The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 29 November 2022, 03:02 AM   #1
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Incoming: 2 unique vintage Vacherons

VC is my favorite watch brand by far - I am a sucker for non-circular watches with unique case shapes and vacheron does that better than any other brand IMO. I am fortunate enough to have picked up the following 2 VC’s in the last two weeks, each of which epitomize what I love about the brand.

This VC histories Carree is limited to 600 pieces and is a special piece. The watch is truly square, both in its lugs and white gold case. The dial is complex too, with the thick hands, along with sunken cut outs for the numerals and sub seconds that give the watch further depth of design. It is ultra thin, at 7 mm, equipped with a 1017 movement, which VC takes from the JLC 822. Pictures don’t do the shape and dial combination of this watch justice.

Second incoming is a VC “cioccolatone”, 31100. It is the midsize version from the 1990s. First watch in my collection that is older than I am! I love the case shape on this one, sometimes referred to as the Carree galbee (curved square). It is also ultra thin at 6.2 mm, equipped with a VC 1132.2 movement, which VC takes from F. Piguet. The watch appears to retain its original finish and came with its original strap, which I replaced. While the more modern Toledo references retain the amazing case shape of the original, I find their dials to be a little busy, along with a big case shape for what I consider a dress watch. I like that this is a two-hander, time only watch that allows the subtle guilloche and unique hour markers to do the talking.

I always loved the iconic Cartier tank, and this VC has almost the same measurements as the larger tank Louis, which is 33.5 x 25mm (this VC is 33mm x 27.5). However, at less than half the price of a tank Louis, along with a better movement than the modern tanks, I figured this was a much better value buy. While I love the tank design, Cartier’s use of quartz movements, EVEN IN SOME OF THEIR PRECIOUS METAL TANKS, is just a major turn off for me. 30 years ago? fine. Today? Come on! It just totally cheapens the tank line. Being able to add a watch of similar size with the manufacturing chops of VC at this price point was a no brainer for me. The sigma dial, with a square and wavy guilloche center, along with the gold hour markers, really provides this watch with an understated elegance that allows it to slide right under a dress cuff. The case size also allows this watch to be worn more frequently even as a dress piece since its less susceptible to banging into things than say a tank americaine or Reverso, which both have much broader case shapes with high polish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 03:47 AM   #2
Redbox
"TRF" Member

Love the Art Deco look of the first watch. Great find!
Redbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 08:15 AM   #3
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbox View Post
Love the Art Deco look of the first watch. Great find!
Thank you sir The irony is I acquired it by trading a reverso, the ultimate Art Deco watch, which also had the same movement as this watch lol
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:03 PM   #4
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
Very nice piece, thanks for sharing...

Current collection: 1) Rolex Submariner(116610LV), 2) Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional(311.30.42.30.01.006), 3) Rolex GMT-Master II(126710BLNR), 4) Breitling B01 Navitimer 43(AB0138211B1A1)
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote