The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 November 2020, 03:45 AM   #1
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my subs
oysterquartz back from service... not good

after a bit of research i decided to send the 17013 to dallas for service.
primarily because it needed a motor, and i wanted a competent technician installing the “proper” part. also having the provenance of rsc service may help
someday.
i had a bit of back and forth with them regarding the fact that the tech insisted on
replacing the hands. eventually i assented to them replacing the hands and i will hope to pick up a set of older hands in the future.
now it appears that my original datewheel was replaced!
not authorized, not discussed, just gone.
so now we are in a discussion regarding a solution.
my suspicion is the tech will say it had to be replaced because it was work or something, does anybody know if this is a valid argument?
searching images on the web it appears its a multi piece unit.
appreciate any responses anybody has cause im pretty po’d right now.
arguscanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 03:50 AM   #2
VintageRX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguscanis View Post
after a bit of research i decided to send the 17013 to dallas for service.
primarily because it needed a motor, and i wanted a competent technician installing the “proper” part. also having the provenance of rsc service may help
someday.
i had a bit of back and forth with them regarding the fact that the tech insisted on
replacing the hands. eventually i assented to them replacing the hands and i will hope to pick up a set of older hands in the future.
now it appears that my original datewheel was replaced!
not authorized, not discussed, just gone.
so now we are in a discussion regarding a solution.
my suspicion is the tech will say it had to be replaced because it was work or something, does anybody know if this is a valid argument?
searching images on the web it appears its a multi piece unit.
appreciate any responses anybody has cause im pretty po’d right now.

Sounds like Rolex being Rolex. Sucks this happened to you, I would love to send my 1601 to Rolex for a service but this is the kind of stuff that drives me away. Hope you get something figured out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VintageRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 03:56 AM   #3
linesiders
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Ouch. Tough call. Unfortunately servicing an Oyster Quartz limits where you can go with that kind of work.
Old 19 November 2020, 04:11 AM   #4
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

yep...
Old 19 November 2020, 04:34 AM   #5
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

as to the argument for precisely fitted part etc., I asked them to replace an incorrect bracelet screw and they just ground a longer one down (poorly) and put it in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 6E12C31E-50AB-42F2-8EE3-5B0529D2B028.jpeg (66.7 KB, 555 views)
Old 19 November 2020, 07:55 AM   #6
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

my suspicion is the tech will say it had to be replaced because it was "WORN" or something"
Old 19 November 2020, 08:23 AM   #7
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
I feel your pain. Condolences. I've heard some bad stories about the Dallas RSC, some on this forum, but who knows if they're any worse than other RSCs. Clearly not good in this case.

Did your paperwork specifically say not to change the date wheel or any other parts besides the hands, as agreed? It's odd because presumably you had to agree to the cost of everything in advance, and sign the paperwork, and I assume the date wheel wasn't mentioned.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 09:16 AM   #8
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Never heard of a date wheel wearing out. Hang in there. Keep us posted
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 09:42 AM   #9
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126610LV
Pretty sure this happened to poster Old Expat Beast as well and he was able to get the date wheel back for his Oysterquartz.
ronricks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 10:00 AM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear this. I hate these stories.
Old 19 November 2020, 12:11 PM   #11
mbc
2024 Pledge Member

Sorry to hear -- fyi I sent my OQ to where I send all my Vintage Rolexes -- Phillip Ridley. Phillip took his time to diagnose its issues and did end up changing the motor for me, now good as new --- don't assume RSC is only answer for these watches
mbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Pretty sure this happened to poster Old Expat Beast as well and he was able to get the date wheel back for his Oysterquartz.
Wow...good memory!

That was 2014, as I recall. Didn't realise they'd replaced it till the 6th (open 6) rolled around, and then had to wait a few days until the Lunar New Year holidays were over (that felt like forever) to get back to the RSC. Luckily they still had the old one, and put it back. RSC sees the datewheel as a perishable/replaceable part, just like any movement part (i.e. mainspring), so don't tell you when they replace it as standard.
Old 19 November 2020, 01:49 PM   #13
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Qq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Wow...good memory!

That was 2014, as I recall. Didn't realise they'd replaced it till the 6th (open 6) rolled around, and then had to wait a few days until the Lunar New Year holidays were over (that felt like forever) to get back to the RSC. Luckily they still had the old one, and put it back. RSC sees the datewheel as a perishable/replaceable part, just like any movement part (i.e. mainspring), so don't tell you when they replace it as standard.
I remember OEB's experience with the datewheel, too. Lucky to have gotten the old one back.

I was nervous letting the RSC service my OQ because of this, but they did everything I wanted and nothing I didn't.

It was an awesome job, to be fair, but I wouldn't use them for other pieces if there's a trustworthy alternative who's sympathetic to vintage. Just too much risk of them doing something you don't want and didn't agree to.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 01:54 PM   #14
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc View Post
Sorry to hear -- fyi I sent my OQ to where I send all my Vintage Rolexes -- Phillip Ridley. Phillip took his time to diagnose its issues and did end up changing the motor for me, now good as new --- don't assume RSC is only answer for these watches
Interesting. I assume he was able to purchase a cache of OQ parts as I know Rolex is very tight with the electronic parts for the OQ. Good to,have another option. I am forever on the hunt for a 17000 or 17013 to have refurbished. It will happen eventually.
Old 19 November 2020, 01:55 PM   #15
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Ugh RSC is a complete joke!
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 02:24 PM   #16
Rollright
"TRF" Member

I got mine serviced locally non-ad. And I have to say that I kind of wish I went rsc. Maybe the grass is always greener...

What happened with me is the lume pips went away after the service. I have no conclusive reason why and the watchmaker played dumb. But I can speculate the following:

Vintage parts are old, finicky and worn. And sometimes even the most typical handling could cause damage. In my case, maybe a lume pip or pips fell or came off during servicing. And in order to keep consistancy, all pips were removed (maybe they were hoping i wouldn't notice).

But with your case, it could be the datewheel got scratched or numeral paint rubbing off or a datwheel tooth came off.

Now if the watchmaker leaves everything original and discloses the damage during service, most customers will be understandably upset. And if the part is changed or fixed, the customer will also be pissed because the value lies in all original parts. So the watchmaker will lose either way.

And let's say the watchmaker leaves everything all original and later down the road, another old part fails somehow. Now you have to get the watch fixed again and not only its a pain for the customer but the watchmakers reputation suffers. So maybe that's why rsc always insist on upgrading to new parts.

So long story short, vintage watches need extra special attention and there's no guarantee of perfection.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Rollright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 02:56 PM   #17
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
I guess RSC is not a good choice for anything with patina or period specific parts. Seems like a lot of stories on TRF like this one.
Old 19 November 2020, 03:26 PM   #18
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollright View Post

...the lume pips went away after the service. I have no conclusive reason why and the watchmaker played dumb.
That's absolutely unacceptable. WTF?
Old 19 November 2020, 07:34 PM   #19
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

I wish the minutia had never crept into date wheels...

The truth is..they do wear and they don't always function exactly right when they do.

I would say this is especially true pre 3135 where they kind of float in the lip of an exposed ring above the movement. If they have the slightest bend or if the outside edge wears down from 60 years of use...they may jump out of place...or not change correctly. The paint may start to flake...and get in the rest of the watch after it is serviced...it's precious to you...but to them...not so much.

I get it...but from their perspective...a come back is a headache and they have to eat the expense and at least the shipping back to you....

It's the same with case tubes and crowns...I NEVER replace a case tube or a crown unless it's obviously worn and or fails a water test. I also don't warranty water resistance. It's water proof when it leaves. I spoke with Bob Ridley about this extensively one afternoon. And independent watchmaker can't really afford the liability. We do the best we can to handle your watch with kid gloves and make it right. If you go swimming after the fact and something goes wrong...if it passed when it left here...it's on you and your gear. I can't afford to cover your $40,000.00 dial...for 500-600 dollar repair...especially when you may or may not like the crown or tube I use....and if I do that...those parts cost money and they up your repair bill. On an automatic watch...that crown and tube are not generally opened enough times in 6 years to need replacing.

For them, they've done the math. They're warrantying that against everything...they know that the odds are MUCH superior against any water intrusion if they just simply throw a new crown and tube on there every time and make you pay for it.

The odds are if they replace the calendar disc...they won't have a calendar issue. The part costs them pennies to make. It's not worth it to them, unless YOU make issue. What if they're doing your fragile matte dial sub...that's ONE more time...that has to come out of the case and off the watch...because the disc screwed up...How many 1680 dials have you seen with CHUNKS of black paint missing. A LOT...they're fragile. I almost won't take one. They don't want to have to spend the 2 hours that it takes to go back through and put a disc in after the fact and re test everything. They do it while it's apart.

Just my 2 cents. Personally I just don't care about the date wheel. Does it turn over close to midnight and snap correctly into place in the window?
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 10:11 PM   #20
1William
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Such is the ownership experience with obscure models that are no longer produced. I get the RSC should do this and that but that is not the way it works and there are many testaments to issues with most of the Service Centers. Situations like this is why I no longer deal with vintage watches and cars. Not that I don't like them, it is almost always an issue with service, parts and repairs. I am sorry that the OP had a bad experience but I would just go on with it and enjoy the watch.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 11:09 PM   #21
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.W.T. View Post
Very interesting to get a watchmaker's take on it as opposed to a vintage collector's take. Thanks for taking the time.

Watchmakers focus on function, of course, while collectors tend to focus more on original condition and may not be as bothered about function. It's oil and water in view of the prices that original vintage pieces fetch these days...
Old 21 November 2020, 03:48 AM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm guilty of this. I love me some open 6s and 9s. A replaced date wheel is a deal-breaker for me on any purchase.
Old 21 November 2020, 03:32 PM   #23
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
I'm guilty of this. I love me some open 6s and 9s. A replaced date wheel is a deal-breaker for me on any purchase.
I understand. No real quarrel from me, just kind of pointing out their perspective.

It's funny...if it had come with a closed 6 in the first place...it wouldn't bother anyone...

I guess the fault lies with Rolex...they should stay consistent in the design then no one would have anything to bitch about lol...well no we'd find something .

It's their "oyster" so to speak I guess..
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2020, 03:18 AM   #24
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I understand. No real quarrel from me, just kind of pointing out their perspective.

It's funny...if it had come with a closed 6 in the first place...it wouldn't bother anyone...

I guess the fault lies with Rolex...they should stay consistent in the design then no one would have anything to bitch about lol...well no we'd find something .

It's their "oyster" so to speak I guess..
Totally agree. We're a picky bunch with OCD. It's not always logical.

Forget date wheels. How about the tiny difference of font on a bezel insert that can be considered "incorrect" if a "5" is slightly elongated or not? Insane.
Old 23 November 2020, 07:25 AM   #25
arguscanis
2024 Pledge Member

I am still waiting for a call back from the Customer Service supervisor. 5 days and counting.
How is waiting a week for a return call even customer service?
Oh, heres before and after...
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg E3B6FC25-9383-4B2E-9F13-D6378FB4FD7C.jpeg (102.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpeg 7929EE7E-1FB3-4CD2-BF21-275341BFD9BF.jpeg (90.0 KB, 174 views)
Old 23 November 2020, 07:55 AM   #26
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Man, that sucks. Though....and while this may not apply to yours...there are date wheels that have all open 6s and 9s EXCEPT for a closed 26
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 06:32 AM   #27
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
So, maybe a stupid question, but to reiterate what Kingface66 said.
If you originally had an open 6 date wheel, then you might just have had one with all open except on 26, this is what I have had on all my 70s Rolex watches. Have you checked all of the numbers with 6 and 9 in them?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2020, 09:05 AM   #28
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
...then you might just have had one with all open except on 26, this is what I have had on all my 70s Rolex watches. Have you checked all of the numbers with 6 and 9 in them?
This. My 1971 GMT has all open sixes except the 26, which is closed. I believe it to be the original date wheel.
Old 24 November 2020, 09:29 AM   #29
ronricks
2024 Pledge Member

Might be a silly question but what are the date wheels made out of? It looks kinda like a cardboard material?