The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2019, 10:33 AM   #31
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many! 116718 GOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Eh, a lot of people sit on Ferraris because they’re often a good investment, even though cars are for driving.
And what is your point I at least drive mine including my watches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D616527F-D1E2-4217-B1E3-BA1CF6391AB4.jpeg (97.2 KB, 313 views)
Chaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:35 AM   #32
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
If would suggest wearing the watch a while, relatively carefully, to see what you think of it. You may love it then go for gold and scratch the bejesus out of it as was intended.

If you want to sell it then check out how long some watches actually sit on the classified section. Suggest also emailing DavidSW (key recipient from all the flippers then sells into the forums- ignore the hypocrisy given comments above) to see what he might bid you for it. It won't be as high as you expect.

Good luck my friend and chin up:)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:39 AM   #33
Wrist King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Sub, 16710 P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
Waaaa man that's the greatest thing I've ever seen. Well done you.

I must work harder.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Wrist King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:43 AM   #34
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Around the estate at 5mph doesn’t count

Jokes aside, you know many of these just sit hermetically sealed and stored away, the owner either petrified to drive it or hoping it becomes the next 250 GTO. Point is, there’s the potential for such a vehicle to become more valuable, just like there’s the potential for the watch in question to become more valuable (which it already has in the current market). Most of us don’t have Ferrari speculation money, but Rolex speculation money isn’t unrealistic in the context of this forum, even if the notion is frowned upon.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:44 AM   #35
CDNWatchNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I don’t see how a given individual buying a new desirable model then flipping it for immediate profit is any different from grey market “trusted sellers” that many seem to heap praise upon...I’m not a fan of so called “trusted sellers” who are just skimming the market for profit and adding zero value...but why are flippers given such a hard time when “trusted sellers” are praised?
CDNWatchNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 10:46 AM   #36
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Don’t wear it. Also leave the tags in your dungarees, and stop driving your cars
Old 18 February 2019, 10:48 AM   #37
Chaching
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBer View Post
Around the estate at 5mph doesn’t count

Jokes aside, you know many of these just sit hermetically sealed and stored away, the owner either petrified to drive it or hoping it becomes the next 250 GTO. Point is, there’s the potential for such a vehicle to become more valuable, just like there’s the potential for the watch in question to become more valuable (which it already has in the current market). Most of us don’t have Ferrari speculation money, but Rolex speculation money isn’t unrealistic in the context of this forum, even if the notion is frowned upon.
I hear ya but in all seriousness I wear all my watches and drive all my cars when I can, it’s my sense of accomplishment and stress reliever! I get so sick and tired of all the speculators / greys on here ... they are the ones going into ADs with their credit cards and are buying up the SS Sports and reselling on E-Bay, Chrono24 etc... and have ruined the days of me traveling anywhere in the World and being able to pop into any Rolex AD and buy what “I” liked not what the Internet Says to like...like the Daytona Ceramic... it’s way overrated and overpriced. It’s really quite unfortunate.... I have a stellar relationship with my AD but even I have to wait due to the games Rolex is playing with their true customer base. I honestly hope Rolex jacks the prices up sky high on all SS Sports this will eliminate some of the speculation..because people are paying these inflated prices regardless. Not sure when this madness will end.
Old 18 February 2019, 11:05 AM   #38
jcs266
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBN 79230
I say wear it and enjoy it. Life is short. Some day if you decide to sell, the difference between NIB and well cared for/worn isn't worth the joy the watch will give you over the years.
jcs266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:21 AM   #39
MTBer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear ya but in all seriousness I wear all my watches and drive all my cars when I can, it’s my sense of accomplishment and stress reliever! I get so sick and tired of all the speculators / greys on here ... they are the ones going into ADs with their credit cards and are buying up the SS Sports and reselling on E-Bay, Chrono24 etc... and have ruined the days of me traveling anywhere in the World and being able to pop into any Rolex AD and buy what “I” liked not what the Internet Says to like...like the Daytona Ceramic... it’s way overrated and overpriced. It’s really quite unfortunate.... I have a stellar relationship with my AD but even I have to wait due to the games Rolex is playing with their true customer base. I honestly hope Rolex jacks the prices up sky high on all SS Sports this will eliminate some of the speculation..because people are paying these inflated prices regardless. Not sure when this madness will end.
It's funny, we lament the unavailability of the Rolex models we want yet deride other brands like Omega, Panerai, Breitling, etc. for flooding the market and killing resale value...which we aren't supposed to care about because we're buying these to wear, not resell for profit later on

I have no intention of ever selling any watch I've bought so resale doesn't really matter to me, practically speaking. That said, I couldn't pay $5500+tax at the Omega Boutique for a really nice Aqua Terra because I know I can have it new-in-box from a grey seller for 35% off and save $2k- the same seller who'd charge me 100% markup if I also wanted a new Daytona.

Point is, we can't have it both ways, and I seriously doubt Rolex will boost their prices just to curtail speculation- once the hype train runs out of steam I think too many SS watches would be sitting in display cases with five-figure price tags looking like terrible value propositions next to offerings from 'higher' tiered brands. It will definitely be interesting to see what happens over the next few years.
MTBer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:27 AM   #40
rushca01
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWatchNut View Post
I don’t see how a given individual buying a new desirable model then flipping it for immediate profit is any different from grey market “trusted sellers” that many seem to heap praise upon...I’m not a fan of so called “trusted sellers” who are just skimming the market for profit and adding zero value...but why are flippers given such a hard time when “trusted sellers” are praised?
Another good point.
rushca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:27 AM   #41
KKFF
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko (SRPB51)
First post here

Ive been scouring forums and websites for the better part of the last 6 months in search of something that I like and also makes sense for me within my budget. The prices are all over the place. Options available to me at the ADs I’ve been in are way outta my price range. I feel like the large portion of people buy with the intention of making money of the piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KKFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 11:38 AM   #42
blown5.0
"TRF" Member

Sadly, this is what it has evolved into. Resale value is more important than actually liking the watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKFF View Post
First post here

Ive been scouring forums and websites for the better part of the last 6 months in search of something that I like and also makes sense for me within my budget. The prices are all over the place. Options available to me at the ADs I’ve been in are way outta my price range. I feel like the large portion of people buy with the intention of making money of the piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blown5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 12:04 PM   #43
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking_balance View Post

I have hankered after a Rolex for a while,

So I now find my self the owner of a brand new, boxed, unworn (so far) Sea Dweller watch that I now see is supposedly sellable for more than half again what I paid for it, and I am now wondering whether to hold it for resale some time down the line.
How long do you intend to hold it for and how much profit are you looking to make?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 12:23 PM   #44
Flintstone
"TRF" Member

Welcome to the Forum. Ignore the mean-spirited comments. Watches are made to be worn. Wear your Rolex. Enjoy your Rolex. And when the time comes -- and it most likely will -- that there is another Rolex you want more, then you can use this watch as a trade.
Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:19 PM   #45
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Do you know of something that isn't worth more new than used?

Yes, assuming the market stays the way it is you won't miss out on much. Wear it and think of it as renting a nice watch for a year or so.
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:21 PM   #46
ryvius
"TRF" Member

If you want to speculate on the price rising, keep it new and safe.
If you want to wear an amazing watch, nothing is stopping you.
ryvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 01:48 PM   #47
Chaching
"TRF" Member

I wear the hell out of mine! Just added a Rubber B. Wear it and don’t look back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg B3E924F9-8385-400D-987E-F75A30002FA8.jpeg (83.2 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpeg 5AB98D83-7EC3-40B4-B0BC-18D4C6CC4BD9.jpeg (91.6 KB, 219 views)
Old 18 February 2019, 01:53 PM   #48
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Rolex has become a commodity.An investment vehicle .The fun of wearing them has disappeared .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:12 PM   #49
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I get what you are saying OP. I had been looking for a daily wear 14060M. Found a really good deal on one with box and papers and bought it. When it arrived... It was WAY better than expected. I'm guessing it was worn maybe a week in it's 8 year life. I briefly considered flipping it. But then what? I had been looking for this deal for months. I slipped it on and decided to enjoy it. It will always be worth at least what I paid for it. And I get to enjoy it in the meantime.

The SD is not that unusual a watch. There are a LOT for sale and the pricing is very competitive.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 02:28 PM   #50
BakerView
"TRF" Member

Watch: that I'm Jonesin 4
You bought it because you liked it. Wear it and enjoy it, and don't worry about what it will be worth after all those years of enjoyment. If worn right, you may very well refuse to sell it for twice what you paid for it. Shoot, I heard of a guy that wore his Rolex Daytona regularly for years and it ended up selling for over 17 million.

The watch you give up today for the next grail may one day become your grail:
Rolex:116520, 16570, 216570, 116710LN, 16610LV, 16700, 116600
Panerai:PAM176, PAM1024, PAM88
Breitling:6.75, Aerospace x2, Chrono 44 GMT, Blackbird/utc, Bentley GT
IWC:3717.
BakerView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 03:35 PM   #51
imgook
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
Wear it, don't wear it. Who cares, it's your watch. You're a grown ass man, do as you please.
imgook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 04:50 PM   #52
georgekart
"TRF" Member

Quote:
New to this forum, which seems to be the best populated Rolex forum around.

I have hankered after a Rolex for a while, and recently became friends with someone who has a couple for investment. On the way to NZ on holiday I jokingly asked the Rolex AD at Heathrow T4 whether they had a DeepSea - and they did! They also had a 126600 Sea Dweller which I liked better on my wrist, as the DeepSea was just too thick and bulky.

So I now find my self the owner of a brand new, boxed, unworn (so far) Sea Dweller watch that I now see is supposedly sellable for more than half again what I paid for it, and I am now wondering whether to hold it for resale some time down the line.

I have looked it up on a few grey sites and the suggestion (at Chrono24 at least) is that they are worth pretty much the same for resale worn as unworn, though I assume worn means still in excellent condition.

As I bought it to wear I plan to wear it, but I would be keen to understand other members’ view as to whether this will materially devalue what I could sell it for a year or two down the line, when I plan to have bought a Daytona, which would have been my ideal buy.

Is it fair to assume that as these watches are for sale online for almost £12,000 that is what they actually sell for in the aftermarket, and is it really the case that worn it would fetch almost as much?
You are unlikely to get a lot more money for an unworn watch, unless it's out of production by then. SD43 is not likely to be replaced by something in a year or two.

Also, I don't really get buying something like car or watch as an investment and not using it. What if in a year Rolex prices drop to way below MSRP (Unlikely but still)? What will you have had from owning a watch? A monetary loss and that's it? I'd rather wear it and at least have enjoyed it in that case. I totally get if it is your "investment" watch you might not want to wear it daily, but still, enjoy it.
georgekart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 04:57 PM   #53
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
If you like the watch wear it, enjoy it.

If you don't like the watch and would prefer a Daytona as you mentioned, then sell the watch and buy a Daytona.

Wear the Daytona and enjoy it to the full knowing its the watch you really wanted all along.

Simple really in my very humble opinion.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 05:40 PM   #54
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Thanks, at last an actual answer to my question. And some thoughts to support my own re the process of selling.

But as you say, it seems that thinking about this ahead of time is a no-no, yet selling to widen a collection or to get a different watch that “speaks more to me” is fine.

And this on a forum with a classified section with thousands of want and sell notices!

Maybe adjust your attitude/tone a little. You’ve come onto this forum asking what seems to you to be a perfectly reasonable question, but that doesn’t mean you’re entitled to the responses you want. If you don’t like what the forum is offering you, feel free to leave.

For what it’s worth, I don’t really see a problem with your original post. An unworn Watch will typically fetch more than a worn watch, but the difference will generally be pretty insignificant.

And my rule of thumb, is that if selling privately, assume you’ll get up to 20% less than Chrono24 are advertising at. That’s not a science, but it’s a starting point for your thought process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 06:07 PM   #55
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is it fair to assume that as these watches are for sale online for almost £12,000 that is what they actually sell for in the aftermarket, and is it really the case that worn it would fetch almost as much?
no its not a fair assumption. Try to sell it and you need to be way below WF which is asking £12k... no one knows who you are

Try selling to them, get a quote and thats ballpark what you will get for it. realistically its not that much over retail
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 06:36 PM   #56
mk2jag
"TRF" Member

What I have done in the past is take the middle road. If you know you are going to sell at some point seeing that's its an investment then you can also use it.

wear it at home while when you are relaxing. This way you will be extra careful not to bang it around while being preoccupied and it will be just as good as new without incurring scratches. I had a full gold investment watch for 5 years and wore it every single weekend. when I sold it the buyer asked why I never wore the watch seeing that it was in perfect mint condition..
mk2jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 06:43 PM   #57
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maylebox View Post
This is an easy one. If you bought it to wear then wear it. If you bought it to sell then don't.
The nub.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 06:54 PM   #58
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Yes, as I expected. Everyone buys to wear, and asking about selling is taboo.

Yet everyone seems to have bought and sold many watches over the years.

Any chance anyone could actually answer my question, or point me to an older thread that might help?
Not everyone.

I have NEVER sold or traded a watch.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:08 PM   #59
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, as I expected. Everyone buys to wear, and asking about selling is taboo.

Yet everyone seems to have bought and sold many watches over the years.

Any chance anyone could actually answer my question, or point me to an older thread that might help?
this is a hobby about the details... and the details in your story are different than just selling a watch.

Flipping is about intent, not selling a watch. You are looking at both the money angle and thinking about selling before even wearing the watch.

I have sold many watches but i wore the hell out of them when i owned them. If i am not going to be wearing it im not buying it. thats the difference
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2019, 07:11 PM   #60
DP63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
no its not a fair assumption. Try to sell it and you need to be way below WF which is asking £12k... no one knows who you are

Try selling to them, get a quote and thats ballpark what you will get for it. realistically its not that much over retail
This 100%

And in addition, the profit over retail being as little as it actually is, is exactly why you should wear it and enjoy it.