The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 December 2018, 02:46 AM   #1
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Watch: Journe, AP & Lange
FP Journe Chronomete Souverain with Gold Dial

Just wanted to share my Journe In Platinum with the Gold Dial. I’ve looked around and aside from marketing material, some blogs with stock photos I have not seen many pics of this Dial variant.

This is the Chronomete Souverain In platinum with Gold Dial, this is my second FP Journe, I used to have a Black Dial CS In rose gold, I sold the watch, but I always wanted to get another CS back in the collection.

It’s hard to take good pics of the Dial, but I absolutely love the watch, and hope to keep this one.

Would love to hear everyone’s thought and opinions
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 74E600F8-4913-4C7F-A3BA-297C5DF8DF9A.jpeg (105.0 KB, 613 views)
File Type: jpeg 1B4D7E1B-69C2-46AB-903B-5B0B40A4FC91.jpeg (98.8 KB, 612 views)
Slider817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 04:39 AM   #2
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

William, this is one of my favourite CS. I'll be buying one in 38mm at some point I think. Oddly, given your comment, the RG Black Dial CS is my next favourite! Yours is more versatile though and so perhaps the best choice.

You are right, you don't see many pictures of it in the forums. But you don't see many CS pictures in general, it's just not the watch most people here seem to opt for in terms of Journe. And of course the avalanche of CB fans in the last 12-18 months has drowned out pretty much anything else.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 05:17 AM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Love it! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Theothergreg
"TRF" Member

Watch: this and that
Congrats from another CS owner. That's a beautiful version you have.
Theothergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 07:39 AM   #5
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
William, this is one of my favourite CS. I'll be buying one in 38mm at some point I think. Oddly, given your comment, the RG Black Dial CS is my next favourite! Yours is more versatile though and so perhaps the best choice.

You are right, you don't see many pictures of it in the forums. But you don't see many CS pictures in general, it's just not the watch most people here seem to opt for in terms of Journe. And of course the avalanche of CB fans in the last 12-18 months has drowned out pretty much anything else.
The 38mm is a good option for people with smaller wrists (or just prefer smaller watches), I’m 6”2 215lb so the 40mm looks right on me. I really liked the the black Dial CS, the painted gold letters looked fantastic, felt like I was wearing art.

I agree, the Platinum is more versatile, but the Rose Gold wasn’t too flashy as the bezels are small on Journes, so the Gold isn’t in your face.

I do like the CB, but with prices where they are, I couldn’t see getting a CB over a CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Love it! Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theothergreg View Post
Congrats from another CS owner. That's a beautiful version you have.
Let’s see some pics!

Thanks.
Old 26 December 2018, 07:42 AM   #6
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Just another pic in the car

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E966997C-159B-4806-AC22-066679DDDFC6.jpeg (68.3 KB, 538 views)
Old 26 December 2018, 07:42 AM   #7
kunlun
"TRF" Member

It's gorgeous and exudes a feeling of high quality. The view of the movement is like nothing else. Congrats and enjoy!
kunlun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 07:54 AM   #8
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunlun View Post
It's gorgeous and exudes a feeling of high quality. The view of the movement is like nothing else. Congrats and enjoy!
Agreed, recently held it next to a modern Patek Calatrava, another level watch. Thanks.
Old 26 December 2018, 07:58 AM   #9
dadonn2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider817 View Post
Just wanted to share my Journe In Platinum with the Gold Dial. I’ve looked around and aside from marketing material, some blogs with stock photos I have not seen many pics of this Dial variant.

This is the Chronomete Souverain In platinum with Gold Dial, this is my second FP Journe, I used to have a Black Dial CS In rose gold, I sold the watch, but I always wanted to get another CS back in the collection.

It’s hard to take good pics of the Dial, but I absolutely love the watch, and hope to keep this one.

That's a beauty. If there's a brand that has a "je ne sais crois," it's Journe for me. I don't have the most refined taste but I very much appreciate these. Definitely a keeper.
dadonn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 08:53 AM   #10
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Very nice congrats!

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 09:59 AM   #11
bronzeband00
Banned

The amazing look is second to none. Congrats
bronzeband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 11:02 AM   #12
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadonn2 View Post
That's a beauty. If there's a brand that has a "je ne sais crois," it's Journe for me. I don't have the most refined taste but I very much appreciate these. Definitely a keeper.
Agreed, the design is fantastic, without design, the rest of the package isn't relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Very nice congrats!
Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronzeband00 View Post
The amazing look is second to none. Congrats
Agreed, thanks so much
Old 26 December 2018, 11:29 AM   #13
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The 38mm is a good option for people with smaller wrists (or just prefer smaller watches), I’m 6”2 215lb so the 40mm looks right on me. I really liked the the black Dial CS, the painted gold letters looked fantastic, felt like I was wearing art.

I agree, the Platinum is more versatile, but the Rose Gold wasn’t too flashy as the bezels are small on Journes, so the Gold isn’t in your face.

I do like the CB, but with prices where they are, I couldn’t see getting a CB over a CS

Thanks so much

Let’s see some pics!

Thanks.
Looks great on your wrist, for me the 38mm would look about as good. The dial is a little more complicated than painted gold, Journe would have it no other way.
Old 26 December 2018, 12:25 PM   #14
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Very nice!
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 01:53 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Love that watch! Thanks for sharing
Old 26 December 2018, 01:53 PM   #16
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Sweet piece.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 03:40 AM   #17
gilluminati204
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexRolexRolex
Stunning piece. Would. Love to see close up's of that amazing dial. Enjoy in good health!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
gilluminati204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 03:48 AM   #18
vlps
"TRF" Member

looking great, I have a chrono bleu but am looking to buy an fp journe tourbillon. I heard they are releasing a refresh next month and really hope they release a tourbillon in that color dial
vlps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:02 AM   #19
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet knight View Post
Very nice!

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Love that watch! Thanks for sharing
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarky_hk View Post
Sweet piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilluminati204 View Post
Stunning piece. Would. Love to see close up's of that amazing dial. Enjoy in good health!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
I'll do my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlps View Post
looking great, I have a chrono bleu but am looking to buy an fp journe tourbillon. I heard they are releasing a refresh next month and really hope they release a tourbillon in that color dial
I really like their Tourb,curious to see what they come up with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5573.jpg (92.6 KB, 430 views)
Old 27 December 2018, 05:04 AM   #20
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Very nice. What was the decision process behind this piece? Did you consider something like a Patek or Lange 1, or was your heart always set on Journe?
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 05:29 AM   #21
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Very nice. What was the decision process behind this piece? Did you consider something like a Patek or Lange 1, or was your heart always set on Journe?
Thanks, I had 2 watches from the big brands that I wasn't wearing, both of them in about the $10k range. I realized that I want to have a special watches on my wrist, and the two I sold were not really that for me.

I already own a nice Patek, the 5146g, so I got the Patek Bug out of the system, have a few Rolex models, and AP Royal Oak and a few vintage gold dress watches.

There is nothing in the $30k price range from Patek that appealed to be more than what I have, I really liked the Lange Datograph, but I did not like how thick it is, and I prefer thin watches only. I was tempted by the 1815 Chrono, but the Journes aesthetic won out. The lange 1 doesn't appeal to me.

I owned a Journe Chronomete Souverain in RG a few years ago, and I really missed the watch. The CS in platinum with this newer variant dial was offered to me at a good price, so I went for it.

It's just a personal feeling, and highly subjective. But I like that Journe is a small brand, owned and designed by a living watchmaker, the watch is beautiful, the movement is gorgeous. It's an understated design that works with pretty much everything I wear. I feel like I am wearing something unique and special.
Old 27 December 2018, 09:31 AM   #22
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
Thanks for sharing William. That was a thoughtful and well written response.

I've been contemplating a Journe for a little while, but I'm not quite ready to take the plunge. I actually prefer the CS over the CB, and with CB values rising, the CS seems like even better value these days. The one I saw had a guilloche dial and blue hands, but yours is even more gorgeous.

I do think Journe has a very interesting/subjective appeal. There's something kind of whimsical and crazy about the designs. The more complicated ones remind me of bug eyes. Even the "restrained" CS has different sized hour markers and very interesting hands. You flip it around, and that's where the crazy really starts to shine.

Lange designs are fantastic too but they leave me a little cold. I do like the Up Down and Saxiona Moonphase. But like you, I think I find the Journe story a little more compelling.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 12:26 PM   #23
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Just to make sure everyone appreciates what they are seeing in William's beautiful CS, the dials on these versions of the CS are made from solid gold. The numbers are not applied like you see on some other brand's dials, rather they are embossed on the dial. After that a silver coating is applied to the dial to give that base colour you see and the numbers are then polished to give them that super mirror like finish you see.

These are really amazing dials. And while the production process for these CS dials may not be as burdensome as that for the CB it's definitely got its fair share of work involved.
Old 28 December 2018, 01:14 AM   #24
rolexpatek363
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Stunning watch!

My grail is the Chronometre Optimum, but I will probably never afford one.
rolexpatek363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:32 AM   #25
themast
"TRF" Member

Simply stunning. Congratulations!
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 01:43 AM   #26
Slider817
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterandwatches View Post
Thanks for sharing William. That was a thoughtful and well written response.

I've been contemplating a Journe for a little while, but I'm not quite ready to take the plunge. I actually prefer the CS over the CB, and with CB values rising, the CS seems like even better value these days. The one I saw had a guilloche dial and blue hands, but yours is even more gorgeous.

I do think Journe has a very interesting/subjective appeal. There's something kind of whimsical and crazy about the designs. The more complicated ones remind me of bug eyes. Even the "restrained" CS has different sized hour markers and very interesting hands. You flip it around, and that's where the crazy really starts to shine.

Lange designs are fantastic too but they leave me a little cold. I do like the Up Down and Saxiona Moonphase. But like you, I think I find the Journe story a little more compelling.
Could not agree more, the value, at least with the market discounts on the CS are very compelling. Comparing it to the CB is tough, I remember when the CB on the secondary market was around $11K, that was only a few years ago, now that you can get a CS in platinum for similar money seals the deal for me.

The overall style and aesthetic is certainly part of the apeal, it has a warmth that most other brands and designs lack.

Agreed, Lange is a bit "cold" but there is something to say for German perfection.

Quote:
Just to make sure everyone appreciates what they are seeing in William's beautiful CS, the dials on these versions of the CS are made from solid gold. The numbers are not applied like you see on some other brand's dials, rather they are embossed on the dial. After that a silver coating is applied to the dial to give that base colour you see and the numbers are then polished to give them that super mirror like finish you see.

These are really amazing dials. And while the production process for these CS dials may not be as burdensome as that for the CB it's definitely got its fair share of work involved.
It's a very interesting and laborious process, I wonder why this style dial doesn't get more discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexpatek363 View Post
Stunning watch!

My grail is the Chronometre Optimum, but I will probably never afford one.
You never know, that's an amazing watch, my Dream FP Journe is a repeater with a custom dial, also, not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Simply stunning. Congratulations!

Thanks so much
Old 28 December 2018, 03:41 AM   #27
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
Thats a beautiful watch! Congratulations!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 04:43 AM   #28
Burlington
"TRF" Member

I do like the FPJ style - congrats!

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 07:37 AM   #29
CorradoBrit
"TRF" Member

I prefer your dial design with its regular number font to the alternative guilloche/segmented dial. There is something about the latter that doesn't quite work. Too unbalanced to my eye at least based on pics which I admit can be deceptive.
CorradoBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2018, 07:41 AM   #30
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I have the 38mm Gold version as well :)
Slider Congratulations !!

Quote:

watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote