The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 28 November 2022, 11:32 AM   #3121
h.to
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico7rico View Post
I got the call almost 4 weeks ago that I will be allocated the 7900v black.

My boutique SA told me that the watch will arrive on Nov 8th and I could pick it up on the 12th but he canceled on a day before picking it up. He said the watch was stuck in Switzerland and would need more time to come, promising me it will be here later this month but would need me to put a deposit first. I agreed and planned to put a deposit this past Saturday but he canceled on me again.

Now I would need to wait till mid December or even early Jan to put a deposit and believe the watch won’t be with me until later.

Can someone understand the industry explain to me why my SA keeps postponing the deposit payment/ watch delivery? I guess I’m trying to find a possible reason here…

Sounds a bit weird. Perhaps they mixed up the allocations. FYR, there is a black 7900V on display in boutique. I viewed it just the past week.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised they did mix up the allocations bc they called me last year and told me I'm next in line for a 4500V white face but in reality, I never put my name down for that watch. They later apologised and said it was a mix up and that I was still in line for my desired piece.
h.to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:00 AM   #3122
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage View Post
Yes -- fairly recently (within the past few months), they switched to providing a calf strap vs the gator one. Whether this is due to cost considerations or regulatory ones (i.e. California as a state has issues with shipment of exotic animal skin straps..), we won't know for certain.
Well, that's a shame. The gator strap looks so much nicer. Regular calf is a downgrade, especially for a watch with this pedigree and at this price point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC GATOR SUN-TRF.jpg (282.6 KB, 867 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:30 AM   #3123
raclaims
"TRF" Member

The gator is def nicer than the new strap to me at least...I'm sure they will continue to improve it...I hope
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 05:26 AM   #3124
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
I very much regret passing on an Overseas Dual Time several years ago. Oh well
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:20 AM   #3125
wsrobert
"TRF" Member

Not sure what everyone's talking about in regard to the 4500/7900 now coming with calf vs gator. Just picked up my 7900 from the NYC boutique last week and it came with the black gator.

That said, I'm swapping it out for a small scale, matte gator instead.
wsrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 07:37 AM   #3126
Jmaster
"TRF" Member

Guess you’re lucky to still get the gator strap. I picked up my 7900 2 weeks ago and it comes with the Calf version.
Old 29 November 2022, 08:45 AM   #3127
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Not sure why they would have switched from "gator" to calfskin. There are import restrictions on certain animal skins, but in terms of watch straps, I'm only aware of restrictions on crocodile skins. Alligator skin is readily available and not restricted to my knowledge (hell, you can even eat gator if you want to).
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:04 PM   #3128
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsrobert View Post
Not sure what everyone's talking about in regard to the 4500/7900 now coming with calf vs gator. Just picked up my 7900 from the NYC boutique last week and it came with the black gator.

That said, I'm swapping it out for a small scale, matte gator instead.
You're lucky indeed! Perhaps some old straps still moving through inventory. Mine is calf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Not sure why they would have switched from "gator" to calfskin. There are import restrictions on certain animal skins, but in terms of watch straps, I'm only aware of restrictions on crocodile skins. Alligator skin is readily available and not restricted to my knowledge (hell, you can even eat gator if you want to).
American Alligator (alligator mississippiensis) and Crocodiles commonly used in straps (Crocodylus niloticus and Crocodylus porosus come to mind) are all trade restricted under the same CITES classification (Appendix II to be precise). American alligator, for example, requires CITES paperwork to ship the skins from the US to EU, then another round of CITES paperwork to ship the straps out of the EU. It's a real PITA

California tried banning the sale of alligator/croc items back in 2019, but it was challenged and has been stuck in the court system as far as I know. My hunch is that some companies (perhaps VC?) have started switching thing up preemptively.
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 12:49 PM   #3129
raclaims
"TRF" Member

I got an overseas a few weeks ago and it came with calf
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:10 PM   #3130
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

They only advertise the calf option under overseas range on VC website
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 10:34 PM   #3131
lmdh
2024 Pledge Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 02:53 AM   #3132
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmdh View Post

Very nice!

Old 30 November 2022, 02:53 AM   #3133
Watchflair
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclaims View Post
I got an overseas a few weeks ago and it came with calf

Same - mine same with the calf as well. It’s actually a very nice strap. I’ll post some pics.

Old 30 November 2022, 05:50 AM   #3134
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

I've read some chatter about differences in the blue dial of the VC Overseas three-hander, from the early versions to now. I'm very confident it's true.

I've owned two of them, the first in 2017 and the second in 2019, and have since sold both. I just spent about an hour with a brand new one. Quite the difference. The earlier versions had a more vibrant hue that caught turquoise highlights around the inner chapter ring. The version I just saw did not catch the light the same way and had dark highlights on parts of the dial that I don't remember.

Anyone else experience this or hear anything about it?

Here's a photo of the first one I owned. If you see at the 6 and 36 second mark on the inner ring, there's a turquoise highlight. I couldn't duplicate that on the new one. That's only one of several differences I noticed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-SUN-TRF-2020.jpg (287.1 KB, 760 views)
Old 30 November 2022, 06:03 AM   #3135
TheMuffinator
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I've read some chatter about differences in the blue dial of the VC Overseas three-hander, from the early versions to now. I'm here to say that I very confident it's true.

I've owned two of them, the first in 2017 and the second in 2019, and have since sold both. I just spent about an hour with a brand new one. Quite the difference. The earlier versions had a more vibrant hue that caught turquoise highlights around the inner chapter ring. The version I just saw did not catch the light the same way and had dark highlights on parts of the dial that I never remembered.

Here's a photo of the first one I owned. If you see at the 6 and 36 second mark on the inner ring, there's a turquoise highlight. I couldn't duplicate that on the new one. That's only one of several differences I noticed.
Would you say you prefer the newer or older dials?
TheMuffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 06:48 AM   #3136
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934

Quick and dirty here’s one ‘older’ and one ‘newer’. I assume there’s some variability in all dials due to how the dial is crafted but my eyes are terrible so can’t discern too much.

PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 06:57 AM   #3137
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

I don't have personal access to old vs new VC Overseas in blue, so I'm not sure if there are dial changes. It does seem the old dial is glossier than the new dial, but it could be lighting, picture angle etc. I don't see a difference though in terms of the glint of color near the rehaut.
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2022, 06:59 AM   #3138
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinator View Post
Would you say you prefer the newer or older dials?
I prefer the older, first generation dials. The new ones are still beautiful, but I noticed large black highlights on the one I handled today that weren't on the older ones. I'm not crazy about that effect.

Here's a borrowed photo of a 2021. Those dark highlights on the top and bottom of the dial don't exist to this degree on the older dials, not in my memory anyway. Lighting in photos is a big factor, of course, but the older ones were definitely different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC Dial-NEW.jpg (227.4 KB, 753 views)
Old 1 December 2022, 11:08 AM   #3139
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Has anyone had the rear glass engraved by VC?

It's an option I am currently exploring.
Old 1 December 2022, 12:04 PM   #3140
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
I'm sad.. I returned my 12mth old Gen 3 overseas DT to the boutique as it was losing time excessively (hours at a time - I had to wind it each morning). 1 week to review and quoted 7 weeks for a full service. The time quoted is quite attractive, just the timing sucks it's over the holidays.

Watch was never dropped or received any hits etc, so not to sure why/what happened.
I'm now happy! A full service was carried out and my watch is now ready to collect - less than a month turn around from dropping it off! Unfortunately no notes were left by the watchmaker to confirm why the failure occured.
Old 1 December 2022, 12:20 PM   #3141
PPFANBOY
"TRF" Member

I guess I have a type...��
Old 2 December 2022, 12:12 AM   #3142
bravodeltawhiskey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've read some chatter about differences in the blue dial of the VC Overseas three-hander, from the early versions to now. I'm very confident it's true.

I've owned two of them, the first in 2017 and the second in 2019, and have since sold both. I just spent about an hour with a brand new one. Quite the difference. The earlier versions had a more vibrant hue that caught turquoise highlights around the inner chapter ring. The version I just saw did not catch the light the same way and had dark highlights on parts of the dial that I don't remember.

There is definitely variation which I attribute to variability in the lacquer process. I have some interesting photos that I will post as soon as possible I find my blue dial shifts from black to blue to an almost a lavender/purple color.
bravodeltawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 04:16 AM   #3143
bravodeltawhiskey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravodeltawhiskey View Post
There is definitely variation which I attribute to variability in the lacquer process. I have some interesting photos that I will post as soon as possible I find my blue dial shifts from black to blue to an almost a lavender/purple color.
Here are several shots of my blue dual time showing color variation as the result of a change in the angle of lighting. The other image compares
2018 4500V vs 2022 7900V
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (126.0 KB, 649 views)
File Type: jpg Slide2.jpg (120.2 KB, 645 views)
Old 2 December 2022, 08:53 AM   #3144
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravodeltawhiskey View Post
Here are several shots of my blue dual time showing color variation as the result of a change in the angle of lighting. The other image compares
2018 4500V vs 2022 7900V
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Makes each watch unique!
Old 2 December 2022, 01:24 PM   #3145
Pesto628
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmdh View Post

Awesome! How do you feel the Vagenari straps compare to OEM?

Pesto628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2022, 10:28 PM   #3146
bravodeltawhiskey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Makes each watch unique!
Yes, thanks! I agree that not all blue dials seem to show the turquoise highlights . . .

Happy Friday!
Old 3 December 2022, 04:38 PM   #3147
eliaalsayegh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rlx
Old dial vs new

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSyzJCeD...d=ZDhmZGIxNmQ=
eliaalsayegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2022, 12:41 AM   #3148
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliaalsayegh View Post
Exactly this on the three-hander Overseas too! Not necessarily a bad change, just different. Thanks for sharing.

The newer dial has a more midnight blue look when the light is not hitting it. It's definitely slightly darker, but also richer and more liquidy, if that makes sense.
Old 6 December 2022, 03:25 PM   #3149
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

There was recent discussion either in this topic or another on this board regarding the micro-adjustments on the bracelet.

I have just received my watch back from service and its been on my wrist all day without the extensions expanding/opening; where previously it would occur almost instantly. Perhaps dirt/grime is the reason behind it, as the bracelet was cleaned with the service?
Old 7 December 2022, 05:15 AM   #3150
mayank1280
"TRF" Member

Have they stopped giving physical Geneva seal papers in new 2022 overseas?

mayank1280 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vacheron , vacheronconstantin