The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 March 2024, 12:43 AM   #31
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
Is anyone surprised that a family with a 100bn net worth has rare watches? I'd be more surprised if they were wearing Seiko's.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 02:59 AM   #32
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
\
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post
I knew i would upset some people with my post! It's a forum people, we discuss opinions and not facts. All is subjective. I don't judge based on retail price, i like it or not. I hate those Gem stoned out pieces. The Sky Moon GC for a retail price of 7.5 million? I wouldn't want to be found dead with it. The craftmanship is out of the question, but those screamy watches are not my cup of tea.
Just check this out. What's the big deal here? The cost is for exclusivity, If it's the price then forget that as it's bought by billionaires. It's just a handcrafted gold case and tourbillion and moon phase with both sides. Also, it matches very well if you are wearing some golden costumes.

Calling it as crap doesn't make any sense in any way.

https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...ions/6002R-001

Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 04:53 AM   #33
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Wow, this must be:

THE EVENT OF THE YEAR!
Rolex: 116621, 126333, 126711CHNR, 114060, 116500LN White, 126660 JC, 126710BLNR, 126710BLRO, 116610LV, 126610LN, 126610LV, 116508 YG Green Dial, 124300 Turquoise, 126719BLRO Meteorite dial, 228235 Olive dial ,126755SARU, 116505 RG Black dial, 326934 Blue Sky D.
Audemars Piguet: 15451ST Blue, 15500OR w/Bracelet, 14790SA, 14790BA, 26022BC(Salmon) Patek Philippe: 5524R, 5712G, ALS: Time Zone 136.032, Cartier: WGSA0030, WSSA0061, YG Oct. 2965, Carree 2961, Breguet: 7137BA, MontBlanc: 109996"
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 08:53 PM   #34
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

If these folks are happy with their watches, then I'm happy for them. As long as everyone is happy.
Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if purchasing one of those Grand Complications bumps you to the front of the line for a 5811 or a 5968.

Last edited by cascavel; 6 March 2024 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: I just had to add more wisdom.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 March 2024, 10:27 PM   #35
DK7
"TRF" Member

Icon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
If these folks are happy with their watches, then I'm happy for them. As long as everyone is happy.
Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if purchasing one of those Grand Complications bumps you to the front of the line for a 5811 or a 5968.
I think its not easy to buy "one of those Grand Complications"
DK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 03:36 AM   #36
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK7 View Post
I think its not easy to buy "one of those Grand Complications"
Exactly, so, folks are buying more harder and complex watches to just get the base 5811 model? I think folks don't realize the ultra rich doesn't need anything to buy any watch they want. The best of the watches are given to them by the ADs always.
Old 7 March 2024, 03:40 AM   #37
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
FYI: There is no list for ultra rich folks.
Old 7 March 2024, 04:14 PM   #38
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
I'm not happy for them. ...and by them, I mean the plutocrats who use their power to amass wealth at the great expense of others. -Not just this crook.

Seeing that Patek caters to these individuals is not surprising to me, and is consistent with my generally low opinion of the leadership behind and associated with "luxury" goods. Stern et al. see an opportunity and price accordingly. Hans Christian Andersen got it right.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 March 2024, 08:32 PM   #39
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy View Post
FYI: There is no list for ultra rich folks.
Thanks, this explains a lot.
Old 8 March 2024, 03:46 AM   #40
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Is it just me? These photos want make we want to puke.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 03:52 AM   #41
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I mean, the people in these pictures....it's just that they represent a return to the robber barons of the early industrial age, and the aristocracy of the medieval period.

So much poverty and pain and need in their respective countries (US, India, England, etc.) and such ostentatiousness for a wedding...they'll probably never wear these clothes and trinkets again.

As for the watches, extraordinary timepieces for a special occasion, I get it. But the sad thing is that they probably have a floor to ceiling safe full of similar timepieces. So how special are these that they are wearing....in a relative sense. I think I would have been more impressed if there was more constraint in what they wore.

I don't know....it just seems too much. And the groom....he just seems to scream gluttony.

Sorry, it just made me feel like this world does not have much more patience before something really big, and bad, will happen.
Old 8 March 2024, 04:03 AM   #42
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Saying you wouldn’t pay that much is different than calling a grand master chime “crap.”
Love and hate is but a fine line. They love something but can't afford it, and hence develop a hate for it. BTW, I'm pretty sure that watch isn't a 7 million retail. instead it's 7 million worth.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 07:17 AM   #43
Watchdoyouwant?
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
I mean, the people in these pictures....it's just that they represent a return to the robber barons of the early industrial age, and the aristocracy of the medieval period.

So much poverty and pain and need in their respective countries (US, India, England, etc.) and such ostentatiousness for a wedding...they'll probably never wear these clothes and trinkets again.

As for the watches, extraordinary timepieces for a special occasion, I get it. But the sad thing is that they probably have a floor to ceiling safe full of similar timepieces. So how special are these that they are wearing....in a relative sense. I think I would have been more impressed if there was more constraint in what they wore.

I don't know....it just seems too much. And the groom....he just seems to scream gluttony.

Sorry, it just made me feel like this world does not have much more patience before something really big, and bad, will happen.
The "ordinary" Patek watches we own EACH cost more than what the vast majority of people the world make in a YEAR.

I get where you're coming from, and the consumption is mindboggling, but your criticism strikes me a bit tone-deaf. From the perspective of most of the world, we are all cake eaters deserving of ridicule and contempt for our excessive consumption.
Watchdoyouwant? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 07:37 AM   #44
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

Some amazing watches here. Would love to be a wedding crasher here lol
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 08:14 AM   #45
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Congratulations to the bride and groom. Best wishes to them for a happy life together.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 02:25 PM   #46
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haven't seen such a long post which is wrong on so many levels and pretty much everything.
Old 8 March 2024, 03:38 PM   #47
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Every time I visit this thread my mind gets a little more confused.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 07:18 PM   #48
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:

Why not sell your own watches and give them to charity if it makes you feel better
Old 8 March 2024, 08:27 PM   #49
mongrelnomoad
2024 Pledge Member

I harbour no ill will towards any of these people for their watches (any robber-baron tendencies are something else), but I do feel a slight twinge of sadness for them. When nothing is special, life loses its lustre.
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 08:55 PM   #50
Ashj52
"TRF" Member

I think their percentage spend on watches in relation to their overall wealth is less than the average watch customer?
Old 8 March 2024, 08:57 PM   #51
ChetBaker
"TRF" Member

I do wonder if they'd be able to name the references of their watches when asked. You get the feeling it's all about one-upping one another with the next superlatively complicated timepiece.
ChetBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 08:59 PM   #52
ts3
"TRF" Member

Some years ago we were at a multi-day Indian wedding in a palace and gardens built by some Maharaja in rural Rajasthan. Nothing like in this thread, but the groom and the bride's family were certainly very well off. The contrast between regular folks and the people at the wedding was as stark as it gets.
I'll never forget my very first impression of the country which was what felt like an endless sea of slums upon final towards a night-time landing in Mumbai. Hours later you talk business at some posh hotel which could have been anywhere in the world.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 09:01 PM   #53
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

But: someone had to make the clothes, someone had to make the food, someone had to serve the food, someone had to play the music, many people had to clean up afterwards, many people drove the guests back to their hotels.
Old 8 March 2024, 09:53 PM   #54
AperolSpritz
"TRF" Member

Could we focus on watches please? Anyone annoyed by a display of wealth made by the 0.00001% should probably not visit the internet
AperolSpritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2024, 10:59 PM   #55
metallic
"TRF" Member

A bit peripherally related, but I did see a 60 minutes episode many years ago talking about how Indian people in general, not just the Uber wealthy, view gold and gold jewelry as an investment rather than a unnecessary indulgence. These billionaires probably view these watches as not only an adornment but also as a diversified investment.
metallic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 02:01 AM   #56
TNG
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonLee View Post
Love and hate is but a fine line. They love something but can't afford it, and hence develop a hate for it. BTW, I'm pretty sure that watch isn't a 7 million retail. instead it's 7 million worth.
It's not, im dead serious. I would not wear that watch even when it's gifted to me.
TNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2024, 03:54 AM   #57
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdoyouwant? View Post
The "ordinary" Patek watches we own EACH cost more than what the vast majority of people the world make in a YEAR.

I get where you're coming from, and the consumption is mindboggling, but your criticism strikes me a bit tone-deaf. From the perspective of most of the world, we are all cake eaters deserving of ridicule and contempt for our excessive consumption.
I don't own a Patek, and I probably never will.

I get it. It's not like we discuss 3rd world problems here. But there are degrees of consumption, and that display is pretty extreme, especially in a country where desperate poverty, honor killings, gang rapes, and a rigid caste system are real problems.

Being sensitive isn't going the change that reality.
Old 9 March 2024, 06:23 AM   #58
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashj52 View Post
I think their percentage spend on watches in relation to their overall wealth is less than the average watch customer?
This wedding was done in 0.1% of nett worth of the owner whereas usual Indian weddings are done are 5 to 10% of their worth and someone even upto 25% of their worth. Infact many take loans to do the wedding events.
Old 9 March 2024, 06:26 AM   #59
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNG View Post
It's not, im dead serious. I would not wear that watch even when it's gifted to me.
Not many can carry that watch either.
Old 9 March 2024, 07:36 AM   #60
AK797
Banned

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
I don't own a Patek, and I probably never will.

I get it. It's not like we discuss 3rd world problems here. But there are degrees of consumption, and that display is pretty extreme, especially in a country where desperate poverty, honor killings, gang rapes, and a rigid caste system are real problems.

Being sensitive isn't going the change that reality.
The flip side is that many ordinary people do look forward to the grandeur and the pomp and the splendour, these are not royalty but its the same principle as for millennia penniless peasants lined the streets to gawk at kingly processions of fields of cloth of gold, and my UK has processed far more than most, and it actually can give pride to the people when they see the world looking in awe at such an auspicious occasion in their country. Most Indians I know, like Americans, would look at their wealth as an inspiration and aspiration, while most Brits alas would roll their eyes and tut... and wish if only Diana were still here...
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote