The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 26 May 2021, 01:53 PM   #181
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMH View Post
My Fav...
How do you like the flexible nib on this pen?

I do like the finish in gold leaf.
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2021, 05:42 AM   #182
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Yah definitely an acquired taste. You can make it write anyway you like depending on how much pressure you use and paper texture. I find I have to be noticeably lighter on it to write like my “normal flex” M nibs. So if you are into calligraphy it’s great. If you were writing a few pages of notes for whatever reason you would be covered in ink. Nib gets really wet with very little pressure I’m sure by design. The sample on the paper (sorry low res) was done with the flexi nib but definitely requires less pressure than normal so it took me a page or two to warm up. The finish is immaculate except for the cap and segment stick which I’m sure is gonna cause a wear mark on the PVD threads.
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 02:36 AM   #183
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yah definitely an acquired taste. You can make it write anyway you like depending on how much pressure you use and paper texture. I find I have to be noticeably lighter on it to write like my “normal flex” M nibs. So if you are into calligraphy it’s great. If you were writing a few pages of notes for whatever reason you would be covered in ink. Nib gets really wet with very little pressure I’m sure by design. The sample on the paper (sorry low res) was done with the flexi nib but definitely requires less pressure than normal so it took me a page or two to warm up. The finish is immaculate except for the cap and segment stick which I’m sure is gonna cause a wear mark on the PVD threads.
Well... crud!

Now I must seriously save my pennies.

Thank you sincerely for the response.
Old 29 May 2021, 03:51 AM   #184
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Well... crud!

Now I must seriously save my pennies.

Thank you sincerely for the response.
Hahahaha I laugh because I said the same thing prior to purchase..... Although I'm pretty sure you can get a "regular" nib version. Nordstrom had them when they released. If I'm honest it'll probably be the only calig. nib I'll own... Just because of lack of use. You have quite the knowledge/collection! Kudos!!
I'm sure mine is a one off issue. I'm still debating whether or not I send it in for service or just use it.... also if your buying one in person the gold leaf is hand applied and some of them did looked like they had more or less gold leaf on them. You'll see when you hold 2 of them up beside each other.
Old 29 May 2021, 07:14 AM   #185
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I have quite a few Japanese (and Japanese made) fountain pens from Sailor, Eboya, Pilot, Platinum, Namiki, Danitrio and Nakaya. If you want more information feel free to ask.
I thought I would just update on this - I’m currently on a “waitlist” for a Custom 823 with FA nib from Japan. Likely going to take a few months to get but very much looking forward to it.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 09:36 AM   #186
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpit View Post
I thought I would just update on this - I’m currently on a “waitlist” for a Custom 823 with FA nib from Japan. Likely going to take a few months to get but very much looking forward to it.
Neat. Hope you like it.
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 10:01 AM   #187
Timekeep111
"TRF" Member

I love fountain pens and have these ones in my case for daily use. 2 modern and 2 vintage. Some day I might spring for a MB and see what all the fuss is about.
Timekeep111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2021, 10:39 AM   #188
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hahahaha I laugh because I said the same thing prior to purchase..... Although I'm pretty sure you can get a "regular" nib version. Nordstrom had them when they released. If I'm honest it'll probably be the only calig. nib I'll own... Just because of lack of use. You have quite the knowledge/collection! Kudos!!
I'm sure mine is a one off issue. I'm still debating whether or not I send it in for service or just use it.... also if your buying one in person the gold leaf is hand applied and some of them did looked like they had more or less gold leaf on them. You'll see when you hold 2 of them up beside each other.
Thanks again for your information and experience! Invaluable!
Old 1 June 2021, 06:49 AM   #189
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
Thanks again for your information and experience! Invaluable!
You as well, hope it can help. Take care!!!
Old 18 November 2022, 01:32 AM   #190
MDMH
"TRF" Member

Me!! My MB 146’s
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C084B25E-FDBC-4B6F-9863-64C0DA84DB5C.jpeg (121.2 KB, 272 views)
Old 24 November 2022, 10:55 PM   #191
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Nope. Don’t like them…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 02:19 PM   #192
x29saab
"TRF" Member

I bought a Montblanc specifically because it was expensive and somewhat delicate. I could not think of a better way to work on my penmanship which was tragic at the time. Spent the last year working on it and now my penmanship has improved tremendously. Could I have done it with a less expensive pen? Certainly. Would I have? No.
x29saab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 03:42 PM   #193
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x29saab View Post
I bought a Montblanc specifically because it was expensive and somewhat delicate. I could not think of a better way to work on my penmanship which was tragic at the time. Spent the last year working on it and now my penmanship has improved tremendously. Could I have done it with a less expensive pen? Certainly. Would I have? No.

Looks like i just found my excuse! I’m getting one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 04:13 AM   #194
x29saab
"TRF" Member

LOL. We all just need a slight nudge to justify what we already know we will buy!
x29saab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:49 AM   #195
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x29saab View Post
I did the same thing, but only sort of. I've used MB ballpoints and rollerballs for several years, and wanted to try out the fountain pen experience. I got a cheap Twisbi and it's alright, but a bit skippy. Last week I decided to jump into a deeper part of the pool. I didn't get an MB as they don't sit quite right for me, and ended up getting a Pelikan M800.

The experience at Barcelona's Central de la Estilografica was amazing! The store is bigger than the average Rolex boutique, and they carry pens ranging from 20-1500 Euros. I tried several Pelikan models and nibs and they swapped the exact nib I wanted onto the pen body I wanted. Never having used a pen that feels just right, it was so darn pleasurable. Frictionless fine nib that felt almost like painting. I'm going to ink it up later today
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 02:13 AM   #196
Fifteen
Banned

Hi, I’m currently in Germany for the holidays and would like to buy a pen for myself and a friend. I don’t know anything about pens, but always wanted a MB pen just from a brand perspective. Which model should I consider? Probably will be my one and only nice pen.
Fifteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2022, 09:00 AM   #197
SoylentGreenChi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek, Rolex, Sinn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
Hi, I’m currently in Germany for the holidays and would like to buy a pen for myself and a friend. I don’t know anything about pens, but always wanted a MB pen just from a brand perspective. Which model should I consider? Probably will be my one and only nice pen.
Either the 149 or the 146. Safer and cheaper to go with the MB 146 (less oversized). Assuming you’re only talking about fountain pens, if not, my advice is useless, I have no ballpoint pens other than a single Parker jotter.
SoylentGreenChi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2022, 03:50 AM   #198
Fifteen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoylentGreenChi View Post
Either the 149 or the 146. Safer and cheaper to go with the MB 146 (less oversized). Assuming you’re only talking about fountain pens, if not, my advice is useless, I have no ballpoint pens other than a single Parker jotter.
thanks I think I will go for the 149. looking at the EF nib, but looks like lots of people like MB bc of the B nibs and how smooth it is.

I would like to use this pen as a "daily" while taking notes at work.

would the EF nib last a lifetime, or would it have to be replaced at some point (noob question)
Old 27 December 2022, 11:42 PM   #199
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifteen View Post
thanks I think I will go for the 149. looking at the EF nib, but looks like lots of people like MB bc of the B nibs and how smooth it is.

I would like to use this pen as a "daily" while taking notes at work.

would the EF nib last a lifetime, or would it have to be replaced at some point (noob question)
It's worth heading to a MB boutique to try out the 146/149 as well as a few different nibs. I found the EF to be a bit scratchy, but the F nib to be good smooth and adequately thin for my writing. Broader than that and it may be hard to use as a daily note taker. Regarding the nib's lifetime, these pens hold up very well over decades of use as long as you don't physically damage the nib. If you do, sometimes they can be repaired by either MB or an independent nib repair person.
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2022, 04:09 AM   #200
Fifteen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
It's worth heading to a MB boutique to try out the 146/149 as well as a few different nibs. I found the EF to be a bit scratchy, but the F nib to be good smooth and adequately thin for my writing. Broader than that and it may be hard to use as a daily note taker. Regarding the nib's lifetime, these pens hold up very well over decades of use as long as you don't physically damage the nib. If you do, sometimes they can be repaired by either MB or an independent nib repair person.
Thank you for the advice. I picked up a platinum 149 F today which I’ll use for work/notes, as well as a new 149 curved nib…I wasn’t able to try the curved one but she said it writes like a EF, M, B, and BB all in one, based on the angle in which you hold it.
Old 17 January 2023, 02:14 PM   #201
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Yeah… I need to stay way from this thread. Really tempted to pull the trigger on a MB 146 or 149. I don’t have any nice pens, but they interest me.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2023, 11:38 PM   #202
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
Yeah… I need to stay way from this thread. Really tempted to pull the trigger on a MB 146 or 149. I don’t have any nice pens, but they interest me.
Do it! Do it!
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2023, 08:40 AM   #203
cartesian Product
Banned

If anyone is interested the Meisterstück Calligraphy Solitaire Burgundy Lacquer Flexible Nib is back in stock.

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/foun...418294526.html
cartesian Product is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:16 AM   #204
ERIVO
Banned

I really loves those pens
ERIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2023, 05:19 AM   #205
ERIVO
Banned

I will attest that the MB 149 is the best to get. If you have the change get a LeGrande thats like the Submariner IMHO of the pen world. The black resin classique is like a Rolex
ERIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2023, 01:08 PM   #206
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartesian Product View Post
If anyone is interested the Meisterstück Calligraphy Solitaire Burgundy Lacquer Flexible Nib is back in stock.

https://www.montblanc.com/en-us/foun...418294526.html

Holy COW!

Love that burgundy!

Saving pennies!
Old 7 November 2023, 12:08 PM   #207
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
I remember when I was in the second or third grade I used a $2.00 fountain pen in learning cursive. My interest got renewed back in the 90’s. I don’t use my fountain pens, but roller balls and ball points, coupled with mechanical pencils get used.
Here are some of my MB’s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote