The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2019, 05:27 AM   #1
Seeking_balance
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 126600
Wear or box, if selling in future?

New to this forum, which seems to be the best populated Rolex forum around.

I have hankered after a Rolex for a while, and recently became friends with someone who has a couple for investment. On the way to NZ on holiday I jokingly asked the Rolex AD at Heathrow T4 whether they had a DeepSea - and they did! They also had a 126600 Sea Dweller which I liked better on my wrist, as the DeepSea was just too thick and bulky.

So I now find my self the owner of a brand new, boxed, unworn (so far) Sea Dweller watch that I now see is supposedly sellable for more than half again what I paid for it, and I am now wondering whether to hold it for resale some time down the line.

I have looked it up on a few grey sites and the suggestion (at Chrono24 at least) is that they are worth pretty much the same for resale worn as unworn, though I assume worn means still in excellent condition.

As I bought it to wear I plan to wear it, but I would be keen to understand other members’ view as to whether this will materially devalue what I could sell it for a year or two down the line, when I plan to have bought a Daytona, which would have been my ideal buy.

Is it fair to assume that as these watches are for sale online for almost £12,000 that is what they actually sell for in the aftermarket, and is it really the case that worn it would fetch almost as much?
Seeking_balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:17 AM   #2
NJRolexFan
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Flip much?
NJRolexFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:28 AM   #3
Seeking_balance
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRolexFan View Post
Flip much?
What does that even mean?
Old 18 February 2019, 08:36 AM   #4
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
If you bought it to wear it, then wear it and enjoy it. If you bought it because of the hype and are more interested in resale and making a quick buck, then that’s your choice. Expect to get a lot of negative comments as many feel that purchases like the one you made is the reason that Rolex watches are difficult to acquire at retail prices.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:37 AM   #5
Reddy_Kilowatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16220 & 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_balance View Post
Did you buy the watch to wear, or as an investment? Most on this forum are sick of offering opinions on this topic to those who seem more interested in watches as an investment vehicle than as a watch or an interesting hobby. Speculation robs the joy.
Reddy_Kilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
I love Rolex as watches. Could care less about them as an investment.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:44 AM   #7
Mr. Superlative
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Now
As some others have said, a lot of members on here buy to wear and enjoy. The fact the pieces increase over time is not the reason for the purchase; it is merely a bonus.
Mr. Superlative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 08:51 AM   #8
Seeking_balance
"TRF" Member

Yes, as I expected. Everyone buys to wear, and asking about selling is taboo.

Yet everyone seems to have bought and sold many watches over the years.

Any chance anyone could actually answer my question, or point me to an older thread that might help?
Old 18 February 2019, 08:52 AM   #9
maylebox
"TRF" Member

This is an easy one. If you bought it to wear then wear it. If you bought it to sell then don't.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:02 AM   #10
exador
Banned

Quote:
As I bought it to wear I plan to wear it, but I would be keen to understand other members’ view as to whether this will materially devalue what I could sell it for a year or two down the line, when I plan to have bought a Daytona, which would have been my ideal buy.
Why wear a watch you don't love? BTW your £12k is a little optimistic. Try £10-10.5k.
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:05 AM   #11
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRolexFan View Post
Flip much?
Quote:
Do you buy and sell for profit?

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:06 AM   #12
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Generally, an unworn watch in new/pristine condition will be worth more, unless it’s a famous watch worn by a famous person or used during a famous event- think Paul Newman’s Daytona.

As for the flack you’ll get for wanting to sell for profit, that’s a touchy subject shrouded in several layers of hypocrisy, so tread carefully. Obviously you’ve burned yourself at this point, but the correct lingo is “the watch just didn’t sing to me” or “unfortunately have to let this one go to make room for something else”. Apparently, it’s perfectly acceptable to capitalize on the demand for hard to find watches so long as your good fortunate at least appears accidental and unintentional...even though the result on the market is identical.

Good luck
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:08 AM   #13
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Generally, an unworn watch in new/pristine condition will be worth more, unless it’s a famous watch worn by a famous person or used during a famous event- think Paul Newman’s Daytona.

As for the flack you’ll get for wanting to sell for profit, that’s a touchy subject shrouded in several layers of hypocrisy, so tread carefully. Obviously you’ve burned yourself at this point, but the correct lingo is “the watch just didn’t sing to me” or “unfortunately have to let this one go to make room for something else”. Apparently, it’s perfectly acceptable to capitalize on the demand for hard to find watches so long as your good fortunate at least appears accidental and unintentional...even though the result on the market is identical.

Good luck

This.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:17 AM   #14
Seeking_balance
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Good luck
Thanks, at last an actual answer to my question. And some thoughts to support my own re the process of selling.

To be clear, I bought this watch to wear. But seeing that it is so sought after that it is already “worth” more than I paid for it has given me pause. The most expensive watch I ever owned before this is a Seiko which cost me £106, so having an 8 grand watch is a big deal, and not something I imagined would ever happen.

All I wanted to know/confirm is whether wearing it would massively reduce future selling price, which I had fully assumed it would, and am fine with that. But looking online it seems that maybe that is not the case, and the possible future resale value would not be much less than if I had never worn it.

But as you say, it seems that thinking about this ahead of time is a no-no, yet selling to widen a collection or to get a different watch that “speaks more to me” is fine.

And this on a forum with a classified section with thousands of want and sell notices!
Old 18 February 2019, 09:21 AM   #15
exador
Banned

Quote:
Post of the month
exador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:21 AM   #16
reeder1
Banned

Watch: 116600 SD
Wear the heck out of it, I'd say. Don't worry about it either way-and try not to feel like you've stepped in it when you post. I'm new on here, so these guys are MUCH more experienced on this forum and this topic than I. Most are owners of multiple Rolexes so they've got tons of practical experience. A good compromise could be to wear it as much as you want to, and if you want to sell, get back what you paid for it. THAT is one thing that is unique and unbeatable to Rolex. Gosh, now I want to go buy another one...oh, great.
reeder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:24 AM   #17
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:

Good luck
Spot on.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:43 AM   #18
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yet everyone seems to have bought and sold many watches over the years.
Really? How many have I sold? (Clue the answer is less than 1).

If you bought it to wear and enjoy, then wear it and enjoy it. If you are looking for investment advice on watches, you will get some pointers but you will have to sift through some negativity. As has been stated already, some will tend to view your purchasing behaviour/motivation as a primary driver of the current Rolex "situation".

As a general rule in my little universe, property is for investment, shares are for gambling and watches are for fun. I have a 116610LV that the grey market is presently paying me to wear. And it seems to be paying me more every month. It will be allowed to age gracefully and be serviced and repaired as and when necessary. One day my children might realise a financial benefit, if they chose not to keep their heirlooms. At that point, I will be officially past caring.

I would always let an offer like this one go to a home who will love it, appreciate it and wear the hell out of it like Rolex intended. But we're all different. Do what makes you happy. It's your life. And (more importantly) it's your watch now.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:47 AM   #19
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Apparently, it’s perfectly acceptable to capitalize on the demand for hard to find watches so long as your good fortunate at least appears accidental and unintentional...even though the result on the market is identical.
I like that. Well observed.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:49 AM   #20
Junior_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 114060
I do have to admit, if the opportunity to buy a ceramic Daytona presented itself, I’d probably flip it unworn and use the profits to buy an OP or DJ.
Junior_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:50 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by exador View Post
Why wear a watch you don't love? BTW your £12k is a little optimistic. Try £10-10.5k.
Yes, 10K is what you might get selling it privately with all the hassle and risk that entails, to a grey they will pay even less.

So wear it, the money is for the dealers, not for the casual and inexperienced buyer.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 09:55 AM   #22
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
If you think you'll sell it in the near future then keep it boxed and unworn. If the market starts to go down the ones that will command a premium, albeit maybe less than you paid, will be the BNIB. But if you want to sell it down the road, 10,15 years in the future, then wear it.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:00 AM   #23
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Op ignore the haters on here. Buying low and selling high is the heart of capitalism, and if capitalism didn’t exist then nor would Rolex. Good for you for getting lucky and finding an opportunity. After all, that money may benefit you and/or your family way more than a silly watch would. No one here should be judging anyone else for that.

At the end of the day Rolex is the cause, flipping is just the symptom.

Keep it pristine and good luck on making as much as you can off it. It may lead to your next rolex purchase which will support Rolex!!
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:00 AM   #24
sirC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your Six
Wear it and enjoy it..............
and hire (READS PAY) a financial professional for investment advice.

FWIW-
Never worn perfect condition collectors watches are normally worth more than something ordinary joe has worn for a few years.
sirC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:00 AM   #25
timeisfathaoftruth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Daytona,GMT,YM
Would you rather wear it and enjoy it and then possibly sell it for a small profit or not wear it and not enjoy it and possibly sell it for a modest profit?
Old 18 February 2019, 10:02 AM   #26
Marcjvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior_ View Post
I do have to admit, if the opportunity to buy a ceramic Daytona presented itself, I’d probably flip it unworn and use the profits to buy an OP or DJ.
I would do the exact same thing.

Don’t understand all the hate for flipping. It really is ridiculous considering every single person on this forum would say “hell yes” to an opportunity to make a risk free profit of 2-10k...

Blame Rolex for being the cause, flipping is just the symptom
Marcjvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:06 AM   #27
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
If you are asking the question then you surely cannot afford it. Rolex Watches are for wearing not flipping.
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:20 AM   #28
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Here's my little theory guys;

Wear it because it's actually good for the movement of the watch to be used, rather then sit around and stiffen up. Then when you get bored if it many years down the road get it Rolex serviced and polished up, pop it back in the original box and sell or store away.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #29
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
If you are asking the question then you surely cannot afford it. Rolex Watches are for wearing not flipping.
Eh, a lot of people sit on Ferraris because they’re often a good investment, even though cars are for driving.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:28 AM   #30
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Wear it.