The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 November 2022, 09:30 AM   #1
saudi
"TRF" Member

Possible Speedmaster 3861 Issue - Need Help.

I got a speedmaster 3861 a few days ago and everything seems fine, today i was playing with the chronograph and flipped the watch suddenly to view the caseback and the movement stopped entirely like i hacked the watch, when i stopped the chrono it started running on its own again. i flipped it again several times and the issue seems to only happen when the chronograph is running, is this normal or should i take it in?

Update: tried replicating the issue again after i made this post, i wound the watch fully and ran the chronograph and it was perfectly fine, does a low power reserve cause the issue mentioned above?

Last edited by saudi; 28 November 2022 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: Update
saudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 09:47 AM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudi View Post
.. is this normal or should i take it in?
Seems abnormal, doesn't it?
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 09:55 AM   #3
saudi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Seems abnormal, doesn't it?
Absolutely, but i wanted to see if anyone else can replicate the issue with their own speedy, will go to the OB tomorrow.
Old 28 November 2022, 10:00 AM   #4
greeneyedguy
Banned

Send it in. I had the same thing happen to my 2016 Heuer Autavia. It was one of their first in house chronograph movements so I figured they were just working the bugs out. I have had 0 issues with it after they fixed it.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 10:24 AM   #5
saudi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
Send it in. I had the same thing happen to my 2016 Heuer Autavia. It was one of their first in house chronograph movements so I figured they were just working the bugs out. I have had 0 issues with it after they fixed it.
I see, read my update above, thank you for your input.
Old 28 November 2022, 10:53 AM   #6
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Speedmaster is a manual watch. In order to properly work, especially the chrono complication, it needs to be wound. If it wasn’t wound fully it could cause those “issues”, after all it’s a chrono and it needs a juice to run, just like any other chronograph watch.
However, if it is fully wound and still does that than you need to send it forservice.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 02:20 PM   #7
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by saudi View Post
... i wound the watch fully and ran the chronograph and it was perfectly fine...
Interesting. How run-down was it when the symptom existed? I guess I tend to assume everyone winds his Speedmaster Pro all the way up every morning.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:19 AM   #8
StanGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT
There have been numerous reports of similar 3861 issues of operation of the chronograph causing the watch to stall, but these almost all seem to be associated with the watch not being sufficiently wound. As a matter of routine, a manual watch should fully wound every day - that is, wound until the winder crown won't turn any further. With a power reserve of around 50 hours this means that the watch is never less than half-wound and there is always enough power for the movement and chronograph to operate together. As Nodzex has said, if the problem occurs with the watch fully wound, then it needs to be sent in for servicing/rectification.

Stan.
StanGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 06:38 AM   #9
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Send it in. I had a 3861 with the same issue, and it happened if fully wound too. It will require a service/ replacement of a few parts. I wonder if your watch had been at the AD for a while as haven’t heard of this for a while. Search for the thread on omega forums which I started.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 09:04 AM   #10
D007
"TRF" Member

Also happened with my 3861. Sent it in and came back working perfectly. Havent had any issue since.
D007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 12:46 AM   #11
rolexafficionado
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 16610
This happened to my 2021 3861 Speedmaster. not specifically when flipping to the other side but whenever I would started the chrono the watch stop and then I started noticing the watch just stopping at random at night when not worn. Seems to be a common enough issue related to a bushing. Had it sent to Omega and the watch is back now after a month working absolutely fine. Omega did not include any notes on what the issue was related to but many threads on this forum hinted at a defective bushing.
rolexafficionado is offline   Reply With Quote