The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 November 2022, 12:57 AM   #1
LuxeRolex
Banned

What is an E Serial Submariner in terms of

Year? Found a used rolex at the rolex store online - the one on 5th ave here in NYC. It has an "E" serial number. What year would that make it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 69133929511__4A238801-DEFA-49A3-9FB0-E57A5D7E97FF.jpeg (120.7 KB, 112 views)
LuxeRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 01:25 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

If you go to the main forum you will find a sub forum with reference information. In the sub forum there is a sticky thread with a serial number table. It’s approximate but good enough.
Old 29 November 2022, 01:55 AM   #3
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
If you go to the main forum you will find a sub forum with reference information. In the sub forum there is a sticky thread with a serial number table. It’s approximate but good enough.
Thanks. I looked. Unless I read wrong, looks to be 1980's
Old 29 November 2022, 02:01 AM   #4
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
E serials tend to be circa 1990 with some overlap into 1991. 1980s is early for the E serial numbers.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:08 AM   #5
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

there is no used rolex store on 5th avenue...

This appears to be the diamond district. 0 affiliation with Rolex.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:20 AM   #6
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan0704 View Post
there is no used rolex store on 5th avenue...

This appears to be the diamond district. 0 affiliation with Rolex.
There is a wempe AD and a rolex store on 6th ave and one (AD Tourneau) in the meatpacking district. Im here in NYC and I know.

Bottom line, Im getting an authentic submariner today

Today is a good day!
Old 29 November 2022, 02:47 AM   #7
dhknola
"TRF" Member

Looks like a solid 16610 - what are they asking for it?
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:53 AM   #8
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxeRolex View Post
Thanks. I looked. Unless I read wrong, looks to be 1980's
Not sure how you got that.

"E" prefix serials were first seen in the marketplace in ~1990, and were likely being made into 1992/93. It would be a solid 16610 with the latest 904L Stainless case and a bulletproof 3135 movement.

It's a good choice for a Sub Date.
Old 29 November 2022, 03:01 AM   #9
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhknola View Post
Looks like a solid 16610 - what are they asking for it?
I'll tell you when i bring it home later today
Old 29 November 2022, 03:05 AM   #10
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There is a wempe AD and a rolex store on 6th ave and one (AD Tourneau) in the meatpacking district. Im here in NYC and I know.

Bottom line, Im getting an authentic submariner today

Today is a good day!
The wempe AD on 5th avenue does not sell used Rolexes. Neither does the Tourneau-owned Rolex Boutique in Meatpacking (which isn't on 5th avenue). There is no Rolex store on 6th avenue. It is a Tourneau.

You posted a picture from a diamond district booth. I live here. I know. Bottom line sounds like you're taking a massive risk and are not sure what you're buying. Just buying for the sake of the watch saying "rolex" with no regard for whats inside of it or the year or the full originality of the watch.
Old 29 November 2022, 03:15 AM   #11
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
The wempe AD on 5th avenue does not sell used Rolexes. Neither does the Tourneau-owned Rolex Boutique in Meatpacking (which isn't on 5th avenue). There is no Rolex store on 6th avenue. It is a Tourneau.

You posted a picture from a diamond district booth. I live here. I know. Bottom line sounds like you're taking a massive risk and are not sure what you're buying. Just buying for the sake of the watch saying "rolex" with no regard for whats inside of it or the year or the full originality of the watch.
Thanks for your concern and have a great day.
Old 29 November 2022, 03:29 AM   #12
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:

Pulled the trigger on this. Didnt even get the Sub. Not a fan of Diamonds, but hey, this is what I got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4393.jpg (151.6 KB, 91 views)
Old 29 November 2022, 03:36 AM   #13
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on this. Didnt even get the Sub. Not a fan of Diamonds, but hey, this is what I got.
Old 29 November 2022, 03:48 AM   #14
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
OK, this is just ridiculous. First you're "an avid rolex and zenith collector... I have quite a few vintage rolexes, some solid gold, etc. and a lot of zeniths, including 2 Kennedy watches from the 60s." Then, it appears you don't know much about them at all. Then you want advice about a seller here, then a booth dealer in the Diamond District, then you're at a "used Rolex store" on 5th ave, then you declare that you're absolutely getting a Sub today, which makes it "a good day", then you post a picture of a dubious-looking Daytona which you don't seem to even like.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 03:50 AM   #15
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
OK, this is just ridiculous. First you're "an avid rolex and zenith collector... I have quite a few vintage rolexes, some solid gold, etc. and a lot of zeniths, including 2 Kennedy watches from the 60s." Then, it appears you don't know much about them at all. Then you want advice about a seller here, then a booth dealer in the Diamond District, then you're at a "used Rolex store" on 5th ave, then you declare that you're absolutely getting a Sub today, which makes it "a good day", then you post a picture of a dubious-looking Daytona which you don't seem to even like.
You took the words right out of my mouth lol. Couldn't have said it any better myself. Also look at the time that elapsed between when he said he would disclose the price of the submariner that he was 100% getting today and then posts the diamond Daytona he says he doesn't even like
Old 29 November 2022, 03:59 AM   #16
dhknola
"TRF" Member

I am not familiar with that Daytona dial...Good luck OP and enjoy your watch.
dhknola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 04:22 AM   #17
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
You took the words right out of my mouth lol. Couldn't have said it any better myself. Also look at the time that elapsed between when he said he would disclose the price of the submariner that he was 100% getting today and then posts the diamond Daytona he says he doesn't even like
Thanks for your concern. Im super thankful for the info I received in the forum
Old 29 November 2022, 04:32 AM   #18
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Thanks for your concern. Im super thankful for the info I received in the forum, though I did not end up getting a submariner, which honestly would have been a WHOLE lot cheaper.

Since Ive got this watch I cant see myself posting in the near future so to all I say thanks again and ...

Happy Holidays.
Asking for info from the forum on Daytonas is what you should’ve been doing.
Old 29 November 2022, 04:37 AM   #19
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

He was trolling us all along.
Old 29 November 2022, 04:51 AM   #20
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
Trolling is an overused and cliche term on the net. Ppl with real lives dont have time to troll.

No Dan I wasnt trolling, and if you had a submariner, as I inquired over private message, I might have bought it from you.

Anyhow, my wife has a black on black rolex and she wants us to match for a NYE party we are going to. The Daytona distracted me but I do now need to get a submariner. A local rolex watch guy, revered in the city, appears to have a great collection of watches. The place where I got the used Daytona recommended him. They gave me his number (dont ask me any questions about him. Hes got a sterling reputation and is about 75 and is a authorized repair person).

He has a 1989 Sub and sent me photos. The bezel is scratched but I like it. It has character. What do you think:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (61.9 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-1.jpg (27.6 KB, 79 views)
Old 29 November 2022, 04:58 AM   #21
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Trolling is an overused and cliche term on the net. Ppl with real lives dont have time to troll.

No Dan I wasnt trolling, and if you had a submariner, as I inquired over private message, I might have bought it from you.

Anyhow, my wife has a black on black rolex and she wants us to match for a NYE party we are going to. The Daytona distracted me but I do now need to get a submariner. A local rolex watch guy, revered in the city, appears to have a great collection of watches. The place where I got the used Daytona recommended him. They gave me his number (dont ask me any questions about him. Hes got a sterling reputation and is about 75 and is a authorized repair person).

He has a 1989 Sub and sent me photos. The bezel is scratched but I like it. It has character. What do you think:
Please tell us about that Daytona. Never seen a dial like that. Will you be returning it now that you’ve found a Sub that you want?
Old 29 November 2022, 05:01 AM   #22
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
By the way, these are my zenith watches. remember when I said i had a black on black Kennedy AND a gold Kennedy? Well here they are, on the extreme right and extreme left. Im not trolling, im for real
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1188.jpg (120.4 KB, 77 views)
Old 29 November 2022, 05:04 AM   #23
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
Please tell us about that Daytona. Never seen a dial like that. Will you be returning it now that you’ve found a Sub that you want?
Im going to keep the daytona. I will fill you in about it later.

What do you think of the sub i just posted? and is that to much slack in the link? And whats a good price for it? the old guy wants 7900 see below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (61.9 KB, 76 views)
Old 29 November 2022, 05:31 AM   #24
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

What a joke. I hope you're getting a laugh out of this. Scratch on the bezel, slack in the link. Give me a break.
Old 29 November 2022, 05:35 AM   #25
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
What a joke. I hope you're getting a laugh out of this. Scratch on the bezel, slack in the link. Give me a break.
You know, Im not in forums often but the prevalence of negativity and attacks and assumptions is really unfortunate.

Ppl assume the worst, behave in an unkind manner, and generally seem to be looking to squabble. Im here asking serious questions expecting an answer. I said I had vintage zeniths an proved it. Im as real as they come, not a troll, as older ppl are so quick to say.

If you doubt me, please refrain from responding to me at all. Just ignore me.

Thanks
Old 29 November 2022, 05:39 AM   #26
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A local rolex watch guy, revered in the city, appears to have a great collection of watches. The place where I got the used Daytona recommended him. They gave me his number (dont ask me any questions about him. Hes got a sterling reputation and is about 75 and is a authorized repair person).
Why not ask any questions about him? This revered 75 year old guy, aka. WatchRapport, is a company that has anything far from a "sterling reputation".

Read up:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=826298

Oh, and how do I know it's the same guy? Here you go:

https://watchrapport.com/products/ro...42870387278023
Old 29 November 2022, 05:44 AM   #27
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Im here asking serious questions expecting an answer.
This "serious questions" nonsense goes both ways. One moment you're dead set on picking up ANY Submariner, then you suddenly buy a Daytona that costs a whole lot more than any Sub you were looking at, yet refuse to reply to any questions about it. Where did the Daytona come from? What model is it? What year? Surely, you know the answers to these since you chose to buy it. How much was it??
Old 29 November 2022, 05:44 AM   #28
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
Why not ask any questions about him? This revered 75 year old guy, aka. WatchRapport, is a company that has anything far from a "sterling reputation".

Read up:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=826298

Oh, and how do I know it's the same guy? Here you go:

https://watchrapport.com/products/ro...42870387278023

Thats not even the guy Im dealing with! Youve gone out of your way dedicate time and research and ASSUME thats the guy Im dealing with, and its not.

I have no idea what goes on in ppls lives to make them SO angry and so enticed to conflict. This is ridiculous.

As a happy person with a great career, 2 kids and in a happy marriage, I cannot comprehend how ppl just lash out and assume and post things like you just have. Its absolutely astounding. I wont respond again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

it is what it is
Old 29 November 2022, 05:46 AM   #29
LuxeRolex
Banned

Quote:
This "serious questions" nonsense goes both ways. One moment you're dead set on picking up ANY Submariner, then you suddenly buy a Daytona that costs a whole lot more than any Sub you were looking at, yet refuse to reply to any questions about it. Where did the Daytona come from? What model is it? What year? Surely, you know the answers to these since you chose to buy it. How much was it??
Happy ppl do Happy things. Im happy so I dont really get ppl who appear combative or unhappy.

Im sorry, Im not answering ANY of your questions. You seem to want a fight and youre not getting one from me.

have a nice day.
Old 29 November 2022, 05:48 AM   #30
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

What is wrong with some of you people?

Thats not even the guy Im dealing with! Youve gone out of your way dedicate time and research and ASSUME thats the guy Im dealing with, and its not.

I have no idea what goes on in ppls lives to make them SO angry and so enticed to conflict. This is ridiculous.

As a happy person with a great career, 2 kids and in a happy marriage, I cannot comprehend how ppl just lash out and assume and post things like you just have. Its absolutely astounding. I wont respond again.

Thanks for your thoughts.

it is what it is
Let me explain. Members don't like it when new people come onto the forum, ask for help, receive generous help freely given, and then get caught telling blatant falsehoods, repeatedly.