The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 November 2020, 08:16 AM   #1
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Travel watches

Just curious how others feel — When traveling overseas, I never bring a Rolex or other watch that I don’t consider “disposable” — too concerned with thieves and attracting unnecessary attention to oneself, especially in large cities. Am I alone in this concern?
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:31 AM   #2
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
Just curious how others feel — When traveling overseas, I never bring a Rolex or other watch that I don’t consider “disposable” — too concerned with thieves and attracting unnecessary attention to oneself, especially in large cities. Am I alone in this concern?
The likelihood of being spotted wearing your Rolex is tiny, the chance of you being attacked and the watch stolen is smaller still.

But, there is a small risk.

It can be reduced by applying some common sense, be aware of your surroundings, most major tourist spots are well covered by Police and therefore should be very safe. But, if you wander off into areas not frequented by lots of people, is poorly lit and doesn't look a good place to be, you could be at risk so maybe don't go there.

Hundreds of thousands of people travel each year wearing expensive watches, bracelets or other items of jewellery, almost all of them will return without incident.

Yes there is a risk, it is tiny, it is unlikely to happy to you but if you are unhappy or worried get a cheap watch and wear that.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 08:45 AM   #3
septantrionalis
"TRF" Member

I dunno... I should be more "paranoid" about this than I actually am. I'm pretty much of the mentality that I purchased this nice watch, I am going to wear it. I do wear this watch pretty much 24/7. So far, I've taken it on a trip to Sweden and India and in both cases, I didn't think about it. Reflecting back to my India trip, I probably made some stupid decisions. I remember wanting to get a snack late at night and meandering the busy streets of New Delhi by myself wearing a Rolex. Nothing happened at least.
Old 25 November 2020, 09:11 AM   #4
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I’m sure you’re not alone in your concern, but I just wear mine basically everywhere. I just sort of stay aware of my surroundings and don’t go flashing it or showing it off.
Old 25 November 2020, 09:15 AM   #5
BobbyKeetaNow
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGT3 View Post
No. Definitely wouldn't bring my Rolex overseas --- certainly, anywhere I was being a tourist. _Maybe_ if it were appropriate to a business meeting/formal occasion I would pack it. But Rolexes are recognized _everywhere_, and if you're just wearing it for the sake of enjoyment first and foremost, better leave it at home and bring something more practical instead.

(Might I suggest a Casio Duro? Famously Bill Gates' watch of choice, and perfectly respectable for day-to-day travel as an international tourist. And the archetype of disposable as well.)
BobbyKeetaNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:25 AM   #6
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
The likelihood of being spotted wearing your Rolex is tiny, the chance of you being attacked and the watch stolen is smaller still.

But, there is a small risk.

It can be reduced by applying some common sense, be aware of your surroundings, most major tourist spots are well covered by Police and therefore should be very safe. But, if you wander off into areas not frequented by lots of people, is poorly lit and doesn't look a good place to be, you could be at risk so maybe don't go there.

Hundreds of thousands of people travel each year wearing expensive watches, bracelets or other items of jewellery, almost all of them will return without incident.

Yes there is a risk, it is tiny, it is unlikely to happy to you but if you are unhappy or worried get a cheap watch and wear that.
If we’re talking about “a tiny chance of being spotted wearing a Rolex” that may be true of the overall population but the probability increases dramatically when talking about thieves because they are specifically looking for these types of high value assets and jewelry. This makes you a target of maybe not necessarily your watch, although that is a possibility, but perhaps more a target of pickpockets who can see you’re not an average mark. I’ve seen pick pockets on the streets and public transportation in France, Italy, Mexico also grab and dash both on foot and with 2 guys on a motorbike with the passenger grabbing bags or necklaces etc. IDK, it just seems like one less than think to worry about when in inherintly unfamiliar territory.
SDGT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:26 AM   #7
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Always take my watch with me wherever I go.

Just practice some common sense wearing it.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:27 AM   #8
borispolk
"TRF" Member

I wear mine all the time. Even if you travel to country which has lower average income they will just think it's fake as ther "bazaar" is full of fakes. So no problem in poor country and no problem in rich one. I would say dressing for attention is possible by having a Rolex or not having. Which makes a big difference in the eye of a thief. If you dress like homeless and have Rolex you shouldn't worry. If you dress classy and have Apple watch I would be pretty careful (personal experience, so you can believe me).
borispolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:30 AM   #9
ecdc
"TRF" Member

Honestly it depends where you go. I wouldn't wear one in Barcelona, for example. That city's reputation -- deserved or not -- is that it's too risky to wear expensive wristwatches there. But I wore a SS Daytona all over Italy and Eastern Europe the first half of this year (we were on vacation and got "stuck" when borders and airports closed down) and never had a moment's concern.
ecdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:34 AM   #10
bp1000
"TRF" Member

On one hand you have old dudes wearing their yg dd for life and have no issues then you get assaults and robberies

I’ve worn my watches, blue, green subs and Pepsi all over London, so has my wife.

Thing is, these past few years I’ve had friends assaulted for their watches or heard of things like this increasing.

It use to be a no go zone in places like Barcelona, Naples, Cape Town where I wouldn’t wear my watches. Now I tend to tone it down. I’ll take a Tudor and an omega on leather.

I’m sure many would disagree, but for me, it’s just not worth an invasion on myself, despite the chances being very slim
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:41 AM   #11
Paul7
Banned

First of all it depends how blingy your Rolex is, there is a difference between an Exp. II 16570 like I wear and PM watch. It's insured, so I wear mine everywhere, if in a more sketchy area I'll put it under my sleeve or in my pocket. Situational awareness is important no matter where you are.

Agreed, Spain is terrible with petty thieves, once ran into a lady from the UK there who had her purse stolen twice in one week. Far different than when my wife grew up there in the Franco era......
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:42 AM   #12
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Depends on where you are from in the States and where you holiday. I mean if you are from a small town with very little crime and you holiday in poverty stricken danger zones, then yea it's probably worth leaving the watch at home.
If on the other hand you live in a regular city in the states, and travel to regular places in other countries you will probably be as safe or safer on holiday.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:48 AM   #13
downtorock
2024 Pledge Member

I pretty much wear my watch wherever I go. I’m conscious of my surroundings and treat people with respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
downtorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 09:53 AM   #14
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Went I went abroad I wore my 16610 everywhere, and anyplace, doing anything. Simply just was not something I thought about. But that was well before all this insta hype and age makes one a little more cautious I suppose.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:06 AM   #15
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
When I know I'm going to be traveling in a risky area, regardless of whether it's in the U.S. or elsewhere, I leave my expensive watch in a safe place and wear a cheap quartz watch I won't mind losing.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:11 AM   #16
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Depends, where is 'overseas' and how is the travel? Are you backpacking and sleeping in tents, or are you checking into 4 star hotels in large metropolitan areas?

Every time I have traveled overseas, both my wife and I have had our Rolexes on (perhaps this last time going to Paris I had my Seiko PADI because I just felt like it or something.) But every time, we travel with our Rolexes and in the hotels we stay, we see at least 20-30% of other people who are wearing equally or more expensive watches than us.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:13 AM   #17
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
Depends on what you’re used to. If you don’t want to wear a Rolex in Paris you shouldn’t wear one in New York. Living in the USA is not like living in Switzerland. The US is more of a risk than many places you’ll visit. All depends where you are going and where you come from. It should be an obvious decision. Burkina Faso: no
Liberia: no
Norway: ok
Slovenia: ok

Etc

Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:18 AM   #18
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
I wear my Rolex everywhere, and love having my GMT when traveling overseas because of the very useful 3-timezone functionality. But I just go to "regular" places -- London, Cardiff, Malta, Hawaii, LA, New York City, Seattle, etc. The only two places I wore it where I was nervous was in Cancun and in Las Vegas. In both areas, I found myself in a situation where I noticed someone following me, so quickly ducked into a restaurant and waited for them to move on. Even so, I always keep situational awareness, don't go anywhere risky, and so will still wear my GMT wherever I travel.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:18 AM   #19
Lesnerelli23
"TRF" Member

I had a bit of a nervous interaction in Las Vegas, but I'm disable so I'm somewhat of an easy target. I bought a Squale GMT to wear for traveling, at least to questionable areas. I still wanted Swiss quality but not "luxury".
Lesnerelli23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:20 AM   #20
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
It depends for me. I’ve lived and traveled extensively in the UK. Several of my friends were robbed/mugged. However, a common denominator in almost all those scenarios was late night drinking and running their mouths. I avoid 2 of those 3 things So, I worry little.

The only time I felt truly uncomfortable was in The Philippines, where it was crowded and constantly being bumped into, where if my watch/wallet was lifted, I wouldn’t be aware.
So, it’s not really the place but the situation. I’d feel the same way at a concert.

At the same time, I felt uncomfortable wearing a watch in a place where it’s value can alter a person’s life. So, I stick with my SKX. Plus The Philippines is the first place I tried one on.

Here in the US, I feel perfectly comfortable, for the most part. Then again, it’s home. Not a lot of mystery.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:22 AM   #21
dkg1616
"TRF" Member

Bring one and don’t take it off

If you’re really traveling to a place that unsafe - ask yourself why? And if you still want to go then don’t bring your Rolex lol
dkg1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:27 AM   #22
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

I appreciate we all live in our bubbles and other countries present an unknown, but you need to put it in perspective.
Spain for example often gets bought up on these threads, as Barcelona does appear to have a high number of pickpockets, but then people seem lump everywhere as "overseas" being more risky than where they live.
There were 290 murders in Spain in 2018 (the latest results I can find) the USA had 16,214 in the same year. The upshot of this is that crime is reported differently, where a violent mugging may get reported as national news in one country it may not get reported at all in another.
I've been to over 50 countries and statistically speaking if I overthought it, with the exception of 4 countries, (EDIT:, actually 6 countries) visiting the States presents the biggest threat to my life, do you think that puts me or any other European off, of course not.
The fact is if you are travelling somewhere dangerous, don't wear it, if you are just travelling don't overthink it.
Old 25 November 2020, 10:27 AM   #23
whattimeyougot
"TRF" Member

I’d feel bad leaving it behind and missing out on the opportunity to make memories with it on my wrist. Just use common sense and you should be fine. Consider insurance perhaps.

whattimeyougot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:33 AM   #24
JebM
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
I’ve got insurance and long sleeves wear your Rolex...

JebM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:41 AM   #25
dchernikoff
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
I appreciate we all live in our bubbles and other countries present an unknown, but you need to put it in perspective.
Spain for example often gets bought up on these threads, as Barcelona does appear to have a high number of pickpockets, but then people seem lump everywhere as "overseas" being more risky than where they live.
There were 290 murders in Spain in 2018 (the latest results I can find) the USA had 16,214 in the same year. The upshot of this is that crime is reported differently, where a violent mugging may get reported as national news in one country it may not get reported at all in another.
I've been to over 50 countries and statistically speaking if I overthought it, with the exception of 4 countries, visiting the States presents the biggest threat to my life, do you think that puts me or any other European off, of course not.
The fact is if you are travelling somewhere dangerous, don't wear it, if you are just travelling don't overthink it.
I have never felt unsafe traveling in Europe, and one of the riskiest place I've ever been was Las Vegas. There are places in the US that I would not go, even though I was born here and have lived here for 60+ years. I'm sure that's the same in Europe though, don't you think? When we live someplace, we know where not to go (don't go to Anacostia in Washington D.C., or Harlem in NYC, at night -- anyone who lives there just knows that). And when you travel, well you just need to use good sense.

-Dan
"Wear the watch, don't let the watch wear you!"
dchernikoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2020, 10:41 AM   #26
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcarver View Post
I've been to over 50 countries and statistically speaking if I overthought it, with the exception of 4 countries, (EDIT:, actually 6 countries) visiting the States presents the biggest threat to my life, do you think that puts me or any other European off, of course not.
Hahaha case in point, I have just read these headlines in the Japanese national news under "Crime". "Hokkaido woman arrested for poking holes in 13 expensive melons with finger".
"Kyoto man arrested for opening packs of 'Demon Slayer' key chains until finding one he wanted"
Old 25 November 2020, 10:44 AM   #27
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchernikoff View Post
I have never felt unsafe traveling in Europe, and one of the riskiest place I've ever been was Las Vegas. There are places in the US that I would not go, even though I was born here and have lived here for 60+ years. I'm sure that's the same in Europe though, don't you think? When we live someplace, we know where not to go (don't go to Anacostia in Washington D.C., or Harlem in NYC, at night -- anyone who lives there just knows that). And when you travel, well you just need to use good sense.

-Dan
Absolutely yes. Its all about location, not travelling in general.
Old 25 November 2020, 10:44 AM   #28
Frakis
2024 Pledge Member

I have worn my Rolex watches in Europe and the US. I am with the crowd that says "situational awareness." I wear my watches for my enjoyment, and no one else.

There was only one situation that made me feel uncomfortable when I was traveling in Europe a couple years ago. There was a young boy who was around 8 years old playing some music on the streets with an older boy (possibly his brother). My wife and I were ordering ice cream in the marketplace within a few feet of the street performers, and the young lad stopped beating on his empty buckets. He started staring at my wrist. I was wearing my 16710BLRO. I may be paranoid, but I noticed that he stopped, and his brother kept beating away.

Perhaps he was admiring the colors of the Pepsi insert, and is a WIS in the making I unrolled my long sleeve shirt to cover my wrist, and we both made eye contact. I was letting him know I noticed that he noticed my watch. I told my wife let's go. I had no idea if he was a "spotter." If they were a team, and did a grab and dash I would have no idea finding my way around the small streets and allyways surrounding the Plaza. Again, I admit I may have overreacted, but I felt uncomfortable.

Always be cautious. There are criminals constantly looking for an opportunity.
Old 25 November 2020, 10:56 AM   #29
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frakis View Post
I have worn my Rolex watches in Europe and the US. I am with the crowd that says "situational awareness." I wear my watches for my enjoyment, and no one else.

There was only one situation that made me feel uncomfortable when I was traveling in Europe a couple years ago. There was a young boy who was around 8 years old playing some music on the streets with an older boy (possibly his brother). My wife and I were ordering ice cream in the marketplace within a few feet of the street performers, and the young lad stopped beating on his empty buckets. He started staring at my wrist. I was wearing my 16710BLRO. I may be paranoid, but I noticed that he stopped, and his brother kept beating away.

Perhaps he was admiring the colors of the Pepsi insert, and is a WIS in the making I unrolled my long sleeve shirt to cover my wrist, and we both made eye contact. I was letting him know I noticed that he noticed my watch. I told my wife let's go. I had no idea if he was a "spotter." If they were a team, and did a grab and dash I would have no idea finding my way around the small streets and allyways surrounding the Plaza. Again, I admit I may have overreacted, but I felt uncomfortable.

Always be cautious. There are criminals constantly looking for an opportunity.
No offence intended but this is what I meant by my earlier post of lumping places together. Europe is full of vastly different countries, its a continent, Its similar to me saying "when I was travelling to North America" obviously wearing a Rolex in Mexico is going to come with different risks than wearing it Canada.
Old 25 November 2020, 10:56 AM   #30
D.P.G.
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR (2019)
Being an international pilot my watch follows me around the world, have been wearing a Submariner Date from 2007 until 2019 then a GMT Master ll (BLNR) for the last year and have never had a single incident of concern.
D.P.G. is offline   Reply With Quote