The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 25 February 2021, 03:12 PM   #121
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
I've been enjoying this series since they started putting it out. With the general boredom that the COVID lockdowns bring, this is a nice way to distract myself for an hour or so. It's also fun to see how they manage to pull off their deals because of the various cash flow problems already mentioned in this thread.

That said, I'd personally refrain from doing business with them, as I've seen behind the curtain already. From the constant wire transfer issues, accounts getting shut down, forgetting what watches are available, haphazard polishing of watches, and cash flow issues, I'd stick to more reputable and experienced dealers. Contrary to what another member said earlier in this thread, I find Marco to be a lot more trustworthy and knowledgable than Anthony. Marco seems to be an actual watch enthusiast while Anthony seems to mostly care about showing off and is more of a marketeer. That's totally reasonable as marketing is important at this stage of the business. I just personally don't care to see several gold rolexes on one person's arm being shown off as if it's some impressive accomplishment.

I also reached out via IG and text about a particular watch and got two wildly different prices. When I watched the episode for that week afterwards, I saw another price they were asking which was also wildly off. I'm talking about a difference of ~20%+ depending on the response.

One thing that does bother me is the general lack of regard around wearing masks. They don't seem to wear masks indoors (unless asked to, such as when they go to banks), even when clients are traveling in and visiting. Given the outbreaks in Dallas and the surrounding areas, it would be nice if they showed their care about the health of those around them. And when they do wear masks, they don't generally cover their noses, which defaults much of the purpose of wearing masks to begin with.

All fair points except I disagree with your take on Anthony. He seems trustworthy to me and he obviously loves watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 February 2021, 11:20 AM   #122
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsguy View Post
I've been enjoying this series since they started putting it out. With the general boredom that the COVID lockdowns bring, this is a nice way to distract myself for an hour or so. It's also fun to see how they manage to pull off their deals because of the various cash flow problems already mentioned in this thread.

That said, I'd personally refrain from doing business with them, as I've seen behind the curtain already. From the constant wire transfer issues, accounts getting shut down, forgetting what watches are available, haphazard polishing of watches, and cash flow issues, I'd stick to more reputable and experienced dealers. Contrary to what another member said earlier in this thread, I find Marco to be a lot more trustworthy and knowledgable than Anthony. Marco seems to be an actual watch enthusiast while Anthony seems to mostly care about showing off and is more of a marketeer. That's totally reasonable as marketing is important at this stage of the business. I just personally don't care to see several gold rolexes on one person's arm being shown off as if it's some impressive accomplishment.

I also reached out via IG and text about a particular watch and got two wildly different prices. When I watched the episode for that week afterwards, I saw another price they were asking which was also wildly off. I'm talking about a difference of ~20%+ depending on the response.

One thing that does bother me is the general lack of regard around wearing masks. They don't seem to wear masks indoors (unless asked to, such as when they go to banks), even when clients are traveling in and visiting. Given the outbreaks in Dallas and the surrounding areas, it would be nice if they showed their care about the health of those around them. And when they do wear masks, they don't generally cover their noses, which defaults much of the purpose of wearing masks to begin with.

Every watch I have sold Anthony in 3 years he has had no
Issue paying me. The people he may owe money are people that he is selling watches for and many with deep pockets that do not mind. He is as trustworthy as it gets in my opinion. I have done 8-10 deals with him buying and selling. And his prices are usually below other grays
Old 27 February 2021, 12:41 PM   #123
Rolexhater
Banned

You guys are a tough crowd and really should just respect someone turning his passion/hobby into a business. Every smaller/newer business has capitalization and infrastructure struggles. His channel would be blown up if he wasn't treating people right or not paying.

It seems you'd get a better experience with him than some AD laughing at you when you ask about the availability of a SS sport watch, the AD experience is a laughable business model.

I had a friend who's dream was a white dial Daytona, he called GT and had one in 2 weeks, he knew he paid well, well above MSRP but he didn't care, he wanted the watch and had the means so price wasn't an issue. He's over-the-moon happy.
Old 28 February 2021, 02:33 AM   #124
datejustrms
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I enjoy their videos, good light entertainment.
Old 2 March 2021, 02:46 AM   #125
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

some drama in todays vid, wonder if it'll turn into a big deal for him
Old 2 March 2021, 11:16 AM   #126
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

That was intense with the other dealer.

https://youtu.be/u6R6re1cW4U?t=801

I'm about 30 minutes in, good so far.
Old 2 March 2021, 11:24 AM   #127
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
some drama in todays vid, wonder if it'll turn into a big deal for him
It was a very good episode. Be interesting to see how things develop over the next few weeks. Surprised he actually mentioned that dealer guy’s name lol.

The platona with diamonds looks incredible. I never paid much attention before, but the great video in this episode made it very appealing to me.
Old 2 March 2021, 12:39 PM   #128
boomtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710,116500, DJ
Is the dealer a bigger name or just a hobby guy? I've never heard of him before.
Old 2 March 2021, 12:47 PM   #129
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
It was a very good episode. Be interesting to see how things develop over the next few weeks. Surprised he actually mentioned that dealer guy’s name lol.

The platona with diamonds looks incredible. I never paid much attention before, but the great video in this episode made it very appealing to me.
i agree, i prefer the diamond dial. i saw a pic of one with a diamond bezel as well and think it looks even better because i just don't like the brown

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFp9Ql-niQu/

i'm assuming its factory although i've only seen the factory one come with a pave dial, but the guy has an insane collection
Old 2 March 2021, 01:06 PM   #130
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

Just finished the episode - really good. He's now implementing a vetting process to get through to him, which is smart.
Old 2 March 2021, 01:49 PM   #131
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
I like it, remember it is entertainment.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Old 2 March 2021, 02:04 PM   #132
Wingslogo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
Great show- I appreciate them doing it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 March 2021, 01:40 PM   #133
favre12rodgers
Banned

Just started watching these......seems like a cool guy and it's a great look into the business. If you are an entrepreneur then you understand.
Old 3 March 2021, 01:47 PM   #134
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I can’t explain why, but I am intrigued by this fellow and his team. I especially like Marco’s vintage Daytona
Old 4 March 2021, 12:57 AM   #135
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I immediately thought I don’t like this guy then kept watching now I like him lol

Entertainment gold for a niche group.
Old 4 March 2021, 02:53 PM   #136
AL9C1
"TRF" Member

I’ve been following him since he started on YouTube. Great insight on the business. Hope he continues to do well.
Old 4 March 2021, 04:30 PM   #137
trout_thumper21
"TRF" Member

These guys have done a great job on the videos—at times I forget I’m watching YouTube. One question though...has anyone noticed every member if the staff is wearing what I assume are for-sale pieces. Does anyone wonder if these pieces are listed as “new/unworn” meanwhile the staff is wearing them.

I’d hope they only let the staff wear pieces listed as “preowned”. Who knows, random thought that popped into my head as I was watching...
Old 4 March 2021, 04:48 PM   #138
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Made for TV.

If his show gets picked up, he’s going big.
Old 5 March 2021, 12:14 AM   #139
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Made for TV.

Oh yeah and the submariner will become unobtainium as Joe Average stretches to put $10k on his discover card and flip it.
Old 5 March 2021, 01:34 PM   #140
koryong
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwatchguy View Post
Made for TV.

Yeah I think that's his end goal, like Pawn Stars where the show became huge and they lost their passion for the actual business.

Would be interesting to see how this one pans out.
Old 5 March 2021, 01:36 PM   #141
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout_thumper21 View Post
These guys have done a great job on the videos—at times I forget I’m watching YouTube. One question though...has anyone noticed every member if the staff is wearing what I assume are for-sale pieces. Does anyone wonder if these pieces are listed as “new/unworn” meanwhile the staff is wearing them.

I’d hope they only let the staff wear pieces listed as “preowned”. Who knows, random thought that popped into my head as I was watching...
That’s how it is for most gray dealers. That’s why it was such a big deal when he peeled off the stickers in this most recent episode.

Heck, even most flippers wear the watch with stickers on so they can flip it and still claim “unworn w/ stickers”. That’s why on some you see the stickers are lifting a bit with grim underneath.
Old 5 March 2021, 02:55 PM   #142
favre12rodgers
Banned

On another note, I can't believe a SS Daytona is $30k now? I am one of the few non-fans of that watch regardless of dial but definitely would have loved to get one when it was $20k and sold it.

Amazing to see how all models are going up recently....I got my 126715 full RG Root Beer for $32k last May....you can't find those for less than $40k now after tax.

I don't buy watches for these reasons....but it's nice to see a luxury purchase actually appreciate in value, LOL.
Old 6 March 2021, 01:55 AM   #143
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I completely agree. I think the same thing when I’m watching. Last episode they showed Anthony dinging a watch he was wearing when he was reaching into the display case. It might have been one of his personal Daytonas that he took the stickers off on camera, but still, I’m sure that wasn’t the first time.

Anyway it’s a really fun show to watch. I was skeptical of him starting out but he gained my respect. I appreciate his honesty in exposing how the gray dealer business works. I’m also super impressed how he turned his life around.
Old 6 March 2021, 02:46 AM   #144
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
I completely agree. I think the same thing when I’m watching. Last episode they showed Anthony dinging a watch he was wearing when he was reaching into the display case. It might have been one of his personal Daytonas that he took the stickers off on camera, but still, I’m sure that wasn’t the first time.

Anyway it’s a really fun show to watch. I was skeptical of him starting out but he gained my respect. I appreciate his honesty in exposing how the gray dealer business works. I’m also super impressed how he turned his life around.
i believe what he wears now is his personal collection, he sold his a month ago and i think regretted it and rebought lol. wg daytona blue dial, yg green dial, rose gold rose diamond dial, plat diamond dial. he's been posting on his instagram about the process of acquiring those 4
Old 6 March 2021, 03:26 AM   #145
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Oh yeah and the submariner will become unobtainium as Joe Average stretches to put $10k on his discover card and flip it.
What do you mean "Become Unobtainium" it already is for so many... and Joe Average is already trying to buy and flip...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 6 March 2021, 03:53 AM   #146
r_afficionado
Banned

Watch: a few
Quote:

Yeah, based on what I saw all of them wear with stickers and are advertised as stickered and unworn. All the grays and flippers do this some will even light polish and re-sticker... so yeah buyer be ware. I buy from AD only and I bet you even AD watches slide on to SA's or other customers wrist even though piece is sold and awaiting pick up. How many times on TRF do we see people trying on watches at AD and they state they got to wear it but not buy it as it is waiting for customer pick up...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 6 March 2021, 05:29 AM   #147
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Does anyone know the account name they post watches for sale here on TRF? Anthony has mentioned to one of his employees several times about postings to TRF. Sounded like for sale psotings.
Old 6 March 2021, 05:38 AM   #148
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
Does anyone know the account name they post watches for sale here on TRF? Anthony has mentioned to one of his employees several times about postings to TRF. Sounded like for sale psotings.
“timepiecegentleman”

https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=190933

He was banned at end of January though. Not sure why.
Old 6 March 2021, 05:43 AM   #149
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyHighroller View Post
“timepiecegentleman”

https://www.rolexforums.com/member.php?u=190933

He was banned at end of January though. Not sure why.

That is so odd. Banned. He clearly has talked about TRF posting in recent videos.
Old 6 March 2021, 05:46 AM   #150
JodyHighroller
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
That is so odd. Banned. He clearly has talked about TRF posting in recent videos.
It could also be a timeout, who knows.
Closed Thread