a 'used' perspective previously.

I have never known a watch divide opinion on this forum as much as the SD4K. I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and didn't care about the premium over the Sub. The Sub is too square, too common, and too boring for me - there, I said it! I'm now preparing for pelters for daring to be critical of the iconic Sub, but for me the current shape is not going to be a classic (btw, I did have one at one point and flipped it after a couple of months).

Those that loved the Sea Dweller (like me) absolutely love it and will happily talk about the many differences to the Sub (10 at quick count). Those that don't like it will say it is top heavy, and no way worth the premium over the Sub (although I've never heard anyone moan about paying a premium for a different colour bezel and dial on a Sub).

Personally, I think it is a future classic and will be fully appreciated in 20 years time. But for now, it remains mostly unpopular with anyone who doesn't have one. And I like that!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2018, 02:16 AM   #98
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

I remember buying my new SD4K at full AD retail in Dec 2016 and recall seeing that TS/grey and pre-owned versions were going for $9k and $7k, respectively
That said i loved the SD4k case and look and really disliked the "square" sub (surprisingly my BLNR doesn't have the same evoke the same "square" angst to my eyes).

Now I'm at quick glance I'm seeing BNIB and pre-owned north of $9k and higher, which is a pretty healthy gain in % since the time the sd4k was discontinued

As to your skyrocket question, I'd say give it 20-30 years ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 03:09 AM   #99
Portzed
"TRF" Member

Watch: My 1st 60's Timex
I have just done a trade on 2 unworn 'babies' from my watch-box and as an ex-16600 user of many years I just had to get this 18 month old beauty to be worn as my daily 'go-to' watch just as the old one was for 12 years or so...It sits lower than the old 16600 but has 'just enough of' a nice heft that reminds you of it's presence. Its been home 2 hours now and has already carved a chunk out of the staircase wall plaster. Now to explain to Mrs Portzed....she will definitely say "you had one like that years ago, why buy another one? you only paid £1617 in 1990"
Portzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:03 AM   #100
clock
Banned

The original Milgauss, 1655 and manual Daytona’s were unpopular in their day and now highly collectible. The Kermit and 16710’s were relatively unpopular and now going for almost double original msrp.
One would think there is a decent chance the SD 4K will also become collectible.
clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 04:45 AM   #101
MJ8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Although a beautiful watch - I can possibly put it down to the fact that it is a big watch and probably too big for most wrists. A reason why I haven't ever considered it
MJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 05:20 AM   #102
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawli View Post
In relative terms, it wasn’t the most successful model and most people preferred the Sub. I don’t see that changing at all and now with the new SD43, the ones with bigger wrists have that to chose from where is the Sub is still the most popular.

PS. Not directed at OP but I’m really perplexed by the fascination people have with the thought of investments in watches. Even the LVc, BLNR, SD43 and DayC can still be had at MSRP. Only reason people paying over is the fact that they are not patient enough to wait for it at an AD. And if i think of the Pepsi, Coke and Kermit - they went up in value but after how many year and by how much? I can think of a few better ways to invest your $10k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't buy watches as an investment, but the fact that they hold their value or increase sometimes is important to me, just in case I need to sell them to pay for something more important (have done it before).

The fact that I have a Daytona C and an SD4K which have both done well value wise over the past 12 months, helps with wife approval for further purchases!! I don't currently plan to sell either, but as someone who's not super-wealthy, future value is a consideration for me when making buying decisions.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 28 February 2018, 05:24 AM   #103
Xerxes77
Banned

The price rise put not too much!
But in few years maybe we see something spectaculare!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 05:32 AM   #104
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
Probably because it was never popular when it was available...why would it suddenly become popular now it's discontinued?
It was always very expensive compared to its nearest cousin the Submariner - I can only assume people just weren't prepared to pay the premium for an escape valve they were never likely to use.
Obviously, there will always be the die hard Sea Dweller fans that would pay for the privalidge but not enough of them for Rolex to continue producing a watch that just wasn't selling in significant numbers.
Not fact, just my thoughts

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think you're probably right. I'm a die hard SD fan and love my SD4K but the reality is that it wasn't a good seller. I suspect it will boom in value many years from now as it was a relatively low volume model and very short production run. But will take a long time!!

The thing I've always found strange was the price complaint on this forum. I paid £6,900 for mine and a Sub at that point was £5,700 so I paid a £1,200 premium.

For me, the SD is a very different watch to the Sub. It has the escape valve, thicker case, deeper case-back, thicker crystal, no date magnifier, slimmer lugs, shaped crown guards, divers extension, waterfall bracelet, Aaron dial, and a far superior depth rating.

It may well be that lots of people don't care about these differences, or perhaps even worse, don't like them, but it does make it quite a different watch to look at and wear (I've previously owned a 116610 so feel well placed to comment).

Is £1,200 too much for these differences, maybe. But, it seems a tiny premium compared to the £600 premium people paid for a different colour bezel and dial for the LV over the standard LN...and yet I've never heard of anyone questioning the merit of paying that premium!

The facts speak for themselves, people weren't prepared to spend the extra cash on the SD...so I'm in a minority here...but it's a bugbear of mine nonetheless!!

Old 28 February 2018, 05:59 AM   #105
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Can’t stand the way the bracelet endlinks do not sit flush with the case on the 40mm SD. Sloppy.
Old 28 February 2018, 06:16 AM   #106
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
The 116600 is a great watch but when given the choice the 126600 has my money all day long.
Old 28 February 2018, 08:55 AM   #107
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I think you're probably right. I'm a die hard SD fan and love my SD4K but the reality is that it wasn't a good seller. I suspect it will boom in value many years from now as it was a relatively low volume model and very short production run. But will take a long time!!

The thing I've always found strange was the price complaint on this forum. I paid £6,900 for mine and a Sub at that point was £5,700 so I paid a £1,200 premium.

For me, the SD is a very different watch to the Sub. It has the escape valve, thicker case, deeper case-back, thicker crystal, no date magnifier, slimmer lugs, shaped crown guards, divers extension, waterfall bracelet, Aaron dial, and a far superior depth rating.

It may well be that lots of people don't care about these differences, or perhaps even worse, don't like them, but it does make it quite a different watch to look at and wear (I've previously owned a 116610 so feel well placed to comment).

Is £1,200 too much for these differences, maybe. But, it seems a tiny premium compared to the £600 premium people paid for a different colour bezel and dial for the LV over the standard LN...and yet I've never heard of anyone questioning the merit of paying that premium!

The facts speak for themselves, people weren't prepared to spend the extra cash on the SD...so I'm in a minority here...but it's a bugbear of mine nonetheless!!

You forgot the fully graduated bezel lol, one of my favorite things. Brings a nice symmetry to the look of the watch.
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 09:22 AM   #108
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermann View Post
You forgot the fully graduated bezel lol, one of my favorite things. Brings a nice symmetry to the look of the watch.

How could I forget that!! It's my favourite 'feature'!

Old 28 February 2018, 09:30 AM   #109
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

• It’s the first ceramic diver to ever be discontinued.
• It was only produced for 2yrs and 1/2.
• It’s the only 40mm ceramic diver with tapered lugs.
• It’s a beautiful classic watch that will undeniably
continue to rise in price.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:02 AM   #110
aquatimerfla
Banned

The 16610LV was slow to rise after it was discontinued.

I expect the 116600 to follow exact same path.

Remember. Much less 116600 than 16610LV's as well.

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:42 AM   #111
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I don't buy watches as an investment, but the fact that they hold their value or increase sometimes is important to me, just in case I need to sell them to pay for something more important (have done it before).

The fact that I have a Daytona C and an SD4K which have both done well value wise over the past 12 months, helps with wife approval for further purchases!! I don't currently plan to sell either, but as someone who's not super-wealthy, future value is a consideration for me when making buying decisions.

Spot on! Only time I use the word “investment” is when my wife looks me in the eye and says “another watch?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 10:51 AM   #112
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ8 View Post
Although a beautiful watch - I can possibly put it down to the fact that it is a big watch and probably too big for most wrists. A reason why I haven't ever considered it
Have you tried it on? It actually fits smaller wrists better than the submariner thanks to its more slender case.
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 February 2018, 11:03 AM   #113
mistermann
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquatimerfla View Post
The 16610LV was slow to rise after it was discontinued.

I expect the 116600 to follow exact same path.

Remember. Much less 116600 than 16610LV's as well.

To me it sounds like a lot of the people that own it on here don't really want to let it go anytime soon. There's that many fewer that won't hit the market.
mistermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:11 AM   #114
Heypacha
"TRF" Member

Watch: Great White
I think that the prices are even lower than last year, and they are because nobody is talking about it. All the hype now is about the SS professional shortage, the new GMT, the LV discontinuation or any other Baselworld rumor.
I don't think the 116600 will ever be as popular as a "special" sub: the Kermit, Hulk, red text or the next Supreme F**k em. Currently a NOS SD4000c costs less than a Hulk and the Hulk is still in production. It's a rare sea-dweller, not a rare sub and almost nobody cases about the sea-dweller.
In the next few years we're gonna see the new sub, the new GMT and probably a new Milgauss. The sea-dweller will be soon forgotten and mentioned sporadically on this forum only and the comments won't fill one page. Love mine though.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18722178_252886828527472_4792662840630575104_n.jpg (99.3 KB, 413 views)
Heypacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:25 AM   #115
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portzed View Post
I have just done a trade on 2 unworn 'babies' from my watch-box and as an ex-16600 user of many years I just had to get this 18 month old beauty to be worn as my daily 'go-to' watch just as the old one was for 12 years or so...It sits lower than the old 16600 but has 'just enough of' a nice heft that reminds you of it's presence. Its been home 2 hours now and has already carved a chunk out of the staircase wall plaster. Now to explain to Mrs Portzed....she will definitely say "you had one like that years ago, why buy another one? you only paid £1617 in 1990"
Yes Honey but it didn’t have a graduated bezel my sweet
pumpkin pie ...
superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:26 AM   #116
Spartan1
"TRF" Member

Lots of supply....not lots of demand. As simple as that!
Spartan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 10:43 AM   #117
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan1 View Post
Lots of supply....not lots of demand. As simple as that!

Not so sure about that ...
Old 1 March 2018, 11:58 AM   #118
WJGESQ
Banned

To be honest--it's a bit boring.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 March 2018, 01:24 PM   #119
aquatimerfla
Banned

This isnt rocket science. Collectors down the road want pieces that are not a dime o dozen.

The 116600 simply was produced in much less #'s than the 16610LV never mind the 116610LV ** still in production for the record!!...going on 10 years!!

If he JC Deepsea gets discontinued it to will be produced in less #'s than the 16610LV.

Although all are modern pieces and not 'rare' as per say the fact still remains that the 116600 had a 2.5-3yr production run **shortest in modern Rolex history, and is the LAST of the TRUE SeaDwellers. Checks every box.

Feel free to peruse the 16610LV threads from 2011,12,13. Exact same things were being said about the 16610LV and how it wouldent be that special.

aquatimerfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 05:15 AM   #120
superstarmar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGESQ View Post
To be honest--it's a bit boring.
No more boring than a Sub C ND/Date and or
GMT LN or even possibly a Daytona ...