The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 15 December 2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Alc
"TRF" Member

First Rolex GMT II or Yacht Master ?

So I have wanted the 2 tone blue and gold Sub since I got in the car business 16 years ago, now that Im in a position to take the plunge it seems like everyone and their mother has this watch so I started leaning towards the GMT "batman" then I came across the Platinum Yacht Master with blue dial and can't decide? Any suggestions or advantages to consider one over the other? I like that the GMT has the traditional look of a Sub and the Yacht Master is less common but aside from that I haven't read that there isn't a lot of differences between the two?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 10.53.13 PM.jpg (45.2 KB, 3977 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-14 at 10.46.49 PM.jpg (58.6 KB, 3970 views)
Alc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I actually don't own either but I've certainly been around these watches one way or another to offer a little bit of advice.

Let's start with function and practicality:
The gmts 24 hour hand is not for everyone, I'd be willing to bet 90% of its users have never even set it. Don't let that deter you you though, I've never taken my submariner below 8ft and My Yachtmaster has never been on even a rowboat. But it's still important to know if it's something that is important to you. If you're unfamiliar with the function, do some research so you can go into your decision in the know. Same thing applies to the directional bezel of the Yachtmaster. If there's some reason this function suits your needs, make a point to consider than when balancing the decision scale.

Aesthetics and fit:
This is likely going to be the most important aspects of your decision. Let's begin with the size. Both watches have 40mm cases. Keep in mind the BLNR will wear more like a 41-42mm while the Yachtmaster is a bit more true to 40mm. If you have a big wrist and stature you might lean more towards the BLNR. I personally tend to gravitate towards bigger watches (even with a not so big wrist) which is why I never pulled the trigger on the YM even though it is a watch I've always loved! Perhaps the size doesn't matter to you so moving on to aesthetics...

This is going to easily be the most subjective topic. Which do you like more, which is more pleasing to you eye, which sings to you, etc?

IMO the BLNR will be the more versatile watch. The YM is truly stunning, so much so that I think it pops in any scene with any outfit on any wrist. It's definitely a watch that will get more attention (IMO).

Materials: aside from the aesthetics and overall design of the watch the only difference I know of is the Ceramic bezel. Ceramic is relatively new to the watch scene so it's not for everyone. I wore a 16610 Submariner with an aluminum bezel for 15 years. I was completely blown away by the ceramic bezel on my 116610. It's become above and beyond my favorite watch and a big part of that is the ceramic bezel.

Lastly a little about you: do you have any other watches? Have you tried these watches on yet? I know you said you work in the auto business but does your job require a daily suit and tie, or mechanical attire or casual clothing?

Most important thing is that you get to an authorized dealer and try both watches on. If you don't know after that experience, keep internet stalking and researching. Instagram has a lot of amazing photos. And periodically check back in at the AD to try them on again.

Keep us updated and best of luck!
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 03:12 PM   #3
silverbullet818
"TRF" Member

Don't forget about the cost difference.

The BLNR is a stainless watch. The YM is platinum (based on your original email) so there will be a huge price difference.
silverbullet818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 03:45 PM   #4
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

Fascinating post so I felt compelled to add my 2 cents as a person who has just SOLD a TT Sub and is chasing a BLNR but certainly has eyes for the blue dial YM. Great possibilities you have there!
I have tried on both extensively and the YM is a smaller feeling watch. it even looks a little smaller too because the colour of the Pt bezel blends with the case. [note only the bezel is platinum.] They both have same dial size though. Case on YM has curved sides not straight and smaller lugs than the GMT but not by much. YM's lugs are polished too, unlike GMT II.
I LOVE blue dials which is why I went for the TT Sub and the YM's dial is totally gorgeous even though it's not the same shade of royal blue as the sub has.
If you think you'd ever sell it then go for the BLNR as they have far greater demand than the YM second hand. The BLNR is so popular that there must be plenty out there though so if you want a bit of exclusivity[ which is why you didn't go TT Sub] then the YM will do it. More likely to get a deal on a YM too.
Pros and Cons!
I am chasing a BLNR but the YM blue would be a close second choice because of the blue dial mainly . Hard decision. Love to know which way you go.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2015, 04:06 PM   #5
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet818 View Post
Don't forget about the cost difference.

The BLNR is a stainless watch. The YM is platinum (based on your original email) so there will be a huge price difference.
Yeah as mentioned in Alan's post, the bezel is the only platinum piece of the YM. Yes the msrp is higher on the YM but trusted seller route can get you either watch BNIB within $500 of one another.
Old 16 December 2015, 04:09 PM   #6
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
Yeah as mentioned in Alan's post, the bezel is the only platinum piece of the YM. Yes the msrp is higher on the YM but trusted seller route can get you either watch BNIB within $500 of one another.
X2

Honestly, I would walk into an AD try them both on and you'll just know. Me personally I would get the GMT II.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2015, 02:54 AM   #7
TimeRookie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I have both but my YM is a platinum dial. The BLNR is slightly bulkier to wear but by no means uncomfortable. In my opinion the YM is a dressier watch and I wear mine as my dress watch. The BLNR is my daily watch with an Omega SM300 Master that I wear some as well.
For my lifestyle, if I had to choose one, it would be the BLNR. I rarely dress up and I'm hard on watches and think the BLNR bezel will stand up a bit better. I do use the GMT had some as well. If I was wearing dress clothes for work every day, I'd pick the YM. MY$.02... and this thread needs more pictures so:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1721.jpg (142.1 KB, 3862 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1499.jpg (97.4 KB, 3830 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1462.jpg (79.2 KB, 3827 views)
File Type: jpg KITH9372.jpg (140.8 KB, 3846 views)
Pelagos 42mm
Explorer II 226570
TimeRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 01:28 AM   #8
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

BLNR for the win.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 01:50 AM   #9
asleep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...Both watches have 40mm cases. Keep in mind the BLNR will wear more like a 41-42mm while the Yachtmaster is a bit more true to 40mm. If you have a big wrist and stature you might lean more towards the BLNR...
If you were to include the SubC/date in the size comparison, how would you characterize the differences?
asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 02:23 AM   #10
Snoop_
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14270 & 116710BLNR
Batman is tough watch to find at an AD and it will keep it value over time. If you travel a lot the GMT is great to have.
Snoop_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 December 2015, 08:21 AM   #11
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
If you were to include the SubC/date in the size comparison, how would you characterize the differences?
To me there is actually a noticeable difference in the way the SubC/date wears, but not necessarily looks.

I don't know the specs off hand, but i recently tried on a GMTIIC while having just taken off my 116610 and definitely noticed a weight difference in the case. The Sub Case is also slightly thicker. To me it actually feels more substantial, but not my much.

The look of the case on the wrist is almost identical.
Old 18 December 2015, 08:54 AM   #12
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
That is tough. Both are great watches. I used to own a YM 16622, but am now considering re-acquiring the YM 116622, but with blue dial. An absolute gorgeous timepiece.

That being said, if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the BLNR. To me, the BLNR is the best all around SS Rolex Professional Series watch currently available. Love the bi-colour bezel and GMT function. The depth rating between the two GMT and YM is the same along with the bracelet, so there is no contest there.

In the end, as others have said, go to an AD and try them both on so you can get a feel on their fit on your wrist.
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2015, 01:31 PM   #13
Alc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually don't own either but I've certainly been around these watches one way or another to offer a little bit of advice.

Let's start with function and practicality:
The gmts 24 hour hand is not for everyone, I'd be willing to bet 90% of its users have never even set it. Don't let that deter you you though, I've never taken my submariner below 8ft and My Yachtmaster has never been on even a rowboat. But it's still important to know if it's something that is important to you. If you're unfamiliar with the function, do some research so you can go into your decision in the know. Same thing applies to the directional bezel of the Yachtmaster. If there's some reason this function suits your needs, make a point to consider than when balancing the decision scale.

Aesthetics and fit:
This is likely going to be the most important aspects of your decision. Let's begin with the size. Both watches have 40mm cases. Keep in mind the BLNR will wear more like a 41-42mm while the Yachtmaster is a bit more true to 40mm. If you have a big wrist and stature you might lean more towards the BLNR. I personally tend to gravitate towards bigger watches (even with a not so big wrist) which is why I never pulled the trigger on the YM even though it is a watch I've always loved! Perhaps the size doesn't matter to you so moving on to aesthetics...

This is going to easily be the most subjective topic. Which do you like more, which is more pleasing to you eye, which sings to you, etc?

IMO the BLNR will be the more versatile watch. The YM is truly stunning, so much so that I think it pops in any scene with any outfit on any wrist. It's definitely a watch that will get more attention (IMO).

Materials: aside from the aesthetics and overall design of the watch the only difference I know of is the Ceramic bezel. Ceramic is relatively new to the watch scene so it's not for everyone. I wore a 16610 Submariner with an aluminum bezel for 15 years. I was completely blown away by the ceramic bezel on my 116610. It's become above and beyond my favorite watch and a big part of that is the ceramic bezel.

Lastly a little about you: do you have any other watches? Have you tried these watches on yet? I know you said you work in the auto business but does your job require a daily suit and tie, or mechanical attire or casual clothing?

Most important thing is that you get to an authorized dealer and try both watches on. If you don't know after that experience, keep internet stalking and researching. Instagram has a lot of amazing photos. And periodically check back in at the AD to try them on again.

Keep us updated and best of luck!
Thanks for the detailed reply. I work in the finance office, we were white long sleeve button shirts and company logos. I would want to wear with a suit when the occasion presents itself along with casual attire polo shirts. I tried on both and noticed the GMT looked bigger in dept, I like the traditional ceramic bezel and love the color combo as well. I think the Yacht master is more striking but like the signature look of the Sub and GMT
Old 23 December 2015, 01:35 PM   #14
Alc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeRookie View Post
I have both but my YM is a platinum dial. The BLNR is slightly bulkier to wear but by no means uncomfortable. In my opinion the YM is a dressier watch and I wear mine as my dress watch. The BLNR is my daily watch with an Omega SM300 Master that I wear some as well.
For my lifestyle, if I had to choose one, it would be the BLNR. I rarely dress up and I'm hard on watches and think the BLNR bezel will stand up a bit better. I do use the GMT had some as well. If I was wearing dress clothes for work every day, I'd pick the YM. MY$.02... and this thread needs more pictures so:
I wondered which bezel would take abuse better? My first watch was a Tag Link and the bezel is pretty beat down after just a few years of use.
Old 25 December 2015, 09:37 AM   #15
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alc View Post
I wondered which bezel would take abuse better? My first watch was a Tag Link and the bezel is pretty beat down after just a few years of use.
Ceramic bezel is tougher against scratches than the platinum. I love the blue dial of the YM but the bezel is a little oversized for the watch so I prefer the GMTc.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2015, 09:40 PM   #16
alcrts
"TRF" Member

I personally am going back to the Yachtmaster after selling it in the first place, getting a TT sub and now the TT has to go and a Yachtie has to come back to the box. I miss it a damn lot and imho it's one of the best..
alcrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2015, 04:21 AM   #17
Alc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecpiguet View Post
I personally am going back to the Yachtmaster after selling it in the first place, getting a TT sub and now the TT has to go and a Yachtie has to come back to the box. I miss it a damn lot and imho it's one of the best..
I originally wanted the two tone like in your avatar but seems like they are everywhere.
Old 26 December 2015, 10:23 PM   #18
alcrts
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alc View Post
I originally wanted the two tone like in your avatar but seems like they are everywhere.
They're often refered as the most iconic Sub but speaking of me personally, I haven't seen one in the wild on someone I don't know except for mine or ones some of my friends own.
alcrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 02:07 PM   #19
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Some very knowledgeable, thorough and articulate summaries, both great watches. I have neither but the GMT has always ought my eye, the first Rolex I really took note of. For functionality alone, I'd go with the GMT, it probably gets the nod in durability also. It's also more under the radar, my preference as well. Good luck in your decision.
Old 28 December 2015, 09:07 AM   #20
tomilg
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513, SD4K
Interesting thread here......Here in Scottsdale, I always see the TT Blue Subs. The gentleman next to me at breakfast last week was wearing one. However, as popular as the BLNR is on this forum, I'm yet to see one in the wild, however, I have seen the YM's, just not the blue dial YM.

Personally, I'd go with the BLNR, but it's your money, your wrist....go with what speaks to you!!
tomilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2015, 11:14 AM   #21
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

There's no loser here. For me though, the TZ function of the GMT gives it the edge.
Old 1 January 2016, 04:25 PM   #22
Timesurfer
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Daytona BLNR
GMT all the way
Timesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2016, 04:31 PM   #23
threemonkeys
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, AK, LVc
Chadri posted some well thought out points to consider. I love the YM. But I figured I would destroy the bezel. So I opted for the GMT and have no regrets.
threemonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2016, 06:43 PM   #24
ROLEX2447
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Yachtmaster II
I'm about as far from any expert one can get,given i'm 53 and bought my very first Rolex less than 2 years ago.

What i can tell you,is that I caught the disease pretty quick and ironically,have purchased all 3 of the exact same watches you are inquiring about,within the last month.

The sub is the most popular model,by my opinion so the reason you've seen it around so much,is because it is one of the older models and just wreaks of that classic Rolex design.

The GMT is also popular and not too much different than a Sub,again,by my opinion and the Yachmaster seems to me,not too much different than either of the other 2,except i believe the whole "Yachtmaster" name,gives an impression one must be the owner of a luxury Yacht,which is B.S. of course,but why i believe you don't see too many compared to the other 2.

My advice is,buy which ever you find most appealing and remember,they are each equal in quality and design,so either choice can't be the wrong one.

Just my 2 cents and good luck with whatever you choose!
ROLEX2447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 January 2016, 04:45 AM   #25
ju5t1nb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
As mentioned above, both are winners. However, I wouldn't change your mind on the GMT because you see a lot of them posted. Rolex makes close to one million watches a year, so either way there is a good chance of seeing someone with the same watch.

Buy what keeps you up at night, forget social media or what others think
ju5t1nb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 12:15 PM   #26
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Both are about even money in the secondary market right now I think. While they are both hot, my vote would go to BLNR on this one!
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 03:32 PM   #27
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
X2!
GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 January 2016, 05:26 PM   #28
Stratos
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
A tough choice.

BLNR is the obvious choice, while YM is the looker for me.

Aesthetically, I prefer the YM blue dial which is maybe one of the best-looking watches in the market.
Probably I would go for it and actually I may will.
Stratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2016, 01:09 AM   #29
Mezz72
"TRF" Member

only thing I like about the YM is the blue dial n I hate the bezel.
I'll call a spade a spade n say forget about the YM - they are not equal. if they are, you wouldn't get such a one sided support for the blnr here.
however, if the YM has a much nicer bezel then it's a different story...
Mezz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 January 2016, 08:47 AM   #30
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
What did you end up choosing as this was 3 weeks ago now :)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote