The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 November 2020, 11:38 PM   #61
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Years ago, on a visit to NYC I decided to get and wear a Citizen eco-drive instead of my sub, you know, to be more low key. Later I realized that the Citizen with it's shiny finish, was actually more noticeable than my subtle, brushed SS Rolex. Since then I've worn a Rolex to dangerous places such as NYC (again) and London and even Raleigh NC.

No issues.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 12:53 AM   #62
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
Years ago, on a visit to NYC I decided to get and wear a Citizen eco-drive instead of my sub, you know, to be more low key. Later I realized that the Citizen with it's shiny finish, was actually more noticeable than my subtle, brushed SS Rolex. Since then I've worn a Rolex to dangerous places such as NYC (again) and London and even Raleigh NC.

No issues.
Exactly, it's like when you hear people take their Tudor instead of their Rolex, they both look like nice watches.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:02 AM   #63
inglewood1026
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060
If you have insurance you're fine. Maybe throw it on a rubber everest strap to make it low key? I went to Rome and the Amalfi coast a few years back - no issues with my Sub on an everest strap...and Rome is like the pick pocket capital of the world.
inglewood1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:08 AM   #64
DoctorA
"TRF" Member

I travel overseas with my rolex. The world isn’t just waiting for you to show up with your watch to mug you!!
Be reasonable and avoid “risky” places and you should be fine!
Old 26 November 2020, 01:25 AM   #65
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Before retiring I spent about half of my working life traveling globally on business. I wore my 1675 pepsi GMT on all of my trips. At an initial meeting in one country with my in-country colleagues, I was told that my hand could be severed in order to take my watch, so it would be best to leave it in the hotel safe when walking outside.

From then on, I traveled with two watches: my 1675 and a cheap no-name quartz.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:54 AM   #66
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
My Rolex GMT II has been a trusted companion around the world. But with the baggage that comes with the Rolex brand, both good & bad, I feel more at ease wearing my BB GMT. All the same features without the all too easy to identify cyclops.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 02:16 AM   #67
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Cooper View Post
I was told that my hand could be severed in order to take my watch, so it would be best to leave it in the hotel safe when walking outside.
Huh. That makes it difficult to go shopping and carry stuff, doesn't it?

Oh, no. You meant leave the watch in the safe, not your hand?

Never mind.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 03:48 AM   #68
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Huh. That makes it difficult to go shopping and carry stuff, doesn't it?

Oh, no. You meant leave the watch in the safe, not your hand?

Never mind.
Uh, yeah; I meant leaving the watch in the hotel safe. Thanks for prompting the clarification.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:06 AM   #69
Combine man
"TRF" Member

Have worn various Rolexes in African countries and India over the years,my only worry was being asked to take your watch off to go in the basket for the metal detector,have refused to remove it in recent years. Be so easy for it to be lifted during this process,what do others do?
Combine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:20 AM   #70
supernova
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
Travel watches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine man View Post
Have worn various Rolexes in African countries and India over the years,my only worry was being asked to take your watch off to go in the basket for the metal detector,have refused to remove it in recent years. Be so easy for it to be lifted during this process,what do others do?

I just do what I’m told at security and take it off rather than argue or cause hassle to staff or fellow travelers.

It’s easy to keep an eye on it going in and coming out of the X-ray machine and it’s generally a place with more cameras than anywhere else!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
supernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:35 AM   #71
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Exactly, it's like when you hear people take their Tudor instead of their Rolex, they both look like nice watches.
I disagree, my Pelagos looks like a scratched up dull watch even to watch snobs

Really though I do wear my Pelagos when traveling, even some areas in the states and for Craiglist type purchase deals. I also disagree with tourist areas being safe, literally the only times people have swiped for my wallet has been packed concerts and heavily trafficked tourist areas. I don't even use a real wallet when traveling anymore, just an ID, a card or two and some cash wrapped with one of my wife's hair ties in my front pocket.

A big surprise was a weekend trip to Seattle couple years ago, we didn't think anything of it when we flew up. My wife is a cop and she was on absolute red alert walking near Pike street after dinner back to the hotel, neither of us felt safe with Rolex watches and her jewelry, we drew more eyes there than any place I can remember. I never trust a hotel safe either so it was long sleeves and situational awareness for the rest of that trip.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:42 AM   #72
slus
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD, Pelagos
Quote:
I was asked to remove it a few times, I just politely shook my head and said no thanks, no one had a problem with it after that. One time after the body scanner a TSA agent said he would have to take a look at the watch on my wrist, which he did, and said "very nice watch, have a good flight". I've had them hand back my wallet to take through the body scanner held in my hand as well, rather than leave it on the belt with visible cash.
slus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 05:55 AM   #73
MrMercedes
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many!
I always travel with my 116713LN! Perfect watch!
MrMercedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 07:18 AM   #74
tjs1295
"TRF" Member

I don't understand the "just have insurance" comments. Is that simply so the watch can be replaced if stolen? Some theft situations might be pretty benign, but I imagine it could also be pretty psychologically and physically traumatizing. Having my watch replaced with insurance money probably won't make me feel better about being beaten over the head with a tire iron just so someone can steal my watch. That also doesn't take into account the potential danger people travelling with you might experience.

Sometimes I travel with a nice watch, sometimes I don't. I just don't understand the following conversation.

"I'm travelling to a very dangerous part of the world with a lot of crime, should I wear my Rolex?"
"Is it insured?"
"Yes."
"No worries then, you're good to go."
tjs1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 07:40 AM   #75
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs1295 View Post
I don't understand the "just have insurance" comments. Is that simply so the watch can be replaced if stolen? Some theft situations might be pretty benign, but I imagine it could also be pretty psychologically and physically traumatizing. Having my watch replaced with insurance money probably won't make me feel better about being beaten over the head with a tire iron just so someone can steal my watch. That also doesn't take into account the potential danger people travelling with you might experience.

Sometimes I travel with a nice watch, sometimes I don't. I just don't understand the following conversation.

"I'm travelling to a very dangerous part of the world with a lot of crime, should I wear my Rolex?"
"Is it insured?"
"Yes."
I would hand over the watch long before the tire iron came into play. If in the US, there's a good chance my concealed carry permit would be used. Unless the watch has sentimental value or is inherited, you can always get another.

I for one don't go on vacation to very dangerous parts of the world with lots of crime. Spain has been mentioned here, crime there from my experience is petty property crime, which includes taking your watch, but not so much violent crime and murders as we have in many parts of the US.
Old 26 November 2020, 07:44 AM   #76
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
I was asked to remove it a few times, I just politely shook my head and said no thanks, no one had a problem with it after that. One time after the body scanner a TSA agent said he would have to take a look at the watch on my wrist, which he did, and said "very nice watch, have a good flight". I've had them hand back my wallet to take through the body scanner held in my hand as well, rather than leave it on the belt with visible cash.
I hold my wallet going through security also, for this reason:

https://consumerist.com/2015/09/21/t...ty-checkpoint/

No way would I ever put my Rolex in the bin. Another tip, I've heard it wise to put your carry on luggage directly opposite your seat where you can see it in the overhead carrier, I've heard of people especially on long flights stealing from carry on pieces.
Old 26 November 2020, 07:47 AM   #77
tjs1295
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I would hand over the watch long before the tire iron came into play. If in the US, there's a good chance my concealed carry permit would be used. Unless the watch has sentimental value or is inherited, you can always get another.

I for one don't go on vacation to very dangerous parts of the world with lots of crime. Spain has been mentioned here, crime there from my experience is petty property crime, which includes taking your watch, but not so much violent crime and murders as we have in many parts of the US.
That's what I'm getting at. I'd love to hand it over (or use my concealed permit) as well, but that's assuming you get the opportunity. The tire iron might show up from behind without you even knowing. I see your point about the non-violent crime out there as well.
tjs1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 07:47 AM   #78
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slus View Post
A big surprise was a weekend trip to Seattle couple years ago, we didn't think anything of it when we flew up. My wife is a cop and she was on absolute red alert walking near Pike street after dinner back to the hotel, neither of us felt safe with Rolex watches and her jewelry, we drew more eyes there than any place I can remember. I never trust a hotel safe either so it was long sleeves and situational awareness for the rest of that trip.
Lots of sketchy people at Pike Place Market. Rolex watches and jewelry will stand out there, people IMHO wear less 'blingy' things than in Texas for example.
Old 26 November 2020, 07:50 AM   #79
breed
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
I've probably flown 500K miles internationally in the last 5 years on 5 continents and never had an issue with my Exp2 Polar or my GMTs (Batman and my old 1675).

I had my seatmate once point out my Polar and showed me his Polar. The first and only time I've seen another Polar in the wild.
Old 26 November 2020, 07:51 AM   #80
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
That's what I'm getting at. I'd love to hand it over (or use my concealed permit) as well, but that's assuming you get the opportunity. The tire iron might show up from behind without you even knowing. I see your point about the non-violent crime out there as well.
In crowds under your sleeve is always wise, I've thought about next trip wearing a terry cloth wristband over my watch when wearing short sleeves.

I haven't heard of many stolen watches in Europe where a tire iron to the head was used, that really would be attempted murder way over the line from a petty theft crime.
Old 26 November 2020, 08:19 AM   #81
GMT Aviator
2024 Pledge Member

Airline Pilot, travel all over the world, a lot, not so much this last year obviously, but where I go, so does my LN GMT. From LA to The Maldives, from inside the Arctic Circle to Cape Town and everywhere in between. No problems.
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 08:24 AM   #82
DNX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by septantrionalis View Post
I dunno... I should be more "paranoid" about this than I actually am. I'm pretty much of the mentality that I purchased this nice watch, I am going to wear it. I do wear this watch pretty much 24/7. So far, I've taken it on a trip to Sweden and India and in both cases, I didn't think about it. Reflecting back to my India trip, I probably made some stupid decisions. I remember wanting to get a snack late at night and meandering the busy streets of New Delhi by myself wearing a Rolex. Nothing happened at least.
But...in central New Delhi late at night you wont find many people who know what a Rolex is...
DNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 09:13 AM   #83
SDGT3
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 Daytona Blusy
Quote:

"Is it insured?"
"Yes."
It is interesting reading everyone’s perspectives and I don’t question it because it’s their reality. However..... to think that touristy spots are “safe” is not reality. Most property crimes are crimes of opportunity and although you may not be hit on the head with a tire iron while viewing the Fountain of Trevi, there’s a good chance a professional pick pocket will lift or “bump” into you and take something.
Then there are the nicer areas where you think you’re safe like my son in law who was exiting a restaurant in a nice area of London and was jumped and removed of his wallet, watch and phone.
As far as the pilots, I’m not certain they are going to the same areas a typical tourist frequents day in and day out.
The story you told about Pikes just doesn’t sound like a fun experience.
SDGT3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 12:14 PM   #84
jlovda
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513,1675,216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova View Post
I just do what I’m told at security and take it off rather than argue or cause hassle to staff or fellow travelers.

It’s easy to keep an eye on it going in and coming out of the X-ray machine and it’s generally a place with more cameras than anywhere else!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I live near Cleveland. I once had $1K in cash in a money belt. At CLE, I had to go through one of the scanners that looks like a cylindrical phone booth. Even though it was not metal the agent told me to remove it and try again. He would not touch the belt but told me to put it in a basket where another agent took it about 25 ft. away to go through the regular x-ray conveyor. I was in a position where I could do NOTHING if someone grabbed it and walked off. The agent by the scanner had zero interest if I was carrying the Hope diamond. I had to follow his directions and stand in the machine. I was so glad I had my cheap Swatch.
jlovda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:28 PM   #85
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Just be careful in the states regardless or overseas. Use your gray cells and you will know if you should or not.

Careful is key that’s all.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 01:40 PM   #86
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:

No issues.
Gotta watch out for Raleigh
Old 26 November 2020, 01:41 PM   #87
7sins
"TRF" Member

32 countries and counting, never an issue. Always bring my batman, sometimes an AP or my old RM depending on the country.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 02:01 PM   #88
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Of my two watches (DD40 in WG and JLC Dualmatic) I wear the JLC when traveling to an area where I am less than familiar of my surroundings. Both watches are insured so the threat is more around my personal safety rather than the loss of property. That being said, I do feel that when I am wearing my DD40 I am more conscious of my surroundings so maybe that is a good thing.

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 02:18 PM   #89
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
I have a travel watch. A Seiko skx007 diver.
NachoNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2020, 03:31 PM   #90
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I put everything in my small carry on bag before I get to the airport. Watch wallet keys even my phone, anything that would set off the detector. So no one sees what goes into my bag and I don’t have to fumble with emptying my pockets while going through the checkpoints, and also nothing valuable is in view while separated from me.

I usually only have my passport and boarding pass on me and I can usually keep those in my pocket or in my hand while going through the metal detector.
3581512 is offline   Reply With Quote