The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 November 2020, 04:31 PM   #91
PBJ1925
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 326934
With insurance and staying in comparatively safe countries / areas, never really gave it much thought.
PBJ1925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:42 PM   #92
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Just curious how others feel — When traveling overseas, I never bring a Rolex or other watch that I don’t consider “disposable” — too concerned with thieves and attracting unnecessary attention to oneself, especially in large cities. Am I alone in this concern?
The way I think of it is this - if I’m slightly worried about my watch, wear one that doesn’t stress you out. Life is too short to be stressed just so you can wear a watch.

When I do wear a nice watch, I take precautions when I get to the airports. I try to spend as little time through checkpoints as possible. Before I get in line, I find a quiet spot and remove anything that would slow me down in the security line and place it in my carryon. At the security line, I will not step into the metal detector until my bag is in the machine.

This has worked out for me in all my travels.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:50 PM   #93
Sim1
"TRF" Member

I usually bring a nice watch, and an Apple Watch.
Sim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 10:35 PM   #94
LDN
"TRF" Member

Just because it has not happen does not mean it won’t. There had been cases where the victims lost their hands along with their Rolies!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 02:59 AM   #95
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
After a long career of international travel, in SA, SEA, Africa, as well as Europe, Russia and China I wore my watches including Rolex, Omega, Tag. The only watch I got a comment on is my Tissot T-Touch Solar from an outdoor type I met in Singapore.

That said my collection is insured.
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 07:58 AM   #96
Aldwyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Mast II 116713
As others have indicated, it depends on where I am going. Australia, New Zealand, Western Europe... no problem!

Caribbean, Mexico, Eastern Europe (with the exception of Prague), I wear a Tag... (and if it is Eastern Europe, I might be buying a Vostok or 2!)
Aldwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2020, 10:29 AM   #97
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
I always wear my 116710 when traveling abroad and to all places I travel. I never even think twice about wearing it or insuring it.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 02:27 AM   #98
betterwatchit
"TRF" Member

Historically, I’ve always worn my submariner, with no problems whatsoever. My situation awareness is good and I do tend to travel in a low-key way. I also tend to wear long sleeve shirts, even long sleeve t shirts in the summer. It’s fairly easy to hide the watch if needed.
betterwatchit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:27 AM   #99
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

DSSD can handle any trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:56 AM   #100
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebM View Post
I’ve got insurance and long sleeves wear your Rolex...

Agree with this in long sleeve season. But I would never wear it with short sleeve in most European countries. They actually have something that's no longer an issue in the US... mugging.

Of course this is sort of counteracted by the fact that almost every guy in major Euro cities have what seems like a Rolex or Pam, real or not, most are fake. But it's all opportunistic, the petty criminals are very good at telling who's from out of town.
ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 07:02 AM   #101
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Mugging is a real thing in Europe at least (and most anywhere south of the equator). I have non-Rolex watches that I wear for travel outside NA!
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 07:48 AM   #102
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Le sigh....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 07:52 AM   #103
Jimmy66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post
Mugging is a real thing in Europe at least (and most anywhere south of the equator). I have non-Rolex watches that I wear for travel outside NA!
Europe has got a lot worse in my lifetime. Real shame...
Jimmy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 08:02 AM   #104
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLEXROLEXROLEXRO View Post
Agree with this in long sleeve season. But I would never wear it with short sleeve in most European countries. They actually have something that's no longer an issue in the US... mugging.

Of course this is sort of counteracted by the fact that almost every guy in major Euro cities have what seems like a Rolex or Pam, real or not, most are fake. But it's all opportunistic, the petty criminals are very good at telling who's from out of town.
Very true, my wife's relatives in Spain say they can tell Americans just by their walk and behavior.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 08:07 AM   #105
spare
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Very true, my wife's relatives in Spain say they can tell Americans just by their walk and behavior.
Shoes and fitment of the clothes my friend.
90% of the time they wear running sneakers and oversized khakis and polos. Baseball cap to complete the look.
It's true that an American tourist is usually easy to spot in a European city :)

No disrespect meant btw...
Old 30 November 2020, 10:41 AM   #106
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
If I have to travel to a place where there is potential of getting robbed I'll take a Seiko quartz or a Squale.

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 11:27 AM   #107
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

Use common sense. For example. Don't drink too much and leave the bar alone
Watchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 11:40 AM   #108
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Some quite incredibly ignorant, miss informed and uneducated statements in this thread about where’s dangerous and where isn’t. I’ve never read so much garbage as some of the posts here.
At the end of the day, you can get mugged in your own back yard, regardless of where that is, but don’t generalise about geographical locations, especially if you’ve never travelled there for yourself. You just make yourself look rediculous.
Seems like some people here wouldn’t leave the boundaries of their own neighbourhood for fear of the outside world.
Use common sense, regardless of whether you’re in Manhattan or the back streets of Basra.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 11:47 AM   #109
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

Great comment. Once someone starts traveling regularly, common sense prevails. Don’t flash wealth and be obnoxious, and you will be fine in 99% of the globe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Some quite incredibly ignorant, miss informed and uneducated statements in this thread about where’s dangerous and where isn’t. I’ve never read so much garbage as some of the posts here.
At the end of the day, you can get mugged in your own back yard, regardless of where that is, but don’t generalise about geographical locations, especially if you’ve never travelled there for yourself. You just make yourself look rediculous.
Seems like some people here wouldn’t leave the boundaries of their own neighbourhood for fear of the outside world.
Use common sense, regardless of whether you’re in Manhattan or the back streets of Basra.
rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 11:48 AM   #110
rmwill
2024 Pledge Member

So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spare View Post
90% of the time they wear running sneakers and oversized khakis and polos. Baseball cap to complete the look.
It's true that an American tourist is usually easy to spot in a European city :)

rmwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 12:10 PM   #111
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post
Exactly my point for sighing above. I'm not so sure is it the lack of being cultured or educated, that some folks here think that every where in the world outside NA is a war zone full of muggers.

Seriously sentences like "anywhere south of the equator" is not safe to wear a Rolex cause of muggings? Never heard a more ignorant bull shit comment in my life.

Anyways, always thought threads like these should be locked due to the fake crap being spread in them.
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 01:36 PM   #112
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

if you are unable to avoid being foolish/unaware it probably doesn't matters all that much if you are in one of the aforementioned dens of thieves or wherever you feel most safe in public.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 03:48 PM   #113
rl96701
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
I have travelled all around the world with no issue. I usually wear a 116710LN on a oysterflex OR a 214720.

rl96701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 07:34 AM   #114
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post

When I lived in GB, my friends told me the same thing.

These threads always seem to descend into chaos.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 08:14 AM   #115
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Just curious how others feel — When traveling overseas, I never bring a Rolex or other watch that I don’t consider “disposable” — too concerned with thieves and attracting unnecessary attention to oneself, especially in large cities. Am I alone in this concern?
I would feel half complete without one of my Rolexes on when travelling. I make sure to take one that suits my wardrobe for the trip.

I've been all over Europe and haven't encountered any issues, actually no one has ever noticed my watch or given any comment when travelling. You do need to be aware of your surroundings and be a little street smart, don't venture into bad areas of town etc..
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 08:17 AM   #116
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by spare View Post

Yes this is 100% accurate, American style is completely different. It's very easy to spot in the UK and EU.

Same for when a European travels to America, it's slim fit vs big and baggy lol
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 09:04 AM   #117
10XRolex
2024 Pledge Member

I'm all in when I travel. I just brought the Hulk, the AP RO and the AP titanium Offshore.
10XRolex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 10:23 AM   #118
amanbra
"TRF" Member

My travel watch is a SBGN005. It's the perfect blend of functionality, nice watch but one that I don't mind if I lose it nor is it likely to attract attention for stealing. At the moment I'm mainly traveling to South East Asia so I'd prefer not to be wearing a Rolex etc. Also when I meet staff I don't want to be wearing something that's more than their annual salary. They know I'm their boss and wouldn't think much of it but I still rather not.
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 10:42 AM   #119
Yess
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
I wonder if there is correlation between those who won't travel with their Rolex, and those who won't let their Rolex get wet?
Yess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 10:46 AM   #120
Strummer25
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K Dj41 SubC YM
If you feel safe at destination take whatever you want. If not Gshock
Strummer25 is offline   Reply With Quote