The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 November 2022, 12:07 AM   #91
StevieWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langnam View Post
I spent over a week in Lisbon before moving on to the rest of the country.

I stand by my statement. No one cares about your Rolex in Portugal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes and I have spent many weeks in Barcelona, Rome and also lived in Madrid for a while. Fortunately I haven’t been a target but it happens in all large capital cities. Europe has had a problem with it for many years now and it’s organised crime as opposed to just someone chancing their luck. One week for one tourist does not show the bigger picture.
StevieWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:17 AM   #92
JacksonRain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldboy View Post
I wasn’t quite sure what reference this was until I read “subdials”. Glad to hear you at least got a crack on him, I would also fight for mine. People aren’t replaceable but some watches are also not replaceable and worth the scrap.

I wore my Rolex in Barcelona last year and was very aware of my surroundings, I noticed people looking - and I made sure they knew I saw them. As boxer of 15 years though it doesn’t bother me and I’ll continue to wear my nice watches whenever I travel as long as it isn’t an overly dangerous area like South America.
Yeah, you can't box bullets or knives -- life is too precious for that. You could be as aware as you want or think you are and still get got -- it can happen anywhere anytime. In fact, if you're too brave or bold, that when the knives start stabbing and bullets start flying. It's sad.

OP I'm sorry for what happened. It's disgusting and disgraceful. thank goodness you're physically okay. What a violation.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
JacksonRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:23 AM   #93
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadweller View Post
Sorry to hear, OP. A very sad state of affairs indeed. I hope you recover soon from this nasty experience.

People, Barcelona is notorious for watch thefts. Wear a cheap watch there, same goes with Paris, London, Rome, Brussels, NYC and other big cities with a relatively high crime index. This information is public, do your homework before travelling.

Ask yourself: is the pleasure of wearing a nice piece on the wrist in such places worth the risk of being mugged?
Exactly.

I personally never understand why folks would risk wearing an expensive watch, along with short sleeves, in a big city they don't know. And even more-so when certain cities are renowned for that kind of opportunistic theft.

Personally I adore Barcelona as a city, but wearing an expensive timepiece in certain areas (and yes that very much includes touristy places) is just silly IMO.

That said, I'm just pleased the OP and his GF were unharmed. As others have said, material stuff can be replaced - people can't.
Old 29 November 2022, 01:52 AM   #94
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by domi1 View Post
In Europe, the most famous thieves for stealing watches in citys Napoli, Barcelona and London
Glad the op was uninjured albeit an awful experience,,,,
Not forgetting Amsterdam and Paris,,,
Most of these scum are very organised and some are just opportunists like the chap in West London a while back who had a invicta robbed ,,,,obviously the robbers mistook it for a BLRO ,,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:45 AM   #95
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
My advice (seriously)

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:49 AM   #96
jingerman
"TRF" Member

Really hope those scoundrels get their just desserts!! Can’t believe they just went up and snatch it off, but glad that at least you and your partner are safe and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 03:47 AM   #97
youknow23
"TRF" Member

man that is a shame they spotted that but lucky u were not in a bad area cos chasing them normally ends up in a lot worse situation
youknow23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:26 AM   #98
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Very sorry to hear about this incident. Barcelona has become terrible over the years, and I’m saying this which major regrets, as I had lived there for some time, and have fond memories of wonderful people I met there; crime has just gone off the charts there though, I now avoid visiting.

Had an attempted watch robbery there as well, but luckily, police was nearby and the clasp held up well despite quite some violence; I’d advise to get all the paperwork done not at a regular police station, but the tourist police - they are very helpful and accommodating, and you will get al receipts there to file with your insurance (next to specific watch policies, check your other contracts - credit cards etc., maybe those will cover partially the monetary damage, was the case when I got attacked).

All the best, and again, very sorry to hear!
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:32 AM   #99
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachopc View Post
Europe is exactly what it use to be, the Rolex problem is worldwide, this happens in LA, NY, London, Ibiza, etc my dear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Having lived in BCN and two of the cities you mentioned: this is not true. Barcelona has deteriorated within the last seven years or so on an incredible scale, and violence in theft and robberies has increased along with volume. London and NYC are perfectly safe, without any form of precaution; ask around though who had experienced theft in BCN, and you will get ridiculous numbers. There’s a reason that fast food joints (!) employ security bouncers around plaza Catalunya.
Old 29 November 2022, 05:08 AM   #100
orologiollc
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear. Hope you and your GF are okay?
orologiollc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 05:19 AM   #101
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Having lived in BCN and two of the cities you mentioned: this is not true. Barcelona has deteriorated within the last seven years or so on an incredible scale, and violence in theft and robberies has increased along with volume. London and NYC are perfectly safe, without any form of precaution; ask around though who had experienced theft in BCN, and you will get ridiculous numbers. There’s a reason that fast food joints (!) employ security bouncers around plaza Catalunya.
Sorry, but no, the chance of your Rolex being stolen is exactly the same in NYC as it is in Barcelona. Dudes who joined TRF a long time ago and have high post counts have already settled this issue, and there was even hard data and charts involved Please accept their Royal Edict and refrain from contradicting them until you’ve pledged and joined all giveaways
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 05:55 AM   #102
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Sorry, but no, the chance of your Rolex being stolen is exactly the same in NYC as it is in Barcelona. Dudes who joined TRF a long time ago and have high post counts have already settled this issue, and there was even hard data and charts involved Please accept their Royal Edict and refrain from contradicting them until you’ve pledged and joined all giveaways
Plus, we rarely talk about the specific watch models. My guess is a 30 year old AirKing would be less of a target than a gold Daytona. Heck, that Daytona-looking Seiko above may make one more of a target than said 34mm AirKing.

I’d personally love it if prices fell off a cliff, so we can go on worrying about it less.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 05:57 AM   #103
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
a gypsy also tried to steal my iphone from my hands as i was walking around midtown. that chart makes sense now
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 06:00 AM   #104
Mercutio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And here I was, thinking that actually having lived in all three May count for something - thanks for bringing the folly to my attention that this matter had been settled once and for all

(*retreats in humbled silence to the panic room - what has London come to, one wonders*)
Old 29 November 2022, 06:13 AM   #105
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
a gypsy also tried to steal my iphone from my hands as i was walking around midtown. that chart makes sense now
The correct term is “Travelling Community” — off to sensitivity training you go
Old 29 November 2022, 06:56 AM   #106
dnill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay7484 View Post
I feel like an idiot. I didnt do any research. Generally thought pick-pocket ok, keep items out of pockets that aren't zipped, no purses for the girls, keep your watch on at all times. This happened so quickly, I was trying to hit the guy with my free arm before I knew what was happening. Then they were gone. I am in Europe doing delivery on a Porsche. The car wasn't valeted at the first hotel we stayed at. We parked it in the hotels shared garage and then checked in. We spent four nights in a locals area without any issue. Within 2 hours of checking in at the W we were identified and then targeted. It was either the valet or someone at or real close to the hotel that tipped off the ring. We were in winter clothes, The watch was covered up, oyster flex band, nothing really stuck out without getting close. I went through the motions on the police report today. The police said there is a new, legit mafia, running the watch racket. They said 2-3 watches stolen off of a person a week.
Sad to hear about this. Absolutely do not blame yourself, it’s a bloody shame we can’t wear our watches without being robbed in the middle of the street. When they are tipped off there’s nothing you can do to keep your watch. There are more people around than what you can see and they will use as much violence as is needed to get the watch.
Hope you can enjoy the rest of your stay and your new Porsche without thinking too much about it.
dnill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:02 AM   #107
medcoastsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN, 126234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay7484 View Post
I feel like an idiot. I didnt do any research. Generally thought pick-pocket ok, keep items out of pockets that aren't zipped, no purses for the girls, keep your watch on at all times. This happened so quickly, I was trying to hit the guy with my free arm before I knew what was happening. Then they were gone. I am in Europe doing delivery on a Porsche. The car wasn't valeted at the first hotel we stayed at. We parked it in the hotels shared garage and then checked in. We spent four nights in a locals area without any issue. Within 2 hours of checking in at the W we were identified and then targeted. It was either the valet or someone at or real close to the hotel that tipped off the ring. We were in winter clothes, The watch was covered up, oyster flex band, nothing really stuck out without getting close. I went through the motions on the police report today. The police said there is a new, legit mafia, running the watch racket. They said 2-3 watches stolen off of a person a week.
sorry OP for what happened. that is just very sad
medcoastsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:29 AM   #108
MINOLI
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about your incident OP, I hope you're able to recover your watch or that you had insurance.

I visited Barcelona and other parts of Spain in 2013 with some college buddies. Didn't own a Rolex at the time, but left my other nice watches at home. I recall seeing a younger couple biking near the waterfront, an older guy biking towards them tried ripping the woman's purse off the handle bars of her bike. It almost sent her flying off the bike. Her husband/boyfriend jumped off his bike and was ready to give the old thief a beatdown. I didn't stick around to see the outcome.

I traveled throughout Spain again in 2018 with my wife on our honeymoon. We ended the trip in Barcelona, it was the only area where I felt uneasy at times wearing my Rolex. I'm a bigger guy, and would think I'd be less of a target. All it takes is an attacker/multiple attackers catching you while your guard is down, or with a gun or knife. Be aware of your surroundings and use your best judgement, it can happen to any of us.
MINOLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 08:07 AM   #109
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I don't know about NYC but as a Londoner myself, I don't think you can make that statement.

https://news.met.police.uk/news/thre...-london-457595
Old 29 November 2022, 08:41 AM   #110
kopi-c
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amh View Post
PSA: Wear a Tudor when visiting a bad part of town.
Crazy world we live in right.. glad the OP and his GF are okay, hopefully those criminal thugs will have karma bite them back.

Maybe wear an apple watch instead.. plus it would be very difficult to steal that off a wrist because of the buckle strap.
kopi-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 08:54 AM   #111
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
I’m often weary when travelling!
Try to stay hydrated...and wear a Tissot.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 07:39 AM   #112
Tikoni
Banned

Watch: 116610LV
So sorry for your experience. Glad you and your GF are ok
Tikoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:02 AM   #113
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
My advice (seriously)

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
Not sure wearing a watch that looks exactly like a Daytona is the answer. A G-shock square is probably the best bet. The GW-5000U-1JF looks like it came from Walmart but is a screw back, or, solid core model that can be found in collections alongside Patek's--a piece that still says "enthusiast".
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 08:03 AM   #114
atxwatch
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this happened. Barcelona has quite a dark and gritty underbelly and it pays not to wear flashy things or drive flashy cars.

I, for my part, travel pretty much only with my Omega SMP300 on rubber. That one tends to fly under the radar pretty well. Although I have recently been to London with a Speedy and Germany with a Planet Ocean. But I have not worn a Rolex in Europe in MANY years.
atxwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 09:13 AM   #115
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

The people who are posting on here saying things like “I went to Barcelona, Europe, NY, etc with my Rolex and didn’t get robbed” are delusional
omar-rye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 09:35 AM   #116
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar-rye View Post
The people who are posting on here saying things like “I went to Barcelona, Europe, NY, etc with my Rolex and didn’t get robbed” are delusional
They’re not delusional with respect to not getting robbed — I believe that they didn’t. They’re just making the incorrect logical leap that because they didn’t get robbed, the locale was perfectly safe. This being a Rolex luxury watch forum, we have a lot of members who insist their personal experience is objective truth and are consistently dismissive of other viewpoints
Old 1 December 2022, 11:06 AM   #117
Porkbelli
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They’re not delusional with respect to not getting robbed — I believe that they didn’t. They’re just making the incorrect logical leap that because they didn’t get robbed, the locale was perfectly safe. This being a Rolex luxury watch forum, we have a lot of members who insist their personal experience is objective truth and are consistently dismissive of other viewpoints
Porkbelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 11:28 AM   #118
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
That’s terrible. I hope you were insured and it’s good to know you weren’t hurt, oh and that you landed one on the scumbag
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 11:50 AM   #119
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
I have to ask, why is it so often we see and read these reports of stolen or lost threads, posted by new members, most commonly with less than a handful of posts?

Surely a quick search would reveal the opinions and advice of long time members, BEFORE traveling with a luxury watch.

So, wait til my watch gets ripped off my arm, THEN go to a Rolex Forum.....

Certainly a great way to document......
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2022, 12:43 PM   #120
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRickles View Post
I have to ask, why is it so often we see and read these reports of stolen or lost threads, posted by new members, most commonly with less than a handful of posts?

Surely a quick search would reveal the opinions and advice of long time members, BEFORE traveling with a luxury watch.

So, wait til my watch gets ripped off my arm, THEN go to a Rolex Forum.....

Certainly a great way to document......
Easy. Google “Rolex stolen [insert city]” and some of the results will be from TRF. That’s how a lot of victims end up here